• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

8C6B08226094A904602247CDA39A207AB306A43C

Ran across this and thought it was interesting. Coincidentally, just below the ring was a monolith.

That is legitimately the most interesting natural formation I've seen yet. And creepy as hell with the lighting. I wonder if the monolith caused the carving out of the floating island?

Think I am putting this down for Deus Ex until there is a content update/patch. Since the plat and getting
spoiled for the center
, I don't have much enthusiasm to continue.

Poetaster

Banned
Those ugly panel covered ships must have reliability issues. Whenever I've tried to find a crashed version of a nice looking ship in any given system, I've had to go through about half a quintillion ugly panel ships to find it.

Those ugly panel covered ships must have reliability issues. Whenever I've tried to find a crashed version of a nice looking ship in any given system, I've had to go through about half a quintillion ugly panel ships to find it.

The same base model of ships you see at space stations is what you'll find in that system for crashed ships. So if you're in the market for a new one you can use the station to window shop.

Poetaster

Banned
The same base model of ships you see at space stations is what you'll find in that system for crashed ships. So if you're in the market for a new one you can use the station to window shop.
Oh I know, that's what I do. I'm just saying I have to go through a ton of those ugly panel covered ships before I find that one nice ship.

wowzors

running the game on PC and it seems like its skipping frames like crazy its killing my eyes. I have a gtx 1080 and 6800k and am getting like 100-117 fps so i dont think its frame drops and I have Gsync running, its pretty unplayable for me.

Got that survival trophy , this definitely should have been like the others , incremential across multiples planets, time to wrap to the center while blasting ships now ...

Karu

i'm so bummed right now. I bought No Man's Sky a week after a release so I knew full well what everybody thought about it. My following opinion is not fueled by false advertising, the metacritic score or whatever. It is solely based on what I felt while playing. Keep that in mind! =)

I think the game sucks for me on PS4 because - and this is not something I say often, because I am not a graphic person, I play on PS4 after all, heh - but the fact that the game is aestethically not pleasing at all imo is ruining the sense of wonder I might have had or have hoped would feel in spite of the survival aspects etc. And even then I was hoping, maybe, the check list gameplay would suck me in despite its flaws as countless Ubisoft titles have done (Unity, Watch_Dogs as recent examples), but even that didn't work and I'm a little baffled.

So yeah, bummed out. I'm glad certain people enjoy it though and while Hello Games didn't earn my trust here in terms of being capable of developing a game that I might enjoy, I hope they can improve upon NMS as I may return in the future.

Man the more I play this, the more I wish there was a ship building mechanic in this game. Where you could find schematics to build different parts of ships.

Man the more I play this, the more I wish there was a ship building mechanic in this game. Where you could find schematics to build different parts of ships.

That's a good idea , maybe finding new pieces os schematics on crash sites for exemple ?

That would be cool.

IT would be intresting once the base building thing they've promised is done.

That's a good idea , maybe finding new pieces os schematics on crash sites for exemple ?

That would be cool.

IT would be intresting once the base building thing they've promised is done.

Yup definitely. I've gotten to a point where I'm just getting dupe schematics. I wish there was a system in place to sell off dupes. And its weird that I get schematics for regular exosuit stuff. Like the regular jet pack and shit. Whats the point?

I just came across a ship that looked like darth maul's personal ship in phantom menace, but it flew away before I got a chance to talk to the pilot :(

Raist

Banned
Yup definitely. I've gotten to a point where I'm just getting dupe schematics. I wish there was a system in place to sell off dupes. And its weird that I get schematics for regular exosuit stuff. Like the regular jet pack and shit. Whats the point?

I wish you could dismantle them once you get the blueprints. Get that goddamn jetpack out of that corner.

So I just figured out, if you're not sure if you want to buy a ship yet, and you want to go through your inventory, if you stand on top of the ship, it wont fly away until you get off of it.

Finally nabbed my Sentinel trophy then blasted into space to visit the anomaly.

Decided to get a black hole marked down on my map-- dunno if I'll use it though seeing as how it fries ship components going through. Not on the Atlas Path, and known what awaits me there I'm perfectly alright engaging NMS at my own pace and just exploring the stars. Feels good not to be tied down.

Prevent people from getting more or less fucked if they do that before having the BP, I guess.

Should be activated once we've got all 3 basic upgrades.

Heck i wouldn't mind paying Units to moves upgrades around , since at some point , getting money is SUPER EASY

This is the first thing I thought of when they said base building was coming. Ship building makes much more sense. Pick the base model then choose wings, engines etc. Ability to paint what colour you want.

Jonbo298

running the game on PC and it seems like its skipping frames like crazy its killing my eyes. I have a gtx 1080 and 6800k and am getting like 100-117 fps so i dont think its frame drops and I have Gsync running, its pretty unplayable for me.

Have you tried forcing Fast Sync (Vsync option) on NMS through the Nvidia Control Panel?

OuterLimits

Ship building would be awesome, and make much more sense in this game than base building. Just being able to name your ship would be nice as well. Base building seems pointless unless they make it much easier to get back to previous systems. The whole star map is ridiculously frustrating.

Granted, any additions would be nice at this point, since its rather lacking in content. Better space battles, better use of factions, and NPC quests would certainly be welcome. It's ridiculous how easy it is to level up with each faction. Would be nice if leveling up with one faction caused a negative reaction with another.

I wish more alien races existed within the game as well.

The foundation of this game is good, but it could be so much better.

Someone on Reddit suggest the specific ships have different shield levels:
4,6, and 8 shields.

They have examples of the ships but I thought most of us can work it out from the frame of the windscreen.

I don't know if the shield level affects the price or the storage capacity?

I didn't realize I had such planet OCD – I can't just skip a system without checking all the planets and naming them. I thought I had reached my first Atlas thing, but another system of five planets is in the way. noooo

So I just figured out, if you're not sure if you want to buy a ship yet, and you want to go through your inventory, if you stand on top of the ship, it wont fly away until you get off of it.

Heh you don't have to stand on top of the ship, just stand next to it. I do this all the time when I'm trading with ships at space stations. They'll never leave until you walk away. This is true in stations and at outposts.

The bigger the ship the more hull points they have. I have one of the big cargo ships and it has 8. Haven't noticed any other differences.

CaLe

After spoiling myself and seeing what happens when you reach the center,
I uninstalled the game. What an insult. It didn't deserve the 40 hours I put into it. Geez.

I didn't realize I had such planet OCD – I can't just skip a system without checking all the planets and naming them. I thought I had reached my first Atlas thing, but another system of five planets is in the way. noooo

You think you've got it bad. I'm 38 hours into the game and I've probably spent the last 12 in this one system of three planets. THREE. And I just got to the third planet, too.

muteki

My first 48 slot ship. I'm going to keep an eye out for something with a little more character but pretty happy I didn't end up with a space truck junker as my first. Vast majority of ships in this sector are of the two pringles cans taped together variety.

Beaulieu

Found the warp reactor Tau upgrade, but it said I already had it.
Trying to install it, I dont have it in my options.

I only have sigma, and its installed.

Is that a knows issue ? Am I fucked for max warp drive efficiency ? Will I be able to reach the center anyways ?

Is that a knows issue ? Am I fucked for max warp drive efficiency ? Will I be able to reach the center anyways ?
I found it about 10 times before it actually showed up in my blueprints menu.

Same with the theta drive.

mokeyjoe

It sometimes tries to give it to you as a multitool upgrade. You'll find it correctly later.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Had the deal of the century here:

Cqghm6JXYAAN6E7.jpg

When all is said and done:

Cost me most of my money, but was worth it. Love the ship design.
How many slots did your previous ship have?

I've been trying to figure out the range of ships the game presents you based on your current ship.

Haunted

Free flight mod, very nice. Now I only need a bigger inventory mod and a more sensible hyperdrive mod (x1000 is a bit much). Good stuff.

For a second I thought we had been on the same planet. Also saw these floaty things. They dont move or anything.

3S6Nz4u.jpg
Those look fucking awesome. Feels like you found a Zerg colony and some overlords.

Razgreez

My first 48 slot ship. I'm going to keep an eye out for something with a little more character but pretty happy I didn't end up with a space truck junker as my first. Vast majority of ships in this sector are of the two pringles cans taped together variety.

It's not amazing but it's definitely sexy. There some really attractive ships flying around in my current system yet the crashes are all the same (worst) 2 and on the odd occasion a different one pops up it's never the ones I'm interested in

Rewind

Devs said GSync doesn't work right now try turning it off.

Found a good crashed ship. Yay.

However, to repair the hyoerdrive I need to buy a Dynamic Resonator. I don't seem to have a blueprint for it, if there is at all. Anyknow know?

Slay

Hi guys, i have the following problem. At some point i created using the anomaly paths that i didn't follow at the time. The result now is that i cannot see either a black hole or a station, when i stumble upon an anomaly. There is no way to backtrack tens of thousands of LY just to clear them out, so what options i'm left with in order to reach the center fast?

I have all the reactors lined up , and i can jump up to 1620LY, but the real distance to the center doesn't get reduced by that amount, not even close. As i have seen in some youtube videos, i entered free mode and started to look around to spot black holes, but that didn't work either, because i cannot see them on the map.

Any tips? what are my best option right now? continue aiming at the center? following the path to the center? (it stop at 500LY give or take) some other thing?

Aenima

I have been this last 3 days window shopping in space stations for my unicorn. I was looking for a specific model with the long front, but that model appear very rarely, and when it appeared there was always something i dont liked, or had weird wings or awful colors... untill today i saw one pretty much perfect for me.

Only problem was, it was in a Korvac solar system, so i could not use the Gek towers to quick search. Anyway i had to get it. After 4 hours of searching for transmition towers + crash sites i finally found it right when i was about to give up.

And thats how the planet looked after all the search (notice the other markers in the other side of the planet :p )

So the quest for my ship is over, time to enjoy the views and relax :)

To be honest, I'm not too sure, but I'd advise focusing on upgrading one at a time to start. My suit was the easiest thing to upgrade (finding drop pods by selecting "Shelter" from the beacons emitting orange light), and I'd just grind rare resources to make sure that I have enough to afford the upgrade (first upgrade is free, I believe, second upgrade is 10,000, and each upgrade after that adds 10,000 to the cost, ie, second upgrade 20,000, third 30,000, etc, etc). Secondly, Atlas Pass V1 opens up the door in the space station and it contains a suit upgrade pod as well. The first thing I'd do when I entered a new section is stop by the space station, offload any goods at the market, then open that door and buy a suit upgrade. By the time I got to 48 slots, I had amassed quite a bit of chump change (over 1 million, simply from farming and selling resources like Aquaspheres, Gravatino Balls, and resources like Gold, although Plutonium is plentiful, and can net you some nice profit if you're in a pinch). Once my suit was upgraded, I started looking for a better multitool (I settled on one with 20 slots, but will upgrade again eventually; my current configuration of upgrades is making mining and combat a cinch). After the multitool, I finally settled on a ship with about 25 slots, which I purchased for 1.7 million. I'm doing a few other things first, but I'll soon be purchasing a ship with more slots (probably after I save up about 5 or 6 million units), and then I'm farming "Transmissions" from the signal beacons to find a ship with 40+ slots. It can be overwhelming trying to upgrade all three at once, so Suit > Tool > Ship worked out best for me so far.

You should find Drop Pods that expand the exosuit inventory often enough. I had a string where I found 3 in a row just cruising around on a planet. You should also come across crashed ships that often have larger storage than your ship.

You can do it right from the get-go. Have you found any transmission towers yet? You use a bypass chip on them and you can search for monoliths, shelters, transmissions, etc. If you search for Transmission and uncover a Transmission Tower, that will lead to a new ship. If you search for Shelter and uncover a Drop Pod, that will lead to an exosuit upgrade. I'd prioritize the exosuit to start; the first upgrade is free and then every subsequent upgrade is $10,000 more than the previous. Just keep using the transmission tower to scan for Shelter and find a bunch of Drop Pods.

You really don't need to worry about upgrading your ship early on. Focus on jumping around and exploring; eventually you'll stumble across a system with easily harvestable super-expensive items (Sac Venom, Vortex Cubes, Gravitino Balls, stuff that sells for $25,000+). Once you can start farming expensive resources, you can make money very quickly. Before that, buying a ship is prohibitively expensive. You can upgrade via crashed ships found with transmission towers, but they're always badly damaged and in need of repairs and it's often only a single slot or two upgrade; really slow to upgrade to a significantly large ship as compared to farming expensive resources and buying a ship that's 25+ slots (too much beyond that and ships get so expensive that scavenging crash sites is the only real way to increase slots).
Thanks for the advice!

Apparently I completely missed the recipe for the bypass chip, and as a result I haven't activated a single beacon on any of the ~10 planets I've been too yet. >.<
I'll craft some of those and get started with a bit more guidance in my exploration of planets from now on. So far I've just been stumbling onto everything I've found (translation pods and installations mainly).

I also didn't mess with the PC graphics settings until just now and apparently I've played the first 4 hours of this game playing with all medium settings and max-30FPS. After I bumped those up and increased the FOV it looks a lot better and runs a lot smoother.

Unicorn

Awesome! Can you share a picture of those mountains?

Sorry I'm late to reply with images. I searched for hours on the original planet but could never find that mountain again. I just found another planet with cloud-piercing mountains, but it's an irradiated planet that is constantly hazy. I fought a storm on the way up and had to wait for it to clear once at the peak, but even waiting didn't allow for a good view from teh top. But, yeah. Here's a mountain and then another image at the top to show that it actually clips/pierces into the clouds.

Finally took the time to get a 48 slot ship today, as well as getting all the upgrades I care about situated on it.

It's not a rare ship model by any means, but my only requirements for my final ship were that it needed to be sleek and mostly symmetrical, so this fits the bill nicely. Can't stand bulky ships, personally.

Ridwald

I was wondering this myself. So instead of charting your own path to the center, it's best to just use the gold waypoint they give you for the center, then? I think the end of each waypoint is roughly 600 LY. Manually I can get 1500 but if that's not the real distance traveled then there's no point.

It's the best explanation i could come up with when i looked at the numbers :) Maybe someone else has already explained that but i didn't see it.

It kind of depends of where you are in the Atlas quest, if you have finished the Atlas then

You now have the ability to spot automatically the black holes in the galaxy. Maybe there's a better option but what i did instead of following the "route to the center' proposed by the game was to aim manually for the center and find the farthest (in warp range) black hole to warp to. By doing this you gain LY from your first warp and then LY from the black hole.

On average i'd say you travel between 1800/2000 LY to the center with the drawback of having an upgrade/equipment breaking in the process.

If you didn't finish that quest line i would recommend doing it or you're in for a massive number of Warps following the golden route ! But you can plan your travel as you want it !

Top Bottom