• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

kiguel182

Punk saying he's a draw in this podcast and him saying he knocked it out of the park and all I can think of is the Summerslam 2011 numbers. I don't remember, was it good or bad? Cause I sort of remember the latter.

PPV numbers are in decline, it has nothing to do with Punk.

He also said he sold more merch than Cena until he turned heel to face the Rock.

Ithil

Here are the final Buyrates:

2011: 311,000
2012: 392,000
2013: 332,000

He was not the draw he thought he was. Money in the bank didn't do gangbusters as well. Insider references don't draw as well as we think. Though his greater growth was screwed up with the Nash and Triple H stuff. I remember Meltzer always going after him for not being a draw and his rant about his drawing power after his return match against Jericho not doing well.

The 2012 had a fresh Brock whose drawing power was still strong. Plus 2011 was like a month after Punk got into the main event, it takes a long long time to actually build a guy as a draw and WWE completely screwed that build up.

Hasney

2011: 311,000 (Cena vs Punk)
2012: 392,000 (Triple H vs Brock)
2013: 332,000 (Punk vs Brock) and (Bryan vs Cena)

He was not the draw he thought he was. Money in the bank didn't do gangbusters as well. Insider references don't draw as well as we think. Though his greater growth was screwed up with the Nash and Triple H stuff. I remember Meltzer always going after him for not being a draw and his rant about his drawing power after his return match against Jericho not doing well.

Just shows that people are morons. Christian walked in as WHC as well, so it quite clearly should have been the biggest PPV of all time.

kiguel182

Are we back on this "he is not a draw" discussion? It might even be more dumb than the "is Bryan over" thing.

He sold more merch than fucking Cena. The fact that a PPV with Brock Lesnar drew better numbers than him doesn't mean he isn't a draw.

HHH and Lesnar had years of build and good booking that punk never had. It's not even comparable.

But whatever some people will hate on Punk no matter what.

BROK WINS

kiguel182

The 2012 had a fresh Brock whose drawing power was still strong. Plus 2011 was like a month after Punk got into the main event, it takes a long long time to actually build a guy as a draw and WWE completely screwed that build up.

According to some people if you aren't bringing record numbers as soon as you get over then you are a failure and a mid carder.

I wonder if the convoluted bullshit that happened after mitb had anything to do with the SS 2011 buys

That and the fact that the casual viewer would be turned off by punk, considering the WWE's commentary team and management really hammered the point that Punk was a cowardly whiny quitter.

UberTag

hope the cm punk chants get louder after all this now
Yeah, because that's what outraged fans should do.
Pay money for terrible, overlong TV tapings (just like strobogo did this week) just to shit on the product on live television.
That'll show the WWE.

Frankly, I hope they DON'T do that.

They achieve nothing but dut to drop the stock of whoever is in the ring not named Cena and in Aj Lee's case, to further justify the outdated and sexist attitude that Vince already has

Seriously Rhonda Rousey is outdrawing them and one of the most,recognizable celebs . WWE,would,be dumb to bot do,something with here at mania.

Shell probably,debut in PWG INSTESD lol

Punk believes he's what the casual cares about? That I have to disagree with because if the casual fan cares about anything, it's the Rock/Brock whenever he was feuding with. Which sucks because they SHOULD be building around the guy who'll be there the next night.

Punk believes he's what the casual cares about? That I have to disagree with because if the casual fan cares about anything, it's the Rock/Brock whenever he was feuding with.

Think,is was in reference to all,the attention to pipebomb got. It was on the front page of espn.

Really bought a lot of eyes ok

for a week

Ithil

Punk believes he's what the casual cares about? That I have to disagree with because if the casual fan cares about anything, it's the Rock/Brock whenever he was feuding with. Which sucks because they SHOULD be building around the guy who'll be there the next night.

No, he said WWE cares about the casual fan, and their booking of him was killing his stock with said casual fans. Thus damaging his stock with WWE.

Heel

Much like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk is "over" with a demographic that cannot afford to purchase pay-per-views. The safety net will always be John Sina, who brings in a wholesome, family-based clientele.

In other news

B3eZf80CcAEzsim.png

Aiii

So not worth it
So,John cena is why the network is failing?
Cena, through no fault of his own, is very much why WWE had been on a downward trend for years, yes.

All in all, their booking and focus on one guy is their biggest mistake over the past decade. As Punk said, how many guys on the roster right now have main evented Mania? Cena, Bryan and Orton?

Cena, through no fault of his own, is very much why WWE had been on a downward trend for years, yes.

All in all, their booking and focus on one guy is their biggest mistake over the past decade. As Punk said, how many guys on the roster right now have main evented Mania? Cena, Bryan and Orton?

There was Miz but I wouldn't want to count him either.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
running the ropes for a concussion test sums up the whole thing really.

Alucard

Banned
Chants that I would like to hear in arenas after this interview:

-Dumb as fuck! Dumb as fuck! Dumb as fuck! (for Ryback)
-Get a Union! *clap, clap, clap-clap-clap*
-See a re-al doc-tor! *clap, clap, clap-clap-clap* (after injury or what looks like a concussion in the ring)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
also maybe cm punk can be the raw gm so he has time to heal lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Au contraire, friends, at this point John Sina and his paying fans are the only thing keeping WWE alive.

Bryan and Punk fans are the type to binge watch the entire library during the free month of November, complain about the lack of Harley Race matches, never to subscribe again.

So friend Heel, are you still subscribed?

Into

What Punk thinks he deserved is really not all that interesting. Because regardless of whether he earned a WM main event, the real story are the two clowns running the company

What is interesting is just how shitty of a job Hunter seems to be doing and how out of touch Vince is.

For 20-30 years people said George Lucas was a genius and everyone loved him. Then people found out that without the right people under him, he turned to outright dogshit. The same can be said of Vince.

RP912

Banned
What Punk thinks he deserved is really not all that interesting. Because regardless of whether he earned a WM main event, the real story are the two clowns running the company

What is interesting is just how shitty of a job Hunter seems to be doing and how out of touch Vince is.

For 20-30 years people said George Lucas was a genius and everyone loved him. Then people found out that without the right people under him, he turned to outright dogshit. The same can be said of Vince.

Even during vince's heyday...he received flack as well by not only some of the fans but promoters. Hence Black Saturday.

Top Bottom