• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Maybe down the line we'll discover some planets have greater gravity?
Actually I wonder why planets don't have different levels of gravity. That would add so much and I would have thought it would be fairly simple to implement.
In interviews, Sean said that your suit compensates for differing gravity. Maybe that was more than just an excuse for identical movement everywhere? It's perhaps possible the suit drains faster on high-gravity planets as the cost of making your movement the same speed.

The problem is, a Gek Charm for example, you can sell it for 20k on one system and 35k on another one. What is 35000 units compared to 35000000 units.
The update has added big rewards for saving freighters from pirates. You get 100,000 for each level bounty you take (so 200,000 for 2-star bounties, 300,000 for 3-star, etc.)

Maybe forget all that and instead do this:
-If you attack a ship that is not a pirate they give you a warning, maybe two warnings if they are a friendly faction. If you keep attacking them then they open fire instead. Shouls be easy to track how many times the player has attacked that ship.
-If they are unfriendly faction then they open fire on you.
-Sentinels and pirates will always fire back.

There. Easy solution.

I like this . It's an intresting use of factions and i don't see a real problem.
A series of blasts is considered an attack , because when firing multiple bullets in a row( in short bursts ) , it would be easy to get past the warnings ...
Anyone found an underwater build able base yet?

It shouldn't be possible , if my understanding of the rules of building is correct.
I would love to be proven wrong

This game just got one step closer to my dream game. Imagine base building combined with creature collecting. Yes. I want to build a space zoo. Imagine being able to replicate any species into a cage or enclosure that you've scanned at some point.

At some point we'll probably have fast travel to systems we've been to before, so you can go visit your favorite species. But I want them to focus their limited dev resources on gameplay improvements.

Hmm.. they dig stuff up? I've only had it that they dropped stuff, which was always coprite

Dig/defecate/vomit, same thing. The janky creature animations are like a Rorschach test.

somme

Has anybody found rigogen? Is it a purple material? Any specific star color?

I've warped to about 30 different star systems with roughly 150 planets total and not a single one had rigogen, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something... Maybe it's like coprite or something...

Any ideas?

It's supposedly underwater but I've only just started looking for it and haven't found any.

It's supposedly underwater but I've only just started looking for it and haven't found any.

When I stopped playing last night I had just added my first recruit to my limited base, and he wanted some new element to build a science terminal. I have no idea what it is or where to get it, and I kind of like being back at a place where there's some mystery and discovery to be had again.

Speaking of base staff, isn't it a bit odd that they work for free? You'd think Hello would've added an ongoing salary requirement or something.

Also, my teleport from space station to planet seemed really long...like 15 seconds? I get that it's basically a loading screen, but I thought it'd be faster. Maybe it is on PC?

And speaking of new elements...I found a new element in a cave last night. One of those flower-looking things, except it was a mining item. No idea how much it sells for or what it's used for!

Withnail

I inadvertently trapped a drone in my base while building a new room. Going to keep it for a pet LOL

UNRTUYb.jpg

Wow, they kinda understated the changes to the terrain generation. I'm slowly exploring the first system after the long escape in Survival Mode and already my jaw dropped twice. Really well done. Too bad the second planet, as pretty as it is, has extreme Sentinels. The first planet had NOTHING. No settlements, almost no life as far as I could tell. And I scanned the living hell out of it.

Also, bless Photo Mode on PS4 finally.

Planet 1
Planet 2
Planet 2 Surface

WeTeHa

Okay....

4 planets consisting mostly of water
7 planets with large-ish water areas
3 plantes with small-ish water areas
1 planet with puddles

all across different star types

no rigogen. Like... seriously.
in the meantime... at least 4 planets with gravitino balls. come on, i just want the stupid rigogen.

geomon

I'm screwed. My scientist wants sac venom for new tech and I've only ever come across sac venom naturally once in my entire playthrough and I've been playing since day one.

WeTeHa

I'm screwed. My scientist wants sac venom for new tech and I've only ever come across sac venom naturally once in my entire playthrough and I've been playing since day one.

Build the agriculture thing, I think one of the first things you learn is how to grow sac venom.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I asked before but didnt get an answer. IN survival mode when you are flying over a planet, why is the scan button not highlighting nearby question marks? Do i need a special part i forgot about or did they remove that to make it harder?

This game just got one step closer to my dream game. Imagine base building combined with creature collecting. Yes. I want to build a space zoo. Imagine being able to replicate any species into a cage or enclosure that you've scanned at some point.
OK, thats a pretty awesome idea.

Now I want to make my own Jurassic Park.

somme

Okay....

1 planet with puddles

in the meantime... at least 4 planets with gravitino balls. come on, i just want the stupid rigogen.

I found some on my second water planet.

It may show up better at night as the bulbs, or flowering part of the part seems to glow.

Bold One

I inadvertently trapped a drone in my base while building a new room. Going to keep it for a pet LOL

You should be able to farm your own sentinels to protect your home planet when other players come round and try to steal your shit and mine your minerals....

try to steal my gold, my walkers will tear you up!

Now you are the authority, you are "The Man"

Wow, they kinda understated the changes to the terrain generation. ...
Planet 1
Planet 2
Planet 2 Surface

Yeah, Planet 2 really shows the terrain changes well. Now that the proc gen is generating wide plains areas, mountains finally look like mountains. Before the patch, the proc gen was creating shallow slopes and never large flat areas, so even really tall mountains didn't look impressive from the bottom.

The shadowing on the grass is so nice now. Also the atmospheric filtering for planets and distant geographic features looks even more sci-fi book cover. On a planet last night there was a planet eclipsed by a distant mountain and they kind of blended together in this very illustrated visual effect.

I asked before but didnt get an answer. IN survival mode when you are flying over a planet, why is the scan button not highlighting nearby question marks? Do i need a special part i forgot about or did they remove that to make it harder?

Honestly the in-ship scan button when flying on planets never worked well since launch. The logic of which nearby structures it highlights baffles me. It's very inconsistent.

renzolama

I just cannot justify the hard drive space on my ps4 to reinstall.
Fool me once Hello games shame on you.
Fool me twice ....

Maybe upgrade your hard drive? It's less than 10GB if I remember correctly? If you hate it so much that you can't spare < 10GB to it then why are you wasting your energy posting in the OT about it?

Honestly the in-ship scan button when flying on planets never worked well since launch. The logic of which nearby structures it highlights baffles me. It's very inconsistent.

Yeah, this is still one of my biggest frustrations. Baffling is the perfect word for the logic that determines what objects the scanner picks up and how long it displays them. 90% of the time it won't find/display what I'm actually looking for, but it will absolutely always display the giant wire mesh of any deformable resource nodes around which murders the engine performance when AA is enabled. Customizing the interface / scannable objects is another major QOL issue that I hope will be officially addressed at some point. I'd love to move the waypoint icon further away from the center of my screen so I can stop mixing it up with the reticle also.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Never had that much of a problem before with it. Something is clearly wrong with it now. I could be hovering over a structure and the damn scanner will never highlight it. Only way to get POI on the grid is to do the random puzzles etc on the machines. Thats why im wondering if in survival things changed.

Shaneus

After finding Chrysonite is locked behind a blueprint, so goddamned happy I banked a shitload of it pre-patch. Think I have maybe 2000+ units in my freighter.

Never had that much of a problem before with it. Something is clearly wrong with it now. I could be hovering over a structure and the damn scanner will never highlight it. Only way to get POI on the grid is to do the random puzzles etc on the machines. Thats why im wondering if in survival things changed.

I haven't played Survival yet, but what you're describing sounds the same as what I experienced on normal mode last night (ruins half a mile in front of me didn't highlight), and really is the same that I've experienced since launch. Maybe you've just been lucky?

Speaking of scanning, I like the new system scan showing minerals, but I wish it also showed the biome, weather, and Sentinel level at least.

somme

Do you remember the star type or what kind of planet it was? Like cold, hot, normal, flora etc

It was a yellow star: Class G5. It was an irradiated planet with extreme contamination. The Rigogen wasn't everywhere, there were some areas underwater with no flora, I needed to look for places with some underwater life, and yeah it was there.

somme

Although I was surprised Titanium and Chrysonite were un-mineable until I upgraded my multitool, I can't say I actually needed either of them until I was able to do so.

I'm loving all the new elements. Hopefully they'll give us this many each time they drop a big update and we'll have a nice big periodic table in no time.

TyrantII

Anyone know of you can build landing pads to attract NPC traders?

How about a store eye droid?

Anyway to keep from having to run to the station to sell goods?

No worries. The other two map modes are "Free Roam" where you can move around and jump to a system you like the look of and "Journey to the Centre" which will plot a path to the centre of the UniGalactyThingy you're in.

If the "Atlas Path" takes you through the same systems you've been to or you just fancy a change, go into free roam, hop about different systems for a bit and then select "Atlas Path" again and you should get a new path to another Atlas system.

LB & RB move you through the map modes.

You know why I couldn't find it? because my dumb ass chose to spurn that path early on, and now I start over and chose the ATLAS path.

The star system orbital mechanics that we were promised and didn't get. :/.

Odd, I don't recall them promising this outright, and I can't seem to find any interviews or articles where they claim the game will have a standard solar system model before launch, or that they'd add it after launch. Do you have a link? If they actually did say they would change the solar system design away from the 'postcard' style towards a more realistic one, I'm going to keep holding them to that.

Coolness factor aside, home base seems to be more efficient for resource storage (and sales?) than freighters? Especially if you don't have many credits.

It cost very little to get to the point when you can build storage containers for your base.
That's up to 10x 5 slots that can hold 1000 resources each (like the freighter).

Main cost thing are the batteries which you need to collect a lot of the cave plants for (but it's also an abundant resource).

Your base can be reached any time like the freighters, too.

Fired this up to check out the update, specifically survival mode, and wound up with a three-year old sitting in my lap directing my cave explorations and hunting for "dinosaurs" while trying to reach our broken ship. Surprisingly fun for him even when we needed to hide out during the extreme night cold.

Only got as far as reaching the ship (it was around 6min away from spawn) but so far liking the added tension from survival. Maybe I was lucky with my spawn planet but there was enough Thamium (sparse, but enough) and caves to reach it without dying at any point. Definitely played a lot more conservatively - no more melee-boosted jetpacking everywhere!

Okay....

1 planet with puddles

I'm playing on Survival and still have a hellish 17:00 trip to get off my first planet (started over with the patch) but have you checked a bunch of space station market interfaces in different systems? The new elements should be added to that pool, although they're probably rare like omegon or whatever it's called was.

Odd, I don't recall them promising this outright, and I can't seem to find any interviews or articles where they claim the game will have a standard solar system model before launch, or that they'd add it after launch. Do you have a link? If they actually did say they would change the solar system design away from the 'postcard' style towards a more realistic one, I'm going to keep holding them to that.

Sean talked about it in the Atlantic article in February:
&#8220;Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that.&#8221;

In March of this year, PlayStation Access also confirmed these types of orbital mechanics (around 1:30). Obviously they were told that by Sean, and this wasn't a two-year old video, this was pretty close to release.

Neither of those things are happening. The planets don't rotate on their axes, the moons don't orbit planets, and the planets do not orbit their star. Hence the day/night cycles which number in the minutes instead of hours or days. In fact, I believe the star actually orbits the planet cluster, which provides the illusion of rotation. And the star is not actually a star, it's just a light in the distance which you can't ever reach &#8211; if you try, the coordinate system will eventually go haywire and things will glitch out.

That is the only thing I truly ever felt deceived about. I was sold on the idea that NMS was a proper universe simulation, within reasonable limits, but it's actually just a collection of nicely arranged props.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yes, but keep in mind that a black hole always breaks something on your ship at random, and depending on how rare the materials are to fix it, you may have to spend a while farming resources after you jump. If you're lucky it just ends up being a deflector shield or photon cannon. But if you have to go looking for Omegon it might take you a while. Every resource you need can be harvested from crashed ships of course, so it's not like you'll ever be stuck with zero resources.

I'm on my fifth galaxy. The shortest time I managed was just over 10 hours. All you do is find a crashed ship or two, stock up on the rare stuff and you're good to go. You can get at least half way before you have to search out another ship and strip it. It's easy.

On another topic: this isn't 'base building'. Calling it that really understates how 'involved' it is. I'm loving it but now I know how involved it is and can see how easily they can expand it, I think I'm going to find that perfect planet and settle down.

Astronaut-stars-by-IF-3s.jpg

Sean talked about it in the Atlantic article in February:.

I stand corrected. Dangit Sean, stop being Peter Molyneux's Spiritual Successor. >..<

I don't so much mind that the space side of things is more of a glorified 'menu', rather than a physical space - but I do wish they'd stick with either one thematic approach or the other, not try to blend them in this haphazard way. Still, not a deal-breaker for me.

I'm on my fifth galaxy. The shortest time I managed was just over 10 hours. All you do is find a crashed ship or two, stock up on the rare stuff and you're good to go. You can get at least half way before you have to search out another ship and strip it. It's easy.

On another topic: this isn't 'base building'. Calling it that really understates how 'involved' it is. I'm loving it but now I know how involved it is and can see how easily they can expand it, I think I'm going to find that perfect planet and settle down.

I keep seeing people saying you can strip crashed ships, but...how do you do that? I've never been able to take cargo or tech out of one.

I think I remember you being one of the pre-launch people wanting base building? If so, I'm happy for you. I never really saw a need for it, but I must admit it's pretty cool, and the UI for it is surprisingly elegant considering the rest of their UI choices.

p.s. how will you ever be able to find someone or leave a message that someone would find if you're in a completely different galaxy?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Is it me or does the game look softer now? I know temporal AA should help but it really seems softer after the Foundation update. Maybe I'll go back and compare screenshots.

PS4 Pro FWIW.

I keep seeing people saying you can strip crashed ships, but...how do you do that? I've never been able to take cargo or tech out of one.
Claim the crashed ship as your own (park your ship close to the downed one so you don't lose it since claiming the crashed one will stop your old ship from showing up on radar). Dismantle all the tech on the crashed ship which is now yours. Transfer the resources to your exosuit. Go back to your old ship and reclaim it and transfer any resources you couldn't fit in your exosuit. Voila, all the resources from the downed ship.

Claim the crashed ship as your own (park your ship close to the downed one so you don't lose it since claiming the crashed one will stop your old ship from showing up on radar). Dismantle all the tech on the crashed ship which is now yours. Transfer the resources to your exosuit. Go back to your old ship and reclaim it and transfer any resources you couldn't fit in your exosuit. Voila, all the resources from the downed ship.

Ah, okay. So it's more of a minor exploit than something the devs designed as a feature. Good to know though, thanks.

Nice

mokeyjoe

Anyone know of you can build landing pads to attract NPC traders?

How about a store eye droid?

Anyway to keep from having to run to the station to sell goods?

You can build both those things. I haven't done so yet though. You need to follow through all the base quest thingies.

I wish there was a discrete quest log. I didn't remember what element I was supposed to get for the science terminal at my base and had to go back there to ask my Builder again.

So what's the general consensus now post-update? More interested in the thoughts from those who weren't that into the game beforehand

===

Looks like the next update might add ground vehicles
b55a9f67424369c6224c9eb5133ed0c8.png

9d3e39b668cec792dcd692079ac1a90a.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
So what's the general consensus now post-update? More interested in the thoughts from those who weren't that into the game beforehand

===

Looks like the next update might add ground vehicles
b55a9f67424369c6224c9eb5133ed0c8.png

9d3e39b668cec792dcd692079ac1a90a.jpg

This would be amazing.

I think I'll wait a bit longer before jumping back in.

Top Bottom