• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Cmagus

Anyone know how to get the teleporter working on the space base? I wanna return to my base but it says it's unavaible and for experienced warpers but I've jumped 3 times now and nothing. I woukd really like to return to my base.

magawolaz

Did Raist got perma'd? We need someone to check another player's base, lol

I wasn't paying attention to my router when building but it could very well sync with the servers, after all it's just a matter of coordinates/position/direction/etc for each object.

Looks like the next update might add ground vehicles

Yeah as soon as I saw those base garage doors open in the update video I wondered if vehicles are coming. I'm not really sure it would improve the gameplay that much, but I guess for those that want to stick around on their home base planet it would be a QoL improvement.

Man, I'm on this desert planet trying to find that element for the science terminal, and the creatures here are no joke. I stepped out of my ship and four creatures came straight at me, two different types. Then I was walking through some grass and suddenly one of their infants started nibbling my leg.

The element hunt is tougher now that some of the new elements don't show up on the scanner. edit: I finally found some Titanium crystals to fix my ship shielding and it requires an advanced mining laser now. The struggle is real.

Yeah as soon as I saw those base garage doors open in the update video I wondered if vehicles are coming. I'm not really sure it would improve the gameplay that much, but I guess for those that want to stick around on their home base planet it would be a QoL improvement.

Man, I'm on this desert planet trying to find that element for the science terminal, and the creatures here are no joke. I stepped out of my ship and four creatures came straight at me, two different types. Then I was walking through some grass and suddenly one of their infants started nibbling my leg.

The element hunt is tougher now that some of the new elements don't show up on the scanner.

If they can add systems to diversify a planet within itself(IE maybe..separate biomes? Or having varied locales on each planet...) then vehicles would be very useful.

They could add races and such.

You mean more NPC races? (I agree) Or make NMS: Podracer?

Mon Mo'avii continues to have no chill. Been exploring on foot farther to try to find the missing element, and got attacked by a series of five creatures. A heat storm came through so I had to duck into a cave. My blaster was depleted as I fell into a pit of death crabs. Uh... NMS is not on easy mode anymore.

Loudninja

You mean more NPC races? (I agree) Or make NMS: Podracer?

Mon Mo'avii continues to have no chill. Been exploring on foot farther to try to find the missing element, and got attacked by a series of five creatures. A heat storm came through so I had to duck into a cave. My blaster was depleted as I fell into a pit of death crabs. Uh... NMS is not on easy mode anymore.
Hmmm NPC races sounds good.

I finally found Spadonium (for the science terminal). For reference, it shimmers the same way those plants that damage you do. I don't think they show up on scan though. Unfortunately I think I need 50 units of this stuff and I only have 47...

Decided to give this update a shot and it's not running great on my Razer Blade w/ 1060. I have a huge diagonal tear through the game that is visible whenever moving (but not visible in screenshots). I have vsync on but it doesn't seem to be working.

I also don't seem to be getting great performance, but I think it should be running fine with this laptop's specs...

figpc

Neo Member
Anyone know how to get the teleporter working on the space base? I wanna return to my base but it says it's unavaible and for experienced warpers but I've jumped 3 times now and nothing. I woukd really like to return to my base.
Go to any space station. On the side where the suit upgrade used to be there should be another teleporter. It does a warp animation and you and your ship will be back at your base.

Jobbs

Banned
Who wants to bet multiplayer (actual "join up with your friends" multiplayer) is coming in the next major update or the one after?

If they're going in the base building direction it only seems natural that you'd want to share this with people

sugarless

I finally found Spadonium (for the science terminal). For reference, it shimmers the same way those plants that damage you do. I don't think they show up on scan though. Unfortunately I think I need 50 units of this stuff and I only have 47...

Unless I'm mistaken it shows up on the scan when you can get it from the plant things, they have an icon that looks like a sheet of paper on I think a purple box?

Who wants to bet multiplayer (actual "join up with your friends" multiplayer) is coming in the next major update or the one after?

If they're going in the base building direction it only seems natural that you'd want to share this with people

I'm divided.

Yes it would be nice to have people joining in and traveling the universe with me.

But a kind of online "presence" style, like the Soulsborne series, would also be great. They don't have to turn the game into a MMO imo. Maybe some stations where I can "summon" other players or something?

Unless I'm mistaken it shows up on the scan when you can get it from the plant things, they have an icon that looks like a sheet of paper on I think a purple box?

Yeah, you were right. I didn't know what those icons designated. Ended up exploring that moon for two hours before I found enough of the element by just spotting it visually. At least the moon kept things entertaining for me and I found all 9 of the creatures though. But still no survival achievement. ��

This is maybe one of the most stunning vistas (from an architectural POV) I've seen in the game. Sean has really taken the proc gen to new levels. That curved pointy hill in the middle, I never saw anything that elegant pre-update. The color grading is really way more refined now as well. And it even feels like they improved the previously-horrid ground textures. It's starting to really look like those painterly sci-fi book covers now.
ukAXHsH.jpg

I was checking out that 4.7m alien guy over there when all of a sudden a pack of small creatures ran across my view. I count maybe 9 in this shot, but there were probably 10 others outside the frame. They've really upped the max number of creatures in one place. I also encountered another scene where about 5 scavenger creatures descended on a small group of herbivores. Even though the AI behavior and animations aren't improved, the increase in life makes the planets feel a bit more like real ecosystems.

Oh god... I can destroy my Freighter's cargo, get a ton of stuff (also alert Sentinels), then resummon it and it has all of its cargo intact which I can destroy again. That... is a huge oversight and needs to be patched ASAP.

They've really upped the max number of creatures in one place.

Don't really think so as I've experienced even higher densities (not counting the swarms in the oceans), especially when it comes to smaller animals there can be a ton even pre-patch.

btw, some basic stuff I wish they would still fix:

Size/height of animals is not really indicative of anything:
nomanssky_20161128020j7jpi.png

Bit hard to see but there's a second creature with those green stegosaurus things on the back behind the brown animal.
The thing is, the game tells me the stegosaurus one is supposed to be 5 m while the one in the foreground is listed as 8 m...even though it's obviously not. I think this the most obvious example as both are from the same "class of creatures".

The other thing is the distance in the universe screen. Linear distance to the next star vs linear distance to the universe center. They are using two different scales, so within the universe you always travel 1/4 of the distance given between stars, which makes no sense :p

btw I really like that the room on the space stations are more populated now, even with mixed species:
nomanssky_20161129004jbk6l.png

Although from the lore I thought some of them are technically at war?

edit: btw I still don't like the blurry look TAA introduced on space stations (see above, while the landscape looks fine). They were so clean before.

PulseONE

The ground vehicles would be super useful, but I agree with what others are saying

Each planet needs different biomes, it would add alot to the variety and make each planet feel alot more diverse

somme

I know we can teleport back to our base from space stations, but I hope they add a "Home Planet" icon to the galactic - I wanted to fly back to us up some warp cells but couldn't find home again!

Really enjoying the update though. If they keep adding to the game like this I'll be playing for years to come.

I know we can teleport back to our base from space stations, but I hope they add a "Home Planet" icon to the galactic - I wanted to fly back to us up some warp cells but couldn't find home again!

Really enjoying the update though. If they keep adding to the game like this I'll be playing for years to come.

When you are on your home planet: warp to another system near it, then it lets you set the star system that hosts your home planet as a waypoint in the galactic map. Use the teleport to continue your journey, your home system should show in the galactic map.
I use this as a reference point to see where the wormhole next to my home planet spits me out.

Unless they changed it, the waypoint is deleted every time you start/reload the game though...

Eventually. I don't think it'll be in the very next one.

Roussow

Really liking the gameplay loop that the Base Station Operators are providing. Having to go to specific types of planets for certain materials is really engaging, scouting specifically for underwater or frost covered planets is a neat change from just landing on whatever planet had an icon on it. I think I'm nearing the end of these quests though, I've maxed out the blueprints from the weapons / armor guy, I've got a good amount of construction blueprints, and am pretty deep into earning farming blueprints too.

I bought a 13 slot Freighter, I assume the slot size upgrade path is similar to the old crashed ship method? Although instead of just upgrading pulse engines you've got no choice but to buy a new Freighter each time with incremental upgrades?
Another Freighter question -- I haven't ever pressed up on the d-pad on one, can you build in there? Make Hydroponic Farms on the Freighter, too? Can it basically be your roaming home base?

somme

Another Freighter question -- I haven't ever pressed up on the d-pad on one, can you build in there? Make Hydroponic Farms on the Freighter, too? Can it basically be your roaming home base?

Yes you can build in your freighter. Not everywhere though, only in a section opposite the bridge. Not sure how big you can make your onboard base but probably big enough.

dubq

Sorry if this has been asked, but how do I enable photo mode? I haven't seen a tooltip or anything for it popup while playing..

mokeyjoe

The element hunt is tougher now that some of the new elements don't show up on the scanner. edit: I finally found some Titanium crystals to fix my ship shielding and it requires an advanced mining laser now. The struggle is real.

Ground vehicles are going to be an absolute godsend for survival mode.

Qwark

Sorry if this has been asked, but how do I enable photo mode? I haven't seen a tooltip or anything for it popup while playing..

It's in the options menu. Every time you enable it it gives you a warning that you won't receive any suit/environment warnings so that's kind of annoying, but it is what it is.

qcf x2

I'm divided.

Yes it would be nice to have people joining in and traveling the universe with me.

But a kind of online "presence" style, like the Soulsborne series, would also be great. They don't have to turn the game into a MMO imo. Maybe some stations where I can "summon" other players or something?

I think limited multiplayer would be great to start out. Like, you can invite one person to your planet/session at a time or something. Just 2 people exploring would be awesome enough, I think. I don't need tons of players everywhere all the time, but just having one person cures the loneliness of space.

Effect

They would do well to drop the price permanently to some degree. That I think would it make it easier for people to give the game a try in addition to the update. Dropping this update around Black Friday weekend was a good move.

Danneee

They would do well to drop the price permanently to some degree. That I think would it make it easier for people to give the game a try in addition to the update. Dropping this update around Black Friday weekend was a good move.

Yeah, I finally bought it now that it seems like post release support will be pretty huge.

dubq

It's in the options menu. Every time you enable it it gives you a warning that you won't receive any suit/environment warnings so that's kind of annoying, but it is what it is.

Thanks! It'd be great if Sony would implement a firmware update that allows for a "hide UI for screenshots" toggle in the Share settings. But I guess it's something they want the devs to decide on per game.

Yeah, I finally bought it now that it seems like post release support will be pretty huge.

I'll say that the minute we get a second update (and see what is on it). If it comes in Q1 2017 and is almost as beefy as this one, then we can say the game is well on its way to a good recovery and a bright future. I think a lot of us have learned to be careful. Optimistic but careful. The update is a sign of massive goodwill though, no one can deny that.

Also (complete sidenote), what are the rules for moving threads to Gaming Community and will this thread follow suit sooner or later? Was always interested but never thought to ask.

Gusy

Sean talked about it in the Atlantic article in February:

In March of this year, PlayStation Access also confirmed these types of orbital mechanics (around 1:30). Obviously they were told that by Sean, and this wasn't a two-year old video, this was pretty close to release.

Neither of those things are happening. The planets don't rotate on their axes, the moons don't orbit planets, and the planets do not orbit their star. Hence the day/night cycles which number in the minutes instead of hours or days. In fact, I believe the star actually orbits the planet cluster, which provides the illusion of rotation. And the star is not actually a star, it's just a light in the distance which you can't ever reach – if you try, the coordinate system will eventually go haywire and things will glitch out.

That is the only thing I truly ever felt deceived about. I was sold on the idea that NMS was a proper universe simulation, within reasonable limits, but it's actually just a collection of nicely arranged props.

Agreed 100% It may sound weird, but this for me was the most important feature advertised. I wonder if the stars you see in space are really based on the stars you have nearby in the galactic map, or if its simply a skybox.

Right now it feels like you are in a small box with a few planets that you randomize via the galactic map. It feels like a small place. This, at least for me, is the most important thing to fix right now.

hesido

Agreed 100% It may sound weird, but this for me was the most important feature advertised. I wonder if the stars you see in space are really based on the stars you have nearby in the galactic map, or if its simply a skybox.

Right now it feels like you are in a small box with a few planets that you randomize via the galactic map. It feels like a small place. This, at least for me, is the most important thing to fix right now.

AFAIK Frontier Elite on Amiga had this..

What the hell. I have a relentless pop up for my "unredeemed items" which I redeemed months ago.

I now have a much better ship so I go to acknowledge and dismiss this free ship (again) and it just keeps giving me the pop up every 20 sec or so.

I hope I'm missing something obvious because this is annoying.

Aside from the cool added features and gameplay tweaks, the best thing to come from this update is that finally the game has some positivity going for it.
It's so nice to open a newly made thread about NMS and seeing that the actual game is being discussed and for the most part in a positive manner. Media is also largely positive about how the game is starting to shape up. Good times.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm getting a lot of 'candyfloss' coloured cave systems and I'm not keen. Can we have at least a few caves that are dark so I can use this damned torch? I hope it gets adjusted again because I really don't like the 'negative photo' look at the moment.

Aside from the cool added features and gameplay tweaks, the best thing to come from this update is that finally the game has some positivity going for it.
It's so nice to open a newly made thread about NMS and seeing that the actual game is being discussed and for the most part in a positive manner. Media is also largely positive about how the game is starting to shape up. Good times.

I came to a conclusion while talking with an acquaintance. You know why a lot of people shifted their outlook? One word: RELIEF.

Many, including me, paid 60$ for this game. I can't remember the last time I've done so. Even though I enjoyed the game, I couldn't justify it as a 60$ purchase. Even more so (since it was digital) I couldn't get a refund. But what I hoped for (at least) was that the game would get a decent and long term support that made it worthwhile. It didn't come so we were a bit desperate.

So, what happened in the last few days was that people (like me) went from a "Why did I buy this?" mentality to a one where you think "Yes! I don't feel nearly as bad owning it anymore. It also helps that it's a good update."

I dunno, it's Stockholm syndrome or something

Anyhow, purely objectively, it's a good update on its own but even more meaningful given the context and method of its release.

WeTeHa

I finally found a planet with rigogen. Oh my god, that took forever. It's actually super hard to miss since it's a giant glowing underwater-plant (that only gives 6-8 rigogen)

- named system "rigogen system"
- named planet "rigogen planet"
- placed beacon on the planet and waypoint on the system

I'm never giving up this beacon

Top Bottom