• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

tm24

Looks like New Mistico hurt his shoulder last night and is out for 2 months. Part of me laughs and the other is sad that this will only hurt CMLL and the upcoming Fantasticamania

Striker

Um Punk was a main event jobber for 4 years before winning the title
He lost his World titles by losses to Taker and Jeff Hardy (regained the title from Hardy the next PPV), and he was "taken out" by Legacy in another run.

Before getting the MitB briefcase he was exchanging title wins in ECW with Morrison.

Kaladin

Down in south FL there is a promotion called Future of Wrestling and this is an actual thing they are doing:

521604_495504510490137_1663901371_n.jpg

Xtreme Xmas Tree Match.....I'm assuming they'll have the weapons wrapped up as presents under a tree.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Cm Punk was terrible as a face. The crowd really disliked him, and actually booed him openly on numerous occasions. They just treated his character terribly, and turned him into a weak bitch.

Kyoufu

Cm Punk was terrible as a face. The crowd really disliked him, and actually booed him openly on numerous occasions. They just treated his character terribly, and turned him into a weak bitch.

I don't recall him getting booed. Cena was the one being booed. But yeah I agree babyface punk was lame.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't recall him getting booed. Cena was the one being booed. But yeah I agree babyface punk was lame.
It wasn't as bad as Cena, but he was getting booed. The most obvious examples (of course it's me) are when he faced Kane for the ECW title, and when he faced Kane at Backlash 2009. He was pretty noticeably booed whenever he got any major offense in.

It wasn't his fault. He was just booked to look so dam weak.

Don't you guys hate babyface versions of everyone?
No, I actually think a face Miz is a great idea.

strobogo

Banned
He is pretty much a heel. Why are wrestling fans on the internet so in love with heels?

Because heels are the best. In just about every promotion/territory in US history, the top workers were/are heels. That's just how it has been in America forever. Make a top ten for any promotion in any era and it will be dominated by heels.

EDIT: So, you're using 2009 face Punk getting booed as logic for 2011/2012 Punk face getting booed? Because he was never booed while he was a face in this reign. He's barely booed even as a heel. I mean, he wasn't booked as a strong guy in 2009 by any means and he didn't have nearly the momentum or star power he has now, but to say that crowds really disliked him as a face is silly. Of course your examples include matches with Kane. Maybe they were booing the idea of Kane vs anyone, because Kane pretty much sucked the life out of everything from 2003-2010, and again from two weeks into 2012 until Team Hell No.

How? It's the truth.

EDIT: Are you saying that Punk was not turned into a weak face?

No, he definitely was but I don't think he was ever booed. 2009 actually wasn't bad, his matches with Umaga and the IC run were decent.

Anyway, looking into those Kane matches now. Couldn't hear any boos (could barely hear any reactions) in the Backlash match, looking for the ECW one right now... lol:
Did you mean: cm funk kane ecw

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Face DDP was alright, as was face Bam Bam Bigelow.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Because heels are the best. In just about every promotion/territory in US history, the top workers were/are heels. That's just how it has been in America forever. Make a top ten for any promotion in any era and it will be dominated by heels.

EDIT: So, you're using 2009 face Punk getting booed as logic for 2011/2012 Punk face getting booed? Because he was never booed while he was a face in this reign. He's barely booed even as a heel. I mean, he wasn't booked as a strong guy in 2009 by any means and he didn't have nearly the momentum or star power he has now, but to say that crowds really disliked him as a face is silly. Of course your examples include matches with Kane. Maybe they were booing the idea of Kane vs anyone, because Kane pretty much sucked the life out of everything from 2003-2010, and again from two weeks into 2012 until Team Hell No.
Dude, what is your problem? I never even brought up 2011/2012 Punk. Did I hurt your feelings or something? 2008-2009 Punk was booked as a weak face, and I don't think it helped him with the crowd. That's it.

Fuck is wrong with you people?

No, he definitely was but I don't think he was ever booed. 2009 actually wasn't bad, his matches with Umaga and the IC run were decent.

Anyway, looking into those Kane matches now. Couldn't hear any boos (could barely hear any reactions) in the Backlash match, looking for the ECW one right now... lol:
Did you mean: cm funk kane ecw
Don't bother looking for the ECW match. It's a great match, but all the ones on youtube are of horrible quality. You can't make anything out, lol.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Here's my evidence. Backlash 2009. Kane is the heel in this match, Punk the face, and you can see opposite reactions for the guys. Cheers for Kane, boos for Punk. Specifically the closing segment.

http://youtu.be/67X94I-r6bg?t=11m13s

Top candidates for joke accounts on Wrasslegaf:

1. Heavy
2. Soulplaya?
I would say something about your posts on here, but I can't remember a single contribution that you've ever made.

strobogo

Banned
I'm sorry you take so much offense to me thinking Kane was a black hole for 2003-2010 and the past 4 months. Punk was over as a face. He wasn't getting boos as a face in 2009. He also wasn't getting them in 2011/2012. If he was (which he wasn't), it was in the same vein as Rey getting booed because he's a face and it is more fun to cheer for the bad guys, not because of booking. In fact, Punk was getting good reactions despite his poor booking.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm sorry you take so much offense to me thinking Kane was a black hole for 2003-2010 and the past 4 months. Punk was over as a face. He wasn't getting boos as a face in 2009. He also wasn't getting them in 2011/2012. If he was (which he wasn't), it was in the same vein as Rey getting booed because he's a face and it is more fun to cheer for the bad guys, not because of booking. In fact, Punk was getting good reactions despite his poor booking.
I don't take any offense to anyone talking shit about Kane, but honestly, you think Kane has been a black hole for the last 4 months? What? And I already posted my evidence for Punk getting booed. I repeatedly said that they weren't significant boos, but they were there.

EDIT: And once again, I never brought up anything about 2011/2012 Punk. What are you talking about?

strobogo

Banned
No, I meant he has been a black hole outside of his WHC in 2010 and what he's currently doing now in Team Hell No. Team Hell No is awesome. His title run in 2010 was awesome. So, he's had about maybe a year total in the past decade where he wasn't a black hole to me. That must have been a typo, because Team Hell No is for sure my favorite thing in wrestling right now and has been since a few weeks into it.

On to the Backlash link:

Okay, one match means crowds really disliked him? They started popping for the chokeslam, didn't really have much reaction to Punk's strike combo (though there were more boos than cheers, that crowd was dead as fuck), and didn't really have much of a reaction after Kane won. That's a shitty crowd that seemed fairly indifferent to both guys. Certainly no anti-Cena venom or anything. Find clips of crowds turning on him and booing the shit out of him. I just don't believe that crowds really disliked him while he was a face then. They liked him despite some pretty shitty booking. A crowd didn't like him maybe, but not crowds in general. That's like saying that crowds really dislike Sheamus because the WM and Raw after booed him. Yes, those crowds didn't like him. Most crowds do.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Uh, no, I said he has been a black hole outside of his WHC in 2010 and what he's currently doing now in Team Hell No. Team Hell No is awesome. His title run in 2010 was awesome. So, he's had about maybe a year total in the past decade where he wasn't a black hole to me.

On to the Backlash link:

Okay, one match means crowds really disliked him? They started popping for the chokeslam, didn't really have much reaction to Punk's strike combo (though there were more boos than cheers, that crowd was dead as fuck), and didn't really have much of a reaction after Kane won. That's a shitty crowd that seemed fairly indifferent to both guys. Certainly no anti-Cena venom or anything. Find clips of crowds turning on him and booing the shit out of him. I just don't believe that crowds really disliked him while he was a face then. They liked him despite some pretty shitty booking. A crowd didn't like him maybe, but not crowds in general. That's like saying that crowds really dislike Sheamus because the WM and Raw after booed him. Yes, those crowds didn't like him. Most crowds do.
Fine, you think Kane sucked then. I don't care, lol.

Dude, are you even reading what I'm writing? I've repeatedly said that it wasn't Cena levels and that they weren't significant. Repeatedly. They were noticeable (and I showed that), though, and that's not a good sign for a face. Once again, it wasn't his fault, he was just booked badly.

Good lord, you guys think I'm high up on Kane, but there's a Kane joke like very other post here, and I just laugh it off (I honestly love most of them), but say something remotely negative about Punk, and some of you go nuts.

strobogo

Banned
I'm not going nuts at all. You said crowds "really disliked" him, which wasn't the case. Really disliked isn't minor, smark areas boo faces and cheer heels stuff. I feel like you think you're being attacked or something, which you aren't. Crowds didn't really dislike face Punk in 2009. I think promo wise that Punk has been pretty shitty this year. In ring, he's been great. But he hasn't had much to work with and I've found him to be super boring when not wrestling this year. I'm not some crazy Punk supporter. I'll cut you if you shit talk Randy Savage, though.

Alucard

Banned
Just watched Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki again. Such a superb match. Very few power moves, but tons of reversals, believable kickouts, and great psychology from beginning to end with how these guys look at each other and handle one another.

TanaRetains.jpg

*bow*

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm not going nuts at all. You said crowds "really disliked" him, which wasn't the case. Really disliked isn't minor, smark areas boo faces and cheer heels stuff. I feel like you think you're being attacked or something, which you aren't. Crowds didn't really dislike face Punk in 2009. I think promo wise that Punk has been pretty shitty this year. In ring, he's been great. But he hasn't had much to work with and I've found him to be super boring when not wrestling this year. I'm not some crazy Punk supporter. I'll cut you if you shit talk Randy Savage, though.
I stick by it. Maybe I shouldn't have said "really disliked him" but I repeatedly said that it wasn't Cena levels or significant. To even hear boos as a face, though, is a really bad sign, especially when you're going up against heels. They booked him terribly, though. His first feud as WHC was against a FACE BATISTA. That didn't help make him a favorite among the crowd, either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also Face Batista was absolutely horrible, take it from me. Worst.

People shine when they're allowed to be themselves and turn it up to 11.

BlazinAm

Probably like Tensai or someone.

Now's the chance to make Brodus Clay a heel....

But yeah your probably right... he would be the first person eliminated, just to fuck with him.

edit: I didn't know the wwe released Sakamoto/Kazma, they didn't even give him a chance. The fact that Wikipedia does have his real name is kinda cool.

Edit again:

Giant Bernard was the right fit for him. Stupid WWE.

Top Bottom