• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

Bobby = thumbs up
JBL = wtf

and where the fuck is Jesse Ventura. this is the weirdest list ever. it's like half trolling, half serious

The truth? Never been a fan of Ventura's; I got nothing against the guy, but his commentary really doesn't get to me. I believe JBL's got room to grow though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
S8k0fCe.gif

Now go the opposite direction and photoshop Vince onto this. And maybe Cena pasted by the money signs

Hasney

muLRPv3.gif

Aduidably said "oh shit" when I saw that. Now that's a heel turn.

Really like how Striker sold it too when Blue Demon was being carried out. Much better than the after-cell bump from the three douches.

Other than the well done backstage segments, I think the biggest reason it comes across so well so far is everything is planned out in advance. Every segment has a purpose and despite being only an hour, the matches feel like they have time to breathe. I'm kind of hoping the get a 2-3 hour "season finale" when it's all said and done.

Since so many people here have to wait to watch Lucha Underground via stream uploads, I think it kinda sucks to post a ton of match-spoiling .gifs, Wesker. But whatever.

Hitting women in the head with chair shots. Concussions abound. The Guerrero legacy lives on.

The legacy of Latino Heeeeeeat is still real to me, damnit. This is Guerrero heelism at it's best. Gotta think Eddie is up in heaven smiling at that dastardly Chavito.

I don't get the Matt Striker hate, he does a good job explaining the ring action and selling the moves.

He's kinda screwing up the whole narrative they are trying to get over for Sexy Star with some of his commentary, which is pretty unforgivable, since she's obviously one of their biggest Mexican stars, and her storyline is obviously one of the more important ones on the show.

Hmm. People, do any of you actually wrestle or have wrestled before? I'd like some advice, as I'm considering getting into it. Considering.

muLRPv3.gif

Aduidably said "oh shit" when I saw that. Now that's a heel turn.

Really like how Striker sold it too when Blue Demon was being carried out. Much better than the after-cell bump from the three douches.

Other than the well done backstage segments, I think the biggest reason it comes across so well so far is everything is planned out in advance. Every segment has a purpose and despite being only an hour, the matches feel like they have time to breathe. I'm kind of hoping the get a 2-3 hour "season finale" when it's all said and done.

... so what is this from?? links??

Hasney

Hmm. People, do any of you actually wrestle or have wrestled before? I'd like some advice, as I'm considering getting into it. Considering.

This based on knowing someone who did it rather than actually doing it (which I would have if the doctors I saw when I was 11 and 6'0" were right. "He's going to be at least 7'0" lol" I could grow a full beard at 12, it was clear I just advanced early! Rant over): If you're only considering it, don't. It will take all your money and time for years until you're making a profit. The only way you'll make it by getting trained and trying to hit up the indies and take every booking you can is if it's your life. You will hurt, you'll have no real social life, no money and the only way you'll survive it is if it's your entire life.

He got passed up on so many promotions at his normal job where I worked with him because he came into work with stitches in his head, and he wasn't even working with a hardcore promotion, so your full time job (unless you have oddly supportive parents or are loaded for some reason) has to accept the shape you come to work in.

If you're only considering it and have an athletic background and a good look, I'd honestly just say roll the dice at an NXT tryout if you can get on one. Hell, Mojos making money. If you're going the "real" route, you have to know you want it and not just consider it because it will eat you fucking alive.

EDIT: I just accidentally agreed with simplythebest. Miracles do happen! Clearly you should pursue your consideration now

I posted it here, more than once I think. It was weeks ago, on the app only and they've done fuck all, which is really disappointing.

man that is really disheartening he seems to be really working on his character, he has a really good look as well and sells sort of like ziggler.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And Dragon Age if remasters aren't your thing. Sure, it's not everyones cup of team, especially after 2, but it's better than WWE surely.

I'll be knee deep in Draenor RPG land to really bother with Dragon Age. Plus, as much as I'd like to play it, I played the first 2 on PC, and I couldn't imagine playing that shit on a console after playing the first 2 on pc. Nothing to do with graphics and everything to do with how that game controls.

Alucard

Banned
In the future, can we just post links for the LU gifs until at least the weekend? A lot of people don't watch it live because it's just not available live.

Anyway, still mega excited to watch episode 2. The show has an energy that I love.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lucha Underground is amazing, I'm enjoying this so much. I love how it's a serial TV show and not a wrestling show. These guys understood that WWE is out of their league and they just focussed on making something unique and succeeded. It's something TNA never really got, even when they tried making their promotion unique, their main focus was being "WWE Lite", stupid.

The narrative being explained through those pre-filmed segments is awesome. Blue Demon Jr. and Maxine's in particular this week was excellent. For one, MAXINE~~! With the soundtrack behind it and everything, it was great! GREAT!

Good matches too, that first match of course taking the cake. Loved the double 450 splash ending, perfect sync on that one.

Also, a shout-out to Konnan, I was never a fan of his wrestling and his entire off-screen personality is just terrible, just listening to him on podcasts makes me want to punch the dude. But I have to hand it to him, the guy can act and all the stuff he's in is great. I believe him as the grizzled veteran trying to manipulate Prince Puma by acting as a trainer that has his best interest in mind.

The heavyweight match was fun too, one thing I noticed here is the lack of rest holds, WWE and their fucking rest holds had damn near made me forget that you don't have to have minute long periods in the middle of matches where people just sit in the middle of the ring pretending they're choking eachother.

That Chavo doe. I'm enjoying something Chavo did. In 2014. Well done Lucha Underground.

Oh, and a side note about the Wesker gif's, I appreciate the fuck out of Wesker promoting the greatness that is Lucha Underground, but I would also like to ask if you could please wait a day or so before posting them, or post them as links instead of embedded with a small warning before then, given how people need to catch up. Thank you.

Alucard

Banned
What I really love about the show is how I have a very distinct idea about each character and what their motivations are. They feel fully realized and like they've lived and had experiences, but that they still have goals and passion. It's like the anti-Sheamus.

As we have noted, Kevin Steen will be making his NXT debut soon, using the ring name “Kevin Owens”, which is both a tribute to his son, and his namesake Owen Hart. According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Steen did a workout in front of Triple H recently, and is expected to debut with WWE either at NXT Takeover: Evolution this December, or the next set of NXT tapings.

=|

Fun fact – I work in the team with the person who organised this event :)

Did you get an autograph?

smiling [/B]at that dastardly Chavito.

There is no way Eddie would be smiling at the massive dump that dastardly Chavito has unloaded upon the Guerrero legacy over the years.

Xater

What I really love about the show is how I have a very distinct idea about each character and what their motivations are. They feel fully realized and like they've lived and had experiences, but that they still have goals and passion. It's like the anti-Sheamus.

Yes the way they are creating characters is awesome. WWE just sucks at that. Lik you said Sheamus apparently is the Irish guy that kicks people. Nothing about that actual character work.

Just watched episode 2 of LU myself and really enjoyed it. This and NXT are the only things I still watch. Maybe WWE will step up their game come WM season like the last time.

alstein

Yes the way they are creating characters is awesome. WWE just sucks at that. Lik you said Sheamus apparently is the Irish guy that kicks people. Nothing about that actual character work.

Just watched episode 2 of LU myself and really enjoyed it. This and NXT are the only things I still watch. Maybe WWE will step up their game come WM season like the last time.

Sheamus was great as he came up as a bully who just liked to fight people. I would have liked it better if Sheamus instead of saying he was proud to be champion because of the American people, said he was proud to be champ for all the badasses who wanted to a piece of him instead of him having to go looking.

Xater

Sheamus was great as he came up as a bully who just liked to fight people. I would have liked it better if Sheamus instead of saying he was proud to be champion because of the American people, said he was proud to be champ for all the badasses who wanted to a piece of him instead of him having to go looking.

I only made the point about Sheamus because Alucard mentioned him. You can do the same thing for all kinds of WWE guy. What's the character of the Usos for example?

Alucard

Banned

It's actually sad that I have to praise LU's focus on character creation when giving a character motivations is story telling 101. I think we've just gotten used to the WWE's watered down idea of character development that we've forgotten what it feels like to feel invested in someone. (exceptions: Daniel Bryan, Mania 30 HHH, CM Punk, Brock)

Aiii

So not worth it
Another good thing about Lucha, one it shares with NXT, is that it's only one hour long.

One hour and it leaves you with an hour well spend, you don't get tired and by the end of it you're ready for more, but they make you wait for a week so you end up looking forward to it.

WWE's three hours bore you as the show is going on, it makes you dread it's arrival, and by the end of it you're happy it's over, instead of excited to see more. I know it's good money for them, but if they were smart they'd split the show up in two parts and make each of them unique and different from another.

Split the brands or ressurect WCW and make half the show Nitro and then do another show called Raw. This might even better for the live crowd too, giving them something to look forward to in the four hours they're there. Two hours building to a climax and then another two hours with completely different people and storylines and another climax.

Have HHH run Nitro, while Vince runs Raw, etc.

Not sure how I got to this from my Lucha praising, but there you go.

bjork

I only made the point about Sheamus because Alucard mentioned him. You can do the same thing for all kinds of WWE guy. What's the character of the Usos for example?

The "always have an Anoi'a member employed rule," now expendable since Roman is here.

Xater

Poster for Wrestle Kingdom 9;

hzAQLYH.jpg

The Dragon Gate show was really good, awesome 8-man tag main event.

Am I blind or does this poster not actually tell you when WK9 is?

Anyway, I am excited for it. Maybe I'll watch live with you guys this time, although I wish I could get the version with English commentary.

Recall

Am I blind or does this poster not actually tell you when WK9 is?

Anyway, I am excited for it. Maybe I'll watch live with you guys this time, although I wish I could get the version with English commentary.

Jan 4th the same it's been since the dawn of time.

This based on knowing someone who did it rather than actually doing it (which I would have if the doctors I saw when I was 11 and 6'0" were right. "He's going to be at least 7'0" lol" I could grow a full beard at 12, it was clear I just advanced early! Rant over): If you're only considering it, don't. It will take all your money and time for years until you're making a profit. The only way you'll make it by getting trained and trying to hit up the indies and take every booking you can is if it's your life. You will hurt, you'll have no real social life, no money and the only way you'll survive it is if it's your entire life.

He got passed up on so many promotions at his normal job where I worked with him because he came into work with stitches in his head, and he wasn't even working with a hardcore promotion, so your full time job (unless you have oddly supportive parents or are loaded for some reason) has to accept the shape you come to work in.

If you're only considering it and have an athletic background and a good look, I'd honestly just say roll the dice at an NXT tryout if you can get on one. Hell, Mojos making money. If you're going the "real" route, you have to know you want it and not just consider it because it will eat you fucking alive.

EDIT: I just accidentally agreed with simplythebest. Miracles do happen! Clearly you should pursue your consideration now

Yeah, I was already pretty doubtful about it. I was just eyeing Pro Wrestling Ulster's training offers and I was... Tempted. I might still try it out, but I doubt I'll make a career out of it. Thanks, you two~!

Alucard

Banned
So yeah, I've pretty much committed to only watching an hour of ROH and an hour of Lucha Underground every week. I'm done trying to convince myself that the WWE is going to get better any time soon. Cena and creative ruin way too many stories and characters.

Top Bottom