• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Withnail

Actually I wonder why planets don't have different levels of gravity. That would add so much and I would have thought it would be fairly simple to implement.

Sean pls

Messiek

One of the issues I had with the game is that to get a lot of money to buy a cool ship, you need to farm the same resource nonstop for a long time. Is that still the case?

Quote for the new page.

The only way I found to get money was to fill my inventory with a resource and sell it. (Repeat 100000 times)

Quote for the new page.

The only way I found to get money was to fill my inventory with a resource and sell it. (Repeat 100000 times)

You also get credits by destroying attacking ships, stealing from freighters, discovering and naming planets, animals, and plants, and talking with NPCs. You could also hold on to specific items to get more credits out of them when you're in a specific system (ie. Gek Charms sell for more credits when you're in a Gek system).

Messiek

When you find crashed ships, they're normally one size bigger than your last ship.

You also get credits by destroying attacking ships, stealing from freighters, discovering and naming planets, animals, and plants, and talking with NPCs. You could also hold on to specific items to get more credits out of them when you're in a specific system (ie. Gek Charms sell for more credits when you're in a Gek system).

The problem is, a Gek Charm for example, you can sell it for 20k on one system and 35k on another one. What is 35000 units compared to 35000000 units .
I'd have to sell 1000 Gek charms to buy that ship, let's say my inventory fits 40 items, that'd be 25 trips between a place where I can farm Gek Chams and a station/trade robot in a planet. aka not fun

The problem is, a Gek Charm for example, you can sell it for 20k on one system and 35k on another one. What is 35000 units compared to 35000000 units .
I'd have to sell 1000 Gek charms to buy that ship, let's say my inventory fits 40 items, that'd be 25 trips between a place where I can farm Gek Chams and a station/trade robot in a planet. aka not fun

Two words, Vortex Cubes

sugarless

Two words, Vortex Cubes

What are the glowing balls called again? If you can find a planet with those, it's fun to set down and do some danger runs of grabbing as many as you can while avoiding the system, then getting back to the space station while fending off hostiles, and selling for quite a lot of money. I was able to raise 2 million in the early game stages doing this, but now can't find my way back to that system...

vpance

What are the glowing balls called again? If you can find a planet with those, it's fun to set down and do some danger runs of grabbing as many as you can while avoiding the system, then getting back to the space station while fending off hostiles, and selling for quite a lot of money. I was able to raise 2 million in the early game stages doing this, but now can't find my way back to that system...

Trying to find out where you've been in the map is a pain. If you're like 3-4 jumps away it's definitely possible though. Saved waypoints helps a bit but it's wonky.

Had a planet with grav balls and cubes in the last system I was in. Going to move my base there temporarily.

Once I get a chance, I'm definitely setting up my base on a Vortex Cube planet. One of the ones where they are just scattered all over the place and the sentials don't care.

Sky87

Inventory management is still the number one thing that kills my enjoyment of the game. The atlas stones need to stack, everything needs to stack. I can't spend more than 1 minute outside my ship before i've completely filled my inventory. Can't do much exploring this way.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but how do you build the harvesters that mine resources for you? Do you need a base for that?

vpance

Once I get a chance, I'm definitely setting up my base on a Vortex Cube planet. One of the ones where they are just scattered all over the place and the sentials don't care.

Where sentinels don't care? Is that really possible? Would be a great find for sure. Every cube/ball planet I've come across have had aggressive bots.

Where sentinels don't care? Is that really possible? Would be a great find for sure. Every cube/ball planet I've come across have had aggressive bots.
Yep, unless they changed it.

Two types of vortex cube worlds.
1. Cubes floating on pedestals when sentinels get mad

2. Cubes scattered all over the ground and no one cares.

sugarless

Trying to find out where you've been in the map is a pain. If you're like 3-4 jumps away it's definitely possible though. Saved waypoints helps a bit but it's wonky.

Had a planet with grav balls and cubes in the last system I was in. Going to move my base there temporarily.

Lucky you. For any planet I found that had aggressive sentinels guarding grav balls, I appended "Protected Habitat" to the name when uploading it so I could find them again, little realising that once I'd made a few jumps there would be no thread back, and the list of systems is not usable as a warp jump list. The latter is one of my most wanted features... Just let me pick one from the list and then view on galaxy map.

vpance

FWIW I believe stars that are red, or maybe even any color other than yellow will have a higher chance of having more interesting planets and ones with cubes/balls. Last one I found was in a green system. I rarely go to yellows anymore after one or 2 hyperdrive upgrades.

magawolaz

Inventory management is still the number one thing that kills my enjoyment of the game. The atlas stones need to stack, everything needs to stack. I can't spend more than 1 minute outside my ship before i've completely filled my inventory. Can't do much exploring this way.
Move the Atlas stones to your ship, they stack. Remove phase beam upgrades if you need slots

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Center of galaxy question: Is the best way to reach the center using black holes? Or just aim towards the bright light? Because I used a black hole before and it sent be to a different quadrant, but not any closer to the center

Black holes without a question. It cuts the travel time down by more than 3/4s.

todahawk

I love that you can fly low and slow and through canyons. Feels like that speeder sequence on Hoth hugging the ground. Looks gorgeous and having fun with the base building. Can't wait to snag a frigate.

Qwark

You can have multiple bases, right? I haven't built one yet, but everything in game refers to *bases*, so I just assume you can.

reminder

Is Chrysonite more difficult to mine now?

I just did a found ship upgrade but didn't have any chrysonite in my inventory and i'm finding it impossible to find to make my warp drive. The little that I have found said I needed an advanced mining laser to mine? I don't remember that being the case at all.

Same here. I use my plasma balls to "mine" it until I find the required mining laser.

Black holes without a question. It cuts the travel time down by more than 3/4s.
Yes, but keep in mind that a black hole always breaks something on your ship at random, and depending on how rare the materials are to fix it, you may have to spend a while farming resources after you jump. If you're lucky it just ends up being a deflector shield or photon cannon. But if you have to go looking for Omegon it might take you a while. Every resource you need can be harvested from crashed ships of course, so it's not like you'll ever be stuck with zero resources.

Good idea, but a better implementation of the same mechanic would be a 'Friend/foe' button.

> aim crosshair at faction you're going to help
> press F/F button
> you can no longer shoot at the faction you highlighted (guns auto-locked when they're in your sights)
> you can still fire at any other target

Maybe holding the button swaps you into 'all friendly' or 'all foe'.

Maybe forget all that and instead do this:
-If you attack a ship that is not a pirate they give you a warning, maybe two warnings if they are a friendly faction. If you keep attacking them then they open fire instead. Shouls be easy to track how many times the player has attacked that ship.
-If they are unfriendly faction then they open fire on you.
-Sentinels and pirates will always fire back.

There. Easy solution.

I was on one and stupidly forgot to farm it before eagerly applying the update. Resources are much scarcer now and you can only stack 5 items in a slot. I lost about 50 Gravitino Balls and 20 odd Vortex Cubes that i had in my inventory when it capped the slots.

*sigh*

I still have 32 million in the bank mainly from salvaging crashed ships and destroyed starfighters for their exotic materials. I also found lots of Emeril and Gold when i started out which helped. I miss my vortex cube labyrinth located next to a Galactic Terminal for easy farming though :(

OK, the "Atlas route" where?

Go to the Star Map and press the RB until the top of the screen says "Atlas Path", the linked stars will show you the path to the system you need to go to.

No worries. The other two map modes are "Free Roam" where you can move around and jump to a system you like the look of and "Journey to the Centre" which will plot a path to the centre of the UniGalactyThingy you're in.

If the "Atlas Path" takes you through the same systems you've been to or you just fancy a change, go into free roam, hop about different systems for a bit and then select "Atlas Path" again and you should get a new path to another Atlas system.

LB & RB move you through the map modes.

Found a decent survival starting planet. Radioactive but with a decent amount of Thamium on the way to the ship and an ok amount of caves. Plutonium also on route. That seems to be a big luck factor for success. Only gripe is that I'm 13:46 minutes away at my starting point.

It's all about strategy and practice pretty much. It's gonna feel so good when/if I succeed I reckon. Just to find Zinc and Heridium somewhere.

LkPr

what happens to the aliens you recruit when you claim a new base (essentially destroying the old one)? Will they automatically be available at your next base or do you need to re-recruit?

what happens to the aliens you recruit when you claim a new base (essentially destroying the old one)? Will they automatically be available at your next base or do you need to re-recruit?

I've read that they reappear when you build their terminal type in the new base.

Withnail

Yeah they automatically appear in the new base once you build the right terminal.

Basically there is very little cost in moving the base to another planet (which is great). It kind of suggests they wanted to avoid complaints about an exploration game having base building.

SomTervo

Maybe forget all that and instead do this:
-If you attack a ship that is not a pirate they give you a warning, maybe two warnings if they are a friendly faction. If you keep attacking them then they open fire instead. Shouls be easy to track how many times the player has attacked that ship.
-If they are unfriendly faction then they open fire on you.
-Sentinels and pirates will always fire back.

There. Easy solution.

Works for me.

HG staff reading this: take note.

magawolaz

30494206103_52fa6c6418_o.jpg
Looked better on my tv than on my monitor.
Still, this game is beautiful

Aselith

To be blunt, what's the point of base building as it's in the game right now? I haven't played it so I wouldn't know.

It adds some much needed user input into the game. Before, everything was basically set. You could mine stuff. you could blow holes in stuff and it all went away later. The base is a place that you can customize and actually show off what YOU did so in that way it's kinda cool. Before it was just about what someone else made that you thought was neat.

Also it gives you some direction for exploration as you need some of the biome specific resources to upgrade and such so it helps give you an anchor to have a goal rather than just aimless exploring with a general "reach the center."

What am I looking at?

The star system orbital mechanics that we were promised and didn't get. :/

Well, this is great. Everything was going fine with the new update, was really enjoying myself and everything, until my farmer gave me a quest to go get some seed fragments from a ruin.

But the marker points underwater. And there's no ruin there. I can't believe they still haven't fixed this. And now there's no way for me to continue on unless I move my base to another location. Which really sucks because I love the planet I'm currently on. Ugh.

Yeah that's frustrating. It seems like an easy fix too...just check for if the base is at an area of water. I wonder if the proc gen system is adding POIs before it adds the water levels. Low on the priority list but I'd like to see them redo the water implementation so we could have mountain lakes, moving water, and actual ocean waves.

Works for me.

HG staff reading this: take note.

I think I prefer the other suggestion of friendly ships not taking damage while you're in Friend mode. Simplistic, but easier for them to implement and less chance of buggy behavior.

i jumped to 8 new areas. no fucking korvax. it pisses me off, since i need to find one to unlock more base options.

At least they've added the race name to the system when you're in it, like Obiwon V (Korvax). Don't know if this is visible from the star map. I hope they improve the star map at some point...it's beautiful but not as functional as it should be. I think that continues to be a general complaint for me with the UI – the game prioritizes slow animations instead of efficient interactions. Talking with NPCs is a chore because of this. In my experience this is coming from the Art Director. I've known way too many ADs who are so precious about their designs that they can't see the problems to functionality it adds. Sean needs to put his foot down. The quicknav is a good start, but everything needs to be faster. I suggested a lot of things to Hello like L1/R1 to flip through crafting pages, but most of it has not been implemented.

To be blunt, what's the point of base building as it's in the game right now? I haven't played it so I wouldn't know.

What others have said and it is also used to unlock certain technologies. It might be completely optional but I am not sure how the changes would impact a brand new playthrough. Probably not I would guess. If you want to just fly around and not bother with a base or a freighter I guess you can still do that and still find all the upgrades you need.

WeTeHa

Has anybody found rigogen? Is it a purple material? Any specific star color?

I've warped to about 30 different star systems with roughly 150 planets total and not a single one had rigogen, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something... Maybe it's like coprite or something...

Any ideas?

This game just got one step closer to my dream game. Imagine base building combined with creature collecting. Yes. I want to build a space zoo. Imagine being able to replicate any species into a cage or enclosure that you've scanned at some point.

daxy

Has anybody found rigogen? Is it a purple material? Any specific star color?

I've warped to about 30 different star systems with roughly 150 planets total and not a single one had rigogen, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something... Maybe it's like coprite or something...

Any ideas?

Have you tried feeding wild animals? They dig up rare materials when you do that.

Top Bottom