• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise |OT| of touching down in HD

7WmHv.jpg

So what is No More Heroes? Originally is was this 3rd party wii game that alot of us played via the original thread

Now in 2011 it's back as HD upport/remake with extras

Genre: Action
Publisher: Konami
Developer/Co-Developer: Feel Plus / Grasshopper Manufacture
MSRP: $39.99

supports Playstation MOVE and DualShock 3 controls (sixaxis unsupported : / )

M for Mature: Blood and Gore, Crude Humor, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Strong Language

synopsis:

sjKON.jpg

Anime geek & wrestling aficionado Travis Touchdown wins a Beam Katana via web auction and starts a new career as a professional killer. There's only one way to the top ranks of the underground world of paid assassins and it's going to get messy. Lucky for Travis Touchdown, he just knocked off the world's eleventh best without breaking a sweat. The life of fame and fortune couldn't be closer. Heads will roll and names will be taken, but everything is not what it seems. It all started after Travis was assigned to take on the drifter known as Helter Skelter, the United Assassin Association’s 11th ranked assassin.

spfKs.jpg

After a grueling battle, Travis emerged the winner, collected the spoils of battle and claimed his title as the new 11th ranked assassin. However, the situation turns out to be more complicated than Travis first thought. It is after the mysterious beauty, Sylvia Christel (the saucy number above), appears that the real adventure begins...

ez6PI.jpg

(yeah that's how you recharge that beam katana!)

Additions to Heroes' Paradise via Wikipedia:

Trophies

An unlockable "Very Sweet" Mode, which depicts Sylvia Christel, Shinobu, Holly Summers, Bad Girl and Jeane wearing more "appealing" attire.

Ability to stock up to three Dark Side mode charges, rather than having it activate immediately, like in the original.

Unused Dark Side mode charges left over in the player's stock at the end of a Ranking Battle rewards Travis Touchdown with additional LB dollars (as was the case with unused Anarchy in the Galaxy stocks in the original version).

The song, "Heavenly Star", by the Genki Rockets was removed. (nooooo : ( )

Ability to warp straight to any Side-Job or Assassin Mission once the player has beaten any of them at least once.

A retry option was added to the Side-Jobs, Assassin Missions, and Free Fights. However, it only appears when the player has failed in either.

Five new Side-Jobs were added: Signaling, Sign Spinning, Kitty Race, Bust A Coconut and People Bowling.

Five new Assassin Missions were added; Guard Break, Power-Down Battle, Big Bang Anarchy, Shortcake Freaks and Crowded Train Carnage.

Five extra bosses from No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle are available to fight at certain points in the game. These are Skelter Helter, Nathan Copeland, Kimmy Howell, Matt Helms and Alice Twilight.

Players are now able to revisit Ranking Fights and cinematics from Travis' motel room armchair, in the form of nightmares and dreams.

A "Score Attack" mode has been added that lets the player refight all 15 of the game's bosses and compete for a high score online. This is also the only way for players to refight all of the NMH2 extras as they don't appear in nightmare mode.

Also a character viewer that's very NSFW!

reviews:

Eurogamer ~ 8/10

IGN ~ 7.5/10

Game Informer ~ 7.75/10

aOI7g.png

Produce

Tallshortman said:
Is this game worth playing with DS3? I want to pick it up but I'm not willing to get a Move bundle.

Totally. I've finished the game several times with the DS3 quite easily.

2Crisis

I'm actually looking forward to this. I never played either of the NMH since I never picked up a wii, but at $30-40 I think I'll pick this up.

Magnus

Sweet, my Move controllers have been missing me! Haven't had the pleasure of NMH on the Wii, so this'll be awesome!

Edit-

So, to my understanding, there were three versions of NMH.

1. The original on Wii.

2. The Japanese PS3 version (HD, Move, some extras)

3. And this North American version with yet more extras (a la Square's International versions) that will also be released in Japan as an extra special Int'l version. (called...Red Zone?)

Is this correct?

If anyone feels there's something I should include then let me know. Also I ask and hope that hose that have played this before be very mindful of spoilers and tag them accordingly.

playing this on a dualshock. Sacrilege I know but I don't have a move.

Oh well, very excited. These are the only suda games I haven't beaten yet.

Shurs

I appreciate the restraint shown in making this OT.

Ordered this off of Amazon for $10 due to a $20 game credit I had lying around.

jackdoe

Urban Scholar said:
If anyone feels there's something I should include then let me know. Also I ask and hope that hose that have played this before be very mindful of spoilers and tag them accordingly.
You should also copy and paste the ESRB description as that seems to confirm that it will have the stuff included in Red Zone. Spoiler tagged of course.

jackdoe said:
You should also copy and paste the ESRB description as that seems to confirm that it will have the stuff included in Red Zone. Spoiler tagged of course.

hmm I have the rating up there but I choose not to include that extra info though. I know folks are too curious

jackdoe

Urban Scholar said:
hmm I have the rating up there but I choose not to include that extra info though. I know folks are too curious
True. But it does seem to confirm the character viewer will be in it, and if that makes it in, I'm sure everything that was in the Red Zone edition is in it as well.

jackdoe said:
True. But it does seem to confirm the character viewer will be in it, and if that makes it in, I'm sure everything that was in the Red Zone edition is in it as well.

I added a little blurb about the viewer so at least people know it's NSFW

Giolon

Magnus said:
Sweet, my Move controllers have been missing me! Haven't had the pleasure of NMH on the Wii, so this'll be awesome!

Edit-

So, to my understanding, there were three versions of NMH.

1. The original on Wii.

2. The Japanese PS3 version (HD, Move, some extras)

3. And this North American version with yet more extras (a la Square's International versions) that will also be released in Japan as an extra special Int'l version. (called...Red Zone?)

Is this correct?
Not quite:

1. Original No More Heroes (Wii, JPN version censored I believe)
  2. JPN No More Heroes: Heroes' Pardise - (PS3 Censored / Xbox 360 Uncensored, Very Sweet Mode)
  3. JPN No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition - US/EU No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (Uncensored, extra content, Move support, performance improvements over previous PS3 release)

Anyway, I am definitely picking this up I already own the Wii and previous JPN PS3 versions. (True story, I happened to be in Japan at the time of the PS3/360 release and I wanted the pre-order bonuses (semi-NSFW link), so I ordered both kept the pre-order bonuses and sent the 360 one back to Amazon for a refund b/c it's region locked).

I'm debating whether or not it's worth the extra $$$ to pick up a Move controller. The game really is more fun with waggle (Wii vs. original PS3 edition)

TGMIII

I'd just like to say the game is perfectly playable with the DS3, I platinumed it using a DS3. The character viewer and weapon/bike skins are DLC.

One thing to note for the OP : the co-developers for the US version is not feel plus but AQ Interactive.

Feel plus co-developed the first HD version (and it was a disaster).

Anyway...I've platinum'd both versions on PS3, the feel plus one and the AQ Interactive one.
Took 50 hours total.

InternHertz said:
One thing to note for the OP : the co-developers for the US version is not feel plus but AQ Interactive.

Anyway...I've platinum'd both versions on PS3, the feel plus one and the AQ Interactive one.
Took 50 hours total.

updated, thanks

GrayFoxPL

Discotheque said:
playing this on a dualshock. Sacrilege I know but I don't have a move.

Oh well, very excited. These are the only suda games I haven't beaten yet.

Man, please answer me this: Is there an option to turn off ds3 motion sensor for lightsaber charging and minigames?

I'm asking this all over the web and nothing. I only found out that in first japanese version you can't.

Alrus

InternHertz said:

Took 50 hours total.

Feel plus is part of AQ. AQ merged all their studio (Feelplus, Cavia, Artoon) into the company.

...No Heavenly Star? Hearing that song in this game got me into Genki Rockets, I'm really glad I got the Wii version now. XD

It saddens me a bit to know that the PS3 adopters out there will have their ears assaulted by inferior fare when they do their clothes shopping. :(

No Heavenly Star?

Wii version on Dolphin as definitive version confirmed. :(

Maybe I'll pick this up down the line if I ever get a Move. I really have no interest in playing NMH with pad controls, I didn't even try NMH2 with my CCPro.

GrayFoxPL said:
Man, please answer me this: Is there an option to turn off ds3 motion sensor for lightsaber charging and minigames?

I'm asking this all over the web and nothing. I only found out that in first japanese version you can't.

Oh shit my bad mate. I worded that wrong. It mean when I get it I'm gonna be playing it on dualshock.

There's somebody else in this thread who has played it on a controller though.

Barrow Roll said:
Maybe I'll pick this up down the line if I ever get a Move. I really have no interest in playing NMH with pad controls, I didn't even try NMH2 with my CCPro.

I honestly forgot you could even play NMH2 with CCPro until just now when you said that.

Seriously. Motion control is the way to go on this game, whether it's Wii or PS3.

Magnus

Giolon said:
Not quite:

1. Original No More Heroes (Wii, JPN version censored I believe)
  2. JPN No More Heroes: Heroes' Pardise - (PS3 Censored / Xbox 360 Uncensored, Very Sweet Mode)
  3. JPN No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition - US/EU No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise (Uncensored, extra content, Move support, performance improvements over previous PS3 release)

Anyway, I am definitely picking this up I already own the Wii and previous JPN PS3 versions. (True story, I happened to be in Japan at the time of the PS3/360 release and I wanted the pre-order bonuses (semi-NSFW link), so I ordered both kept the pre-order bonuses and sent the 360 one back to Amazon for a refund b/c it's region locked).

I'm debating whether or not it's worth the extra $$$ to pick up a Move controller. The game really is more fun with waggle (Wii vs. original PS3 edition)

Thanks for the clarification, and DAMN, that's fucking awesome; North America's getting the best version of the game? Amazing.

InfiniDragon said:
I honestly forgot you could even play NMH2 with CCPro until just now when you said that.

Seriously. Motion control is the way to go on this game, whether it's Wii or PS3.
Totally.

The flick you do to finish off enemies is one of the most satisfying killing moves in all of gaming.

Huh, I thought this was out for a long time already. I coincidentally downloaded and played the demo yesterday, on the Dualshock 3.

I'm just sad I can't hold the controller up to my ear to hear phone calls anymore. :( Also, I noticed a bit of screen tearing, which annoyed me. But I liked the demo otherwise.

GrayFoxPL

Discotheque said:
Oh shit my bad mate. I worded that wrong. It mean when I get it I'm gonna be playing it on dualshock.

There's somebody else in this thread who has played it on a controller though.

It's ok.

Can anyone help me with this?

It's a matter of game and no game.

dreamfall

I was pleasantly surprised that a Bestbuy had this on shelves today. Strolled in and picked it up! I've been playing it with a Dualshock and absolutely love it- the satisfaction of clicking R3 and swiping the stick in a specific direction to eviscerate an enemy into jingling coins is unmatched. It is a bit awkward to grab an enemy for a wrestling move on the controller though (like there's a slight delay or something...) but it's been a blast.

As far as turning off motion control for charging up the kitana, I did not see the option for it- but in fairness, I played for about an hour or so before leaving. I can check later tonight, but I turned off the Move through an in game menu to switch to Dualshock mid game.

I was going to ask about the extra content though- will that character viewer be DLC? That seemed to be quite controversial when announced...

dreamfall said:
I was pleasantly surprised that a Bestbuy had this on shelves today. Strolled in and picked it up! I've been playing it with a Dualshock and absolutely love it- the satisfaction of clicking R3 and swiping the stick in a specific direction to eviscerate an enemy into jingling coins is unmatched.

Hello, Bizarro-me. I was considering double-dipping on this game... I have it for Wii, but I never beat it and I hated the waggle (I did soldier through NMH2 though, much better game). I thought maybe I'd prefer using a controller and finally get around to beating it, but for me this is even worse. Pressing R3 and a random direction wore out its welcome after the 10th enemy in the demo. I can't imagine how tedious it would get in the full game. I don't understand the point of having a QTE after every kill. God, it annoys me just thinking about it.

It would be more tolerable if I had a Move... I'd probably get through it for the trophies. I'd definitely replay NMH2 that way if I could. But as it stands, with a controller, the demo for this game just sucked.

Even the graphics are off-putting with their more realistic look.

I love Suda-51 work. I already own the original, and sequel, on the Wii. Seem like I have something to pass me over until Summer Jam in 2 weeks.

No More Heroes... now with TROPHIES!

Where is the famous save photo at?

Top Bottom