• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody Wants to Die | Review Thread

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Jr7YSuK.jpeg

Game Information

Game Title: Nobody Wants to Die
Developer: Critical Hit Games
Publisher: PLAION
Release Date: 17 July 2024
Platforms: PlayStation 5 | Xbox Series | PC via Steam
Genre: Detective, Dystopian, Noir, Thriller
Standard Edition - $24.99 USD | €24,99 | £19.99

Trailer:

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 average - 75% recommended

ReqoaT7.png

Metacritic - 78 based on 4 Critic Reviews

7ZmEK3S.png

Critic Reviews

MeuPlayStation - 8.5 / 10
A beautiful homage to modern sci-fi, Nobody Wants to Die is a narrative thriller that deserves a standing ovation. With a strong narrative, high level of immersion and absurd visuals, the title is made by those who understand cinema, games and dystopia very well.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.1 / 10
Nobody Wants to Die impresses with a very detailed and atmospheric neo-noir look that shows a dystopian New York of the future. Equipped with all kinds of gadgets, it has never been so appealing to be on the trail of a serial killer. Unfortunately, the gameplay stagnates somewhat, as you have to carry out the same steps over and over again, always looking for the next prompt. But those who are not put off by this will be very well entertained for a few hours.

Chicas Gamers - Juanma Luengo - Spanish - 6 / 10
A visually groundbreaking narrative adventure, but with gameplay that is too basic and not very varied

IGN Spain - Rafa Del Río - Spanish - 8 / 10
Critical Hit surprises with a modern graphic adventure in which the setting and its visual work serve as a backdrop to a discourse that invites the player to debate.

MonsterVine - Nick Mangiaracina - 4 / 5
A thought-provoking experience that had me questioning the reality Karra was living in throughout most of the game, Nobody Wants to Die is a must for mystery, adventure, and noir fans.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 8 / 10
Nobody Wants To Die was the game I didn't realize I needed to play this year until I played it. A fantastic narrative experience set in one of the most harrowing worlds. Though its gameplay is by the books, it didn't keep me from being thoroughly entertained from start to finish. For those looking for a cyberpunk murder mystery, you don't need to look further than Nobody Wants To Die.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 7.5 / 10
Nobody Wants To Die is a strong detective thriller that does great work in immersing players in its dystopic-as-ever vision of near-future New York. While the gameplay loop is ambitious, a lacking protagonist and a gameplay concept that spreads itself too thin ultimately keeps Nobody Wants To Die from realising the full extent of it's potential. Regardless, it's an incredible-looking, amazingly atmospheric debut from a studio whom I can't wait to see more from.

Push Square - John Cal McCormick - 8 / 10
Nobody Wants To Die is a thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi detective thriller. The gameplay during investigations can feel a little perfunctory, but the narrative unfolds at a brisk pace, and the developer makes smart use of visual trickery to convince you that the game is much bigger than it actually is, presenting you with unforgettable future cityscapes that are perpetually out of reach. It's all an illusion, but a beautiful one.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 9.5 / 10
Nobody Wants to Die is an incredible experience. Engaging detective gameplay, an incredible soundtrack, and a fascinating noir-yarn come together to create one of my favorite games in a long time.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So there's three different endings depending on choices you make throughout the adventure. At 5-6 hours and for the price and presentation that's pretty bangin.

Id replay it just to stare at it anyway.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Hmm, I see quite a few big game publications from Japan covering this game, while from big Western ones, there's Dexerto, and that's about it (at least from what I looked on Twitter).

There is however quite a bit of coverage from smaller European and Brazilian gaming outlets.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah, I don't know where this came from but it is highly compelling. Just beat Witcher 3 (amazing) and looking to transition to the next game.

Flabagast

Push Square review : 8/10
Nobody Wants To Die is a thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi detective thriller. The gameplay during investigations can feel a little perfunctory, but the narrative unfolds at a brisk pace, and the developer makes smart use of visual trickery to convince you that the game is much bigger than it actually is, presenting you with unforgettable future cityscapes that are perpetually out of reach. It's all an illusion, but a beautiful one.

I hope more outlets decide to give it a go

Top Bottom