• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

bjork

Is GFW actually confirmed to be a standard wrestling promotion? I was thinking that Jeff might use the links he has with NJPW, AAA and the PPV companies to repackage and translate shows from abroad.

What if they did it in a season format like Lucha Underground, but they repackaged the footage like Power Rangers, but over the top and purposely bad? Maybe have skits where regular dudes are airbrushed to look like Devitt or Tajiri or whoever, and badly dubbed over promos etc.

bjork

I'm surprised no one has made a Funko POP! game yet. Those models lend themselves to a simple 3D game and cover more licenses.

Recall

I genuinely feel GFW is just a label to help promote shows. Be it Japanese events, local Indy shows or lucha, just helping to make it available to as many audiences as possible and sharing costs/income.

I'm willing to give Jeff the benefit of the doubt and that he knows what he is doing without resorting to creating more tired un-needed promotions.

It's uncertain what kind of promotion GFW is. Sometimes it seems like it's a "new NWA", acting like a umbrella over various promotions. I have no idea if they intend to have an actual TV show and GFW roster or they will operate entirely through partnerships and crossovers.

I'm guessing if the New Japan show is a success, they'll probably look at hosting other promotions' events, probably not on PPV (as NJPW is the only one big enough to work on PPV) but in other ways.

Everything that's been said seems to suggest the "New NWA" idea. Sounds like Jarrett and co. want to make a couple TV products then let local promoters run GFW branded shows with the talent from the TV shows. I think he realized the TV product can easily make money and that the riskier ventures like live events can be handled by local promoters who will take the loss if the shows don't succeed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lego Batman 2 had the Danny Elfman score and a more unique looking city. What did Marvel have? Even the gags in Batman 2 were better. The Superman & Batman dynamic of that game is AMAZING.

strobogo

Banned
I like the Lego Star Wars games better than the movies they are based on. I'd rather watch a Lego Star Wars ep7 than a real one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sunny was in here trying to defend the Schumacher Batman movies, right? Because I was rewatching Batman & Robin, and it's amazing to me that someone who would get banned over the idea of Joss Whedon writing Blade would like those movies.

Those movies are like shitty Whedon 'everyone is so witty' writing before Whedon was doing it.

strobogo

Banned
Sunny was in here trying to defend the Schumacher Batman movies, right? Because I was rewatching Batman & Robin, and it's amazing to me that someone who would get banned over the idea of Joss Whedon writing Blade would like those movies.

Those movies are like shitty Whedon 'everyone is so witty' writing before Whedon was doing it.

Batman and Robin is fun and playful, a throw back to the swinging 60s over the top absurdist humor of the Adam West days. Batman Forever is a movie trying to be that and a dark, quirky Tim Burton movie at the same time and failing terribly at both.

Sweedon had already done Buffy the movie and Alien Resurrection was the same year as BR. So it was more concurrent at the times of him writing everyone is so witty.

Batman and Robin is fun and playful, a throw back to the swinging 60s over the top absurdist humor of the Adam West days. Batman Forever is a movie trying to be that and a dark, quirky Tim Burton movie at the same time and failing terribly at both.

I've always wondered how much Burton interfered with Batman Forever, since he was Producer. There's still way too much Burton in it, but without going full Burton so feels really stupid.

strobogo

Banned
I've always wondered how much Burton interfered with Batman Forever, since he was Producer. There's still way too much Burton in it, but without going full Burton so feels really stupid.

I don't think he had anything at all to do with it. I think Shoe Maker didn't want to go full blast on his first outing, so he tried to tip toe the line between both worlds.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Batman & Robin

Positives
•Arnold. It's a shitty portrayal of Mr. Freeze and not because of the puns but more his overall jovial attitude. Victor Fries dancing? What? But Arnold is so charismatic that you instantly like him regardless. I just like to pretend he's portraying some alternate universe Mr. Freeze.
•Clooney as Batman. I actually like him a lot as Batman all things considered.
•The sets are weird in a way that you don't see anymore, but it still comes off as trying too hard to look like the sets from Batman Returns.
•Pretty good Batmobile. Not the best but pretty good
•Ms B. Haven. She couldn't act, but I didn't care.
•Bane's jaunty driving hat
•The soundtrack

Negatives
•Uma Thurman. Every time she's on my screen, I asked why the writer hated me so? What did I do to deserve this overacting drama teacher mess?
•Chris O'Donnell. The most punchable face in existence... So I guess he nailed Robin?
•The dialogue
•The Story
•The plot holes
•The soundtrack
•Clooney as Bruce Wayne. He just looks like George Clooney. It's like they made no effort to hide that.

Basically, Cloondawg and Ahnald are the only good things about that movie. And there's a song in there called "Look Into My Eyes" by
I'm the Captain

That would be the most interesting and probably easiest way to go. Not another promotion of ex WWE/WCW/ECW (and now TNA) guys, plus unknown Southern indie guys. Do something interesting and new. Maybe make some in roads for other promotions. Basically be a modern version of the NWA and show EVERYTHING that isn't WWE. Air NJPW/AAA/ROH/PWG, whatever.

I'd pay for a GFW Network. Heh.

I don't think he had anything at all to do with it. I think Shoe Maker didn't want to go full blast on his first outing, so he tried to tip toe the line between both worlds.

He definitely produced it, I watched it after we discussed it just to see how bad it really was again!

Man, Joel Schumacher... those Batman movies really are a huge sore spot on an otherwise amazing list of credits.

The Number 23 (2007)
Phone Booth (2002)
8MM (1999)

Batman & Robin (1997)
Batman Forever (1995)

The Client (1994)
Falling Down (1993)
Flatliners (1990)
The Lost Boys (1987)
St. Elmo's Fire (1985)

I don't think Falling Down is that good. It's just white collar power fantasy.

It gets high honours mainly due to watching it when I was 14 or so and thinking it was the greatest thing ever. Guy goes mental, it's probably the opening 30 minutes or so I can remember the most to be honest.

strobogo

Banned
He definitely produced it, I watched it after we discussed it just to see how bad it really was again!

Man, Joel Schumacher... those Batman movies really are a huge sore spot on an otherwise amazing list of credits.

The Number 23 (2007)
Phone Booth (2002)
8MM (1999)

Batman & Robin (1997)
Batman Forever (1995)

The Client (1994)
Falling Down (1993)
Flatliners (1990)
The Lost Boys (1987)
St. Elmo's Fire (1985)

I know he was a producer, but I'm pretty sure it was in name only and he had no influence or anything to do with those two movies. Just getting that chingle chingle.

Hernandez said:
On his departure from TNA: "The only way I know that I'm not on the show no more is I don't get a cheque no more. The last time I got a call from TNA was the end of November 2013; my contract ended May 12th (2014), which is awkward because I thought it was the 14th of May. I wake up on the 12th, and it was all over social media, Impact wrestling unfollowed me on Twitter... I text Mrs Carter the day after my contract expired saying "thanks for the eight years"; I'm still waiting for a response. It is the most bush league thing I've ever heard of."

On the main problem with TNA: "As long as the Carters have billions of dollars, that company will never go away. I just think the infrastructure just needs, you know, how you snake a toilet? They have Jeff Hardy, you had Sting, Kurt Angle, the best up and coming talent (like) Austin Aries, Roode, Styles, all these guys that could do anything, and you let every former WWE employee that served coffee to Vince McMahon try to be the boss time after time after time."

On LAX: "The reason why you saw LAX being so good and so strong on TV was because Konnan literally had to threaten to quit and take his bag and roll into the parking lot every time they came up with some corny ass idea for LAX."

On whether he would return to TNA: "Of course not. You wrestle somewhere eight years, you do every stupid semi-racist vignette. I know how a Mexican looks, acts and talks. I don't need a fifty year old white man telling me I'm not being Mexican enough. At the beginning of Mexican America I was doing all the talking, but because I wasn't saying essa and orale I magically became the non-speaker. I told them I wouldn't talk like that because I live in Houston and I'm not gonna get my ass kicked because I'm making fun of my own people."

:jnc

I know he was a producer, but I'm pretty sure it was in name only and he had no influence or anything to do with those two movies. Just getting that chingle chingle.

Ah right, I read your post wrong. I might have to try and find a commentary/documentary on Batman Forever now. I think the DVD/BR might have one actually. If Tim Burton isn't there flapping his lips at some point, you're probably right.

Mother fucker, I'd fight that jacked up mother fucker. Mother fucker.

ZLJK9.gif

spawn was the first rated R movie I snuck into, was great fun~

I don't know why the movie gets such a bad rap, its a dopey fantasy flick, how offensive!

also a considerable flaw with batman and robin is that every character outside of mr. freeze is a fucking brat?

As we proceed with our latest segment, Justin LaBar sits down for an exclusive, one on one interview, with week long guest, Vince Russo.

Vince Russo has undoubtedly been one of the most polarizing individuals in professional wrestling over the past two decades. The journey of how the Long Island fanboy became a head writer in the business he loved, for the biggest companies in the world, is truly a one of a kind tale.

LaBar and Russo discuss his early days in the WWF. What is the real story behind his hiring? What were his initial frustrations, fears, and obstacles?

LaBar digs deeper and gets Russo to open up about his relationships with Ed Ferrara, Vince McMahon, Jim Cornette, and many others.

LaBar also hits on the creative process in the Attitude Era compared to the creative process of today’s product. Russo delivers can’t miss backstage stories, and talks about the size and responsibilities of today’s creative team.

Throw out what you think you know, and hear the facts from the man himself. Get ready for a dose of reality, as LaBar and Russo set the record straight in this can’t miss interview!

If you can't talk, ya got no future in the WWE.

Matt Striker tells it like it is

Roman and Bryan got no chance in hell now.

Batman & Robin

Positives
•Arnold. It's a shitty portrayal of Mr. Freeze and not because of the puns but more his overall jovial attitude. Victor Fries dancing? What? But Arnold is so charismatic that you instantly like him regardless. I just like to pretend he's portraying some alternate universe Mr. Freeze.
•Clooney as Batman. I actually like him a lot as Batman all things considered.
•The sets are weird in a way that you don't see anymore, but it still comes off as trying too hard to look like the sets from Batman Returns.
•Pretty good Batmobile. Not the best but pretty good
•Ms B. Haven. She couldn't act, but I didn't care.
•Bane's jaunty driving hat
•The soundtrack

Negatives
•Uma Thurman. Every time she's on my screen, I asked why the writer hated me so? What did I do to deserve this overacting drama teacher mess?
•Chris O'Donnell. The most punchable face in existence... So I guess he nailed Robin?
•The dialogue
•The Story
•The plot holes
•The soundtrack
•Clooney as Bruce Wayne. He just looks like George Clooney. It's like they made no effort to hide that.

Basically, Cloondawg and Ahnald are the only good things about that movie. And there's a song in there called "Look Into My Eyes" by
I'm the Captain

You forgot Gossip Gerty in the positive column.

Some news from Pwinsider on TNA:

Regarding TNA's future with a TV deal and live events, there has been little to no communication between TNA officials and the rest of the employees. There are a lot of wrestlers very worried and "freaking out" right now.

It just feels like the end. I wonder now if GFW can find a tv deal that pays them decent money to get a good roster.

Told you fucks this should have been the TNA Memorial Thread

So is Stro going to review the last episode of Impact?

Its a shame (but not surprising) that they are not building to a big crazy final show where they unify the belts and stuff like WCW. Instead they are just fizzling out and fading away.

I would watch that show.

Its a shame (but not surprising) that they are not building to a big crazy final show where they unify the belts and stuff like WCW. Instead they are just fizzling out and fading away.

I would watch that show.

It's basically the last episode of Thunder or Saturday Night.

strobogo

Banned

I would watch that show.

Is tonight the last one? I might do it tomorrow if that's the case. But if I watch Impact thinking it is the last one and then I find out it isn't, there will be hell to pay.

Top Bottom