• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise |OT| of touching down in HD

I have a question for people who have played both the original game and this new version. I noticed in the demo for Heroes' Paradise that I could deflect bullets back at enemies by locking on to auto-block right before the bullet hit me. Was this added to Heroes' Paradise, or did I just totally miss it in the Wii original?

Alrus said:
Feel plus is part of AQ. AQ merged all their studio (Feelplus, Cavia, Artoon) into the company.
Ok, didn't know, thanks :)
I only said that because their logo's on the title screen, as opposed to the first version where it was feel plus'.

Shadow780 said:
Japanese voice?

The first version had Japanese voices, but when AQ Interactive redid NMH into the current version, they took down the Japanese voices even in the Japanese release.

graywolf323

my copy shipped from Best Buy :)

ordered it last week during the B1G1 1/2 off since for some reason they were treating it like it was already released so I got it and Halo Reach (which they decided to make Halo Reach the $20 game)

they adjusted NMH down to $30 when it shipped so I just got it and Halo Reach for only $50 :-D

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
nckillthegrimace said:
I have a question for people who have played both the original game and this new version. I noticed in the demo for Heroes' Paradise that I could deflect bullets back at enemies by locking on to auto-block right before the bullet hit me. Was this added to Heroes' Paradise, or did I just totally miss it in the Wii original?
It's new.

raebodep

Did they fix the screen tearing in the full release? The screen tearing was some of the worst i've ever seen in the demo. I'm hoping it was just an old build.

M-PG71C

I've never played the Wii games, and I own a fuck ton of Wii games too. Of course, it doesn't help that I didn't pick it up when I heard a HD remake was headed out.

I'll be picking up, that's for sure. No excuses now.

Rehynn

ThisWreckage said:
It's simply too expensive. Even at 40. It's a game that is at least a couple of years old.

It's simply one of the best and most unique gaming experiences I've had this gen. Not that big a deal in terms of gameplay mechanics, but as a whole it's got insane charm.
Worth every penny.

Bah, got an email from Amazon saying they've received a new release date from the publisher (low stock?), and that it's estimated to arrive on the 31st. -_-
First time Amazon has failed me. I'm guessing its because of the $40 of credit i used towards this. Blah.

Shurs

Revolutionary said:
Bah, got an email from Amazon saying they've received a new release date from the publisher (low stock?), and that it's estimated to arrive on the 31st. -_-
First time Amazon has failed me. I'm guessing its because of the $40 of credit i used towards this. Blah.

Hmm, I also ordered from Amazon (using credit, too) and I have yet to receive such an email; though I'm sure it's coming.

That's too bad. Then again, my estimated delivery date was the same day that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is coming out, so I was only going to be playing NMH sporadically, anyway.

hank_tree

raebodep said:
Did they fix the screen tearing in the full release? The screen tearing was some of the worst i've ever seen in the demo. I'm hoping it was just an old build.

I got the EU version and the screen tearing is still present in that. So I'm sure it'll be in the NA release too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just got an email from Amazon saying that my copy has been shipped out. Got $10 credit for pre-ordering, too.

Erdrick

So what the heck? I've played through NMH on the Wii at least 3 times over and for whatever reason, after the opening scene and you go to the job place after the limo scene, aren't they supposed to give you a job list or something? All I'm getting is them saying I don't have some letter of introduction instead. I only have the 3 locations to go to. K Entertainment, The Hotel and the ATM. I'm probably just missing something but I forget... Maybe I forgot to talk to someone or something?

Also yeah, they replaced Heavenly Star with a song used in NMH2, at least in the limo scene.

Edit: Ah yeah, the Job Centre. I thought that and K Ent. were one and the same. There we go. Off to grinding for cash.

Hiltz

Erdrick said:
So what the heck? I've played through NMH on the Wii at least 3 times over and for whatever reason, after the opening scene and you go to the job place after the limo scene, aren't they supposed to give you a job list or something? All I'm getting is them saying I don't have some letter of introduction instead. I only have the 3 locations to go to. K Entertainment, The Hotel and the ATM. I'm probably just missing something but I forget... Maybe I forgot to talk to someone or something?

Also yeah, they replaced Heavenly Star with a song used in NMH2, at least in the limo scene.

After the limo cutscene, go to the K Entertainment building and talk to the female npc character at the front desk. Then walk outside and the job listing will become available.Get on your motorcycle and drive on over to the job center building by looking at the map.

Revolutionary said:

I got an e-mail from Amazon as well. It is really frustrating as I ordered the game the moment it was available in May and now I need to wait a few more weeks? Bullshit. Yet funny enough the game is listed as "In Stock." at Amazon. Whatever.

I was on the fence about this because I don't own move, but I replayed the demo the other day with my DS3 and enjoyed it. It's not nearly as fun without motion controls, but I love this game and I haven't played it since I owned a Wii which was several years ago.

Anyway, I just bought it. I'd like to get that House of the Dead: Overkill, so I may get a move set around that time. Plus I have that Dead Space Move game that came with DS2 which gives me a few reasons to own move.

Dead to Rights said:
I got an e-mail from Amazon as well. It is really frustrating as I ordered the game the moment it was available in May and now I need to wait a few more weeks? Bullshit. Yet funny enough the game is listed as "In Stock." at Amazon. Whatever.

I was just curious as to if they shipped yours. I placed an order afterwards and mine is already scheduled to be delivered today (<3 Amazon Prime).

So I have a playstation eye already from back when I found an "Eye of Judgement" bundle at Walmart for $19. Since all I need is the Playstation Move controller (right?), does it improve the game THAT much for those who have played it yesterday or am I good with a DS3?

Shurs

Dead to Rights said:

I got an email from Amazon this morning saying my order has shipped.

I ordered the game on Sunday, after the price drop.

Sorry, dude.

MjFrancis

This has been the only game that has pulled me from Bayonetta for the past month, though I'm not quite sure why. I played the first No More Heroes back when it came out, and I'm remembering what I liked and what I hated about it with this playthrough. So far I've just put in an hour and here's my preliminary impressions for the port:

+ The button mapping is more challenging than the Wii waggle. Mapping high/low strike and high/low bash to four separate buttons makes things more difficult. It may be more clumsy, but I require more time to figure it out.
+ HD upscaling looks marginally better. Much more vibrant.
+ Shaking the Dualshock is an adequate substitute for previous sword recharge button.

- Job minigames still suck, grabbing coconuts is just "mash O" then "mash X" for three minutes. NES games had more depth than this. All of them.
- Motorcycle can be touchy, most of the time I'm jumping my bike within a second of pressing R2 to drive. I crashed in the motel parking lot. I'm probably just missing something here.
- Santa Destroy is as boring and desolate as ever. NMH2 was right to get rid of this supposed introspective commentary on open world video games. Pseudo-art nonsense.
- Enemy AI is as dull as ever. Even the first boss had like, three attack patterns with a seemingly bottomless life bar.
- The demo had like, five different difficulty levels available while the retail copy stuck me with two. What. The. Fuck?

Basically, NMH: Heroes' Paradise strikes me as a prime parallel to MMA's Dan Hardy: an attractive punk rock demeanor attached to an overrated legacy. All bark, no bite. I'll be playing it on aesthetic appeal alone, switching back and forth from Bayonetta when I want to engage in something more substantive.

I hope I'll be more engaged when the bosses become more difficult. Truth be told, I wasn't expecting the combat to be any more engaging with a Dualshock - I don't know how applicable this is to the Move controls.

Jintor

Move controller keeps it just like with the Wii controller - you're waving your hands around and cackling with glee because it feels so much more physical, ya know?

Shurs said:
Hmm, I also ordered from Amazon (using credit, too) and I have yet to receive such an email; though I'm sure it's coming.

That's too bad. Then again, my estimated delivery date was the same day that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is coming out, so I was only going to be playing NMH sporadically, anyway.
Dead to Rights said:
Yeah I don't know what happened but UPS just delivered it. Didn't get a shipped email or anything. Weird.

I was kinda hoping they would send it later, though, because I'm trying to play through Deus Ex before Human Revolution hits and having NMH in the house is going to make it harder for me. :(

Bankoiia

Jintor said:
Move controller keeps it just like with the Wii controller - you're waving your hands around and cackling with glee because it feels so much more physical, ya know?
Except for wrestling moves, which feels a bit off without the nunchuck.

No biggie, though.

Impressions post first boss battle with MOVE controls.

Preface this is the first time I've actually used PlayStation MOVE. At first you'll be prompted to calibrate the motion controller on screen.

Playing with move is the optimal way and highly recommend as per my experience with the original game/ second game.

The controls are responsive and there are a few differences to note.

Wrestling moves are prompted with the Motion controller only. It still works and feels the same way as the Wii mote/ nunchuck combo.

The navi controller is only used to move Travis, target foes, block, and look around.

The motion controller is what you'll be moving for stances, charging your katana (still fun!), looking around, controlling your bike and etc.

Now oddly enough manual rolling is not mapped on the navigation controller's d-pad. You have to move the motion controller slightly in the direction you want to roll. This took some time to get used to.

When Slyvia calls you on the phone your Motion controller vibrates as if a cell phone would. Still hearing her voice through the speakers is different from the Wii version.

Of course it goes without saying that flicking the remote for finishers is still satisfying.

Urban Scholar said:
The navi controller is only used to move Travis, target foes, block, and look around.

Thanks for the impressions! Real quick, dumb question, but do you need the navigation controller to play this if youre using a Move? Otherwise how do you move Travis and all that other stuff?

Giolon

TheApatheticOne said:
Thanks for the impressions! Real quick, dumb question, but do you need the navigation controller to play this if youre using a Move? Otherwise how do you move Travis and all that other stuff?

A regular PS3 controller in your other hand.

TheApatheticOne said:

A dual shock 3 can substitute for one. So I would imagine using the analog stick

Is there really much lost by not playing this game with a remote of some kind? I couldn't stomach the Wii version (at the time), but I find myself wanting to give it another shot.

Jintor

Jimmy Stav said:
Is there really much lost by not playing this game with a remote of some kind? I couldn't stomach the Wii version (at the time), but I find myself wanting to give it another shot.

Eh... I think the combat would be a lot more tedious without the motion controller (and it can get pretty tedious with it)

I initially played through on Bitter before my PS3 bricked itself halfway through, I'm gonna drop to Sweet and just do the story. I don't enjoy the gameplay quite enough to power my way through more NMH.

DeVeAn

Beat 2 bosses with the move and yea don't know what it is but it's missing something. I loved the Wii version and this one has horrible frame drops and screen tearing is still present. Also the move has the most horrible pointer on the planet so luckily you don't need it here. Although there goes my hope for overkill remake ugh.

Gonna play some more but as of now the only true benefit is the HD bump otherwise the Wii game is the one and only. Will come back with more impressions.

DeVeAn

Played a good chunk more and my biggest complaint is the only is the poor performance tech wise.

Quick pros and cons:
+HD graphics
+Boss fights from part 2
+Move emulates Wiimote
+Able to retry missions without going back

-framerate drops and screen tearing
-music cuts out and in in overworld
-dodging remapped to move waggle

Cheska

I'm a horrible gamer who hasn't played this because I hate my Wii. Planning on rebuying it on my sleek PS tripple. Around how long is the average playthrough?

HD graphics for it are real nice :D

Top Bottom