• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina to begin enforcing posted Speed Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for making the posted speed limit be the actual speed limit, because having a real speed limit that's 5-10 mph over is a really stupid system, but there's no excuse for limits to not have changed in the decades since they were set. Modern cars are enormously more safe and capable of higher performance, so there's no excuse for limits to not have changed with improving technology.

As an Ohio resident, people routinely go over the speed limit.

Not by 5-10 mph, but usually 15-20, even in construction zones. And half the time I can see them staring at their phones, too (which is also supposed to be illegal)

ryseing

And I have to drive home this weekend for Easter. Great. Can normally do it in 1.5 hours with reasonable speeding but now it's going to take 2+.

Baratan

Banned
Well, in PA the 'buffer zone' is the law. Not a myth.

§ 3368. Speed timing devices.
(4) No person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraphs (2) and (3) unless the speed recorded is six or more miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. Furthermore, no person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) in an area where the legal speed limit is less than 55 miles per hour if the speed recorded is less than ten miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. This paragraph shall not apply to evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (2) or (3) within a school zone or an active work zone.

ElFly

highway speed limits in this country are antiquated at best. This just reeks of "we need more income" rather than a public safety measure.

I'm all for making the posted speed limit be the actual speed limit, because having a real speed limit that's 5-10 mph over is a really stupid system, but there's no excuse for limits to not have changed in the decades since they were set. Modern cars are enormously more safe and capable of higher performance, so there's no excuse for limits to not have changed with improving technology.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article31301132.html

Traffic deaths are up 19 percent in North Carolina so far this year

Across the state, 634 people were killed in motor vehicle wrecks in the first six months of 2015, compared with 531 the year before. In South Carolina, fatal accidents have increased even more: up 21 percent to 445.

Both states showed larger increases in deadly crashes than the nation as a whole. Across the U.S., about 19,000 people died through June, up 14 percent over 2014.

EYEL1NER

When I learned to drive at 21, my coworkers all told me that while it will never work as an excuse and to never tell a cop "I thought I could go 10 over," that up to 10 mph over was generally okay. What I do I is situational here; if I am driving to my daughter's school or wife's work, it is 35mph through the city the whole way there and so I do 40 the whole time. I use my cruise control at all times, even in stop-go traffic. I'll hop on Broad Street with the 35 MPH speed limit and set the cc at 40 and just go. There are some people going faster, a lot doing the same amount, and some doing 30 or less (there's a retirement home nearby with a ton of people living there who still have a license and car, as well as a good number of mopeds on the road since people who lose their license over DUIs/DWIs are still allowed to drive a moped or scooter on pretty much any road and there is apparently a TON of people with DUIs/DWIs around here). If I am driving to Columbia, Myrtle Beach (with the exception of driving through Turbeville, which is a speed trap), Charleston, or Charlotte, I am doing 10 over on the highway (sometimes more on 77 up to Charlotte or on 95 north through SC).

I imagine this won't stick in NC. If it is something they are even going to enforce, it will last a week or so before it goes back to the normal way it is now. If not, I'll keep it in mind next time I go to Charlotte or drive up I-95 through the state to get to VA Beach.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What do you mean by this? Because I noticed this last year when I drove through there and I still went like 95 the whole way through the state.

So you never ran past a cop. Congrats.

Wyoming has fuck all nothing and wide open roads with good visibility, so they can do that. 80mph wouldn't work for a lot of in-city highways where the curve of ramps would be too sharp for a car going 80 to safely use or have merges/hazards where 80mph gives you too little of time to react.

The speed limit reduces as soon as you get close to a town. This was them accepting the fact that with a 75, people are going to go 80. So they bumped it to 80 with a warning that there's no buffer. I'm not sure I see the problem here.

When the fuck are we going to start worrying about slow drivers more? The speed limit should work both ways equally, both for going over the limit, and going way under the limit.

I like the idea of enforcing better on normal roads, but on highways with more than three lanes there needs to be allowance for a buffer. The leftmost lanes are fast-lanes. That's a commonly accepted understanding. It makes things so much more efficient on highways when you know where you're going and don't have an exit to take for like 40 miles. I drive on I-40 regularly between Chapel Hill and Greensboro and people always go between 10-15 over in the furthest left lane and it makes getting around so much easier.

The "buffer zone" is 15 mph over in MA highways. 70 in a 55, 80 in a 65, 90 in a 75. In the passing lane, of course.

My commute would be torture at the speed limit.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
There's no way they can win in court with under 5 mph over. The devices they use aren't perfect.

Koomaster

There's no way they can win in court with under 5 mph over. The devices they use aren't perfect.
Even if you are found innocent in traffic court, you still have to pay court fees. So they get their money either way unfortunately.

I honestly don't see how you can keep from going over the speed limit unless you are actively driving 5mph under the speed limit. The buffer exists not as a free pass but so you can safely speed up and slow down as needed. If people are getting tickets for going even 1mph over the speed limit you're going to have a lot of slow drivers who are going to drive under vs those who don't care either way and are still going the old speeds they used to. So this is making things more dangerous.

My memory is fuzzy, but wasn't NC criticized for handing out more bicycle citations in poor neighborhoods than in rich ones a while back?
Can't wait to see how the stats on these speed limit tickets are handed out.

DominoKid

i guess im about to catch hella speeding tickets then.

honestly unless you're going like 15+ over on a non-highway they should just leave you the fuck alone.

Pikelet

In Australia the speed limit that is displayed on signs is the speed limit that is enforced.

There is also a small buffer zone to allow for the small margin of error in speed-measuring devices, but the majority of people drive under the limit at all times.

As an outsider, it seems completely ludicrous to me that American speed limit signs are regarded as pretty much irrelevant.

You know, if you intend to get rid of the buffer zone and people have been using the buffer zone without issue for however long it's been in place, why not just raise the speed limit to the buffer zone? Like I understand people would be worried about a new buffer zone, but most people don't drive at crazy speeds so at a point I really don't see why people think it's going to be such a big issue. Those assholes going crazy fast do it regardless of what the speed limit is.

I just keep up with the flow of traffic for the most part. If they're doing 75 on a 55, so am I.

If the speed limit is like 55 and I'm by myself, I'm probably doing the speed limit. I actually had a convo with a VA state trooper and he told me they actually strictly enforce the posted speed limit so I'm not even trying to have those problems . He also said he personally won't even bother if you're one or two over the limit, but 5 and above he's going to pull you over.

This is in the Hampton Roads area, though everyone and their mama here knows about Emporia and the I-95/U.S. 58 junction.

turtle553

hqdefault.jpg

Everyone obeying the speed limit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoETMCosULQ

A speeding ticket is just the premium I pay to drive faster than everyone else. When I'm "not speeding", my cruise is set to 10 over.

BKG

Banned
Even speed cameras (in NYC at least) have a buffer. The new posted speed limit on city streets is 25 MPH. If you're going 30, the camera will not capture a photo of you.

Seriously fuck deblasio, got a ticket for going 31 from one of those cameras

Ovid

Seriously fuck deblasio, got a ticket for going 31 from one of those cameras
I got one for doing 35 in a 25. I forgot that they lowered the speed limit (previous speed limit was 30). Also, the city installed a bunch of speed cameras in school zones.

Watch out for those.

http://myfox8.com/2016/03/23/speedi...nc-to-target-anyone-going-above-posted-limit/

I have never heard of states going after this. Most don't seem to care about that buffer zone or higher. I'm curious to see if this is going to be a new trend.

When I was in 12th grade, my doc law teacher once told us that the 9 mph thing was because the fine for going 10+ miles over the speed limit is a lot higher than the 9 miles over one. Because of that, it makes more sense for police to wait until someone goes 10 over because the ticket goes from like $40 to ~$100...

Or at least it did on Long Island in 2006 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom