• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody Wants to Die | Review Thread

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Arachnid

I was a bit put off by it looking scripted without much real gameplay, but the setting, atmoshpere, and story all look like they had legit care put into them.

Also, it's only 25 dollars for 6 hours? Sold.

Loved the setting here. More noir and less punk in my dystopian future city. They should stick to it and expand the universe more with sequels.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Finally able to dive back in. The soundtrack dude. Jesus fucking christ. The orchestration is so fucking good. We don’t deserve this.

eNqPgko.jpeg
MbgHgjd.jpeg
xu2dCZV.jpeg
C4kVIj5.jpeg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I wasn’t interested in this until I saw that it’s only 5 hours long. That sounds awesome. I’ve been saying for a long time that I’d much prefer concentrated games that execute a specific vision, rather than long padded games designed by committee.

Guess it’s time that I put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Done. Feels fresh, as in noir retro-inspired portrayal of 24th century humanity from a modern vantage point, as opposed to stock "retro-future" so no pompadour disco cyberpunk bullshit just dark dystopia dripping tears in the rain.
I like how it lets you slowly piece together the fundamentals of its world without exposition dumps, despite causing a lot of the "observer" dissonance (what the player understands what's going on vs what the character played understands of it are often miles apart), but I guess that's just the narrative method used here and it does no harm to the story that gripped me to the end. Been a while since a game I thought could actually use more lore. NPCs not up to snuff with jaw-dropping environments, not sure how those current-gen UE5 games are still so far behind years-old metahuman demos. But it's still a very good game, and, after Still Wakes the Deep, another solid entry in the genre this year. 7/10

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Done. Feels fresh, as in noir retro-inspired portrayal of 24th century humanity from a modern vantage point, as opposed to stock "retro-future" so no pompadour disco cyberpunk bullshit just dark dystopia dripping tears in the rain.
I like how it lets you slowly piece together the fundamentals of its world without exposition dumps, despite causing a lot of the "observer" dissonance (what the player understands what's going on vs what the character played understands of it are often miles apart), but I guess that's just the narrative method used here and it does no harm to the story that gripped me to the end. Been a while since a game I thought could actually use more lore. NPCs not up to snuff with jaw-dropping environments, not sure how those current-gen UE5 games are still so far behind years-old metahuman demos. But it's still a very good game, and, after Still Wakes the Deep, another solid entry in the genre this year. 7/10
Is it the type of game that you'd play again?

How's the replay value?

Bartski

Gold Member
Is it the type of game that you'd play again?

How's the replay value?
There is an alt ending, some missable trophies and the game makes a decent job making you think a lot of your choices steer the narrative, I haven’t checked if they really do but it could be interesting to play again to find out.

Humdinger

I'm a couple hours in. Positives first... Visually, it's impressive. They capture the atmosphere quite well. Graphics are slick. I enjoy just looking at the city. I'm also enjoying most of the game mechanics - the time-rewinding (reconstruction) segments in particular. I also find the minor detective work you do - piecing together the puzzles - interesting as well. It helps me keep my mind straight about the characters and what's going on. There are also some weird dream-like sequences that are entertaining.

Complaints... The main character's voice acting is a bit overwrought, so the effect turns out opposite of that intended. He would've done better to reel it in a little, make it more understated. The writing is okay but having everyone say "fucking" all the time doesn't sound "gritty," it just makes the writer sound like he/she lacks imagination. And I know noir = cynical/dark, but you don't have to drive home the bleakness every other sentence. Again, more subtlety would have been better. You don't need to bash people over the head with it; that just makes it feel forced. Also, I wish the game would have spent some time building up these characters, telling us who they are. They are mostly just names to me, not people. And I'm not fond of any of them. They all seem to be pretty much assholes or snarky cynics. Maybe that will change by the end. We'll see.

Last edited:

Acidjuice

This game looks really nice visually but its essentially a walk around click things in order and occasionally make a choice game. I was excited when i got to the investigation portion until i realized that it was also very much a right answer wrong answer kind of minigame. The voice acting was excellent, while the characters were not. I got real tired of all of the self-pitying monologuing pretty early. However the story was neatly written and at least one of the endings was interesting. Not a bad play overall, and can easily be finished in an afternoon.

JohnnyPhats

I’m 5 plus hours in. Pretty sure I’m towards the end. I dig it. Wish there was more. Couple issues. When reconstructing, you can sometimes get stuck where you can’t more. I feel like I’m just a spectator. Game is gorgeous. Ps5 on an LG77c3.

I’d like to be able to do more in this world with this character. I feel it’s worth the money.

I wasn’t interested in this until I saw that it’s only 5 hours long. That sounds awesome. I’ve been saying for a long time that I’d much prefer concentrated games that execute a specific vision, rather than long padded games designed by committee.

Guess it’s time that I put my money where my mouth is.

5 hours tho? I totally agree with you about padding but 5 hours is too damn short

Humdinger

Just finished. 7/10. Visually impressive but lacking in terms of story/character. Gameplay is a mixed bag.

Dialog/Voice/Story/Characters: The main character's voice acting was overwrought. Dialog was exaggerated, overwritten. When you write/speak this way, you have the effect opposite of that intended. They would have done better to be understated. I never felt connected to any of the characters. They all seemed to be kind of assholes. Most were just names rather than people to me. Motivation was incomprehensible. Character actions are designed to create a sense of "drama" but don't feel real or believable.

The basic premise is interesting, but the storytelling is convoluted, and I only half-followed what was happening. Given my lack of attachment to the characters, I didn't much care what happened.

I enjoyed the visual spectacle of reconstructing a crime scene, but there was no thought involved. You just press X and do what the game tells you to do. I found myself getting impatient with this dynamic, especially because the reconstructions can go on for a while.

Interesting game. I'll give it credit for trying some new things in a unique, well-rendered setting. But it fell flat for me due to the issues mentioned above.

Last edited:

damidu

has some top notch atmosphere and visuals but zero challenge in a detective story is worst offence you can do.
game re-defines what hand holding means. it almost plays itself.
already losing interest within 3-hours (of a 5 hour game)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m about 20-30 minutes into it, and so far it’s just really cliche and trying to be Bioshock. Maybe the game becomes amazing and has original ideas later on, but I don’t know if I’ll get there. Really not a fan of all the forced tutorial stuff too.

Edit: I was kinda grumpy when I wrote this before cause it took me like an hour to get it working on my PC lol. I’ll give it another try tonight.

Last edited:

Dacvak

(Edited)

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finished. Liked it for the most part, despite cyberpunk settings not being my thing. The atmosphere and graphics are the main star here, and that fits since its only a 5-6 hours game. I soaked it in. The detectives parts are fine. That kind of gameplay is, again, not my thing but nothing overstays its welcome so it works. The story was OK but the voice acting was top-notch. I am surprise how much I enjoyed most of it.

But, something reared its head in last 10-20% of the game, something that I absolutely abhor in games- slow walking. The character gets hurt and all the developers know in terms of how to show that hurt is force you to walk extremely slowly, while falling down every now and then and screen going black and red and shit. I hate that. Its a waste of my time and boring as all hell. Please stop doing that. Even if its for 10mns only, its too much. Must deduct a point for that.

Overall a solid 8/10 little game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Should wrap this up today. Still very much enjoying it. It’s also pushed me to check out other walking sim/puzzle/narrative focused games. Like I just picked up Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture.

The fact that this game is the one that opened the door to checking out that other stuff alone is enough to put it in my top 5 of the year.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Finished last night. Enjoyed it all the way through for the most part. Visuals and atmosphere are the reason to play. The story was fine albeit a little confusing. Agree with whoever said it above that the word “fuck” was overused and I thought the final case analysis was a real dicktease as to how combat would’ve looked had it been a part of the gameplay.

Top Bottom