• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

JavyOO7

The way Sting won in '97 is one of the worst booking decisions ever. Like...ever. Made no sense. Even with the Sting win after the restart, it all felt like bullshit.

IMO, the main event should have been the shortest main event in history. Crow Sting wrecks Hogan in five minutes tops...

The way Sting won in '97 is one of the worst booking decisions ever. Like...ever. Made no sense. Even with the Sting win after the restart, it all felt like bullshit.

They obviously wanted to cash in on the Montreal Screwjob, but the whole "fast count that wasn't actually a fast count" ruined any chance of it working. They should have went all in and have Hogan put Sting in the Sharpshooter/Scorpion Death Lock and the ref calling for the bell without a submission from Sting.

Zach

Why are you guys always reminding me of the biggest letdown in wrasslin' history? I still feel the void of not getting closure, the crushing disappointment that Sting never truly conquered the nWo. O! WCW! In pace requiescat!

;_;

RP912

Banned
I hated that fucking sting/hogan match at bfg 2011 and the smark marky mark smark ass fans in philly for even entertaining that match.

I agree with wcw nitro 1995 hogan being the shits...I cringed hard at the fact hogan didn't believe in laying on his back throughout that time.

Vylash

ibbiRlSC6Fvajk.gif

Zach

If there was EVER an appropriate time for a PPV main event squash match, it would be at Starrcade 1997.

Yuh, dude. An uncontested layup if I've ever seen one in my life. Even as a 13-year-old kid I was like "My god. This is it. Sting is going to crush Hogan. You can feel it. The entire universe demands it." And then Hogan was just like "Nah, brah."

To make matters worse I remember trying to be excited... but it just wasn't happening. I remember watching him celebrate and saying something in Spanish maybe?! Still, I just couldn't shake that "man, he doesn't deserve this... he lost... Sting... lost..."

It seriously kind of makes me sad and pissed off to this day. I'm not even joking. I'm pathetic. Haha...

RP912

Banned
I think the best sting/hogan match I ever seen was the house show cage match they did. Shit felt so grimey out of a old memphis vhs tape. The crowd was throwing shit at both wrestlers and both of them were putting on a show.

I wish they didn't dropped the ball on starrcade 97 man :(. It hurts my soul because this was the ppv that could have changed the tides of the Monday Night Wars for the better imo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have a secret.

I really liked Sting as a kid, but I think he's as bland as it gets as an adult. Like he only knew how to work one gimmick his entire career up to TNA, his face gimmick was annoying as hell, he was a competent wrestler but WCW was full of competent wrestlers in the mid 90s.

Thank god Scott Hall got him that gimmick because I don't know how it would have panned out if it wasn't for The Crow doing well.

RP912

Banned
I have a secret.

I really liked Sting as a kid, but I think he's as bland as it gets as an adult. Like he only knew how to work one gimmick his entire career up to TNA, his face gimmick was annoying as hell, he was a competent wrestler but WCW was full of competent wrestlers in the mid 90s.

Thank god Scott Hall got him that gimmick because I don't know how it would have panned out if it wasn't for The Crow doing well.

I guess the thing that made Sting so amazing is the fact of that very statement. Dude was a real life super hero. When you thought of wcw, you thought of the stinger. Even though his gimmick was meh to today's eyes, but you can't deny the fact that he held WCW on his back for so long.

Not even flair could hold that logo for so long.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally watched Power Struggle. Ishii vs Goto was a goddamned WAR. Told a great story, though the actual wrestling left something to be desired. Telling a story is more important, though, and I loved it.

Yoshitatsu vs Styles was alright. Sadly I think Yoshitatsu might not have what it takes to share the stage with main event talent. Also, I felt it was kind of lacking to see Styles without the IWGP Championship. Guy definitely deserved it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I guess the thing that made Sting so amazing is the fact of that very statement. Dude was a real life super hero. When you thought of wcw, you thought of the stinger. Even though his gimmick was meh to today's eyes, but you can't deny the fact that he held WCW on his back for so long.

Not even flair could hold that logo for so long.

I mean. That's John Cena, but I still find him bland.

Zach

The crowd was always behind Sting and that's what made it work. If they ever started to turn on him in the slightest, we may have had a Cena situation on our hands. And even beyond the glitz of the gimmick, I think people could always tell that Sting wasn't faking being a likeable dude who consistently gave 100%.

I partially blame him for the Starrcade '97 crapfest. If there was one time to NOT be a team player, he should've done it then. He should've been like "No, we've built this thing for over a year. This is where the nWo gets its comeuppance. No shenanigans. I win. You lose. I'm WCW and this s is going down... brother."

DMczaf

I like the First Couple of Weeks of NWO Hogan. He really didn't know what Hollywood Hogan was yet, trying to find himself as a heel. While the Outsiders were doing real ass promos, he would start spouting off 80s heel promos.

RP912

Banned
I like the First Couple of Weeks of NWO Hogan. He really didn't know what Hollywood Hogan was yet, trying to find himself as a heel. While the Outsiders were doing real ass promos, he would start spouting off 80s heel promos.

I think by Hog Wild he became Hollywood Hogan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The crowd was always behind Sting and that's what made it work. If they ever started to turn on him in the slightest, we may have had a Cena situation on our hands. And even beyond the glitz of the gimmick, I think people could always tell that Sting wasn't faking being a likeable dude who consistently gave 100%.

I partially blame him for the Starrcade '97 crapfest. If there was one time to NOT be a team player, he should've done it then. He should've been like "No, we've built this thing for over a year. This is where the nWo gets its comeuppance. No shenanigans. I win. You lose. I'm WCW and this s is going down... brother."

Yeah there was never an inkling that people were tired of Sting. It was genuine coming from him, and like, the people cheering for Vader instead of Sting when they had a feud? It was because Vader was fucking awesome, not because they were anti-Sting.

strobogo

Banned
Yuh, dude. An uncontested layup if I've ever seen one in my life. Even as a 13-year-old kid I was like "My god. This is it. Sting is going to crush Hogan. You can feel it. The entire universe demands it." And then Hogan was just like "Nah, brah."

To make matters worse I remember trying to be excited... but it just wasn't happening. I remember watching him celebrate and saying something in Spanish maybe?! Still, I just couldn't shake that "man, he doesn't deserve this... he lost... Sting... lost..."

It seriously kind of makes me sad and pissed off to this day. I'm not even joking. I'm pathetic. Haha...

I got to order Starrcade 1997. I, with 2 of my cousins, watched that match and were like wtf. I would have been 9 and distinctly remember thinking this isn't at all how this match should go. At 9 I realized how bad the booking of that match was. I was SO HYPED after Sting's entrance. Then the match happened and I was like...Sting looks like a punk. Why is Hulk dominating him? Sting has been able to beat up the whole nWo like 15 times in the last year. It was a real bummer.

But then when you go back and look at any Hollywood Hogan match, he always dominated his opponent. Didn't matter who it was. Sting, Warrior, Piper, Macho, Flair. He even had too much offense against Goldberg at the height of his streak. Hogan was a real cunt in WCW. Even as a face he dominated and made dudes look like shit. In his prime, he sold like DEATH for even the lamest of challengers. Hulk in WCW was a real piece of shit. He seemed to go out of his way to make his opponents look bad and was only worried about protecting his spot, at the expense of all of his colleges and the company.

I have a secret.

I feel like of all the super faces, Sting was the best in the ring. He was never a guy who could carry dudes worse than him to a great match, but he was a guy who could have good matches with good guys, and great matches with great guys. He was better than Hogan and Warrior in the ring. He wasn't as good as them at promos, but I felt he was always pretty adequate, much in the same way I always thought Bret was a fine promo guy. Sting was the super face who was better in the ring, had no ego and put dudes over, let dudes like Vader BODY him as long as it helped WCW. Even as a kid not really aware of the politics, it seemed like Sting was more of a do anything for WCW guy than Hogan or Warrior were for WWF. He's the most unselfish top guy ever. I also think he did most of his best promo work in TNA. He actually put on a lot of pretty good matches in TNA. He put WAY more effort into TNA than any guy at his level did. I'd even argue he put more effort into shit than Jeff Jarrett did, and Jeff ran the company.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As I've said, the parallels between Sting and Cena are all over the place. I've never seen Cena as a Hogan. I've always seen him as a Sting. A Sting that's more strongly protected, but a Sting none the less. A guy who cuts obnoxious face promos that really work for people who are into it(you'd be crazy if you think surfer sting face promos were going to be c ompletely over forever. Even fans were cheering Vader for beating his face in), a guy who murders himself to support the company he's in because he's extremely passionate about it, bodybuilder type background, someone who doesn't have a ton of range, but someone who can have good matches with good wrestlers and great ones with great wrestlers.

Sting probably sells better, but that's about it.

Omega

Banned
Clicked on that Best Action Choreography of 2014 thread and I see Agent of Shield gifs...

sm goddamn h

i like the Marvel Cinematic Universe but the people that think any of the choreography outside of Captain Murca v Winter Solider part 1 (on the bridge) is actually good blow my mind.

and those are the movies. a TV show, with probably 1/3rd the budget. HA

strobogo

Banned
As I've said, the parallels between Sting and Cena are all over the place. I've never seen Cena as a Hogan. I've always seen him as a Sting. A Sting that's more strongly protected, but a Sting none the less. A guy who cuts obnoxious face promos that really work for people who are into it(you'd be crazy if you think surfer sting face promos were going to be c ompletely over forever. Even fans were cheering Vader for beating his face in), a guy who murders himself to support the company he's in because he's extremely passionate about it, bodybuilder type background, someone who doesn't have a ton of range, but someone who can have good matches with good wrestlers and great ones with great wrestlers.

Sting probably sells better, but that's about it.

I get the comparisons between the two, but once you do any digging they really aren't the same. Cena is a better promo, but Sting was always more than willing to put dudes over. There was never a time where getting into a program with Sting hurt you. Never. Not even in TNA. If anything, Sting gave TOO much to opponents. In the ring, he was better than Cena. On promos, he never killed gimmicks or buried guys. Sting is the most generous top face of any company ever. Especially since he was the super face archetype kind of guy.

so is Captain Toad Gaf's new 'this will save the Wii U' game?

because hard times daddy if so

I think both Nintendo and their fans need to come to accept that if when Smash Wii U fails to boost sales to the point that they are at least outselling the Xbone for one month, they should just call it quits and sell off all their shit to a company in much better financial shape that could use their IPs in much more profitable ways than they are right now.
Like WWE.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think both Nintendo and their fans need to come to accept that if when Smash Wii U fails to boost sales to the point that they are at least outselling the Xbone for one month, they should just call it quits and sell off all their shit to a company in much better financial shape that could use their IPs in much more profitable ways than they are right now.
Like WWE.

I'm fine with people looking forward to stuff. That's not what gets me. It's when people talk about shit like W101 or Captain Toad when they're talking about future dale for system sales.

Like.. what? Could you imagine if I started talking up how much the ratings are going to down on RAW because Titus isn't on it? Like I like Titus and want to see him do stuff, but I'm not gonna sit here and act like he's a pillar of the show.

He should be though.

Omega

Banned
Like WWE.

Isn't Nintendo is in a much better financial shape than their two competitors? If Xbone doesn't start to pick up it could be the last console. Also Nintendo apparently can lose $250 million a year and still last for the next 40 years.

"Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - "

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Isn't Nintendo is in a much better financial shape than their two competitors? If Xbone doesn't start to pick up it could be the last console. Also Nintendo apparently can lose $250 million a year and still last for the next 40 years.

People always bring up Nintendo's reserve money. But it's not like their investors are sitting there going, 'Nah, it's totally cool that you keep posting losses!' Investors are interested in making money. The last thing you want to say to your board is that you keep losing shit tons of money, but it's ok because you have lots of money in the bank. It's murder for your stock.

People always bring up Nintendo's reserve money. But it's not like their investors are sitting there going, 'Nah, it's totally cool that you keep posting losses!' Investors are interested in making money. The last thing you want to say to your board is that you keep losing shit tons of money, but it's ok because you have lots of money in the bank. It's murder for your stock.

But 3ds redux and kiddie toys? That sure is making them bank

Yeah I thought that was quite cute, Nash & Hall were cool as fuck while Hogan seemed like your Dad trying to fit in with your friends and failing miserably but everyone has a good laugh about it later on.

so is Captain Toad Gaf's new 'this will save the Wii U' game?

because hard times daddy if so

I played a ton of it at PAX AU recently and it's super cute and enjoyable. Will be niche as fuck though, nothing action packed about it, just a nice little adventure kinda like the Paper Mario games.

First WiiU game I've given a shit about tbh. It'll sell like shit.

Sufer Sting is cool at the time, people were behind him. great foil to flair and rude at the time. Dude should have put his foot doen when hogan came in. Dude was a team player to the max.

Power Struggle was great. It's so awesome to see ReDragon pick up the titles since they're our guys. I used to hear about NJPW never giving foreigners the ball but they're definitely doing it right now.

Also watched PWG BOLA: Night Three. I think I spent more time re-watching the parts when Myers body slammed everyone including the ref and the 3-min slow motion sequence than the entire show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lolol 2k15's 'face import' is just a PSD layer. It's not even like it molds the head around you. It's just a layer you put over the already existing face. It's like a No Mercy texture mod.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
“[André] told me that by the time he was twelve he had already grown to a height of six feet two and 240 pounds and that he was so big that he could no longer ride on the local bus that transported the other children to school. Sometime after that, the great Irish playwright, Samuel Beckett, bought some land in Molien and decided to move there. Being a handyman as well as a farmer, Roussimoff Sr. offered to help Beckett build his country cottage and eventually the two struck up a friendship. When the playwight learned of young André’s issues with the school bus, he offered to drive the boy to school, explaining that he had a convertible - the only one in town - and thus, the only vehicle that could possibly accommodate Andre’s size. And so, for a time at least, the Noble Prize-winning author of Waiting for Godot chauffeured the young man who would eventually become the most famous wrestler in history to and from school.”

dem feels

Top Bottom