• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Raist

Banned
200k per cell? In that case, maybe gold *is* slightly more fruitful.

200k for 500 pieces of gold (so yeah 1 full stack in the ship) if you find someone buying it at double the price yeah. Of course that's like only 10 cubes so it will take longer, but it doesn't take as much space and it's much more frequent.

But the best way to make money is get all the tier 2 alloys blueprints, stock up on the base resources, and go to an npc/space station that buys them at double the price.

Someone on Reddit said you have to beat your previous record on one planet without leaving...THEN you can leave the planet and the counter does not reset between planets.

Can anyone confirm this?
This was how it worked in 1.07 when they announced the milestone was "fixed". But it seems it was only temporary (for some?) before it wouldn't count up again in another solar system etc.
If it was tested for 1.09 and this time it's permanent, then ok I guess.

Finished the Atlas path as well as got my platinum Saturday just before 1.09 hit. With the exception of my vita on my work commute, I've pretty much only been playing NMS since launch-- the night I got drunk and tried One Way Trip doesn't count-- and with a bunch of other stuff coming out this week; Jazzpunk, Dear Esther, Virginia, and The Bunker, I think now is a great time to put it down and check in occasionally for an hour to push toward the center more, or if new content or significant updates hit.

Every game-- particularly my favorite ones that I've played to death and see all the seams-- has its flaws; NMS being no exception. I can't underscore enough though how much I've enjoyed my time with it, how many countless gorgeous vistas I've witnessed in my travels, and how I really hope Hello Games continues to support NMS and give more reasons to continue exploring.

So I played 1.09 (PS4) a bit last night. I did not see any improved LOD generation. Maybe this is something only PC gets. I really didn't notice any visual differences.

Well yeah, they've always said it works like that. They have "templates" (I dunno like 30 maybe?) and then it iterates based on that template.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU&t=21m10s

In that interview you linked he said, "And there will be hundreds of creature types." I remember either hearing or reading the "hundreds" thrown around in at least one other interview. But there's obviously not hundreds of base model creature types. Have any of you seen more than 50? 75? I can't say that I have. So I don't know what the art team was doing for three years, but they weren't making creatures all that time. The lack of variation in creatures is definitely a rough spot in the game.

Poyunch

Finally maxed out my exosuit capacity. Even with stacking cubes, still feels low capacity, despite how big that would've seemed only a few weeks ago.

Still mining this planet, think I'm going from hunting cubes to mining gold though. Can't remember how much less valuable gold was, but it sure is easier to find than cube clusters.
I just want to finish the Atlas Path so I can be rid of these Atlas Stones but I keep getting distracted ship hunting.

Raven117

250+ jumps to center?

I just started after finishing Atlas path which took me mostly in opposite direction... though my first black hole likely remedied that.

I think I need to just stop playing this. Perhaps Atlas path was enough...

This is where I am....

I mean, everytime my warp drive breaks (and I make another 5 jumps and still can't find a planet that has what I need to repair it)....I just get more and more irritated.

I want to get to the center, but it feels a little silly at this point .

Number45

How long is a sol in game time? Does it differ from planet to planer? Leaving my PS on while eating food and it's taking forever to tick over.

Raist

Banned
In that interview you linked he said, "And there will be hundreds of creature types." I remember either hearing or reading the "hundreds" thrown around in at least one other interview. But there's obviously not hundreds of base model creature types. Have any of you seen more than 50? 75? I can't say that I have. So I don't know what the art team was doing for three years, but they weren't making creatures all that time. The lack of variation in creatures is definitely a rough spot in the game.

Yeah, definitely not "hundreds".

But again, personally I don't take anything at face value. Maybe it just gave a random number and it was like "that's the idea". Maybe that's the plan and they'll add more. Maybe they gave up after 50. I don't get why people get caught up on details like this.

This is where I am....

I mean, everytime my warp drive breaks (and I make another 5 jumps and still can't find a planet that has what I need to repair it)....I just get more and more irritated.

I want to get to the center, but it feels a little silly at this point .

So, GribbleGrunger had some good advice for that. They said that before you start your black hole jumps, you scour a planet for a few crashed ships (via transmission towers to speed things up), 3 or 4, and break down their upgrade components. That should provide you a number of resources needed to fix things up that break when going through a black hole so that you're not stuck being irritated.

How long is a sol in game time? Does it differ from planet to planer? Leaving my PS on while eating food and it's taking forever to tick over.

1 SOL = Roughly 15 minutes real time.

Yeah, definitely not "hundreds".

But again, personally I don't take anything at face value. Maybe it just gave a random number and it was like "that's the idea". Maybe that's the plan and they'll add more. Maybe they gave up after 50. I don't get why people get caught up on details like this.

Ha I'm not getting caught up on the details, I'm just saying there's definitely not hundreds of types in the game and it shows. It's something that should have been more of a priority, because the base experience of NMS is those moments of wonder where you see something you've never seen before.

I think it really depends how many things a developer, or anyone releasing a product, claims will be in the final. A few things are always going to slip, but if someone is shooting from the hip about half the features, they're going to get some side eye from me. I think what it points to on NMS is that they started with an idea for an experience and came up with a game to go around that while they were in development. That's never a good way to build something.

I hope Sean hires a PR person to at least coach him on how to speak to the press. Instead of "there will be hundreds of creature types", he should have said things like, "we hope to have hundreds of creature types". One offers a hope, one creates an expectation.

Number45

Darnit. Sat in shelter on my extreme planet while I had dinner slowly racking up the sols... went upstairs for a shower and came down to find my character at the save point with an empty inventory! Downloaded my last save from PS+, fortunately didn't lose too much.

Also just had a hard crash, only my second.

Shaneus

I just noticed that the latest patch notes are "more bug fixes" :lol They must be trolling xD Love it.
Can't wait for the inevitable "stability update"!

Also, I think I must be nudging the max of the "extreme" survival achievement. I've spent at least two weeks (maybe 15-20 hours, possibly more) on this current planet with extreme sentinel sensitivity. That's gotta be more than 9.0 sols or however much you need.

mokeyjoe

So I played 1.09 (PS4) a bit last night. I did not see any improved LOD generation. Maybe this is something only PC gets. I really didn't notice any visual differences.

There were definitely creature 'parts' shown in earlier demos that aren't in the game. Crocodile heads and that sort of thing. Whether the demos were 'fake' or not the parts still had to be made, even if just for the demos. I imagine there's a difference between making the parts and getting them to work effectively with the procedural generation, or animate correctly. Like many things with this game, there's potential for them to re-emerge in updates I guess.

As far as performance improvement, the main one I've seen on PS4 is the transition to the planet, although I feel that made its biggest improvement leap in 1.08.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Coming back to the game after a hiatus. I only warped once so I must ask... How do I even know which path I'm on? Navigating the galaxy map is slightly confusing lol.

There were definitely creature 'parts' shown in earlier demos that aren't in the game. Crocodile heads and that sort of thing. Whether the demos were 'fake' or not the parts still had to be made, even if just for the demos. I imagine there's a difference between making the parts and getting them to work effectively with the procedural generation, or animate correctly. Like many things with this game, there's potential for them to re-emerge in updates I guess.

As far as performance improvement, the main one I've seen on PS4 is the transition to the planet, although I feel that made its biggest improvement leap in 1.08.

Yeah, it's also hard to tell if Hello is adding new assets with the patches. Last night I saw a creature with a head resembling an anteater which I had never seen before. Maybe they added that, or maybe it was just coincidental.

Does anyone have PC footage of 1.09 showing the improved LOD pop-in? I'm always tripped up thinking I found a new geometric ruin site and head for it, only to discover it was just a low-res LOD pass. I was hoping the multithreading improvements would come PS4's way.

Pretty sure it finds them all. Sometimes it just takes a while

Either I'm looking in the wrong regions or it's not working correctly. I had another go lastnight and let it sit there for ages discovering systems but it didn't actually find anymore.

Still can't find my last system. The strange part is I've found all of my other systems this way but it won't find this one.

Update: Well I finally found the missing system after many, many attempts and almost giving up. I'm so bloody relieved. It was in the region that I thought it would be as my 3rd and 5th systems were also in that region. The fact that I found it is a miracle however as the system wasn't actually highlighted after doing 'scan for discoveries' multiple times in that region and all of the surrounding regions. It's either bugged for me or the 'scan for discoveries' doesn't actually show every discovered system in the area.

Yeah, it's also hard to tell if Hello is adding new assets with the patches. Last night I saw a creature with a head resembling an anteater which I had never seen before. Maybe they added that, or maybe it was just coincidental.

Does anyone have PC footage of 1.09 showing the improved LOD pop-in? I'm always tripped up thinking I found a new geometric ruin site and head for it, only to discover it was just a low-res LOD pass. I was hoping the multithreading improvements would come PS4's way.

I saw an animal with an anteater head last night on a previously undiscovered world and it didn't surprise me so I *think* I've seen the anteater heads before.

Regarding the LOD On PS4, I haven't played since patch 1.06 or so (been busy with other stuff and was waiting for the dust to settle with the bug fixes) but I think I am seeing improvements in the terrain generation after having visited several new worlds the last couple of nights:
1) Flying over large oceans does not feel sluggish any longer.
2) I am not seeing as much terrain LOD "pop-in" but it is still heavier on worlds with more assets (trees, rocks, etc.). I haven't found a nice "lush" planet in a while so the jury is still out on how improved the LOD will be with a lot of assets.
3) I'm not seeing as many of those "rectangles" when terrain is popping in - I'm also not noticing as much of that "fuzziness" with the voxels popping into view. It is still there but it seems less noticeable to me.
4) This might have been mentioned before but I *think* that you can fly faster over planets now? I haven't done any comparisons with pre-patching and it might just be newish ship so I could completely not know what I am talking about here. Just a possible observation.
5) Speaking of observations, it is hard to figure out what is new/changed when we are dealing with a game using a procedural content generation engine for ENTIRE SYSTEMS. :)
6) Here's another observations: I use a lot of double quotation marks (" ") in my posts. I guess that's just what I do.

Handy Fake

I saw an animal with an anteater head last night on a previously undiscovered world and it didn't surprise me so I *think* I've seen the anteater heads before.

Regarding the LOD On PS4, I haven't played since patch 1.06 or so (been busy with other stuff and was waiting for the dust to settle with the bug fixes) but I think I am seeing improvements in the terrain generation after having visited several new worlds the last couple of nights:
2) I am not seeing as much terrain LOD "pop-in" but it is still heavier on worlds with more assets (trees, rocks, etc.). I haven't found a nice "lush" planet in a while so the jury is still out on how improved the LOD will be with a lot of assets.
3) I'm not seeing as many of those "rectangles" when terrain is popping in - I'm also not noticing as much of that "fuzziness" with the voxels popping into view. It is still there but it seems less noticeable to me.
4) This might have been mentioned before but I *think* that you can fly faster over planets now? I haven't done any comparisons with pre-patching and it might just be newish ship so I could completely not know what I am talking about here. Just a possible observation.
5) Speaking of observations, it is hard to figure out what is new/changed when we are dealing with a game using a procedural content generation engine for ENTIRE SYSTEMS. :)
6) Here's another observations: I use a lot of double quotation marks (" ") in my posts. I guess that's just what I do.

tumblr_m02jpm4BPw1qzydh2o6_r1_250.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Before the patch I found every animal on two planets and couldn't claim my prize. Since the patch I'm finding animals but as soon as I get back in my starship and exit, all the animals have gone and I have to find them again. I'm wondering if this is deliberate because they reset to red. Perhaps it's a way of encouraging you to actually walk around and find them instead of hopping from point to point in your starship? Has anyone else had this?

Raven117

So, GribbleGrunger had some good advice for that. They said that before you start your black hole jumps, you scour a planet for a few crashed ships (via transmission towers to speed things up), 3 or 4, and break down their upgrade components. That should provide you a number of resources needed to fix things up that break when going through a black hole so that you're not stuck being irritated.

1 SOL = Roughly 15 minutes real time.

Thanks for the tip. Pretty good advice, but for whatever reason, I have only found one crashed ship. I do, tramission tower, distress signal...and then...kinda nothing.

mokeyjoe

Before the patch I found every animal on two planets and couldn't claim my prize. Since the patch I'm finding animals but as soon as I get back in my starship and exit, all the animals have gone and I have to find them again. I'm wondering if this is deliberate because they reset to red. Perhaps it's a way of encouraging you to actually walk around and find them instead of hopping from point to point in your starship? Has anyone else had this?

I've had slow loading on animal discoveries for weeks now. Any planet apart from the one I'm on takes minutes to load up.

I haven't seen this at all. I haven't cleared a planet yet in several patches but animal discoveries I have made seem to be working just fine for me - even through game loads.

I've had slow loading on animal discoveries for weeks now. Any planet apart from the one I'm on takes minutes to load up.

I noticed a couple of nights ago that all of my discoveries took a couple of minutes to upload from the servers when I first started playing after the latest patch loaded up (1.09). I haven't noticed my discoveries taking a while to load since then including on game restarts. I wonder if it had anything to do with requiring the fresh upload from the servers after the latest patch?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thanks for the tip. Pretty good advice, but for whatever reason, I have only found one crashed ship. I do, tramission tower, distress signal...and then...kinda nothing.

The transmission towers are easy to find because they have a tall tower sticking out from the centre of the building. I've found 9 today just flying around looking for them. Each one lead me to a ship and lots of loot. I've also found 4 portals! Don't fly in a straight line, zig-zag.

The only problem now is you can't stack so some of those much needed parts will take up extra slots. Luckily I held onto my stacks so I'm still good to go. But it really does keep you going. I travelled half the distance to the centre before I had to strip another ship or two down and then continued the journey without a hitch. I'm now on my 5th galaxy.

Another tip: If something breaks and you feel it's not necessary to fix it ... FIX IT! The game can't break something twice so every time you leave one thing broken it increases your chance of having something important broken ;)

Harlock

Just now I read about the trophies. Feels like a plausible platinum. The worst part is find all the animals in 10 planets. I wish to have scanned and upload the zero animal planets before they patch it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Just now I read about the trophies. Feels like a plausible platinum. The worst part is find all the animals in 10 planets. I wish to have scanned and upload the zero animal planets before they patch it.

I confess, that's how I did it.

edit: Thanks folks. I guess I've just hit a new bug then.

somme

I think you should still be able to upload "no fauna" and get the credit. You are, like in Star Trek, surveying the planet for life. If there isn't any, you've still successfully conveyed to the Atlas that there is indeed no life.

I got my trophy before the patch, so it doesn't actually affect me, but still.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've been on the current planet for several game hours and I can swear it never rained once... But just now it did. (1.09)

Hm I didn't notice any of that, but I'll pay closer attention. I'm pretty sure I was still seeing the geometric low-detail LOD, and as much of the sparkly LOD swaps as before when flying. I've never experienced frame drops for large ocean planets though.

I can see how if someone tries to rush through the game, doing the 10 animal planets could be a slog. I just go for 100% when I find a planet I like.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I like this review.

No Man's Sky In Close Critique [Deep Spoilers]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA21NUasw5A
Yeah, I agree with just about everything in that. Hearing that review kinda makes me wish it was a bit like a roguelike. Make scarcity a thing, make it possible to get stranded, make long stretches with no civilization, and make the universe dangerous. Then when you die or get stranded, you start over. Have leaderboards of how far you made it towards the center, how many planets, etc.

But the thing I agreed with the most is that they made it too much of a game.

Say what you will about the game, but Paul Weir's generative soundtrack is amazing. I'm constantly surprised at the stuff that it creates, from delicate guitar and piano melodies to growling synth lines and percussive instruments.

Seiniyta

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/

Patch 1.09

The game is now much more robust at recovering corrupted save files.
It was possible for players to circumnavigate obtaining the Antimatter blueprint using very specific steps, leaving some players stranded in their second system. This is no longer possible.

PC and PS4 galaxy generation more robust during compiling.
Exosuit messaging system no longer confuses “on planet” and “docked in station” visor notifications, removing all doubt as to the location of the player’s Starship.
Improved framerate when scanning colossal structures such as Space Stations or Outposts.

Fix for some terrain resources being indestructible and therefore unmineable.
Exosuit messaging system now able to correctly differentiate between resource types. Deposits discovered by scans will now display as the correct element.
Gek Factory door manufacturing standards have been improved; they no longer take critical hits from Grenades.

Drone vandalism detection improved. Wanted level now increases when destroying Factory doors however powerful the players Multitool may be.

Pulsedrive systems now fully offline during warping.

Players are no longer able to open crates of any type if their inventory is full, no matter the contents, preventing loss of resources.

When interacting with a Terminal, it will print out the players Journey progression. Some strings in this print out where cut-off in Asian languages, these now display correctly in all supported languages.

Fixed an occasional bug within the Exosuit system that caused controller prompts to display the wrong button.

Changes to player Standing with the Gek, Vy’keen and Korvax now display correctly within the stats menu.

Fix for loss of resources when transferring fully stacked items between the player’s Starship and Exosuit in a specific order.

Fix for stacking products exploit. Resources salvaged from dismantled technologies now fill inventory slots as expected.

Exosuit and Starship messaging system now always displays the correct number of collected resources.

Discovery menu improvements, including fixes for incorrectly displayed planet names and creatures displaying as their molecular structure.

Discovery menu now supports planets with an abundance of life. Specifically, planets featuring 15 creature types can now reach 100% completion.

Multitool Beam Coolant and Exosuit Aeration Membrane upgrades now increase their respective stat wheels as expected.

The player can no longer buy multiple products when they do not have enough slots to do so, preventing loss of both the unit cost and the extra products.

Japanese localization fixes. Including: scrolling text issues, overlapping prompts in the ship messaging system and Multitool names displaying incorrectly.

Fixed clipped text on save game restore buttons in all supported languages.
Fixed errant title bar on the menu screen.

Player Standing now updates in real time when interacting with members of the Gek, Vy’keen and Korvax races.

Minor fix for saves of a duration less than 2 minutes displaying as “1 minutes”.
Improvements to various settings within the options menu, including advancements in mouse smoothing and refined gamma settings allowing for increased tenebrosity.
Fix for creature generation crash.

Fixes to prevent FPS spikes when encountering momentary performance bumps on PS4.

Fixed a rare issue where pressing and holding a button would cause the game to crash under specific circumstances.

Creature footfall now audibly echos within caves.

Fix for perpetual day time if the player updated in a specific order.

Bump shader version numbers for patch 1.09

Fix for a rare situation where a player’s save could get stuck in a crash loop due to saving at very specific point in planet generation.

Improved detection of available PC CPU cores and optimised settings for low-end CPUs with few CPU cores.

Patch 1.08
Fixes for loading save files that have become corrupted.
Fixes for several rare memory corruption bugs.
Fixes for several small memory leaks when warping.
Fix for loading from saves sometimes spawning you inside a building.
Fix for anisotropic filtering settings not working on some PCs (improved on all).
Fix for rare crash when warping many times on PS4.
Fix for a potential rare random GPU crash on PS4.

putermcgee

I just noticed that the configuration of an NPC's ship changes each time you see it.

I was considering buying a new ship because all of the indestructible components were lined up, and the empty slots were contiguous. I just didn't have enough money. So I went out and hustled a while until I could afford the ship, and then went back to the trading post and waited for it to stop by. When I checked it again, empty slots were scattered about, and some of the components were bunched together, making it impossible to match up all the upgrades.

It's too bad because I've been using the same ship for ages.

It's cool that they're continuing to fix issues, but at this point I want to see some new features. I mean, PS4 still doesn't even have a No-HUD option, and that can't be hard to implement.

Top Bottom