• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina to begin enforcing posted Speed Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

minx

That's going to be a lot of traffic stops. I have never pulled someone over for under 15 MPH on the highway. Usually wait for the big fish (25+) in the sea.

Why is society moving backwards with regards to speeding?

Limits need to be raised, not lowered and definitely not taking the buffer away.

Everyone speeds including you.

batman, you have a stalker.

give me a break, i've gotta chase down criminals all over the city

Why is society moving backwards with regards to speeding?
Limits need to be raised, not lowered and definitely not taking the buffer away.
i thought society was supposed to be moving forward with conserving energy? driving faster means using more fuel.

Mathieran

Banned
I usually go 5 over the limit, I think country wide that is kind of the accepted limit. Guess I better start being more careful. However, as someone that lives in the triangle I would like to see the limits get enforced because people drive like maniacs here.

ViciousDS

Banned
well.....it is called a speed.....limit lol

places in my area already do that on local roads going 1mph over. Everyone knows not to speed in Bull Valley! Voted worst police in Illinois XD

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Most egregious violation of the police-citizen social contract since the elimination of the brown paper bag.

Cops just trying to scrub away any good will they have left with the public.

Early anecdotal evidence from here in Charlotte: Not a damn thing has changed (as most of suspected would happen)

I actually tried to drive the speed limit on my morning commute (45) down Tryon heading out of the city and got overtaken by 4 cars consecutively. Great job enforcing the posted limits fellas

It's a tough spot for me because I feel like I will get run over driving at the limit (especially in the city) but I know that as a young brother who happens to drive a nice car, my ass will be the first one to get pulled over because of this bullshit

ElFly

Okay? This has nothing to do with the speed at which anybody is travelling. The article points out itself more people driving, and more people driving distracted as probable causes for an increase. People can die in cars, that won't ever be completely eliminated, and it's way more likely to happen if you're on your phone instead of paying attention. That said, there's no reason why a modern car would be particularly unsafe at 75 instead of 55 in good conditions, assuming the driver isn't also texting.

The lethality of accidents goes in direct proportion to the speeds involved. Period.

Cars have been getting safer, yes, but that doesn't mean they can ignore simple physics. Just lowering the speed, even if it kept the amount of total crashes (BIG assumption), will drop the amount of fatalities, that's just a fact.

Future

Pull you over 1mph over the speed limit? Lol. Out of touch trolling by police. Are those the people you really want to waste time pulling over

It's actually difficult to stay exactly on the speed limit. No one really is gonna do it, because everyone drives at the limit. To successfully not go over you'd have to aim to drive slower than the limit which would be too damn slow these days. Car horsepower and chassis are built for faster speeds the whenever those speed limits were made most likely

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The lethality of accidents goes in direct proportion to the speeds involved. Period.

Cars have been getting safer, yes, but that doesn't mean they can ignore simple physics. Just lowering the speed, even if it kept the amount of total crashes (BIG assumption), will drop the amount of fatalities, that's just a fact.

The majority of accidents are caused by slow drivers, not fast ones. A speeding car is near you for a split second. A slow driver is an obstacle to everyone behind them, and many accidents result from other drivers trying to avoid them. Los Angeles has incredible numbers of freeway crashes during commute hours every day, many of them lethal, and nobody is going anywhere near the speed limit on any of those roads. You literally can't.

Speed or lack thereof is not the safety concern, and people who think it is are part of the problem, not to mention uninformed. The problem is inadequate infrastructure to handle the volume of traffic and incredibly poor driver training.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Speeds limits always seemed weird to me. This may have changed since I left, but I remember a lot of freeways in the Chicago suburbs were marked at 55 MPH, yet from my experience traffic was routinely moving at 70-78. Technically you of course could get pulled over going 20 above the limit, but 55 seemed unreasonably slow for these big 4 lane freeways.

Pretty much it's the same. You can easily go 75-80 within the Chicagoland area and 85 on rural interstates with little problem. The only places I've seen people dinged is small towns in rural IL where they nail you doing 5-10 mph over when the speed limit drops from 55 to 25-30 on two lane state highways. Or in suburbs when you're doing over 25 above the posted limit.

Yep, and when I get pulled over I will pay the ticket I deserve as I broke the law. Pretty simple really.

It's not about the law.

People will speed because they won't get caught. People will speed, and I guess police are now at times concerned with pulling people over at 1mph over. They have the instructions to do so, but they often won't much more often than they will. Yay.

neoism

What's the point of a limit of you have a buffer?

whats the point for every car made to go 120-200....
The reason they never enforce the 1-9 mph over is because there's no money in that. 10+ is a good fine.
im sure it depends.. my state for awhile it was 20 bones for every mile over the limit... it was 5, but they did change it back...
ive only had one speeding ticket.. i was going 62 in a 35 lol.... with court costs and the class it was all about 600-700.. it was only 5$ per mile over when i did that though.. i was only 19 never again..

Holy fuck thats stupid.

In Canada, atleast Ontario, theres a 10kmph buffer. I think Schoolzone is the only exception.

Yep. I've heard 16km/h over. Radars have a margin of error/calibration issues/just not worth the officers time.

Certainly my experiences on the highway have borne that out.

It's not about the law.

People will speed because they won't get caught. People will speed, and I guess police are now at times concerned with pulling people over at 1mph over. They have the instructions to do so, but they often won't much more often than they will. Yay.

Still failing to see the issue. Police could always pull somebody over for going 1 MPH over if they wanted to because the law dictates an upper limit. There's just been a call to better enforce the law.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll be taking i40 to 264 tomorrow heading to eastern NC so we'll see how enforced it is I suppose. They love cracking down on holiday weekends and its all about revenue.

ElFly

The majority of accidents are caused by slow drivers, not fast ones. A speeding car is near you for a split second. A slow driver is an obstacle to everyone behind them, and many accidents result from other drivers trying to avoid them. Los Angeles has incredible numbers of freeway crashes during commute hours every day, many of them lethal, and nobody is going anywhere near the speed limit on any of those roads. You literally can't.

Speed or lack thereof is not the safety concern, and people who think it is are part of the problem, not to mention uninformed. The problem is inadequate infrastructure to handle the volume of traffic and incredibly poor driver training.

This is not about amount of accidents but the amount of actual deaths.

There's no discussing that more people get killed in accidents when there are higher speeds involved.

One cause of slow drivers may be the stupid idea of a buffer zone, where you can drive up to 10mph higher than the limit. It is ridiculous. Of course, someone driving below or at the limit will be perceived as a slow driver, because the very idea of driving 13% above the speed limit is considered normal.

There's a limit, and it should be respected. The idea of a buffer zone is imbecile. Even the argument of inaccurate speedometers is not FOR a buffer zone, cause it means that people who think they are driving just 10mph beyond the limit may easily be also victims of an inaccurate speedometer and easily be doing way more.

The whole Los Angeles argument is also moot, as it is documented that unsafe speeds are a factor in deaths in the accidents california.

weshes195

I actually think more cops should do this and enforcing the law seems like a good idea, but what happens if it is only 1 or 2 miles over? Unless you have a car that can give you exact numbers on how fast you are going, all people have to go on is an estimating what number the red line is at.

Sulik2

NC is incredibly stupid with their speed limits, no surprise they are dumb enough to try to start enforcing their way too low speed limits anyways. When every single car on the road drives over the speed limit, it means you need to raise the speed limit.

Still failing to see the issue. Police could always pull somebody over for going 1 MPH over if they wanted to because the law dictates an upper limit. There's just been a call to better enforce the law.

They don't because the margin of error on their radar guns covers 1MPH. They are wasting everyone's time pulling someone over for that low of speeds, you can get that dropped in court instantly.

I thought the 10MPH buffer existed because most traffic tickets don't even have an option to fine you at that low range, not because of "lazy cops." Does NC have an option to select "1-10" MPH over with an associated fine?

A buffer? Police in the UK will happily pull you over for doing 2-3mph over the limit.

On the other hand they don't carry guns, so guess it balances out

No they won't. You'll very rarely get pulled under 80

TheYanger

I've learned in this thread that people genuinely think cars today are magically capable of bending the laws of physics and being just as safe at higher speeds as lower speeds.

News flash, speed limits aren't to save you from when you collide with someone at 65 MPH or 75 MPH (or 55 if you've lived more than 20 years and realize it's not 'antiquated' when it's only been that high for a couple decades most places), they're to make it so that you can actually fucking stop your car in a reasonable amount of time. The distance required to stop is exponential with the speed you're going. Weaving around lanes has nothing to do with anything, someone merging onto the freeway becomes more and more deadly the faster you're going, or someone cutting you off, or a freaking dog crossing the road, etc.

The distance your car is going to travel from the time you see something that needs you to stop until you manage to actually be stopped is something like 40% greater going from 65 to 75.

KingBroly

Banned
I thought the 10MPH buffer existed because most traffic tickets don't even have an option to fine you at that low range, not because of "lazy cops." Does NC have an option to select "1-10" MPH over with an associated fine?

No, but at some point it becomes a felony, I believe. In some states, anyway.

Right. An officer will do what they feel like doing, with the "law is the law" being a convenient excuse. I was trailing an officer doing 45 in a 35 on my commute home today (I was speeding!). Nothing new under the sun.

If they are more enforcing now, they will later relax.

TheYanger

Right. An officer will do what they feel like doing, with the "law is the law" being a convenient excuse. Nothing new under the sun.

If they are more enforcing now, they will later relax.

"convenient excuse"...The law is the law, if it were PRACTICAL to enforce it all the time, they would. Making it sound like it's the man keeping you down sure must feel a lot better than just admitting to knowingly breaking the law to save a couple of minutes (at most). And yes, I drive over the limit too, but if I got a ticket that'd be the risk I take by doing it.

That's like getting away with stealing bubble gum from the store and then getting mad that they catch you once in a while.

People saying "they'll need to pull over everyone" are missing the point. By imposing this and enforcing it by fining people, fewer people will do it.

Driving in America sounds like the fucking worst. I rarely speed in the UK and if I do it's at most 74 instead of 70. Nothing so important that I need to get somewhere 2 minutes early.

TheYanger

I bet they lose more money than they gain when 90% or these tickets get reduced/thrown out.

Who cares if it makes less people drive like idiots. Know way too many people that are AWFUL drivers but think they need to go 90+ on the freeway as if they can't spare 15 minutes of their lives.

Driving in America sounds like the fucking worst. I rarely speed in the UK and if I do it's at most 74 instead of 70. Nothing so important that I need to get somewhere 2 minutes early.

I'm not a big fan of speeding, obviously, but keep perspective: The UK is only the size of Texas. Our country is almost 40 times bigger than yours.

akileese

Lmao whatever North Carolina police.

Here in Texas if you aren't going at least 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway (ours go up to 80mph, God bless Texas) the police might actually get frustrated by you going too slow and try to pass you.

Yeah haha. I lived in CT most of my life where the highways were strictly state troopers shooting radar. In Texas, all the highways are handled by the municipalities and it seems like unless they can nail you for a severe ticket (work zone, school zone, or 15+), they don't even bother pulling you over.

The only area I've seen this to not be true in is Southlake, Westlake, and Trophy Club on 114. Trophy Club specifically, has the longest school zone in the country (it's like 2.5 miles) and seems to exist solely for ticketing people, and so rich white people can say they live in Trophy Club.

Protein

Banned
Lmao whatever North Carolina police.

Here in Texas if you aren't going at least 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway (ours go up to 80mph, God bless Texas) the police might actually get frustrated by you going too slow and try to pass you.
Except for bumfuck-nowhere cities that deliberately hunt you down for that ticket money.

Who cares if it makes less people drive like idiots. Know way too many people that are AWFUL drivers but think they need to go 90+ on the freeway as if they can't spare 15 minutes of their lives.

I would if I were a taxpayer in NC. Pretty sure the police have more to be worried about than people going 1MPH over the limit.

Also if you just need to take the ticket in to get it ripped up, it's not much of a deterrent.

"convenient excuse"...The law is the law, if it were PRACTICAL to enforce it all the time, they would. Making it sound like it's the man keeping you down sure must feel a lot better than just admitting to knowingly breaking the law to save a couple of minutes (at most). And yes, I drive over the limit too, but if I got a ticket that'd be the risk I take by doing it.

That's like getting away with stealing bubble gum from the store and then getting mad that they catch you once in a while.

I'm not getting pulled for going 1mph over, an officer could care less. They have common sense, and choose when to enforce. If NC were serious they'd start using automation technology rather than manpower. Really, technology that helps catch people who use cell phones while they drive, or gets people for going through red lights.

Lol are you one of those people that hold up traffic? Do you even realize the purpose of speeding tickets? It's all about the money.
That may be the reason they were brought in but it has positive side effects. Namely lower energy collisions are less likely to be fatal and lower speeds give drivers more time to react therefore reducing the number of collisions compared to the same road with a higher speed limit. (I can see you bringing up the fact that there are more fatal collisions at lower speeds. This is not because collisions are more likely to be fatal at lower speeds but because lower speed roads have more junctions and sharper turns.)

As to whether I hold up traffic, no I do not because I live in the UK where while speeding isn't something that is strictly enforced it isn't something that everyone does to the same extent as in the US.

empyrean

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread but as I'm a junior I can't make my own :(.

My girlfriend has been offered a job in North Carolina (we are both in england) the job is about 20minutes away from Charlotte.

Anyone care to give an opinion on North Carolina/ Charlotte to an Englishman who has only ever been on holiday to Florida and Vegas before?

She is a "primary school" teacher in England, not sure what year she is going to teach in America yet. Her salary will be around $35k is this enough to live on? (It will just be her on her own to begin with for a year
Until we get married).

Just looking for any general information really, do anything anyone can add would be awesome :)

In Virginia 15+ and over 80 on the Interstate is a felony.

Christ. I did about 25 over (80mph) and it was a 500$ ticket. Not a god damned felony.

Then again I did 90mph in MD and got a 90$ ticket.

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread but as I'm a junior I can't make my own :(.

My girlfriend has been offered a job in North Carolina (we are both in england) the job is about 20minutes away from Charlotte.

Anyone care to give an opinion on North Carolina/ Charlotte to an Englishman who has only ever been on holiday to Florida and Vegas before?

She is a "primary school" teacher in England, not sure what year she is going to teach in America yet. Her salary will be around $35k is this enough to live on? (It will just be her on her own to begin with for a year
Until we get married).

Just looking for any general information really, do anything anyone can add would be awesome :)

I have alot of family in N.C. and they all love it. Bunch of teachers. I'll say 35K might not seem like much but it'll get yo further in NC than NY.

Personally I really want to move to NC (my mom and dad are from there) but my job and wife's family keep my in NY.

it's always funny to see the cops here in southern md start enforcing the speed limit once the end of the month starts to roll in. gotta fill that quota and stop as many as you can. the police here speed more than the regular drivers here and flip their lights to go through red lights, but hey man you were goin 65 in a 55 gotta enforce those laws on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom