• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

For the extreme conditions trophy, do I need to be on a planet that has "extreme _____" for weather? Or can it be on a planet that lists something else for weather but just sometimes has the "extreme" hud warning show up on the planet surface?

The number on the bottom left HAS TO BE RED for it to be a extreme situation.
Be it toxicity , radiation or Temp , as long as the number's red it's counting toward the survivalist trophy. ( even if at some point if falls back to white ) The counter will reset only if you quit the planet , so you can save and do it in small bursts if it's too painfull to wait.

Hold tight people, a mod that removes the auto-pilot is incoming super soon.

God damn. Very jealous.

I'm struggling to find why we'd want that.

I've been wanting to take my ship super low over the surface and skate through some canyons or needle through an arch or large cavern ever since this launched The current auto-pilot system that auto-corrects your height whenever you get near something, feels overly hand-holdy, imo.

Seiniyta

Why you'd want to fly around on a planet without a cushion of air pushing you away from all the fun parts? Like flying under floating islands, or through canyons that aren't a 1/4 mile wide?

Pretty much, just tested the mod. It's definitly not perfect since the collision box of your ship is pretty much a box. It'll take some actual skill manouvring through stuff. And you can get your ship stuck in caves I found out. thankfully I can free my ship through grenades :p

Next stop I proposed to the modders is shooting holes/destroy terrain with ship weapons

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/lowflight-by-hytek-packed/

There's the mod

God damn. Very jealous.

I've been wanting to take my ship super low over the surface and skate through some canyons or needle through an arch or large cavern ever since this launched The current auto-pilot system that auto-corrects your height whenever you get near something, feels overly hand-holdy, imo.

ooooh. I didn't realise thats what "auto pilot" referred to.

Yeah, I'd want that removed.

Seiniyta

Oh man if destruction (and even mining) on planet via your ship becomes a thing... well now, that would be peachy.

In theory it should be possible. You could put the effect the Plasma Launcher gives on the ship weapons, give it a bigger radius (or not) and blast away. Definitely seems in the realm of possibility to mod in.

Pretty much, just tested the mod. It's definitly not perfect since the collision box of your ship is pretty much a box. It'll take some actual skill manouvring through stuff. And you can get your ship stuck in caves I found out. thankfully I can free my ship through grenades :p

Next stop I proposed to the modders is shooting holes/destroy terrain with ship weapons

There's the mod

The video they used to show off the mod is terrible. No arches, no canyons, they don't even fly under anything.

cooldawn

Although I'm only in my second solar system I've come across a most impressive planet. It's made completely of rock but my god it's beautiful...especially dawn/dusk with the wind whipping up the dust. I'm playing on PS4 but still, some of these scenes are so unique in video games that I just love peering over the next hill or mountain to get my next postcard shot.

Absolutely immense atmosphere.

I also wish that other genres could use this technology for open world shenanigans.

In theory it should be possible. You could put the effect the Plasma Launcher gives on the ship weapons, give it a bigger radius (or not) and blast away. Definitely seems in the realm of possibility to mod in.

Yeah it didn't make a ton of sense why the photon cannon on my ship busted open asteroids and wrecked spaceships, but wouldn't put a dent on a cactus.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone getting bounties? If so are they getting progressively harder? I got one bounty (One star, 10,000u) which I finished, then after that I got a couple that just turned into pirate attacks, with no credit reward.
I fought a couple bounties, but I was also unsure whether I actually received the reward.

I don't think they get harder, it just seems random. One of the first I saw was a three star bounty for 80,000u.

An NPC update with "factions" to join or do jobs for is sorely needed.

Would make the space/trade stations more lively and worthwhile.

People on the space station need meats and veggies too.

I want to live out Firefly damn it!

Love the game though.

Oh wow, regarding my earlier post about finding a grave that wasn't my own, turns out this system was indeed discovered by another player.

Hold tight people, a mod that removes the auto-pilot is incoming super soon.

Do you know if it will be a toggle? Sometimes i want to hot-dog about but mostly i'm content to glide along looking for points of interest without worrying about ploughing into the ground.

edit: I thought the link was for destructo scenery. I've just read it and it's a perma change not a toggle but with the rate these guys work stuff out i wonder if it can be toggled down the line?

The only mod i'm really wanting is a compass or something for when i'm on the planet so i don't go round in big circles lol!

Bryko

I'm having a super hard time upgrading my multitool for some reason. Are there any buildings that are guaranteed to have a gun for purchase?

soqquatto

I'm having a super hard time upgrading my multitool for some reason. Are there any buildings that are guaranteed to have a gun for purchase?

you'll have to be off planet. the only one is in the
space anomaly station. the "pillar" on the right in the room with the corvax and the gex always contain a multitool
but it's not guaranteed to be better than yours

cobell

YMMV, when I was in Korvax space, pretty much every set of buildings with a Korvax NPC had a multitool to purchase. Once I reached Gek space, I have yet to find as single multi tool purchase station.

Guaranteed to have guns. for purchase? Go to Outposts on Vy'keen planets. I don't think I've ever seen a Vy'keen Outpost without a gun locker in it. Korvax often have them but not always IIRC. Gek are the ones I see gun lockers in the least.

Guaranteed to be an upgrade? Nope, it's a random chance to either be a side-grade, worse pistol, or better gun

Don't you just hate it when you have 1 species left on a planet and it's a flying one but you can't manage to shoot it down?

Is homing bolt helpful for getting these winged bastards?

Patchy

Banned
YMMV, when I was in Korvax space, pretty much every set of buildings with a Korvax NPC had a multitool to purchase. Once I reached Gek space, I have yet to find as single multi tool purchase station.

I was handed 2 upgrades by a Gek trader on my planet last night, both times they were rubbish though - 5 slots less than my current (22).

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hoo boy, I just had an even weirder bug for the first time. Landed on a planet and as I got out of the cockpit, I flung way up into the sky, thought I was going to leave the atmosphere for a moment there. Kept falling down for a good while and safely landed with a short jetpack boost.

That sounds like a goddamn feature!

There's the mod

Hilarious bonus that comes with this mod....it lets you fly underwater. Not sure what happens if you get out while you're underwater, but it may make underwater exploration a bit more interesting.

Definitely giving this a shot tonight :D

How did people turn off autopilot without access to the code? Was it really just a setting in a config file?

Oh wow, regarding my earlier post about finding a grave that wasn't my own, turns out this system was indeed discovered by another player.

That's awesome. Too bad it doesn't list the player name on the grave. Seems like a missed opportunity for one of those multiplayer "moments" Sean talked about.

How did people turn off autopilot without access to the code? Was it really just a setting in a config file?

The game is packaged in PAK files which are meant to keep people from messing with the game, but are usually relatively easy to get into and modify. They're not modifying the executable per se, but it does appear they're changing scripting or other game files to make this (and every other mod) work.

Seiniyta

The game is packaged in PAK files which are meant to keep people from messing with the game, but are usually relatively easy to get into and modify. They're not modifying the executable per se, but it does appear they're changing scripting or other game files to make this (and every other mod) work.

The Pak's themselves are super easy to open. It's just mean to package them to improve loading.

However, it's the mbin files within the packs that are harder and had to be reverse engineered, and then recompiled to be used as a mod.
At the moment it seems we can change anything in the code (though not everything can be recompiled at the moment) But we can't add code to it (yet).

Although this is maybe optimistic, but it appears (so far) that the game will be extremely moddable.

The Pak's themselves are super easy to open. It's just mean to package them to improve loading.

However, it's the mbin files within the packs that are harder and had to be reverse engineered, and then recompiled to be used as a mod.
At the moment it seems we can change anything in the code (though not everything can be recompiled at the moment) But we can't add code to it (yet).

Although this is maybe optimistic, but it appears (so far) that the game will be extremely moddable.

I'm more interested in the stuff found that is "turned off" that could be implemented officially down the line. Perhaps things that weren't quite ready for launch. Seen much on that?

Don't you just hate it when you have 1 species left on a planet and it's a flying one but you can't manage to shoot it down?

Is homing bolt helpful for getting these winged bastards?

Try the mining beam? Easier to hit things when you don't have to lead your target. Only issue would be if you're too far away for some reason but I can't imagine that every single flying spawn would be at an altitude too high for you to reach.

EDIT:

They fly to fast, can't hit 'em.

Oh. Though still, if you can keep the target in the general vicinity, you can whittle down its health with glancing blows from the beam. You could also try the combat enhancers for the beam; I actually use it as my primary weapon now and don't even mess around with boltcasters.

Ah there you go, thanks for the clarification.

Seiniyta

I'm more interested in the stuff found that is "turned off" that could be implemented officially down the line. Perhaps things that weren't quite ready for launch. Seen much on that?

they're now trying to figure out planet rotation. It's time consuming mapping out all the files, making templates so they be decompiled, so it'll be a while. Unless you know exactly what you're looking for it's kinda tricky finding.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vN21yTG9CNC5wbmcifQ.lw4EVp1PoNTHOaxGErOY_77l7Wo.png

So rotation of planets at least seems to be still in the code. They just have to find the corresponding files and see if they can mess with the speed to make it more visible and then see why they've 'really' decided to dial it back down (if not entirely disabled)

neoism

god fucking DAMNNN IT

i spent 6 hours today getting my ship to 48 slots and didnt know that the switch ship glitch does work after you close the game down...

��

so i upgraded almost 100% one of the fucking most ugly ass ship ever...

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

iwas all about fashion ship now all of the ship are over 100 mill and of course the upgrade bonuses are all fucked up on them...

the inventory management in this game is literally the fucking wosrt in any game ive ever played ever...

soo i have to spend 100 mill and still redo all my upgrades...

����������

fuck this game

They're not modifying the executable per se, but it does appear they're changing scripting or other game files to make this (and every other mod) work.

they're now trying to figure out planet rotation. It's time consuming mapping out all the files, making templates so they be decompiled, so it'll be a while. Unless you know exactly what you're looking for it's kinda tricky finding.

Thanks. Would be interesting to see whether code for planet orbits is still in the game.

god fucking DAMNNN IT

i spent 6 hours today getting my ship to 48 slots and didnt know that the switch ship glitch does work after you close the game down...

��

so i upgraded almost 100% one of the fucking most ugly ass ship ever...

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

iwas all about fashion ship now all of the ship are over 100 mill and of course the upgrade bonuses are all fucked up on them...

the inventory management in this game is literally the fucking wosrt in any game ive ever played ever...

soo i have to spend 100 mill and still redo all my upgrades...

����������

fuck this game

Can't still find crashed ships though? Can't you just go down 1 slot, then up again?

Raiden

Banned
Yoo found this planet that is filled as fuck with venom sac. Made like 1 mill in half an hour or so. Gonna stay here so i can buy a new ship. Its my second ship and i only have 17 slots. It takes like 5 min to fill my inventory with all those venom sacs. Stacking would be nice..

Anyone else wish the asteroids in space didn't just follow you wherever you go? I get why they do it so you don't get stranded but I miss the idea of massive asteroid belts and other interesting things unique to each Galaxy .

Anyone else wish the asteroids in space didn't just follow you wherever you go? I get why they do it so you don't get stranded but I miss the idea of massive asteroid belts and other interesting things unique to each Galaxy .

I think the asteroids must be procedurally generated – in the last system I was on, every time I looked out the window in the space station I saw the same asteroids sitting there.

But yeah it's a weird design decision. It makes space feel very cluttered and a bit claustrophobic. The thing is, you can't really get stranded in space; your normal engines always work. It just might take you a couple hours to get back to a space station.

somme

Are people making typos, or are a lot of people actually confused at the differences between star systems, galaxies and the universe? It's happened a lot.

Gattsu25

Banned
Zinc is really easy to find. If you use ur scanner on foot the yellow icons are all zinc flowers (titanium crystals also appear as yellow icons if im not wrong).
So any planet that have a little flora, will have alot of zinc flowers.

I made the mistake of upgrading my ship on a barren planet that didn't have any plantlife of any kind and no Zinc deposits. Thank goodness you can get zinc by destroying upgrades.

neoism

Can't still find crashed ships though? Can't you just go down 1 slot, then up again?

nah i can of course find other ships and do the gek crash ship thing to find a bunch of them quick.... but i have to redo all my upgrades...

i did them so i could get the bonuses from putting them beside each other ... why the FUCK you can move over all your hard ass work is triggering as fuck....

but their is a glitch i heard about basically
you find a ship you want for fashionship compare than accept it then load your previous save your old ship will look ke the yone you just accepted.. it works but once you close the game down and re boot its back to the ugly ass ship...

why cant you just fucking buy the ship you want and not have to redo all the up grades again..�� its bummed me out so much ima just take a break... just sooo dumb..

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
nah i can of course find other ships and do the gek crash ship thing to find a bunch of them quick.... but i have to redo all my upgrades...

i did them so i could get the bonuses from putting them beside each other ... why the FUCK you can move over all your hard ass work is triggering as fuck....

you find a ship you want for fashionship compare than accept it then load your previous save your old ship will look ke the yone you just accepted.. it works but once you close the game down and re boot its back to the ugly ass ship...

why cant you just fucking buy the ship you want and not have to redo all the up grades again..�� its bummed me out so much ima just take a break... just sooo dumb..
I also think it's a little lame that ships only appear with maybe +9 slots from what you already have. Why can't I just save up and eventually buy a 48 ship? Instead, currently with a 30 slot ship, the highest one I've ever seen anywhere is 39. So I'd have to buy that, and then save an even bigger fortune for another upgrade. Without doing the crashed ship nonsense, it would take an exceedingly long time to buy your way to the max.

Raist

Banned
So I found this pretty cool (teehee) freezing planet. Extreme conditions all that jazz, 12 species to discover, why not?

That's a few down already. Bye ship, see ya later. If I don't freeze my ass off.

nomanssky_20160822235ljsx0.png

First time I see "mammalian" aquatic species. Otturtles, I guess.

nomanssky_20160822235zfsnf.png

Derpy dinos chilling (teehee) on a rocky arch.

nomanssky_20160823002s2syf.png

Beargaroo?

nomanssky_20160823003cpsp5.png

Meet Bobby. He's pretty nice. Despite the looks. Finds rare elements and stuff.

nomanssky_20160823005s7spt.png

A HUGE rock structure. Never seen that before. To give an idea of the scale, those small things at the top are a Thamium plant and a plutonium crystal.

nomanssky_20160823010k3sjh.png

Well, all species GET, thanks for the 300k, time to get out of this pl- wait, that's not my ship.

nomanssky_20160823011d5sns.png

D-did Nada and Polo just fucking hijack my ship from space?

nomanssky_201608230110mse0.png

I see, yeah that sucks. I never take crashed ships, because trying to get all of the resources to rebuild my warp drives seems like a huge chore. I'm hoping they streamline this in a future update, and I'll hold out on swapping out my 30 slot ship til then...

besada

Banned
B7B6B7B68754ED4155124B4A715549730BF994D6

Nearly killled by this giant puppy dog, who hit me with his snout and tossed me a good five feet.
8C6B08226094A904602247CDA39A207AB306A43C

Ran across this and thought it was interesting. Coincidentally, just below the ring was a monolith.

Raist, I was on a planet with those huge stone structures, earlier. Some went deep into the planet, too. I've also seen ropy cables of stone, like a giant spiderweb.

Top Bottom