• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

somedevil

Hearing about dead set they were on Batista vs. Orton until they had no choice basically, makes me think we're getting Lesnar vs. Reigns no matter what. There's really no one else the crowd can get behind and hijack the show to get them to change their minds.

Maybe Ambrose, but I feel like he's maybe a year away from really exploding and hopefully getting his WM moment.

Reigns doesn't have that level of backlash yet. If Bryan comes back at the rumble then a problem will arise. Knowing them Reigns will throw him out making things worse.

Bowser

Reigns doesn't have that level of backlash yet. If Bryan comes back at the rumble then a problem will arise. Knowing them Reigns will throw him out making things worse.

The only reason Reigns doesn't have that level of backlash is because he got that hernia which has kept him off TV and out of fans throats for a couple of months.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Hearing about dead set they were on Batista vs. Orton until they had no choice basically, makes me think we're getting Lesnar vs. Reigns no matter what. There's really no one else the crowd can get behind and hijack the show to get them to change their minds.

Maybe Ambrose, but I feel like he's maybe a year away from really exploding and hopefully getting his WM moment.
Ziggler maybe?

Haha, I know, like that would ever happen.

TL21xx

Banned
Sunny Mac, we demand it again!

Anyways, regardless of the outcome, this is a PR nightmare for the WWE, especially with them trying to appeal to the base to stick with/get on the network. If Vince doesn't learn from this, I certainly hope Hunter will. I want to believe he has a much more level head when it comes to the business, and there are clearly aspects he wants to see change thanks to the performance center and what we've seen from NXT. I wouldn't doubt that the toxic environment in main roster is a big part of why Hunter has been cautious to send any of his boys up, especially since those he has (Shield being a pseudo-exception, since they're technically FCW holdovers) have run into some major road blocks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly the WWE should only be concerned about their medical issues. That's the only real blowback here. Nothing else is important. Marks want to be like "yeah he WAS mistreated! Fuck HHH!" And will buy the Mania 32 for the match before the main event.

This is all so perfectly orchestrated. Marks like me want to believe it's planned out, because it would be so. Much. Goddamn. Fun.

Punk isn't worth Taker or Cena or Lesnar pay. We all truly know that.

Getting legit shook at these old Bionic posts

iAQvyuZWifKUq.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I want someone to have that Hogan tweet as their tag.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Honestly the WWE should only be concerned about their medical issues. That's the only real blowback here. Nothing else is important. Marks want to be like "yeah he WAS mistreated! Fuck HHH!" And will buy the Mania 32 for the match before the main event.

This is all so perfectly orchestrated. Marks like me want to believe it's planned out, because it would be so. Much. Goddamn. Fun.

I agree with this. As much as creative is a problem, it's a very "subjective" problem, and nothing a former employee says will change that.

But the medical things can potentially cripple their business far worse than the network failing will.

Suffice to say, I expect the next release that WWE will come to terms with might just be good 'ol Dr Amann.

If he isn't worth that pay, then why bother gassing Punk up by saying he had the MotN? Just say he had a good match instead of trying to make him believe something that isn't true.

I saw people saying Cesaro tweeted about the Podcast earlier, but it's not on his timeline. I guess he deleted it? I'm more worried about Cesaro getting punished than anything else.

I saw people saying Cesaro tweeted about the Podcast earlier, but it's not on his timeline. I guess he deleted it? I'm more worried about Cesaro getting punished than anything else.

How could he possibly be punished more?

He already jobs every week on TV and once a month on "Special Events"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If he isn't worth that pay, then why bother gassing Punk up by saying he had the MotN? Just say he had a good match instead of trying to make him believe something that isn't true.
Still could have been MotN, but the PPV buys happen before the match even goes on. It's just an investment for the next year, or month, or whatever. Did Punk have the MotN at that Mania? I can't remember the card.

Still could have been MotN, but the PPV buys happen before the match even goes on. It's just an investment for the next year, or month, or whatever. Did Punk have the MotN at that Mania? I can't remember the card.

At WM 28?...yeah kinda it wasn't a good mania

At WM 29?...yeah kinda it wasn't a good mania

I'll give Rock/Cena I the benefit of the doubt for having a big fight feel

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only time Punk had the best match at a mania was arguably XXIX when DA UNDATAKER dragged his skinny fat ass to a pretty decent match on an otherwise dreadful card.

Hasney

Easily. Wrestlemania 29 was such a shit show that it was the first one I didn't watch live in quite a few years. Think the only competition was Swagger/Del Rio and the tag title match. Everything else sucked.

How could he possibly be punished more?

He already jobs every week on TV and once a month on "Special Events"

Getting released?

I know you guys are all "Let's watch indies!" and shit, but I'm a WWE fan. If Cesaro went to NJPW or Chikara or GFW or something I wouldn't get to see him anymore.

I have watched a few episodes of LU though and it's pretty great.

Aiii

So not worth it

I do not know who this Mark guy is, but I'm sure I will be subbed to the Network for a while. However, Mania will probably do its worst number in years thanks to the Network and the lack of starpower compared to other years, WWE will continue to lose money and more importantly audience for the next years too. All in all, Punk being there would have helped the company and had they only treated him better, both medically and booking wise, they would have been better off as a company and we would have had a better show.

Even worse, they haven't learned, they are still only booking long term for Cena and part timers and they aren't building new people, even guys like Bryan still have to "luck" into main event programs, it's ridiculous. Punk telling his story didn't help anyone, true, but it needed to be told if only to confirm what everyone figured already and because its a good insight into WWE's problems by someone who isn't afraid of repercussions.

Getting released?

I know you guys are all "Let's watch indies!" and shit, but I'm a WWE fan. If Cesaro went to NJPW or Chikara or GFW or something I wouldn't get to see him anymore.

I have watched a few episodes of LU though and it's pretty great.

I would think Cesaro getting released would be doing him a favor rather than punishing him.

It would be punishing his fans that love seeing him in a WWE ring but for him personally it wouldn't seem like a bad thing.

Hasney

Since 2011 when I tuned back in, WWE has had at best 3 months of good programming a year, and they're usually non-consecutive. Even when Punk was on top, I enjoyed his match, but there was fuck all else for anyone to do, as always.

I would think Cesaro getting released would be doing him a favor rather than punishing him.

It would be punishing his fans that love seeing him in a WWE ring but for him personally it wouldn't seem like a bad thing.

I'd love it to happen. After getting excited for this Monday and having the first segment be brilliant, it bummed me out the ended with that anonymous GM. I think cutting that WWE cord like a bad habit is best for Hasneys business right now. Never been a better time to do it either.

Looking back, Punk had a dreadful Wrestlemania record. 7 matches total, 4 wins with 3 losses, 3 of those times was MITB which he won twice, two others were grudge matches against Rey and Orton (both lost), his Title defense against Jericho and his loss against Taker. He's effectively spent most of his one-on-one time at Mania putting over guys past their prime.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I do not know who this Mark guy is, but I'm sure I will be subbed to the Network for a while. However, Mania will probably do its worst number in years thanks to the Network and the lack of starpower compared to other years, WWE will continue to lose money and more importantly audience for the next years too. All in all, Punk being there would have helped the company and had they only treated him better, both medically and booking wise, they would have been better off as a company and we would have had a better show.

Even worse, they haven't learned, they are still only booking long term for Cena and part timers and they aren't building new people, even guys like Bryan still have to "luck" into main event programs, it's ridiculous. Punk telling his story didn't help anyone, true, but it needed to be told if only to confirm what everyone figured already and because its a good insight into WWE's problems by someone who isn't afraid of repercussions.

they have done to john cena what they did to punk in a way, they have both dropped the title to a part timer who isnt showing up (Rock in punk's case, Brock in cena's case) wwe clearly learned fuck all from the punk walk out and the reasons he brought to vinces attention.

they have done to john cena what they did to punk in a way, they have both dropped the title to a part timer who isnt showing up (Rock in punk's case, Brock in cena's case) wwe clearly learned fuck all from the punk walk out and the reasons he brought to vinces attention.

Cena is still winning matches in-between, though. Punk basically turned into Jericho with all the guys he put over.

Ithil

The Cena dropping to Brock is for the purposes of putting over Reigns, mind. Which is funny, that's them actually making a plan to "put over a new guy" but it brings no joy to anyone.
They finally decide to try and build a new star, and the guy they pick sucks.

Hasney

I was fine with Brock taking the title since at least you know he'll be back rather than Rocks 3 month thing, especially if anyone gets a clean win over him will look great.

No-one is going to though. They'll balls it up.

Exis

I gotta admit that the Podcast was oddly inspiring to me- Stop doing what's killing you and be happy.

But it is obvious that the WWE does not give a shit about their talent, I feel bad that the guys that kill themselves to entertain me have to put up with working hurt, working too much, running themselves into the ground.

I have been thinking for ages how the signs in NXT showed that HHH was different and that he "got it" but I wonder how much of it is getting them to the point that they can work the WWE schedule?

The entire internet are going to look like idiots when they only bring back the anonymous Raw General Manager for the one show next week to tie in to Cyber Monday.

Ithil

I don't even think anyone would have minded Cena ending Punk's super title reign, at WM 29, by then it would have been over 500 days and certainly worthy of a main event. They had that great match on RAW, transplant that to WM and you'd have a great main event.

The Rock/Cena II program was garbage and so was the match, and what's more it dropped a lot from the monster buyrate of the first.
I gotta admit that the Podcast was oddly inspiring to me- Stop doing what's killing you and be happy.

But it is obvious that the WWE does not give a shit about their talent, I feel bad that the guys that kill themselves to entertain me have to put up with working hurt, working too much, running themselves into the ground.

I have been thinking for ages how the signs in NXT showed that HHH was different and that he "got it" but I wonder how much of it is getting them to the point that they can work the WWE schedule?

To be far, it appears most of Punk's issues with HHH are on a personal level, not a booking one. His booking problems were with Vince. He and HHH just never got on and HHH was always a dick to him.
HHH did learn from Vince but at the same time he's the guy that overhauled the developmental (including changes to how they train that makes them safer in the ring). No doubt that on the main roster the medical department is shady and forgets the rules whne it comes to money making guys, but overall I can't not see an improvement coming when HHH is in charge.

Well, as long as you are an NXT graduate that is. I think all the non-top stars who are pre-NXT guys like Ziggler, Sheamus, etc, are pretty much screwed. HHH is probably only going to want to push guys that he hired and that learned under him.

I don't even think anyone would have minded Cena ending Punk's super title reign, at WM 29, by then it would have been over 500 days and certainly worthy of a main event. They had that great match on RAW, transplant that to WM and you'd have a great main event.

The Rock/Cena II program was garbage and so was the match, and what's more it dropped a lot from the monster buyrate of the first.

It's an infuriating policy that when WWE catches lightning in a bottle, their first instinct isn't to ride the momentum into something bigger they just beat it into the ground

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Cena is still winning matches in-between, though. Punk basically turned into Jericho with all the guys he put over.

i get that but going by what punk said on podcast its clear the big problem was the fact that all these part timers coming in taking shit then fucking off for months with no build where as the guy dropping the belt is working his ass of day in day out while that part timers chills on a beach or whatever. its douchey, theres no way john cena is happy jobbing to brock twice and dropping the belt to him and he fucks off and john cena works his ass off still.

and to be frank brock beating taker and john like he did means fuck all now the guy hasnt been there, when and if roman is the guy beating him me personally it wont be huge because brock was so fucking lazy and didnt hype that shit. even if its roman whos going to take the win, itll be paul doing all the promo work no doubt whilst again brock chills on a beach

CM Punk Finally Tells All in Massive 2-Hour Interview: Why He Left WWE, Why Vince McMahon is “Out of Touch” You ain't gonna be rehired after this Phil

Ithil

Part timers are bandaids. You bring them in, they pop a rating or a buyrate, and then they're gone and you've gained nothing but one popped rating. Woah. What about the other 51 weeks of ratings?

Especially when they bring in part timers and have current talent lose to them. So not only are the part timers gone the next day, but you've established that the current talent aren't real stars, the part timers are.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Part timers are bandaids. You bring them in, they pop a rating or a buyrate, and then they're gone and you've gained nothing but one popped rating. Woah. What about the other 51 weeks of ratings?

Especially when they bring in part timers and have current talent lose to them. So not only are the part timers gone the next day, but you've established that the current talent aren't real stars, the part timers are.

yup bringing x star back to hype show (hogan for wrestlemania for instance) is fine in my book but bringing someone back like brock to win a belt and not show up is just taking the credability away from himself and what that belt has, especially after it already losing credibility due to bryan being injured and not being able to defend it.

Omega

Banned
i get that but going by what punk said on podcast its clear the big problem was the fact that all these part timers coming in taking shit then fucking off for months with no build where as the guy dropping the belt is working his ass of day in day out while that part timers chills on a beach or whatever. its douchey, theres no way john cena is happy jobbing to brock twice and dropping the belt to him and he fucks off and john cena works his ass off still.

because John always has something lined up for him? He has the backing of the company and gets anything and everything he wants.

Top Bottom