• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Anyone getting bounties? If so are they getting progressively harder? I got one bounty (One star, 10,000u) which I finished, then after that I got a couple that just turned into pirate attacks, with no credit reward.

noomi

I would love to see pictures of everyone's ships ^_^

Posted mine the other day, 48 slots. LOOOOONG NOSE

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vd05PNVE5YS5qcGcifQ.Pf6lXbWTgkkrTKb8myQc7QU-Ec0.jpg

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Did the latest PS4 patch take out "learning a new word" from the aliens? Usually you can learn a new word from them after giving them so many carbon. The option no longer seems to be there.

I dont think so, I've been able to do that since 1.05.

I had 4 hours of playtime in the game and am trying to get a steam refund.. they denied it saying I spent more than 2 hours with the game. Well shit, a 2 hour limit on refund policies is a little low?

Think that has always been the case since they introduced their refund policy.

I personally avoid buying games from Steam if I can. Over the years they have gone from the darlings of the PC gaming scene to your typical corporate style pricks with especially shitty support.

Surprisingly, the best support I have received to date for stuff like refunds and price corrections has been EA/Origin.

Nitty_Grimes

I've got a strange bug now.

When I go to a transmission tower, it never sends me to a crashed ship anymore.

ZalXII

Does the atllas path refresh depending on my current position or are these waypoints stale? I got all warp drives yesterday and warped my way to the center since then, completely ignoring all paths and they seem out of range now. At least, it would be a huge waste to backtrack to them.

And what's with the other waypoints the game still tracks, can i delete them? They don't make any sense for my current status now.

I've got a pretty bog-standard fighter, decent looking, but not what I really want. I can post pics later.

I had a really slick looking Science ship, with the X-Wings (but not in chrome sadly). Problem with the Science ship is with the cockpit. While it's really open, the actual range of motion of your viewport is exceedingly tiny. At least compared to the fighter Bubble/Trapazoid cockpits (heck, even compared to the Freighters and Suhttles).

What I really want is the ultimate white whale.....a good looking shuttle. And preferably in a color other than pink.

Unicorn

Just landed on a desert planet and it's made me so home sick. This game does vistas right.

Gonna try to gif a time lapse with images but have never done it before? Any easy solutions?

Nitty_Grimes

I've read this:

To find crashed ships in No Man’s Sky, fly over planet surfaces looking for map beacons emitting an orange light. Craft a Bypass Chip (10 Iron and 10 Plutonium, easily gathered on any planet surface) and use it on the beacon, then select Transmission Tower.

At the Transmission Tower, you must solve a sequence puzzle to receive a map update with the location of a crashed ship. These sequences are usually pretty simple but if you have any trouble just plug the first few numbers into Google and you’ll almost certainly find the answer, usually in response to someone begging for homework help. Do not select an answer if you’re not sure, as this will close off the quest for ever; press cancel (Circle) to back out of the interface.

But it isn't working for me, it doesn't direct me to solve a puzzle, it also usually sends me somewhere I have already been.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Where the fuck can I find the damn atlas pass v1? Warped 4 times, seen the atlas, met over 50 aliens, know 300 words and still no fucking sign of it.

I got in a recipe from a text choice at a facility. The text said
something about "coming across a conversation where people were talking about ME", or something similar.

I got the pass on my current planet, which was my fourth system, third warp. But I also have been playing a lot like you (same amount of aliens met and words known milestones, etc.. )

That was 1.04. wasn't it? I think 1.05 hit some time in the last 24 hours.

1.05 hit PS4 yesterday (Sunday) morning I believe. It's been completely stable for me since then *knocks on wood*

Elandyll

Banned

Atm my ships are a mess, upgrading every time I find a +1 whatever the looks.
Within 3 days I went from a sexy Viper with long wing to the retarded illegitimate child of the milenium falcon and the Turtle (Cobra anime), then a model straight out of Thunderbirds, to a tube-o-rama basic background model used in far away fleet shot of BSG, to a super sexy combo Slave-1/ Oblivion ship which I begrudgingly traded for a German Uboat which was itself traded for a somewhat sexy bastard version of a Viper/ XWing/ Tie Fighter hybrid...

cooldawn

I just saw this: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...a_for_those_of_you_who_were_wondering_how_to/

Some people in the comment aren't sure about the OP info though (I'll never understand how reddit threads work)

Is there a definitive screenshot on how to arrange upgrades? Especially ship upgrades?
Thanks
I asked this way back in the original No Man's Sky thread...but generally because my tech highlights when grouped I group them all. It must do something so that's how I've planned them.

I've read this:

But it isn't working for me, it doesn't direct me to solve a puzzle, it also usually sends me somewhere I have already been.

The "Transmission" option on those orange light searching nodes will send you one of three places: Observatories, Transmission Towers, and Beacons. Observatories and Transmission Towers show up as a Red icon, Beacons show up as blue. Observatories point you to Alien Ruins, Transmission Towers point you to crashed ships, and Beacons send you to the nearest Outpost with a landing pad where you can buy/sell things on the Galactic Market.

So on the orange light search node things, keep pumping in bypass chips until it gives you a Transmission Tower, then go there and you're ready to farm some ships. On Gek planets at least. For now until they patch it out.....

Ugh. I found a 48-slot ship over the weekend and snagged it. Now I'm regretting not waiting to find one that I love. I assume I have to downgrade to a 47 then find a new 48er, right? It makes me feel a tad ill since I began upgrading the thing already.

magawolaz

I asked this way back in the original No Man's Sky thread...but generally because my tech highlights when grouped I group them all. It must do something so that's how I've planned them.
Yeah but some say that grouping them in square shapes give bigger bonuses (because of the number of sides touching), so I wanna be sure before scrapping everything one more time lol

I just saw this: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...a_for_those_of_you_who_were_wondering_how_to/

Some people in the comment aren't sure about the OP info though (I'll never understand how reddit threads work)

Is there a definitive screenshot on how to arrange upgrades? Especially ship upgrades?
Thanks

If you read through the comments (hard to do on Reddit sometimes) people tested out configurations with the bolt caster clip mod and concluded order and config doesn't matter unless you can put it in a square 2x2 config, which gives a small boost of a few percent. Someone else tested hyperdrive configs and a t config gave a 1 percent boost. For me that is too small to reconfigure my current ship or spend a ton of time trying to work out, but if I ever switch ships it wouldn't hurt to do it.

Durden77

What the hell does the ping scan even do? At first it used ti show certain elements nearby but now it shows nothing.

Well it just showed me some that were in cargo boxes. I dunno.

What the hell does the ping scan even do? At first it used ti show certain elements nearby but now it shows nothing.

On the ground it will show you nearby resources/Knowledge stones, but if you don't have it upgraded at all and you're on a barren planet, there's a chance you're just not in range of any resources (or you already collected them). Once you have the Lvl 1 or 2 upgrade, it's basically impossible to do a scan on land and not have it ping something.

If you're in your ship, it shows points of interest (?) while you're in atmo (and harvestable resources if you're close enough), or if you're in space a single building on a random planet in the system (usually an Abandoned Building, Trading Post or Transmission Tower).

Ugh. I found a 48-slot ship over the weekend and snagged it. Now I'm regretting not waiting to find one that I love. I assume I have to downgrade to a 47 then find a new 48er, right? It makes me feel a tad ill since I began upgrading the thing already.

Crashed ships will still have a chance to be 48 slots. I don't know about random space station ships.

Nope, just farm they will be 47 or 48. I like to chill in the space station to see if anything I like pops up.

How long does it usually take before you can upgrade your inventory (either the ship or personal inventory)?

I'm about 5 hours in the game and haven't seemed to have run across any blueprints (that I've noticed) or items like that, and the only ships I've looked at are WAY more expensive than what I have.

I have about 100K in money and the cheapest ship I've seen was 500K.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've read this:

If it's sending you to someplace you've been, have you used the save point marker at the location? I make sure I "activate" and catalog the location so that it doesn't get pinged again. That usually helped. I do think one time it directed me to a previous location, but it's possible I didn't save at the save point there. It hasn't happened again.

How long does it usually take before you can upgrade your inventory (either the ship or personal inventory)?

I'm about 5 hours in the game and haven't seemed to have run across any blueprints (that I've noticed) or items like that, and the only ships I've looked at are WAY more expensive than what I have.

To be honest, I'm not too sure, but I'd advise focusing on upgrading one at a time to start. My suit was the easiest thing to upgrade (finding drop pods by selecting "Shelter" from the beacons emitting orange light), and I'd just grind rare resources to make sure that I have enough to afford the upgrade (first upgrade is free, I believe, second upgrade is 10,000, and each upgrade after that adds 10,000 to the cost, ie, second upgrade 20,000, third 30,000, etc, etc). Secondly, Atlas Pass V1 opens up the door in the space station and it contains a suit upgrade pod as well. The first thing I'd do when I entered a new section is stop by the space station, offload any goods at the market, then open that door and buy a suit upgrade. By the time I got to 48 slots, I had amassed quite a bit of chump change (over 1 million, simply from farming and selling resources like Aquaspheres, Gravatino Balls, and resources like Gold, although Plutonium is plentiful, and can net you some nice profit if you're in a pinch). Once my suit was upgraded, I started looking for a better multitool (I settled on one with 20 slots, but will upgrade again eventually; my current configuration of upgrades is making mining and combat a cinch). After the multitool, I finally settled on a ship with about 25 slots, which I purchased for 1.7 million. I'm doing a few other things first, but I'll soon be purchasing a ship with more slots (probably after I save up about 5 or 6 million units), and then I'm farming "Transmissions" from the signal beacons to find a ship with 40+ slots. It can be overwhelming trying to upgrade all three at once, so Suit > Tool > Ship worked out best for me so far.

TheMan

Maxed everything out. Got a 48 slot ship with a design I love and added a bunch of upgrades strategically placed for bonuses. I still need to redo my multi-tool to max out the bonuses, but it's pretty good as is. Now to finish off the Atlas path. Or become a space pirate. Or start hunting Sentinels like a crazed, robot hating Rambo.

How did you make credits to afford this?

You should find Drop Pods that expand the exosuit inventory often enough. I had a string where I found 3 in a row just cruising around on a planet. You should also come across crashed ships that often have larger storage than your ship.

You can do it right from the get-go. Have you found any transmission towers yet? You use a bypass chip on them and you can search for monoliths, shelters, transmissions, etc. If you search for Transmission and uncover a Transmission Tower, that will lead to a new ship. If you search for Shelter and uncover a Drop Pod, that will lead to an exosuit upgrade. I'd prioritize the exosuit to start; the first upgrade is free and then every subsequent upgrade is $10,000 more than the previous. Just keep using the transmission tower to scan for Shelter and find a bunch of Drop Pods.

You really don't need to worry about upgrading your ship early on. Focus on jumping around and exploring; eventually you'll stumble across a system with easily harvestable super-expensive items (Sac Venom, Vortex Cubes, Gravitino Balls, stuff that sells for $25,000+). Once you can start farming expensive resources, you can make money very quickly. Before that, buying a ship is prohibitively expensive. You can upgrade via crashed ships found with transmission towers, but they're always badly damaged and in need of repairs and it's often only a single slot or two upgrade; really slow to upgrade to a significantly large ship as compared to farming expensive resources and buying a ship that's 25+ slots (too much beyond that and ships get so expensive that scavenging crash sites is the only real way to increase slots).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Another resource management thing I do is this:

In my Exosuit, I always make sure I have 250 Plutonium, Thadmium, Iron, and Carbon on me at all times. Those are pretty much the essential resources you'll need on foot, and can be used to craft things that will repair your shield, weapon, and multitool. Sure, you can carry more, but I try to keep as many free slots open as I can for items/resources that I can sell for lots of money (I made about 500k from a single run of Aquaspheres because I was carrying 20+ of them in my suit inventory.

For my ship, I hold 500 Plutonium, Thadmium, Iron, and Carbon at all times. Mainly for crafting shields and recharging my thrusters, cannons, and pulse drive. The rest of the cargo space is for rare resources of course. Or things I want to teleport off my person in a hurry (like Aquaspheres or Gravatino Balls, etc, etc).

Unless I'm saving up resources specifically for crafting (I had 1,000 Aluminum on me, for example, so I could craft a new hyperdrive), I try to keep as many slots free as possible for potential items/resources that are worth something to me. I've been doing that roughly since Day 1, and it's helped me a lot, and I've been making good money from my exploring.

0racle

just got to the center.

the disappointment just keeps on coming.

I am glad I spoiled it for myself. I can wrap up the trophies and put the game on the shelf.

I would kick myself in the nuts if I played for hours on end for that ending.

Top Bottom