• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Roussow

The motion blur is such a great effect, I've always loved a heavy application of it in games and No Man's Sky is no exception. It's implementation here reminds me of Ratchet and Clank earlier this year, especially with a similarly vibrant and stylized near-cartoony aesthetic, when you 'pop' a resource when mining and all the little bits of materiel comes rushing to you, it reminds me a lot of R&C's bolts in particular. The creatures movement animations looks a lot nicer with it, considering how quickly they animate, asteroids flying past you when travelling planet to planet look real smooth, too.

I'll grab the next nicely designed Freighter I see, I've got the cash for it, I was just holding out for a 15 slot vessel but it seems 13 are far more common, I'll settle for a dope looking 13 slot Freighter. Then I just have to find a planet I like enough to start base building, I've scanned a couple of foundations but I haven't liked the planets enough to settle,. Oh, just to be clear -- I can scan for base foundations using one of the crafted signal things right? They'll appear now alongside Transmission Towers, Trading Outposts and the like, correct?

Edit: Oh, and bloody hell, if anyone has any good advice for tracking down those last animals on planets I'd greatly appreciate it -- Or is it it still just check the skies / check the water / check the caves.

hbkdx12

Really digging the creative mode. The fact that everything is free and easily accessible makes for a nice stress free experience where you're not babysitting your resources every 2 seconds

My biggest complaint with the original version was that it was this horrible amalgamation of survival and exploration and there were detrimental aspects of both that stopped either aspect from shining and playing a prominent role so to see them seperate it into two modes is great.

So did they change the seed for this update? Seems like a lot of the stuff would require it.
Does that mean all the planets I've visited look different now? They still are named according to my log but my last save was right after jumping through a wormhole so I can't check on my previous planets now.

Also, how do the player messages work? I left one but it seems unlikely any player would ever come across the same spot on such a huge planet. Will players get a notification for where they are or do they maybe randomly spawn wherever the other player lands?

vix

Follow the "quest chain" when building your base. You can get the haz mat gauntlet and advanced mining tool once you hire the wepons guy.
Ah, thanks. I haven't built a base yet. I've been scouting for a planet that isn't actively trying to kill me.

Wallach

Think I'm gonna start over. On both PC and PS4 my saves from launch appear to behave a little wonky with all the post-launch updates (there are now two undiscovered planets in the system I left off in on PS4 that appear to be duplicates of each other).

Also kinda want to try this Survival mode. What happens if you get blown up in a space fight in Survival?

Initial thoughts after an hour of play (continuing my saved game on normal for now)

- the game looks unbelievably better on PS4. Crisper textures, more vibrant effects, and the motion blur adds a great feeling of movement without being overdone. Ships look sooo nice now. I've noticed some model details like engines get a bit soft up close, but not a big deal. When standing a space station looking out I see some flicker on model edges that's distracting, but all the heat wave shimmering effects are gone now.

- the planet representation from orbit compared to surface is way more consistent now. this always bugged me and am glad to see it fixed

- went down to a radiation planet and checked out a cave... there was billowing smoke everywhere inside which I'd never seen in a cave before (this wasn't storm wind, but ambient smoke)

- went inside an outpost and talked to a Korvax. I feel like I had seen every NPC interaction on outposts, but this was a new one. he also gave me (what seemed to be) a new technology -- Theta level underwater protection. I don't know if this is new tech, it never gave it to me before, or the 'new' flag is just a bug.

- sound design just seems...better? all over the place. both ambient noise and little effects. just seems like a lot of things have been tweaked or changed

- shadowing seems much improved, both due to the TAA and just more accurate. when walking back to my ship a tree was casting a shadow on my ship, which I don't remember ever seeing before

- got some new element Mordite from a corpse? also as others have said, Chrysonite seems to be behind a mining laser gate now

- quick nav is a nice QoL improvement, though IMO the menu goes away too soon. you have to be pretty quick in order to charge your stuff

- Atlas question:
I finished the path, but thought I still had my stones. But they are gone when I loaded up my save today. Do they take them when you finish the path and I'm remembering wrong?

- when flying back to the space station I got scanned by a pirate and attacked. Alarms flash, and your ship has a scanner like effect on it when being scanned, cool. The new weapon effects are really nice...lighting from your photons cast inside the cockpit, generally just much improved. But GET THIS -- as I was turning to get the pirate in my sights, other nearby trading ships started firing on it!! After it was destroyed, they just went on their way. I have NEVER seen an NPC ship help out with a pirate attack, maybe this was always there, but man it was a cool moment.

- want to find a bit more chill planet before I set up base, which I plan to do next

Center of galaxy question: Is the best way to reach the center using black holes? Or just aim towards the bright light? Because I used a black hole before and it sent be to a different quadrant, but not any closer to the center

If your base is on a planet in a black hole system, can you leave your ship outside your base, use a repaired crashed ship to fly into the wormhole, explore the new system/region and then warp back to your base from a space station to find your original ship again?

Would be kinda cool to warp around the universe from a central point although I guess getting new ships would be tedious/very costly.

StylusX

Am I fucked? Got the blueprint for the beacon. Recruited a scientist and he gave me the blueprint for something the beacon needs, which I was able to craft. Now I'm looking to craft the beacon but i can't find it! Where do you craft it: suit, ship or gun?

idonteven

Am I fucked? Got the blueprint for the beacon. Recruited a scientist and he gave me the blueprint for something the beacon needs, which I was able to craft. Now I'm looking to craft the beacon but i can't find it! Where do you craft it: suit, ship or gun?

its in building mode

If your base is on a planet in a black hole system, can you leave your ship outside your base, use a repaired crashed ship to fly into the wormhole, explore the new system/region and then warp back to your base from a space station to find your original ship again?

My guess is your old ship would disappear, but probably one of things someone will just have to test. If you had a freighter you could just tell it to come pick you up though.

Hm, I haven't crafted any of that stuff yet, but when I was outside at an outpost, I pressed up on the d-pad and it gave me some tech crafting options for the signal booster, save point, etc.

+ they fixed long ships clipping through the space station floor when landing
- I just got my ass handed to me by Sentinels because I tried to help out against a freighter attack and there was friendly fire. This is why there needs to be more deliberate factions or at least communication with other ships so everyone knows what side they're on
- duplicate NPC ships are still landing at stations...sigh

Burny

- I just got my ass handed to me by Sentinels because I tried to help out against a freighter attack and there was friendly fire.

Sounds like Elite: shoots a wanted target helping out half a dozen security ships, cop comes out of nowhere, crosses your line of fire, you get a bounty of some 250cr and within 10 seconds every single security ship turns on you.

I'm pretty happy that they've released the update and hope they keep updating the game. Going into radio silence like that right after the release didn't make it look good. Here's hoping this eventually shapes up to be a great game or even franchise.

magawolaz

I don't like the default motion blur, did you guys tone it down? I tried it on 50 but it was barely noticeable, then I disabled it completely lol.

Also for me the grass takes longer to render, hopefully they didn't nerf the jetpack trying to hide it (because it doesn't work, and because I loved jetpack-meleeing for hundreds of meters :p)

Also we may get ground vehicles, fuck yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5f84r0/interesting_folder_in_game_files/

EDIT: there's a pic hidden between the game files, gonna put it under spoiler just in case
9d3e39b668cec792dcd692079ac1a90a.jpg

Withnail

I don't like the default motion blur, did you guys tone it down? I tried it on 50 but it was barely noticeable, then I disabled it completely lol.

Also for me the grass takes longer to render, hopefully they didn't nerf the jetpack trying to hide it (because it doesn't work, and because I loved jetpack-meleeing for hundreds of meters :p)

Also we may get ground vehicles, fuck yes: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/5f84r0/interesting_folder_in_game_files/

EDIT: there's a pic between the game files, gonna put it under spoiler just in case
9d3e39b668cec792dcd692079ac1a90a.jpg

Ground vehicles would be so good. I want to drive around my home planet harvesting materials to take back to my base.

Sounds like Elite: shoots a wanted target helping out half a dozen security ships, cop comes out of nowhere, crosses your line of fire, you get a bounty of some 250cr and within 10 seconds every single security ship turns on you.

Yeah it's been a thing since NMS launched, and just sort of irritating that they haven't fixed it yet. Because getting in big ship battles is cool, but not when you get punished for it. But hey, I know they're a small team and can only fix so much at a time.

Not going to look at the pic or that thread, but I kinda wondered if there would be something like a dune buggy as soon as I saw those garage doors open at the home base.

Question on the bases. I'm in a new system and when I scanned I found a Habitable Base marker on a planet. The planet I'm on doesn't have any of those. Can you only build on planets where designated structures are found? Or is there some way to build from scratch?

Creature designs seem a lot more varied now. Pretty handsome Gek there.

I've only been on one new planet since the patch, but terrain generation seems much more sophisticated, natural. This here looks like an honest to god mountain range. I mean, I've been on planets with tall mountains, but from the ground they never looked that way. Also nice to finally see some wide plains.

p.s. my god is that Photo Mode annoying. I suggested to Hello that the left d-pad would toggle it, but no...they put it in the Options with a warning popup every time. And it doesn't get rid of the scanlines at the top. I mean it's better than nothing, but ugh...

Burny

Yeah it's been a thing since NMS launched, and just sort of irritating that they haven't fixed it yet. Because getting in big ship battles is cool, but not when you get punished for it. But hey, I know they're a small team and can only fix so much at a time.

Yep. The other game has allegedly a team of about 100 working on it since release two years ago and still, that very same issue is not fixed there. A patch brought a slight improvement, by making the system more tolerant, but an absolute fix seems impossible. That would require the game to read the player's mind. Until then, there needs to be some rules/heuristic, that determines whether an attack was intended or not. :p

Even then, what if you as a player hit a friendly target by accident, that was however so low on health that you blew it up instantly...?

Yep. The other game has allegedly a team of about 100 working on it since release two years ago and still, that very same issue is not fixed there. A patch brought a slight improvement, by making the system more tolerant, but an absolute fix seems impossible. That would require the game to read the player's mind. Until then, there needs to be some rules/heuristic, that determines whether an attack was intended or not. :p

Even then, what if you as a player hit a friendly target by accident, that was however so low on health that you blew it up instantly...?

The easiest thing to do would be to have an "Offer Assistance" button that puts you into a Friend mode. When you're in that mode, other ships don't care if you harm or even destroy them. Then either when the attack is over or you leave the area, your status is reset. Maybe simplistic from a game narrative POV, but better than friendly ships suddenly acting like you're the enemy.

The easiest thing to do would be to have an "Offer Assistance" button that puts you into a Friend mode. When you're in that mode, other ships don't care if you harm or even destroy them. Then either when the attack is over or you leave the area, your status is reset. Maybe simplistic from a game narrative POV, but better than friendly ships suddenly acting like you're the enemy.

What about the potential abuse of being a friend then you hit a ressource part in a space freighter ?
What about the scenario where you're a friend yet do more damage than an ennemy would ?
Your idea is nice but feel so exploitative from a gameplay perspective.

Muzicfreq

Banned
After two hours and three different saves/planets I very much agree with you.

I like a challenge as much as the next guy but this Survival mode is ridiculous. Can't even survive long enough to reach your ship 5 minutes out. Where's the fun in that?

It's just frustrating that they can't get something like this right.

It's either a choice between a boring loop in Normal mode or a crushing experience in Survival mode.

Or maybe i just need to 'git gud'?

5? Lucky you I was 16minutes from mine... said "NOPE"

Creative? No... kinda dull since you can outright buy or more like take whatever you want. "Nice ship there buddy, let me just squeeze on in and take over"

Burny

The easiest thing to do would be to have an "Offer Assistance" button that puts you into a Friend mode. When you're in that mode, other ships don't care if you harm or even destroy them.

I can't say I like the idea, because it's too cheesy for me. Deliberate friendly fire ought to be punished and getting into that mode would mean you could destroy friendlies for the fun of it without them responding accordingly. Depending on the game, that would also lead to unintended exploits e.g. if destroying friendlies got you ressources.

If we're looking at simplistic solutions, going into a mode that deactivates damage to all friendlies seems actually more consistent to me.

So now that they've alleviated the issues people had with resource collecting in the form of larger inventories with freighters and a base of operations, farming with NPC's and automated gathering as well as many other quality of life improvements such as the stacking of materials and planetary scanning I'm hoping that in the next update we'll see more reasons to gather said resources and hopefully more meaningful content to make use of everything we've accumulated along the way. I don't mind gathering resources and crafting upgrades but I'd like something to do with all of that. I love exploration but there needs to be something to discover otherwise what's the point?

They're calling this the Foundation update which is supposed to lay the foundation of things to come. It's a solid start and I think Hello Games have certainly exceeded most people's expectations. Let's hope they get to build on that and really create something special. There is certainly a lot of potential here and I'd love to see them fully realise their vision for the game.

I think when it comes to Multiplayer if we ever do see it. Isn't going to be just "Oh I found a random person". I believe Multiplayer is going to be its own mode, and its going to be Faction based.

I'm considering trying the game again, but what is it that makes survival mode so hard?

Well resources are limited on planets. Life support drains faster, plus more planets will have hostile sentinels, and extreme weather conditions are more higher on planets. So its hard starting off brand new in Survival but if you get lucky like I did. Its manageable.

Seeing as it was me who first complained about Survival mode, I'm going to be the first to say, "I'm wrong". So much about it is perfect. For all the hours I put into this game, I never understood what Life Support actually did or what the health meter did or what those health shields did. But now they are fundamental to the way you play the game. I previously thought the three were almost useless. "What's the point of the health bar if you have Life Support? And Life Support can be easily refilled". But now it's clear. Life Support is a bit misleading. It's not keeping you alive like someone of life support, it's aiding you to move about on these planets. Walk - you lose less. Run - you lose more. And jet pack - you lose even more. It makes complete sense for each to use more power than the rest.

And it's perfectly balanced. My first planet was cold and had enough Plutonium and Carbon to survive, and walking reduced my Life Support by 1. My third planet has a nice temperature, doesn't seem to have any Carbon, but has loads of Thamium9. So not to be out done by my luck, the game now reduces my Life Support by 2 while walking (and 3 for running and jet packing, so that gives some benefit to me). It seems the game knows there is enough Thamium9 to help me and is trying to offset the fact that I don't need hazard protection. Unless I just got a lucky planet? Maybe down the line we'll discover some planets have greater gravity?

Once you understand the fact that you can't just go running around like an idiot and take your time, it actually becomes manageable. And you get to see a lot more of these beautiful planets :) [Hippy!]

Cc23830

I just cannot justify the hard drive space on my ps4 to reinstall.
Fool me once Hello games shame on you.
Fool me twice ....

Seeing as it was me who first complained about Survival mode, I'm going to be the first to say, "I'm wrong". So much about it is perfect. For all the hours I put into this game, I never understood what Life Support actually did or what the health meter did or what those health shields did. But now they are fundamental to the way you play the game. I previously thought the three were almost useless. "What's the point of the health bar if you have Life Support? And Life Support can be easily refilled". But now it's clear. Life Support is a bit misleading. It's not keeping you alive like someone of life support, it's aiding you to move about on these planets. Walk - you lose less. Run - you lose more. And jet pack - you lose even more. It makes complete sense for each to use more power than the rest.

And it's perfectly balanced. My first planet was cold and had enough Plutonium and Carbon to survive, and walking reduced my Life Support by 1. My third planet has a nice temperature, doesn't seem to have any Carbon, but has loads of Thamium9. So not to be out done by my luck, the game now reduces my Life Support by 2 while walking (and 3 for running and jet packing, so that gives some benefit to me). It seems the game knows there is enough Thamium9 to help me and is trying to offset the fact that I don't need hazard protection. Unless I just got a lucky planet? Maybe down the line we'll discover some planets have greater gravity?

Once you understand the fact that you can't just go running around like an idiot and take your time, it actually becomes manageable. And you get to see a lot more of these beautiful planets :) [Hippy!]

I am curious to start a save in survival just to see how I do. I would actually like those meters to mean something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, this is great. Everything was going fine with the new update, was really enjoying myself and everything, until my farmer gave me a quest to go get some seed fragments from a ruin.

But the marker points underwater. And there's no ruin there. I can't believe they still haven't fixed this. And now there's no way for me to continue on unless I move my base to another location. Which really sucks because I love the planet I'm currently on. Ugh.

I didn't got time to update and play it, but I was wondering if this patch made star systems look like star systems, meaning planets not clumbed together.

Septimius

Well resources are limited on planets. Life support drains faster, plus more planets will have hostile sentinels, and extreme weather conditions are more higher on planets. So its hard starting off brand new in Survival but if you get lucky like I did. Its manageable.

But that's just tedious? :(

I didn't got time to update and play it, but I was wondering if this patch made star systems look like star systems, meaning planets not clumbed together.

It's not that kind of game, simply put. It won't happen.

Messiek

One of the issues I had with the game is that to get a lot of money to buy a cool ship, you need to farm the same resource nonstop for a long time. Is that still the case?

sugarless

Nice! One other quickie though (and I will be playing it tonight): Does photo mode do anything to the IQ that you can notice? Or does it just remove the HUD?

Sorry, I don't know what IQ is. But it basically removes all HUD elements while keeping the same visual effects, although in the 1.1 update the chromatic effects, vignette and the scanlines are somewhat toned down, albeit still present. You can keep playing, using your multi-tool etc. but you get no UI whatsoever, and as the game warns you each time in the menu (why oh why isn't it just a long press on the hide HUD button) you won't get any warnings coming up about weather, life support or what have you.

The ship seems to always appear outside the base, or on the space station, after a teleport.

Really? Well nevermind my earlier question then. Definitely gonna set up base near a black hole in that case and jump around randomly through the galaxy. Just have to get ready for a big repairs bill.

SomTervo

Good idea, but a better implementation of the same mechanic would be a 'Friend/foe' button.

> aim crosshair at faction you're going to help
> press F/F button
> you can no longer shoot at the faction you highlighted (guns auto-locked when they're in your sights)
> you can still fire at any other target

Maybe holding the button swaps you into 'all friendly' or 'all foe'.

Is Chrysonite more difficult to mine now?

I just did a found ship upgrade but didn't have any chrysonite in my inventory and i'm finding it impossible to find to make my warp drive. The little that I have found said I needed an advanced mining laser to mine? I don't remember that being the case at all.

Is Chrysonite more difficult to mine now?

I just did a found ship upgrade but didn't have any chrysonite in my inventory and i'm finding it impossible to find to make my warp drive. The little that I have found said I needed an advanced mining laser to mine? I don't remember that being the case at all.

Quite a change to lock Chrysonite behind a blueprint, that's quite an essential element AFAIK.
Is that advanced laser part of the blueprints you can (only?) get from doing the home base stuff? Maybe they changed it to make advancing players fiddle with the base building in case they haven't done that yet. Or to integrate the new gameplay mechanics into the core gameplay instead of being an addon.

Top Bottom