• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

strobogo

Banned
Hard times for me right now, daddeh...

I can't log on to wwe network. Wanted to watch some of the ECW stuff that aired on Monday and Main Event, yesterday. /sad

Network is down, yeah.

It's been dodgy as shit for the last 3 days for me. LOTS of stuttering, freezing, having to restart, not able to skip or rewind without it freezing. All these free month bandwaggon yahoos are ruining a good thing.

Alucard

Banned
Been running avast for the past hour or so on my laptop, so actually been fast forwarding through Raw with the extra time to kill. First time in 3-4 weeks. Up to the main event now. I barely remember anything good that has happened on this show. So much throwaway stuff. And nothing involving the Divas has been good on this show. Skipped through the whole Paige match.

Things I like from this episode:

-Ryback (great look, clear and easy to understand lines and motivations, good acting for his character)
-Rusev (just really fun to watch and has a presence like few others)
-Ambrose and Wyatt promos (much better than Jericho and Wyatt so far, but these guys still speak in abstractions too much. They need something tangible to care about)

That's...about it. Cena bores me, Hunter and Steph even bury heels, Ziggler isn't going anywhere, Paige and AJ make no sense, etc.

tm24

The best part of Lucha Underground is that King Cuerno still needs to show up. Like there's so much left to reveal

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's been dodgy as shit for the last 3 days for me. LOTS of stuttering, freezing, having to restart, not able to skip or rewind without it freezing. All these free month bandwaggon yahoos are ruining a good thing.

Happens everytime there is a free preview. It always kills the stream on the PS3 and iPad but is fine on PC.

Alucard

Banned
Using friend Alucard's ROH reviews as my template and inspiration, I'm going to watch Lucha Underground (S01E01) and give everyone my honest opinion on the impending Wednesday Night War.

Stay tuned, friends.

I'm excited. Please keep us posted, as we look forward to your informed opinion.

And holy shit does Cena's AA look awwwwful when applied to Ryback.

Alucard

Banned
Okay, tuning into TNA Impact now. I'm in for the last two episodes on Spike. Enjoyed what I saw last week. Bobby Roode is fantastic. And Lashley was a better champ than Brock has been.

JavyOO7

I only saw bits of pieces of TNA when they were "trying" to be good. I remember thinking I wished that AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, Samoa Joe, LAX and Money Inc., should go to the WWE. Especially Samoa Joe. I'm still blown away by that match he had against Angle... the "MMA" match. =p

Alucard

Banned
Holy shit, James Storm just used his Feast or Fired case from like a year ago to cash in on a tag title shot. LOL. OUTTA NOWHERE. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had totally forgotten he had that case.

And now a wild Abyss appears. One of the worst characters in wrestling today, at least from a look perspective.

Using friend Alucard's ROH reviews as my template and inspiration, I'm going to watch Lucha Underground (S01E01) and give everyone my honest opinion on the impending Wednesday Night War.

Stay tuned, friends.

Depending on how you score it on the FnP scale, I might have to watch it as well, friend.
Please score it badly.

strobogo

Banned
Saw Lou Thesz on MSNBC. Didn't know he was so racist.
pat-buchanan-msnbc-no-more-thumb-640xauto-5337.jpg

Vylash

Been running avast for the past hour or so on my laptop, so actually been fast forwarding through Raw with the extra time to kill. First time in 3-4 weeks. Up to the main event now. I barely remember anything good that has happened on this show. So much throwaway stuff. And nothing involving the Divas has been good on this show. Skipped through the whole Paige match.

Things I like from this episode:

-Ryback (great look, clear and easy to understand lines and motivations, good acting for his character)
-Rusev (just really fun to watch and has a presence like few others)
-Ambrose and Wyatt promos (much better than Jericho and Wyatt so far, but these guys still speak in abstractions too much. They need something tangible to care about)

That's...about it. Cena bores me, Hunter and Steph even bury heels, Ziggler isn't going anywhere, Paige and AJ make no sense, etc.

what about friend kofi?

Heel

"What do you know about Lucha Libre?"

Under the tutelage of reality television legend Mark Burnett, WMAC Masters is back and more Mexican than ever.

The Linkin Park cover band shreds. Paid attendees stand in applause for something they've never seen before. This is Lucha Underground, where the lighting is dim and the on-screen talent displays their neck tattoos with pride.

I'm five minutes in and I'm already losing the will to continue. To the matches?

Blue Demon Jr. vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Talent comes down concrete stairs for their entrance, the ring is already (intentionally?) dirty in their first episode, and the ref has an arm cast. This. Is. Indy Wrestling.

Wow, Blue Demon Jr. just slapped the piss out of Chavo, sending a reverberation of grown man shit to echo throughout the seedy Lucha warehouse. I appreciate the how the match has been mic'ed, though it has likely been aided by a silent crowd and an, uh, "arena" constructed out of tin siding.

They just cut to a desk camera shot that is framed around color commentator Matt Striker flicking a pen.

Chavo just hit one of the laziest Lucha flippy shits I have ever seen, spilling the pair to the concrete warehouse floor that commentary is now framing as a "dirty, dingy temple." I don't know how long I can do this.

Blue Demon Jr. touches the rope and Chavo instantly falls off the top turnbuckle. I'm going to fast-forward now. Oh wait, that was the build towards the finisher. It is over now, and the 1000 year old Demon has won.

FnP Rating: 2/10 - Watch Blue Demon Jr. smack the soul out of Chavo, then stop watching.

Vignette
Holy shit, CONAN is down with the Lucha? "Right here, from this barrio." Orale, holmes. I'm bout this. My man has been hittin' the flan hard since WCW though, yikes.

FnP: 10/10 - It's Conan.

Back from break
After three years of absence, it's the anticipated of...Johnny Mundo, who is now doing pull-ups. I don't know who this is.

FnP: 0/10 - I'm not one to judge a man based on his pull-up form, but at this point I don't fuck with "Johnny Mundo."

Vignette
Conan is back, sittin' with a cane like a a Don telling me about Lucha culture. Now he's in the temple telling "Prince Puma" to "fight like he's done for his whole life, like in the streets."

FnP: Conan/10

I'm going to stop watching now, but hey man, Conan posted up in a Kangol? I endorse this shit.

Reaching the eyes of over 8,000 fans in the coveted 18-49 male demographic in its first episode, Lucha Underground has solified itself as an upstart professional wrestling organization that WWE simply cannot ignore.

Heel

I just realized it's "Konnan" and not "Conan" but I'm going to leave it like that because the idea of Conan O'Brien posted up in a Kangol is just too awesome of a visual to erase from my memory.

DiscoJon

Banned
I know I'm gonna get some heat backstage for this, but I gotta get it off my chest.

I can't stand the term "Fun and Playful." It's the Wrasslegaf equivalent of the gaming side Banderas gif meme.

Reaching the eyes of over 8,000 fans in the coveted 18-49 male demographic in its first episode, Lucha Underground has solified itself as an upstart professional wrestling organization that WWE simply cannot ignore.

I appreciate the FnP review, friend, saves me from watching this crap. Please tell me whenever they get Grumpy Cat up in this bitch.

I know I'm gonna get some heat backstage for this, but I gotta get it off my chest.

I can't stand the term "Fun and Playful." It's the Wrasslegaf equivalent of the gaming side Banderas gif meme.

Fuck you.

Vylash

this post has a fun and playful rating of 0, try again, friend

Alucard

Banned
Heel, thank you for your unbiased review of Lucha Underground episode 1. I appreciate another perspective on this upstart promotion.

Those production values tho.

Alucard

Banned
Since watching Raw and Impact tonight, I've fallen into a pseudo-depression where I'm left wondering why I spend my time on this type of frivolity.

I then popped in Breath of Fire III into my PS2 for some reason and realized the game looked ancient and moved at a snail's pace.

Fuck. I should just spend time focusing on my wife n daughter n trying to do some writing or something creative in my off time.

This little dip back into the TNA and WWE pool has been an important reminder that anything more than 2-3 hours of wrestling a week is simply not sustainable over a long period of time.

After the last Impact on Spike next week, I think I'll exclusively stick to Lucha Underground, ROH, and the occasional good stuff I read about online or in this community.

So much of wrestling is just garbage entertainment. Dammit.

Top Bottom