• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

Alucard

Banned
One more reminder of how Adam Page almost killed Cheeseburger on this week's ROH:

PageDriver.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It takes the wind out of the sails of every win he gets because, if he's ultimately just going to get APPLEDOUGH'd, it's all just to make Cena look better.

still not seeing how this affects enjoyment of Rusev. I think we've just got way different ideas of what makes a wrestler fun to watch

Zach

Sad to say there's benefits to that approach as well. I'll tell you this though, no matter where Rusev goes with it, it's going to a better place than when it was around Sheamus' waist.

There are many current wrestlers I like more than Rusev. That being said, I'm not sure the U.S. Championship means anything on anyone other than Rusev. Seriously. This could be just what the belt needs.

Hopefully WWE doesn't blow it when it comes to picking the guy to beat Rusev. If I had my druthers, Hogan would beat him and reform the nWo. Wait, what?

I wasn't sold on Rusev until him and Big E had those fucking knockdown drag out hoss battles on PPVs.

I got sold on him after he kicked Mojo Rawley right in the fucking face after Rawley talked up America, waved the flag, and ran down to defend it

I got double sold on him when he did the same damn thing to Swagger

still not seeing how this affects enjoyment of Rusev. I think we've just got way different ideas of what makes a wrestler fun to watch

If you think you can already see the end to the story before it even begins, it makes it way less interesting to see play out.

Not that Rusev is any less enjoyable, but that's the issue with the undefeated gimmick these days. Everyone wants to talk about who beats the undefeated guy. Cena seems like an extremely obvious choice. There's people who do not like Cena. Therefore, they can't enjoy the rest of the story.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't sold on Rusev until him and Big E had those fucking knockdown drag out hoss battles on PPVs.

I got sold on him after he kicked Mojo Rawley right in the fucking face after Rawley talked up America, waved the flag, and ran down to defend it

I got double sold on him when he did the same damn thing to Swagger

Good stuff. I do enjoy his matches with bigger dudes, for some reason he's focused on a lot of hoss vs hoss style matches and it's pretty good. Most bigger guys (say, Ryback) couldn't put on the matches Rusev has.

Sephzilla

It affects my enjoyment of Rusev because if his destiny is just to count the lights for Cena, it effectively means Rusev's wins and build up were all not for him but were effectively for Cena. Assuming Cena is the one to end Rusev's streak, part of me wonders if Rusev's entire build up is simply because Cena can't take the streak from Undertaker anymore.

I am totally trying to enjoy Rusev right now, but it's just hard to really get invested in his path since the shadow of Cena keeps looming over him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With one or two exceptions, every streak ends. every championship run ends. it's not a big deal.

He'd still be fun to watch, but imagine what a win over Cena would do for him. If he was the first person to make Cena tap out in 84702847 years that would be massive. Otherwise, he'll lose and just be back to being in the midcard possibly just starting to job to some other face or end up in some stupid comedy gimmick. There's really no reason that Cena can't just do the fucking job for an actual up and comer. Everyone else does.

But it is what it is. Meh.

Good stuff. I do enjoy his matches with bigger dudes, for some reason he's focused on a lot of hoss vs hoss style matches and it's pretty good. Most bigger guys (say, Ryback) couldn't put on the matches Rusev has.

Definitely. Rusev works super well in that he can play the dominant guy (Mojo), the guy facing his first true test and meeting it(Big E) as well as the big guy who might be outmatched, but ekes out the victory via being a cheating bastard (Swagger)

Who on Earth would gif this? This is from like early days ROH!

Well, Bray Wyatt has a better gimmick than Rusev and he still hasn't recovered from the Cena program

i was on the Rusev bandwagon since day 1, i knew he'd put this shitty country to shame

iEFLlW3OCRjtw.gif

get fucked, america

even when he was tagging with Scott Dawson and being managed by Sly Lefort? That's dedication

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
it is when Cena is the one who ends said run.

it's like you haven't seen what happens to every superstar who gets in Cena's path.

well yeah but it doesn't matter. I still enjoy watching Bray Wyatt despite Cena berrying him. I still enjoy Batista despite Cena coming out on top in their last big feud. I still enjoy Rusev no matter when or how he loses, because he's fun to watch.

Kaladin

It's what they do with them after the loss to Cena. They fall so far it's like they're no longer a threat anymore and most characters in the vein of Rusev disappear into complete jobber status. This happens to anyone and everyone who is built up to a point and fed to Cena. They may have spurts of being something here and there, but they will never reach the potential they had before Cena. Cena is a career killer for monster heels, to the point that you learn not to give a fuck about them because they will be built up as unstoppable till they hit Cena.

That's why I enjoy what Rusev brings, but I find it hard to care about him. We've seen this tale told too many times to be fooled again.

Aiii

So not worth it
When Goldberg had his streak going on and got the US title, that thing was really elevated, because he was an unbeatable beast and he had that thing.

When he vacated it for the world title he left the title meaning something, so yeah, Rusev holding that title and REMAINING UNDEFEATED IN EVERY FUCKING WAY
(read this WWE, I swear to god if he loses only one tag-match, I riot!)
will definitely elevate the title. A strong champion makes a belt matter, not the other way around.

The main reason WWE belts mean shit unless it's the World Title on John Cena is that the champions continiously lose matches. Champions are supposed to be the strongest beasts in your company, giving them even a single loss diminishes them and the title they're holding.

But you all know this, everyone knows this. Except WWE's writers, apparently.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think forgetting about the main event is the best thing y'all can do to enjoy WWE programming. Pretend it isn't there, and pretend people will never go higher than they are. It's a fun thing. Fun and playful.

Sephzilla

well yeah but it doesn't matter. I still enjoy watching Bray Wyatt despite Cena berrying him. I still enjoy Batista despite Cena coming out on top in their last big feud. I still enjoy Rusev no matter when or how he loses, because he's fun to watch.

part of the reason i still enjoy rusev is because he still feels threatening.

Bray doesn't feel threatening anymore.

Batista doesn't feel threatening anymore.

Del Rio didn't feel threatening post Cena.

It took Barrett 3 years and a rising podium to get out from under that stack of chairs.

etc, etc.

Cena takes the teeth away from people faster than Star Trek Voyager took the teeth away from The Borg.

Kaladin

WWE just doesn't know how to work the monster heel angle past the initial defeat. They don't know how to keep the character going that still makes them interesting.

It's like after the initial defeat they go get beaten by Dolph Ziggler and Zack Ryder two weeks in a row and they're back to jobber status.

Why can't they still be as destructive, but just find another target? Keep them dangerous but out of the title picture till they once again can't be ignored and have a big rematch.

The 11/3 episode of Raw did 4,040,000 viewers, up almost 300,000 from last week’s 3,745,000 viewers.

8PM - 4,043,000
9PM - 4,203,000
10PM - 3,875,000

Who needs Cena?

somedevil

I assume last night's Raw was no good, considering no one is talking about it...

Going by review sites last night raw was good. Also the viewership of Raw showed that:

8pm: 4.043
9pm: 4.203
10pm: 3.875

Avg: 4.040

Big Bounce Back compared the whole month of October. Highest since September.

When Goldberg had his streak going on and got the US title, that thing was really elevated, because he was an unbeatable beast and he had that thing.

When he vacated it for the world title he left the title meaning something, so yeah, Rusev holding that title and REMAINING UNDEFEATED IN EVERY FUCKING WAY
(read this WWE, I swear to god if he loses only one tag-match, I riot!)
will definitely elevate the title. A strong champion makes a belt matter, not the other way around.

The main reason WWE belts mean shit unless it's the World Title on John Cena is that the champions continiously lose matches. Champions are supposed to be the strongest beasts in your company, giving them even a single loss diminishes them and the title they're holding.

But you all know this, everyone knows this. Except WWE's writers, apparently.
Well to be fair he isn't actually undefeated. He has not been pinned or submitted though.

Chopper

Going by review sites last night raw was good. Also the viewership of Raw showed that:

8pm: 4.043
9pm: 4.203
10pm: 3.875

Avg: 4.040

Big Bounce Back compared the whole month of October. Highest since September.
So it was good? No Cena? Sounds like a good start...

jred2k

The end of daylight savings time is fucking horrible. It's nearly pitch dark out and I haven't even left work yet.

Oh you like Star Trek? Sweet!

I liked The Rock's appearance in Voyager more than Big Show's appearance in Enterprise.

You need to repair your life.

Sephzilla

Oh you like Star Trek? Sweet!

I liked The Rock's appearance in Voyager more than Big Show's appearance in Enterprise.

Rock dropping the Rock Bottom on Seven of Nine was the only good thing in that episode. Rock's appearance might have been "better" but Show got the better episode (and series).

They can never enjoy wrestling. They're stuck in a loop. If it's shit they get to write a ton of bullshit about it and people read it. If it's good they struggle to write their crap. I miss our GAF Meltzer Alvarez though

Oh so you preferred Big Show's appearance. Gotcha.

There's times they enjoy it. They enjoyed a few parts of it but too many small parts that sucked. I generally felt the same way. Meltzer was also completely baffled that they made no mention of Bryan with the Giants. Said that it's completely silly to ignore it when half of Raw could have been cut without much problem.

strobogo

Banned
I don't understand the line of thinking "Rusev is good BUT he will lose to Cena" how does this actually affect what you see in him? Everyone loses to Cena, so who cares? Enjoy the man for what he's doing.

This is the era where people hate on guys for their booking that might not even happen.

joelseph

One more reminder of how Adam Page almost killed Cheeseburger on this week's ROH:

Kingdom gave Cheese a shot of Jack at the bachelor party and then we started up a chant for 3 more so they gave the poor guy three more shots of Jack. Then he took a stop sign to the face. Poor cheeseburger was wasted.

Top Bottom