• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

SeanR1221

This game is so fucking repetitive. On my third system and I just can't be bothered to continue. 5/10 is an accurate score.

That's the sense I'm getting from reviews and videos. I'll stick with Overwatch for now and grab this for 30.00 on Black Friday as a novelty

Seventy70

How is "the expectations were just absurd" even an argument? Couldn't you dismiss any review for any game with that statement? I could say, "Superman 64 is a great game! You just have to have the right expectations!". It doesn't matter what the expectations were. What matters is if the people are having fun playing it. It seems a lot of the complaints are about what it is rather than what it isn't.

Remember Dragon Age: Inquisition? It got a lot of media attention and great scores across the board but boy did I find that game boring and repetitive. Seems the situation has switched around this time.

Ultima_5

sucks that it came out that way, but i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it was from people's self inflated expectations. i always assumed it was going to be similar to spore. something fun to dick around with for a few hours then stop. autogenerated stuff isn't fun.

Kraftwerk

Totalbuiscuit is saying on his stream the game is unplayable on PC.I just got to his stream so didn't actually see gameplay. he says he is gonna stop. Dude is infuriated.

SpecX

I'm satisfied. This is one of the few games I didn't let reviews dictate my purchase decision and I'm very happy with what I got. I agree with the verbiage in the reviews, but so far this game has been a solid 8/10 for me even with the repetition and bugs it has. Future patches will only further increase the experience as long as it doesn't degrade the games performance.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I have the game, haven't even opened it yet, but those review scores are mixed to say the least. And the impressions are...less than flattering. Disappointing - I'm probably going to be glad I got this one discounted :/

mokeyjoe

I'm satisfied. This is one of the few games I didn't let reviews dictate my purchase decision and I'm very happy with what I got. I agree with the verbiage in the reviews, but so far this game has been a solid 8/10 for me even with the repetition and bugs it has. Future patches will only further increase the experience as long as it doesn't degrade the games performance.

I agree - 8/10 for me.

Looking forward to updates but despite some flaws it's had me hooked for 4 days now. I much prefer this to Minecraft or Elite.

Syder

the expectations were absurd because the statements were absurd. the expectations were created by Sean, so I have no sympathy. Sean is not a victim here.
This. We can't give Hello Games and free pass because they're a 'small team'. Not many small teams get put on the world stage of E3 three years in a row.

Abounder

Banned
PC release looks like a shitshow, no wonder they didn't send review codes. Anyway review average seems about right, NMS looks less fun than say its 2D counterpart in Starbound (which is significantly cheaper fwiw)

T.O.P

Banned
This. We can't give Hello Games and free pass because they're a 'small team'. Not many small teams get put on the world stage of E3 three years in a row.

From the PC thread

CprV1A_WgAArSKi.jpg:large

mokeyjoe

Apart from some bugs and performance issues I don't feel the need to give them a 'free pass'. They've released a game that's better and certainly more ambitious than many huge studios do. Some people don't like it, but then some people don't like lots of games. I'm never going to play Overwatch for instance, but apparently some people like it.

brau

He said it was Arkham Knight levels of bad.

Just from watching the stream it was that bad. He didn't fall through the level floor if that is any saving grace. But yea... really bad performance on his 1080 rig. no AA either and running at native 1080.

RedRumy3

I'm getting around 100 fps @ 2560x1440 all max settings and 100 FOV.

I notice some pops in from textures but it's not too much if it was anything like how rage was I would of been upset.

This game does not like to alt tab that's for sure sometimes it doesn't come back up for me and I have to close it and reopen it.

No Man's Sky struggles to resolve one central contradiction. The game was built to be infinite, and in practical terms it is. It's an endless, edgeless field possibilities. And yet it needs an endpoint, or at least a set of waypoints, to give purpose to your journey - to give you somewhere to be headed. This isn't just a matter of meeting gaming convention. No Man's Sky is brilliant - perhaps peerless - at evoking the classic science-fiction voyage into the stars. The further you go, the faster you travel, the more you learn and the more you see; never look back, because everything left behind is gone forever, while nothing ahead has been seen before. But to fully answer this seeking impulse, the game first has to give you a destination that means something to you - and that is something it only haltingly manages to do.

With much of the No Man's Sky's structure having apparently been added in the final month of development, that's not so surprising. (The patch notes are eye-opening; mere weeks ago, this was half the game it is now.) There is tremendous room for it to grow and improve. As it stands, it's flawed but completely intoxicating, a unique work of engineering art to lose yourself in. Sean Murray and his team at Hello Games set out with one goal: to create a game that is science fiction. Mission accomplished.

Eurogamer review sums it up nicely for me.

I'd also give it an 8/10.

A 7 is a perfectly accurate score for this game. It is in no way a horrible game. I strongly believe that, all things considered, they made the best game they possibly could have made.

207K steam players so an estimated £8.2m in revenue.

Hello Game are printing money.

Friday during work hours so total Steam sales should be drastically higher (and that's not counting PSN sales at all). For such a small dev team, this has gotta be one of the biggest sales successes ever. Will be interesting to see if they expand their team size and if so by how much.

i agree with this. people were saying this was the game they would play forever.

big problem was no one clearly knew what the game was about. was all hype and very little substance, kind of like suicide squad.

The irony is that the game is exactly what they showed (other than the meeting other players bit), but rather than say "this is the game you're going to get" they were pretty vague about whether there was more to it. And there is a bit more, but not much, to what they showed. People let their imaginations run wild.

SomTervo

His opinion is fair enough, but I can't believe Jim wrote "Like Spore before it".

I've played both games and this is like comparing two slices of white bread with a tasty, albeit flawed, burrito.

No Man's Sky is a 16/20 from me.

This is the perfect example of gamer expectation being completely dominated by their own imaginations.

The game was never going to meet that unreasonable level of expectation.

It's getting mixed reviews precisely because it is a divisive game. Shawn himself said as much. It is NOT a game for everyone.

iNvid02

its been fascinating to watch this game's journey from reveal to launch but i think this is where i get off the train.

Hale-XF11

Well, hopefully it ends up in the bargain bin sooner rather than later. It's def not a $60 game by the looks of it.

Top Bottom