• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
GmoupfR.jpg

vu8XU31.jpg

RpU8ZN1.jpg

Media

SUPER IMPORTANT QUICK QUESTION:

Husband got rerouted on highway 59 east to New York, which apparently passes through Canada. He does not have a passport, but does happen to have his birth certificate with him. He's just passing through, to New York. Should he turn around, reroute to Detroit, or will he be alright? It's a two-hour detour to turn around.

I can't find the info by googling.

Been checking NWS on and off, and those models are confirming what I keep reading. The storm is shifting more to the east. I really don't want another 10-12" of snow, but this does feel typical at this point for winters in the North East.

Jarmel

Banned
Is there a way to check snowfall per hour? For example, I want to check possible snowfall by Tuesday early morning.

rrs

could get 5" from the system here in central IL, but it's going to melt in 2 days, again
SUPER IMPORTANT QUICK QUESTION:

Husband got rerouted on highway 59 east to New York, which apparently passes through Canada. He does not have a passport, but does happen to have his birth certificate with him. He's just passing through, to New York. Should he turn around, reroute to Detroit, or will he be alright? It's a two-hour detour to turn around.

I can't find the info by googling.
I don't think so

Ottaro

As someone completely unfamiliar to NYC, how will this impact travelling around the area? Will the trains still run? How long does it normally take for things to get back to normal after a storm like this? I will be in queens/brooklyn.

RoadDogg

My local news near Harrisburg just updated to 12-20" with most of it being over night Monday. My snow blower decided to not work the last storm a few weeks ago but it worked again last night when I went to fix it. It better work Tuesday...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
As someone completely unfamiliar to NYC, how will this impact travelling around the area? Will the trains still run? How long does it normally take for things to get back to normal after a storm like this? I will be in queens/brooklyn.

Travel will be fucked. The MTA will probably shut down service when the storm gets really bad. Usually takes them half a day to get things up and running (or at least limited service) once the storm is done. Give yourself extra time the following day if you are going to go out.

This city waits for no one, not even mother nature. Things get back to normal fairly quickly.

Bookoo

Got a flight on Friday so I am hoping they are able to clean this up. Last time we got a lot of snow it took them forever to get the snow out of my street. (VA)

Also my Switch is supposed to be delivered on Wednesday....so that sucks.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Fucking old man winter trying to kill my back, sheeesh i don't want to shovel snow..

My uncle recently passed away while shoveling snow. Had a massive heart attack and died on the spot. No prior symptoms or condition. Not trying to scare you, only reaffirming that shoveling snow can indeed be risky and if you have to do it please be mindful of that and take care.

Kyrios

My uncle recently passed away while shoveling snow. Had a massive heart attack and died on the spot. No prior symptoms or condition. Not trying to scare you, only reaffirming that shoveling snow can indeed be risky and if you have to do it please be mindful of that and take care.

Yup, definitely take breaks inbetween for sure.

Liberty4all

Banned
This sucks, if this delays my flight Tuesday to Toronto im going to be pissed. I really don't want to be stuck in the airport in Calgary. :(

gcubed

Please don't be another shitty miss in Philly. I want a real storm this year but this has all the feelings of a 1-3" storm

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well at least I can comfortably say there's no way I'm going to work on Tuesday

crazyprac

WTF why?!?!??!!?!!!?! I just put on summer tires on the car since it was so nice last week (MD).

Uhhh guess I'll take the Prius, hope it's skinny ass tires help me make it to work

Ottaro

Travel will be fucked. The MTA will probably shut down service when the storm gets really bad. Usually takes them half a day to get things up and running (or at least limited service) once the storm is done. Give yourself extra time the following day if you are going to go out.

This city waits for no one, not even mother nature. Things get back to normal fairly quickly.
Thanks gk. Im basically expecting to be shut in on Tuesday ahah. Im hoping things will be okayish wednesday evening.

spyder_ur

Boston here. Tuesday and Wednesday off would be pretty magical. Not letting my hopes get too up, but this seems like the real thing.

It's not that rare to get snow in March. I distinctly remember a few huge March storms and even one during my April vacation week when I was young.

A few years ago when there were a few big storms including the one that demolished DC, there were a few posters here who seemed to have real experience with forecasting and weather. It was interesting to hear their perspective.

Gallbaro

Banned

MTA only shuts down subway service during flooding or Cuomo being Cuomo... Running the trains actually helps keep the tracks clear and warm. Although a switch heater will occasionally catch fire.

Busses and commuter rail on the other hand...

Culex

Banned
The last epic storm a few months ago that resulted in under 3" would like to talk to you

It all depends on where you are. CT was updated to 12-18 inches that storm, and I got around 15 inches. So it was correct.

We'll see about this one....10-20 inches seems like a pretty crummy model.

gcubed

It all depends on where you are. CT was updated to 12-18 inches that storm, and I got around 15 inches. So it was correct.

We'll see about this one....10-20 inches seems like a pretty crummy model.

I'm talking about Philly in particular

Everything is different with snow storms when you have kids. School closes, work not closed. I need to either stay home and attempt to get work done with kids in the house or just take the day off as PTO.

But this is my last week at my job so I don't give a fuuuuuuuck - bring it on!!!

Media

could get 5" from the system here in central IL, but it's going to melt in 2 days, again
I don't think so

Yeah, he had to turn around. Back to Detroit. Is now in Pennsylvania and will reach his destination around 2 AM and has to be at his meeting at 6 AM to suck for him.

And then he has to drive back Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom