• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

Xater

It's weird how much of Cesaro's career is made up of what we hope they do with him. Remember when we hoped they would reunite the kings of wrestling when they had hero? when we hoped he would be the one to stay with Zeb? what we hoped they did with him after wm?

Crushing hope and dreams is what WWE does.

Fox318

c5Gtyhv.gif

An open letter from Lionheart to AJ Styles calling for him to stop using the Styles Clash;

https://www.facebook.com/PWPonderings/posts/897444173612531

"put all pride, ego, blame aside, and acknowledge that irrelevant of fault, circumstance or anything else, the move is a direct risk and a danger to the safety and well being of your fellow wrestler"

Kinda difficult to argue with. The fault may directly lie with the wrestlers who have been injured taking the move, but the fact that it keeps happening begs the question; is it really worth it? It's not like Styles doesn't have a half dozen other finishing moves in his war crate; springboard 450, spiral tap, Bloody Sunday, hollow point, calf killer, etc. Any one of them would be a suitable replacement.

RP912

Banned
I don't understand how the styles clash can cause injuries. From the outside it looks like a wrestler getting planted on his face with well protection.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
An open letter from Lionheart to AJ Styles calling for him to stop using the Styles Clash;

"put all pride, ego, blame aside, and acknowledge that irrelevant of fault, circumstance or anything else, the move is a direct risk and a danger to the safety and well being of your fellow wrestler"

Kinda difficult to argue with. The fault may directly lie with the wrestlers who have been injured taking the move, but the fact that it keeps happening begs the question; is it really worth it? It's not like Styles doesn't have a half dozen other finishing moves in his war crate; springboard 450, spiral tap, Bloody Sunday, hollow point, calf killer, etc. Any one of them would be a suitable replacement.

Sure, he COULD, but stupid Bronson would get his way AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.

jred2k

God damn, Black Culture Thread had someone's account completely nuked. Dude is in the 5th dimension now.

Streets are hot.

Sunflower and SoulPlaya are lucky the GWF/UFC crossover special isn't archived anywhere. They'd be in the ether now too for 'unfavourable' results.

I don't blame AJ for what has happened. But if he continues to do it and injures yet another person, I'm going to start blaming him. I think the decent thing to do would be to stop using it. Two broken necks and all.

I don't understand how the styles clash can cause injuries. From the outside it looks like a wrestler getting planted on his face with well protection.

It's just a matter of instinct and muscle memory on the part of the wrestler taking the move - they're taught to tuck their head on almost every bump and, while they're almost certainly aware that they need to keep their neck straight to take the styles clash, sometimes that can all go out of the window in the heat of the moment.

All of the Styles Clash injuries have been in the past year or so right?

There have been a number of incidents in the past. Kaz in 2003, Corey Graves in 2006 and I'm pretty sure Jack Evans took a fucked on one around that time as well, but Jack's made of rubber anyways.

Are you saying he should stop doing the Styles Clash because it's too dangerous and should use a fucking ganso bomb instead?

It's not quite a ganso bomb and, so far, AJ seems to have lifted people high enough before the move so that actually spiking their head isn't very likely.

Graves was around '05/'06, Kazarian before that, and I think Roddy was a while ago as well.

Yeah, Roddy took a messed up one in 2005, iirc. As well as the one on ROH TV earlier this year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower and SoulPlaya are lucky the GWF/UFC crossover special isn't archived anywhere. They'd be in the ether now too for 'unfavourable' results.

Yep, it's gone. Soulplaya KOed the fuck out of Evilore. That was a fun crossover. Blackace also got beat down.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's not quite a ganso bomb and, so far, AJ seems to have lifted people high enough before the move so that actually spiking their head isn't very likely.

He hasn't used it that often. You're saying he lifts people high enough, but I'm also saying he does everything right for the styles clash too yet he's being told to change it. As soon as he starts doing that move, he'd be told to change that too because somebody else took it wrong.

Yep, it's gone. Soulplaya KOed the fuck out of Evilore. That was a fun crossover. Blackace also got beat down.

And I made Bish tap out(even though I was unfairly taken off tv by management so they could keep pushing Heavy and part-time posters) so what I'm hearing is we could all beat up the mods.

He hasn't used it that often. You're saying he lifts people high enough, but I'm also saying he does everything right for the styles clash too yet he's being told to change it.

Yes, but with the Styles Clash his opponents safety is entirely out of his hands once he leaves the ground - even if he does everything right, they could still take it wrong. The hollow point is much more about AJ's timing with the drop and the height he's got the opponent held at - it's obviously a dangerous-ass move, so yeah, perhaps not best for his new standard finisher, but the opponent's safety seems much more in AJ's hands than it does with the Styles Clash.

Sure, he COULD, but stupid Bronson would get his way AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.

I always win in the end!

RE: Hollow Point, it's safer because they know it's a head drop. The problem with the Clash is that it's a face bump that can go real wrong, since AJ controls every aspect of it except the head/neck.

It could be a talent thing too; AJ being back on Tue indies after nearly a decade away does that to a move, especially since he's the only one that does it, and he very rarely will go over it with who is taking it (I saw this from experience)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And I made Bish tap out(even though I was unfairly taken off tv by management so they could keep pushing Heavy and part-time posters) so what I'm hearing is we could all beat up the mods.

I just remembered that Bish ended up white in UFC somehow. What a mistake.

All of the Styles Clash injuries have been in the past year or so right?

Yeah that's what I find odd. He did it for 10+ years in TNA without any incident, but now he's working with new people it seems to be happening every 4 months or so :\

EDIT

I had no idea about the ones happening outside of TNA, sorry!

Xater

Eh I don't care if AJ would change his finisher. The Styles Clash is unique but not that cool. The setup always looks awkward.

RP912

Banned
Eh I don't care if AJ would change his finisher. The Styles Clash is unique but not that cool. The setup always looks awkward.

Indeed. The move just looks bland as hell compared to his other moves. I rather see him just do a 360 splash which seems like his most perfected move that's actually believable tbh.

from Botchamania fan page

Styles Clash Kill Sheet...
Frankie Kazarian (NWA:TNA, July 2 2003)
Steve Stone (IWA-MS, 2004)
Sterling James Keenan (1PW, March 4th 2006)
Roderick Strong (ROH, February 1st 2014)
Lionheart (PCW, March 1st 2014)
Yoshi Tatsu (NJPW, November 8th 2014)

10150681_899249856752735_3745327464190113804_n.png

bjork

The guy hooking his arms is what always looks awkward as shit. I like my moves more where a dude is just picked up and thrown somewhere without cooperating.

bjork

gifs of shit like this make me want to go watch old WWF shit before jumping was invented. Rest holds and clotheslines or whatever.

Xater

This is GOAT tier Styles Clash setup:
2o76LYT.gif

This one looks good but I feel like it's not always this smooth. I don#t really care either way if he changes his finisher or not. Just wouldn't be super bummed out of anything if he decides to quit the Styles Clash.

Top Bottom