• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-criticizable albums??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bowie

When I was going through my CD collection, I realized something: On a few of the CDs I've ever owned, nobody has ever complained about them. Nay, they even like them! And that's not just the majority- I couldn't think of a single person that said they disliked a certain album. Not even perfect albums (in my eyes)! So, to crush my feeble optimism, I decided to post a few findings to watch GAF-OT criticize the albums. Call it a science experiment.

What I found:

Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Cibo Matto - Viva! La Woman!

Has anybody noticed this with any of their albums? Not even necessarily perfect albums, that nobody complains about?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Those all suck!
Anyway, Abbey Road is pure musical perfection.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jim Bowie said:
Dude, Abbey Road is far from perfection; Maxwell's silver hammer?

One of my favorite Beatles songs. Next to For no One and Fool on the Hill, why do you ask?
Dark Side of the Moon is swank too.

um, that beastie boys record sucks balls. infact, all beastie boys albums suck balls. they have 5 good songs, and 0 good albums. your collection loses!

Jim Bowie

FrenchMovieTheme said:
um, that beastie boys record sucks balls. infact, all beastie boys albums suck balls. they have 5 good songs, and 0 good albums. your collection loses!

I never said it was the perfect album, man. It's just that the first person I heard complain about it, in the 4 years I've had it, you're the first to complain. Well, cept for Rev. I suppose you're the second.

Rev= Mean Mr. Mustard? You can't tell me that the song is pure musical bliss!

RevenantKioku

Jim Bowie said:
I never said it was the perfect album, man. It's just that the first person I heard complain about it, in the 4 years I've had it, you're the first to complain. Well, cept for Rev. I suppose you're the second.

Rev= Mean Mr. Mustard? You can't tell me that the song is pure musical bliss!

From Come Together to Because you have a mix of really great tunes. Once You Never Give Me Your Money starts up, you're in complete utter rock mode. Mean Mr. Mustard sandwiched between Sun King and Polythene Pam is EXCELLENT rockatude. Once Polythene Pam moves into She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, you know you're at perfection of rock. And its a blissful completion with the rest of the music.
Sorry man, I love this album from the first 'shoop' to the last bit of Her Majesty.

weehomer

Radiohead: The Bends

B000002TQV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

=W=

Matlock said:
Green Album was better.
Sorry, but I think I think the entire rest of the world's opinion holds a little more clout with me than yours that nobody agrees with.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Chony said:
Preparing to be flamed, but Dark Side of the Moon.
It's easily criticizable, despite its awesomeness. A somewhat unprecedented amount of production went into the making of DSotM, and it is somewhat "overproduced", like some of Waters' singing and some instrumentation just lacks emotion and heart.

=W= said:
Sorry, but I think I think the entire rest of the world's opinion holds a little more clout with me than yours that nobody agrees with.

That is the reason why Trapt and Linkin Park rock! HEADSTRONG!!! I'M ABOUT TO BREAK!!!

bjork

For every album, there's going to be some miserable pissy bastard who is like "hell no, that sucks, the band sucks, and you suck for liking it."

Unfortunate, but true.

Matlock

Banned
=W= said:

AH, BUT THERE IS CRITICISM.

Green > Pink > Blue > Maladroit

Tamanon

Banned
WRONG

Blue > Pink > Maladroit > Green

Close though:)

And for my choice.

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion I/II

and

Nirvana - Unplugged

=W=

Cerebral Palsy said:
That is the reason why Trapt and Linkin Park rock! HEADSTRONG!!! I'M ABOUT TO BREAK!!!
Wha? I was talking about the opinions of everybody in the entire world in relation to the quality comparison of those two specific albums. I didn't say, "A lot of people like it, so it must be good."

[edit] Saying one album is better than another != criticism

Matlock

Banned
Tamanon said:
Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion I/II

A strange choice, but good nonetheless. I can't say a damn thing bad about 'em.

=W= said:
[edit] Saying one album is better than another != criticism

I'm just complaining that it's not as good as the Green Album.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
and since I'm the resident Maynard whore here, I should find something....

Any Tool album can be criticized for the fillers, so they're all out. As is Thirteenth Step thanks to Crimes and Lullabye. Therefore, I say:

A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Eminem said:
and since I'm the resident Maynard whore here, I should find something....

Any Tool album can be criticized for the fillers, so they're all out. As is Thirteenth Step thanks to Crimes and Lullabye. Therefore, I say:

A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms

I don't like Brena...holy shit O_O *runs*

Having said that, I'm listening to Jeff Buckley and daaaaamn, it's fuckin' good! Some of these songs make me want to cry. As for what albums I think are perfect, that's tough. I always eventually find something small I don't like about an album. I'd say Abbey Road was practically perfect. Hmmm and so was Depeche Mode's "Violator" -- that's it. Close to perfect:

APC - Mer De Noms
Burning Brides - Fall of the Plastic Empire
Burning Brides - Leave No Ashes
Led Zeppelin - IV
Led Zeppelin - III
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Muse - Absolution
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

way more

Guzim said:
I'll give my two cents:

Pinkerton > Blue > Green > Maladroit
Blue>Pink is also acceptable

Correct!

Green album was when I started to show concern for Weezer.

Surfer Rosa - Pixies
The White Stripes
Oh, Brother Where art Thou? - Everyone loved that
American IV - Johnny Cash
Elliott Smith - Ellliott Smith
Chronic - Dr. Dre
Harvest Moon - Neil Young

I'll defend those readily

Diablos

There is no such thing as a "non-criticizable" album... come on now. For every album that you and your friends may love, there's someone that hates it. There is not one album listed here that someone has not put down.

Triumph

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
You root for the Fortyniners. Your opinion is less than negligible.

=W=

Desperado said:
I would say something from Queen, but there's always 1 or 2 songs that seem to irk people. meh.

QUEEN - QUEEN II
YES! Queen II rules!

And for the record, I actually think that Pinkerton is better than Blue, but Pinkerton was widely criticized when it came out, so it cannot be listed in this thread.

Triumph

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Yea, this is why we generally consider you to be a joke.
No, it's the fact that his lips are attached to Billy Corgan's anus. At least that's what does it for me!

Diablos

BuddyChrist83 said:
Yea, this is why we generally consider you to be a joke.

Hey, I like Weezer too. I just happen to enjoy blue more. This makes me a joke? Ok pal! I never had anything against you.

Diablos

Raoul Duke: Please, don't say that. That's a disturbing mental image. Billy Corgan is a gifted guitarist and songwriter, but um... no. Just no. Sorry. As a real person I think b0lly has some issues, it's quite obvious. If he jumped off a bridge, I wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom