• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

ibzIxbKle1ISOc.gif

What is this crap?

Fox318

Attitude era had just as much, if not more, stupidity as anything done today.
Yeah but they knew how to book stuff better.

There is a lot to be ho-hum about in pro wrestling right now. The excitement I once felt for it just isn't there anymore because of how milketoast the WWE has become. Yeah, there are some great indy promotions and other things to watch, but the WWE is like the NHL, MLB, NBA etc. It should have the cream of the crop in regards to entertainment, but they can barely muster a storyline that grabs my attention.

It speaks volumes when their best moments, such as Bryan winning the title or Orton getting cut open during his face turn, are the results of total flukes.

I think most of that stems from the CEO wanting his company to be an entertainment company rather than a sports company.

Vince wants to make movies, TV shows, and produce other media content rather than the product he helped grow.

His wife's political career and other issues(Benoit, Eddie, steroids, blading eliminated due to aids/hep c concerns) all put a damper on the popularti of the industry and the network crippled their PPV business. With that change came a dependence on their stars from the past and right now the relationship the company has with cena is leading to the product being booring. Hogan went heel with the WCW because people were booing him, his contract with turner was so expensive, and his acting career was dead with Thunder in Paradise. Cena doesn't have that right now. He markets himself to the main fanbase the WWE has been targeting for years now and now that the adult audience ran off to the NFL and UFC they have to depend on families and younger views. The company is dependent on him so much that they don't want to develop their younger guys more.

Plus all of those companies (NHL, MLB) have a strong union presence because of their near monopoly of their sport. WWE gets around some of this stuff by calling themselves an entertainment company. They compete with paramount, MLB, NFL, reality shows, and the circus. His employees are all labeled as independent contractors so they can get around some employee benefits even though they are locked to non compete clauses. The last thing Vince wants to do is have a unionized workforce.

Yeah but they knew how to book stuff better.

I think most of that stems from the CEO wanting his company to be an entertainment company rather than a sports company.

Vince wants to make movies, TV shows, and produce other media content rather than the product he helped grow.

His wife's political career and other issues(Benoit, Eddie, steroids, blading eliminated due to aids/hep c concerns) all put a damper on the popularti of the industry and the network crippled their PPV business. With that change came a dependence on their stars from the past and right now the relationship the company has with cena is leading to the product being booring. Hogan went heel with the WCW because people were booing him, his contract with turner was so expensive, and his acting career was dead with Thunder in Paradise. Cena doesn't have that right now. He markets himself to the main fanbase the WWE has been targeting for years now and now that the adult audience ran off to the NFL and UFC they have to depend on families and younger views. The company is dependent on him so much that they don't want to develop their younger guys more.

And he's failing at those ventures quite well. Just stick with what you know Vince.

strobogo

Banned
The only thing Flash tries to tie in is Norton and I always uncheck it. I haven't had a problem with spy/malware in like 10 years. But updating Flash REKT my shit.

What the fuck guys

Anyway, Summerslam 98 is a good ppv. I liked it. Taker and Austin are really good at beating the shit out of each other.

RP912

Banned
Sighs...for a wrestlemania that has 2000 in it...it was one of the most miserable ppvs I have ever watched. It just felt like a beta for wrestlemania 17.

Huh, they kept the D Generation X blackface skit for the Monday Night Wars episode.

Didn't expect that. Especially considering the ton of other shit they have hacked out of their history.

Pretty fucked up.

Top Bottom