• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| Ask Not The Jobber How John Cena Wins

10 hours into Chrono Trigger. Just
got Masamune and had Frog rejoin my group.
This game is the shit. One of the best-paced RPGS I've ever played until this point in the story. You always know what you have to do, but you're free to explore around. Love it.
My favourite RPG. I think I ended up on GAF after seeing a link on Kotaku and then reading some kind of RTTP thread on Chrono Trigger, seeing such love for a game I thought the world of but never had anyone IRL to talk to about it made me make an account.

obviously it's all hypothetical but they have way more room to make mistakes then microsoft or sony.

Microsoft doesn't even benefit that much from gaming which is why Satya Nadella has to keep telling everyone that despite how shitty the division is doing, they won't stop making Xbox right now.

and Sony is Sony. I think their gaming and tv division might be making them money but everything else is dead weight.
MS have a ton of hugely profitable ventures, the main threat to the Xbox division is the overall profit margain, execs are quick to say their time and resources could be used on another project to bring in higher profits but the safety net is how the Xbox division leads to benefits all round and makes the company stronger. Xbox lets them get access to markets that the other divisions don't.

Sony are weird, going through a lot of changes in the last few years. They have stripped themselves of most loss making divisions but not as quickly as they should have. At the moment they are looking great, diversification into insurance, medical equipment and real estate has and will continue to make tons of money for them. Now the gaming division has had a few good years I wouldn't expect them to have more cuts for a while.

The narrative always changes on GAF. One argument, Nintendo has loads of cash. The next, Nintendo is bankrupt and needs all the help they can get. I'm so confused.

Nintendo have fuckloads of cash but as a company with shareholders there will always be the hassle of needing to make profits to keep them happy. I can't see them closing the doors for at least a decade though. They have played the last few years really safe by taking low cost approaches and leveraging their hardcore fanbase and franchises.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would like to extend my congratulations to the folks at Yukes, 2k, and WWE for no longer being the worst game of November.
WatchfulDaringFlatcoatretriever.gif

Foley/Arquette Q&A Sessions

WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley will be doing a Q&A with Reddit on Tuesday, November 11th. It will start at 10AM, and take place on the IAmA sub-reddit.

David Arquette will also be doing a Q&A in the same sub-reddit this Monday, starting at 1PM.

I'll be there.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2 - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3 - C+
In Your House 4 - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5 - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6 - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7 - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8 - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B

Well there ya go. This show was actually pretty uneven, but hey, biggest turn ever, man. And there were a couple of really great matches.

And rewatching that main event made me wish that Savage would've gone down in the match as well, so it would've been down to Sting vs. The Outsiders. Sting could've done his flex-into-rampage-mode that he does and then dominated both Hall and Nash for a minute until they eventually get the upper hand and start crushing him. After a few minutes of this, Sting is just a heap in the ring. They're toying with him. As they said before the match, they didn't even need the third man. And then Hogan comes out from the back to even things up, two on two! And then BAM! Leg Drop of Doom on the Stinger. I think that would've meant even more.

But hey, that would've just made Sting sucking at Starrcade '97 even harder to swallow.

Actually I randomly was listening to them a couple of days ago and didn't even realize it was the anniversary of the Berlyn The Wall falling.

12.jpg

His debut was one of those moments burned into my head forever. Alex Wright had been out 4-5 months so they could re-package him and not tie him to his old gimmick. He and The Wall are sitting in the crowd and without missing a beat, Larry Nabisco says 'hey, that looks like Alex Wright' and is immediately given shit by everyone. Audible 'Nice job Larry' is heard.

FINAL BATTLE main event

**The main event for Ring of Honor’s Final Battle pay-per-view is official now with Jay Briscoe defending the ROH title against Adam Cole after Cole won the Survival of the Fittest tournament on Saturday night. Final Battle takes place on Sunday December 7th from Terminal 5 in New York City and airs on traditional pay-per-view.

In preparation for my interview with RD Reynolds, the co-author of the book, “The Death of WCW”, I went over the ratings of the shows I was actually involved in writing during my short tenure at WCW. Going into tomorrow’s discussion with RD, I just wanted to assure that we had the facts to look at, as it pertained to my true performance at WCW.

The numbers are posted on-line for anybody to take a look at. You can crunch them just like I did in order to get a true picture of what the numbers were during my time at WCW.

9/20/99-10/11/99 (4 SHOWS) AVERAGE RATING 2.9

These were the four shows prior–a month’s worth–to Ed Ferrara and myself joining WCW.

10/18/99-1/10/00 (13 Shows) AVERAGE RATING 3.2

During this time, Ed and I were concentrating on breaking down the old foundation that was in place, and building a new one as we saw fit. Let me also note here, that of the first 13 shows that Ed and I wrote, 11 of them were 3-hour shows. If you want to compare apples to apples–take away the two two-hour shows that Ed and I wrote and our average is still a 3.2 over the 11 three-hour shows. My last show on 1/10/00 drew a 3.4–our highest rating to date.

1/17/00-4/3/00 (12 SHOWS) AVERAGE RATING 2.7

This is the period in which I went home, and Kevin Sullivan and his creative team took over the writing of the show. As you can clearly see, the average WCW rating went down even further below the starting point at which Ed and I started. Note: all of these shows are now at two hours.

EDITORIAL: It was during that 12 week period, that I felt WCW truly lost its audience, and it was going to be a difficult struggle and battle, to ever win them back. That is MY OPINION.

4/10/00-7/3/00 (13 SHOWS) AVERAGE RATING 2.8

These were the first 13 shows that Eric and I did together, with many of them being written with us not on the same page. NOBODY KNOWS THIS STORY, because I never told it before, but things got so dysfunctional between Eric and I, that Brad Siegel, the President of both TBS/TNT at the time, called an emergency meeting between the three of us to try to straighten out our issues. This meeting took place THE WEEK PRIOR TO BASH AT THE BEACH

7/10/00-8/21/00 (7 SHOWS) AVERAGE RATING 2.5

After the combination of our meeting with Brad Siegel and Bash at the Beach, Eric was not much involved with creative from that point on. Here, once again, I tried to break down the things I didn’t like that Eric and I had worked on, in order to once again try to rebuild.

8/28/00-10/2/00 (6 SHOWS) AVERAGE RATING 3.1

These were the last 6 shows I ever wrote for WCW.

10/9/00-3/26/00 (23 SHOWS–PRE-EMPTED TWICE) 2.3

The last 23 shows of Nitro that I was not a part of.

Those are the true numbers, and the only REAL FACTS that are on record as it pertains to my failure/success at WCW.

Did I kill WCW?

That all depends solely on whether you chose to analyze the facts, or strictly go off opinion.

Oh and cool things during Russo's initial WCW run...

1) Bret Hart taken seriously for first time in years, Russo books him to win WCW title within a month of getting hired.

2) Bret Hart becomes leader of nWo 2000, would've been great had both he and Double J not suffered serious injuries (Bret's career ending) early in angle.

3) Refocus on young talent especially Rey and Kidman as The Filthy Animals who quickly became tag champs.

4) 3 Count, a wrestling boyband in the heyday of Backstreet Boys and N'sync. Hilarious and heat magnets.

5) Screamin' Norman Smiley! The hardcore champ who was terrified of weapons.

6) Scott Steiner's fake retirement followed by heel turn (used over a decade later by Mark Henry)....place exploded when he threw down his crutches and revealed an nWo shirt.

Great stuff.

krae_man

My first PPV after getting into wrestling!

Playing WWF attitude on PS1 was what got me interested. Kind of annoying that history has deemed that game terrible since I have good memories of it.

Warzone was better, but I like that game too. N64 version had CD quality audio of all the themes instead of the midi stuff previously(Although Goldusts midi theme was fucking boss).

My first PPV after getting into wrestling!

Playing WWF attitude on PS1 with a friend was what got me interested. Kind of annoying that history has deemed that game terrible since I have good memories of it.
Attitude was pretty good and miles above the Acclaim SNES and Genesis turds, it's just that they decided to reuse the engine over and over... wait, that sounds strangely like another wrestling videogame development team we all know and love.

Alucard

Banned
FINAL BATTLE main event

I'd say Cole and Briscoe is ROH's version of Cena vs. Orton...but they actually have really good matches and they've done a good job of avoiding each other in direct competition to still make this feel fresh.

Any word on Elgin? I thought he was confirmed to be back...

Lucha Underground week 2 had 29,000 viewers in the 18-49 demo, up from 8,000 in its debut.

Not bad, LU. Not bad at all.
This is the part where Strobogo quotes you, balks at the numbers, and ridicules everyone that suggested Lucha Underground might be a credible threat to WWE.

Alucard

Banned
This is the part where Strobogo quotes you, balks at the numbers, and ridicules everyone that suggested Lucha Underground might be a credible threat to WWE.

Eh, they're not a threat at all at the moment, but they are a legit alternative for hardcore wrestling folk, which the WWE balks at.

The 8,000 in week 1 went head-to-head with game 7 of the World Series too. I hope the word keeps spreading and they're able to hit 30,000+ in week 3.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot believe these Sonic Boom jiffs. Dying laughing.

I want to make Strobogo smile so it's Layla time
drUn87l.png

Top Bottom