• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

Guzim

The 2014 "How did they fuck that up?" list:

-Bray Wyatt (momentum stalled by Cena)
-Bo Dallas (could have been a great dual personality character with anger issues and delusions of his status in the company)
-Ryback (gets big reactions, cuts good promos for his character, has a great look, seems to be getting a push...aaaaaand HALT as Survivor Series)
-Cesaro (Mania XXX hype hype hype!...Let's make him heel and associate him with Heyman for some reason)

Bo Dallas always sucked.

Bo Dallas did indeed suck, but I think they could have made something more of the whole motivational speaker deal - instead of him being an outright comedy character from the start, they should have had him inspire and turn around the careers of failing superstars and then create a stable of wrestlers that he's 'saved'. Would have been an interesting parallel to the Wyatt family, both would be presented as cultish, but also directly opposed in their goals. Bray & Bo feud over their idealogical differences and, somewhere along the way, you realise that Bo & his Bolievers are actually the true heels of the feud.

Browny

Banned
It's a tough call between Wyatt and Cesaro - but I think they fucked up Cesaro just a little bit more. That pop he got at WM was huge, and should have been the stepping stone up to the main event. Whether or not he should have been put with Heyman is sadly a moot point now.

Both should be up there now, and neither really stand a chance before WM 31.

LegitimateHelpfulBarebirdbat.gif

I have nothing against her but this just pissed me off.

do not do the yes chant if you are not daniel bryan. I'm even starting to hate the chant when bryan does it now.

raw last monday was hella dumb. waste of a return.

should have swapped sting with d bryan at the PPV and not had Bryan on RAW.

now hornswoggle is GM again? uh okay...

-Cesaro (Mania XXX hype hype hype!...Let's make him heel and associate him with Heyman for some reason)

people in here were in support of this.

it was a terrible idea but it would have at least worked if they kept them together and kept building him as a heel.

they depushed him though for some reason.

iMax

I have nothing against her but this just pissed me off.

do not do the yes chant if you are not daniel bryan. I'm even starting to hate the chant when bryan does it now.

raw last monday was hella dumb. waste of a return.

should have swapped sting with d bryan at the PPV and not had Bryan on RAW.

now hornswoggle is GM again? uh okay...

people in here were in support of this.

it was a terrible idea but it would have at least worked if they kept them together and kept building him as a heel.

they depushed him though for some reason.

no

jred2k

The 2014 "How did they fuck that up?" list:
-Ryback (gets big reactions, cuts good promos for his character, has a great look, seems to be getting a push...aaaaaand HALT as Survivor Series)

Ryback is fucking terrible as a singles competitor. He was enjoyable as part of Rybaxel because he wasn't on screen a whole lot and only had to work about 1/3 of a match. Having to carry a match or promo without a tag partner to work with exposes him as the lack of talent he is. His face persona is the exact same as his heel persona. Why am I supposed to like a guy that bullies a nearly 50 year old man and makes shitty "You forgot your nuts!" jokes? I've seen exactly one Ryback single match I've liked and that's because Cesaro carried the whole thing.

Go back and watch the matches from his feud with Cena and try telling me he deserves to be someone at the top of the card.

joelseph

Ryback is fucking terrible as a singles competitor. He was enjoyable as part of Rybaxel because he wasn't on screen a whole lot and only had to work about 1/3 of a match. Having to carry a match or promo without a tag partner to work with exposes him as the lack of talent he is. His face persona is the exact same as his heel persona. Why am I supposed to like a guy that bullies a nearly 50 year old man and makes shitty "You forgot your nuts!" jokes? I've seen exactly one Ryback single match I've liked and that's because Cesaro carried the whole thing.

Go back and watch the matches from his feud with Cena and try telling me he deserves to be someone at the top of the card.

But he is funny in small doses! Who else could they pair him with that would work?

December's Dragon Gate shows are up for pre-order, we're getting the two Korakuen shows on 12/3 and 12/16, then Final Gate itself on 12/28;

secure.live.nicovideo.jp/event/dragongate

Here's the card for next week's Korakuen event;

1. Jimmy Kanda, Jimmy Kagetora & Mr. Quu Quu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin vs Punch Tominaga, Dr Muscle & Mondai Ryu
2. Yosuke=Santa Maria & Flamita vs 'Mr High Tension' Kotoka & Yuga Hayashi
3. Ryo 'Jimmy' Saito, Don Fujii, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! & Jimmy Susumu vs Masato Yoshino, K-ness, Kenichiro Arai & Super Shisa
4. YAMAKong vs Dragon Kid & Big R Shimizu
5. Akira Tozawa & Shingo Takagi vs Masaaki Mochizuki & BxB Hulk
6. Open the Twin Gate Championship: CIMA & Gamma © vs T-Hawk & Eita

Also, here's what's announced for Final Gate so far;

. Open the Twin Gate Championship: Winner of Osaka06/Millennials from 12/3 © vs YAMAKong
. Open the Dream Gate Championship: BxB Hulk © vs Shingo Takagi
Fucking incredible cards. Too bad it's so hard to get DG to play and no DVDs. IVPvidoes and RudoReels what do anything about it......

Gabe told me a couple weeks ago that the EVOLVE reboot DVDs should be up for sale on Black Friday.

Alucard

Banned
Bo Dallas always sucked.

Bo Dallas' character has a toooon of storytelling potential. But they barely scratched the surface of it.

-do pre-recorded segments of him doing motivational speeches across the US...and people leaving during his talks
-continue the story of him having anger management problems and beating up on guys smaller than him
-have him break down because people don't listen to him...or just get really angry and pissy when people don't
-create a stable of lower/mid-carders who wear BO LIEVE shirts and are coached by Bo...could do more pre-recorded segments with this

Alucard

Banned

He had a really good hoss match against Sheamus this year too.

I just think he's fresh, over with the fans, and that he's a believable destroyer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently he didn't get immediately checked out because he didn't realise anything was wrong - Tanahashi was at his side moments after the match finished, but Yoshi said he was fine so they went ahead and did the spot with Jarrett breaking his guitar over Tatsu's head. He also said he felt in pain in the days after, but didn't say anything and wanted to work through it - that's the problem here, the Japanese mentality to keep working. It's the reason so many New Japan wrestlers work when banged up, rather than taking the time off to heal. Ishii is a prime example. And Tanahashi, for that matter.

Yall need to stop giving Americans shit for working when dying. This is the same concept!

Guzim

If I don't see "I love it!!" I don't believe you.

"Hey, that's Shawn Michaels, Mr. WrestleMania, a Hall of Famer, a 3 time WWE Champion, a 1 time World Heavyweight Champion, a 3 time Intercontinental Champion, a 1 time European champion, a 5 time World Tag Team Champion, the first ever Grand Slam Champion, and the first man to win the Royal Rumble at the number 1 spot! I love it, Maggle! HA HA HA!!!"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would honestly like to know if there was a drastic change in the writing team staff immediately after Mania. Many things got discarded or ignored that they were obviously building to.

bjork

In this supercard update, there's a Mizdow card.

There's also the Giant Swing animation.

I think this counter reset thing they added for pulls is not actually improving a drop rate, even if they say so.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When the stock dipped I'm sure Vince thought he needs to get more involved.

It's cute how you believe that.

Really though, I mean, leave Bryan and his bad fortunes out of it - Cesaro went from a very strong babyface who won this VERY important trophy to a heel with Heyman - and let's be honest, Heyman has been a kiss of death for anyone not named Brock Lesnar. Everything was seemingly aborted.

WWE -has- managed to build three very credible and young main eventers in the Shield, and Bray Wyatt still can do it. He's definitely one of my favorite dudes to watch, even though a lot of people tire of his promos (JAAAAAHN) he's fascinating and fun to watch and between himself and Ambrose, they bring a lot of different style (still feeling WWE-built though) into the promotion.

Long story short, they've been building new people, and we're gonna get our cocks and make it reign in this bitch. Baleedat.

Fox318

Really though, I mean, leave Bryan and his bad fortunes out of it - Cesaro went from a very strong babyface who won this VERY important trophy to a heel with Heyman - and let's be honest, Heyman has been a kiss of death for anyone not named Brock Lesnar. Everything was seemingly aborted.

WWE -has- managed to build three very credible and young main eventers in the Shield, and Bray Wyatt still can do it. He's definitely one of my favorite dudes to watch, even though a lot of people tire of his promos (JAAAAAHN) he's fascinating and fun to watch and between himself and Ambrose, they bring a lot of different style (still feeling WWE-built though) into the promotion.

Long story short, they've been building new people, and we're gonna get our cocks and make it reign in this bitch. Baleedat.

Man everyone knows what happened to Cesaro.

Guy is a fantastic worker so Vince had him and Ziggler job for guys that they thought were more marketable to the mouth breathing k-mart shopping obese mobility scooter riding Cena parents that Vince sees as his only audience.

If Cesaro was born in Connecticut he would have had the world Championship by now.

DMczaf

I'm rewatching Roman Reigns' shitty interview at Survivor Series, he even fucks up cheap pops

"But I'd feel feel a wh--whole lot better if I was there with you guys tonight in the Lou St Louis!"

Xater

I'm rewatching Roman Reigns' shitty interview at Survivor Series, he even fucks up cheap pops

"But I'd feel feel a wh--whole lot better if I was there with you guys tonight in the Lou St Louis!"

He seems to be a nice guy, has a good look and is a company man, but boy is he not ready for what they want from him.

Interesting short film about the growing trend of intergender matches in indie wrestling;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQTA5TAcwA

Thoughts on this? I'm not so keen when companies use it as a special attraction sort of gimmick (hell, in the film Greg Excellent likens it to a spectacle like bear wrestling), but when it evolves more naturally and is part of a storyline (such as with Veda Scott in AIW, Heidi Lovelace in AAW and Kimber Lee in Beyond) I find myself much more receptive to it. There's also the believability issue, which is a definite turn-off for a lot of fans, but I think promoters that book intergender wrestling are becoming increasingly aware of this and are starting to figure out which wrestlers to use or not use for intergender matches.

joelseph

Heidi is everywhere. They should start booking her like another one of the guys, she goes better than a lot of the AAW team already. I really enjoyed her stand in match against Ophidian last summer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting short film about the growing trend of intergender matches in indie wrestling;

Thoughts on this? I'm not so keen when companies use it as a special attraction sort of gimmick (hell, in the film Greg Excellent likens it to a spectacle like bear wrestling), but when it evolves more naturally and is part of a storyline (such as with Veda Scott in AIW, Heidi Lovelace in AAW and Kimber Lee in Beyond) I find myself much more receptive to it. There's also the believability issue, which is a definite turn-off for a lot of fans, but I think promoters that book intergender wrestling are becoming increasingly aware of this and are starting to figure out which wrestlers to use or not use for intergender matches.

I haven't watched it but these are good points. I feel gross when Minoru Suzuki slaps the shit out of women for 20 minutes because that's appealing to something I'm not. I'm concerned about some of the intergender tapping into the lowest common denominator of an attraction to get people to see men beat up women.

Intergender CAN be done right and some promotions are doing it right. Sometimes it's tough to know at a glance and realize you wandered into a match you have no interest in seeing, with a creepy fuckass crowd.

Xater

I have in theory no problem with intergender matches, but I do have a problem if the story always boils down to man putting down weak woman, fight ensues. That is already played out.

And I am with Sunny that the attraction aspect of just being there to see women being beat up is also a concern.

Fox318

How is it that they view him as the future and they do absolutely nothing to protect him?

I'll tell you whats going to happen.

His first 5 matches back will be this

1. Winner 2015 Royal Rumble
  2. Elimination Chamber
  3. 1 raw before Mania
  4. Reigns beats Lesnar in a match where Lesnar sells way to much and news leaks about him leaving for UFC the day before.
  5. Raw after Mania he drops the title to Cena on Cena's recommendation

Then Reigns will be in the mid-card until they try to revive his push by having him beat Kevin Nash at SummerSlam.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There are like 5 or so people that do intergender matches very well.

The rest are junk

Why? Is it the booking? Is it the story? Is it the talent? The believability? What turns you off from some of those?

Boots, I think that documentary might be worth making a topic in OT about intergender fights. Could catch some sweet bans too from some meathead shitlords too.

Why? Is it the booking? Is it the story? Is it the talent? The believability? What turns you off from some of those?

Boots, I think that documentary might be worth making a topic in OT about intergender fights. Could catch some sweet bans too from some meathead shitlords too.

Being a good women's wrestler doesn't always translate to good intergender. It's a talent/skill set thing.

Basically it's Heidi, Mia, Kimber, Veda, and a few others. Veda worked because of the storyline though. The rest either haven't had the opportunity or it just doesn't work.

Also oh god no banbaits

BronsonLee said:
Being a good women's wrestler doesn't always translate to good intergender. It's a talent/skill set thing.

Basically it's Heidi, Mia, Kimber, Veda, and a few others. Veda worked because of the storyline though. The rest either haven't had the opportunity or it just doesn't work.

That's a good point and I agree on Veda, a lot of her offence looks really weak, especially her kicks, but the storyline made it believable. Her opponent as well, I guess.

Hah, feel free, I don't want to get caught in a position of having to defend indie wrestling in the OT. Almost made that mistake with the deathmatch thread earlier in the year, lol.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's always weird to me when Sunny has this hard-on for trying to get people banned for being shitlords or whatever considering how many times that dude's been banned.

Top Bottom