• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

Izick

This is what happened last night in the hardcore match.

SPOILERS FOR LAST NIGHT'S RING OF HONOR TAPING:

Here

One of the craziest things I've ever seen. Fucking legendary.

McNei1y

*McNei1y's music hits* and he walks into the ring planning to talk.

"SoulPlaya... I was handed the KOTR matchups earlier today and I was surprised to see that I face you in the first round. I mean, what kind of idiot would put me, GWF's Greatest Hero, in a match against the head of some puny alliance.... what is the name? Kane Kliq? Oh, whatever. It's laughable to see such a match scheduled. Bootaaay has no idea what he's doing wasting my talent in a match against you. How about you come down here and just receive your punishment now instead of waiting until Monday night. What say you, SoulPlaya?"

gurudyne

Rented WWE 13, got up the the Stone Cold Royal Rumble part and when it got down to Farooq, Cactus Jack and me, Cactus Jack Irish whipped me into the corner, made a deal with Cthulu, and this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU6c75Bi7u0

*Not my video, but shows what happened.

Then Farooq Irish whipped him into the opposite corner and the same thing happened to CJ. Match is still going 30 minutes later with Farooq kicking the air where CJ's body should be, unable to connect. Goes to show you--never trust an Elder God.

McNei1y said:
Bootaaay has no idea what he's doing wasting my talent in a match against you.

*Bootaaay's music hits*

"Now, hold up son...maybe it's YOU who has no idea. No idea what you're in for when you face SoulPlaya this coming Monday, live on GWL! But, you sound to me like a man with a point to prove, and I admire that - so, why don't you show me, show the fans and show SoulPlaya what McNei1y is all about this coming Monday, and prove you ain't all bullshit and bluster by winning King of the Ring!"

Izick said:
One of the craziest things I've ever seen. Fucking legendary.

God DAMN! That was a crazy bump for Corino to be taking at his age. No give in that guardrail whatsoever.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
*McNei1y's music hits* and he walks into the ring planning to talk.

"SoulPlaya... I was handed the KOTR matchups earlier today and I was surprised to see that I face you in the first round. I mean, what kind of idiot would put me, GWF's Greatest Hero, in a match against the head of some puny alliance.... what is the name? Kane Kliq? Oh, whatever. It's laughable to see such a match scheduled. Bootaaay has no idea what he's doing wasting my talent in a match against you. How about you come down here and just receive your punishment now instead of waiting until Monday night. What say you, SoulPlaya?"
*Shows up on the titantron*

Soul, speaking to someone on the telephone: Hey Big Red, it's me again. I'm sorry, I know you said to never call you at this time, but I just wanted to make sure that you received the flowers that I sent you. I think they go well with the last batch that I shipped out to you. Well, I hope this voice mail reaches you, as you haven't returned my last thirty or so. Maybe your machine is broken? Hehe, get it? Machine broken? You're the Big Red Machine, right? Hahaha. . . . . . alright, then, call me you up when you can. Bye.

Soul: OK, now that I'm done taking care of that important business, I can get back to focusing on you, McNeil. . .y. You dare to disparage the Kane Kliq? The organization that is funding the GWF? Listen here, if it weren't for the Kane Kliq, you would still be selling meat by the side of the road, understand?! Now, you want me to go down to the ring, whoop your little non-red ass, huh? You want to ruin the tournament? No, I don't think so. Your ass whooping has an appointment, and I'm a man that keeps my appointments. Until then, let the fear keep you warm. I'll see you Monday night.

strobogo

Banned
Couple thoughts:

Is there anyone who has improved so much in such a short time than Titus O'Neil? I mean, he was awful on NXT season 2. Just terrible. Then he came back on Redemption and it was like, "hmm, dude looks like he's got his shit together", and then the PTP have become one of the best parts of whatever show they're on. Granted, he looked more lost than I've seen anyone look in years in the 6 man on The Main Event, but he's improved so much.

Something has bothered me about VINTAGE for a long while. When Undertaker came back as the Biker Taker and started doing the leg drop on the apron, Cole and JR both always called it as VINTAGE UNDERTAKER. But he never did that move until he was in that gimmick, so it couldn't be VINTAGE at all. It bothered me at the time and never went away.

JBL looks old as FUCK in HD.

McNei1y

*McNei1y stands on the top rope pointing towards Bootaaay and the Titantron yelling out in frustration.*

"I look forward to our... appointment"

Izick

*Bootaaay's music hits*

"Now, hold up son...maybe it's YOU who has no idea. No idea what you're in for when you face SoulPlaya this coming Monday, live on GWL! But, you sound to me like a man with a point to prove, and I admire that - so, why don't you show me, show the fans and show SoulPlaya what McNei1y is all about this coming Monday, and prove you ain't all bullshit and bluster by winning King of the Ring!"

God DAMN! That was a crazy bump for Corino to be taking at his age. No give in that guardrail whatsoever.

Yeah it was a fucking brutal fall, everyone was chanting "this is awesome" as the like the whole match happened. Oh and as he waked out after refusing to be carried out on a stretcher, everyone was clapping for him and Steen was in the middle of a promo, so he yelled "stop clapping and listen to me!"

Sounds like ROH has been getting it together again since the Canadian PPV. Happy to see it!

It was so amazing and so much fun. I'm going to go again for sure!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Couple thoughts:

Is there anyone who has improved so much in such a short time than Titus O'Neil? I mean, he was awful on NXT season 2. Just terrible. Then he came back on Redemption and it was like, "hmm, dude looks like he's got his shit together", and then the PTP have become one of the best parts of whatever show they're on. Granted, he looked more lost than I've seen anyone look in years in the 6 man on The Main Event, but he's improved so much.

Absolutely, he's come a long way. He's great!

Is there anyone who has improved so much in such a short time than Titus O'Neil?

He's still pretty green, but I think he's coming into his own since they got the PTP gimmick in terms of confidence and charisma.

For my money, the most meteoric rise has to be Okada's;

Generic young lion > TNA Jobber > IWGP Heavyweight Champion

But it helps that he wasn't ever given a chance in the spot-light until returning to New Japan, no one realised just how much he had improved.

Jamie OD

8554960C-B609-459A-B67C-71C752EEE4CC-478-000000473B54BD13.jpg

My time with WWE 13 has been well spent so far (up on 360 Community Creations by the way).

Izick

Well, golly gee gosh darn DAMN.

To give you a look inside the arena:

Before it happened: "No, he's not going to....what's he going to do with that!? They're going up on the turn-buckle!"

As it happened: "Holy fuck, NO NO NO NO WAY. OH MY SHIT!"

After it happened: "THAT WAS AWESOME *chant*. HOLY SHIT *chant*. THIS IS WRESTLING *chant.*"

Izick

Also it was so weird seeing Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas like 5 feet away from me. Charlie Haas is an amazing heel in person by the way. So many funny comments to the crowd.

New Japan's 'Power Struggle' iPPV on November 11th is now available for pre-purchase;

NJPW "40TH ANNIVERSARY POWER STRUGGLE", 2012.11.11
Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM

iiERsqtVzcSYf.jpg

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/njpw1972 - $25, VOD until 11/15 JST

• Togi Makabe & Wataru Inoue vs Laughter7 (Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata)
  • Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.) (c) vs TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) - IWGP Heavyweight Tag Title Match
  • Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hirooki Goto - Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Title Contendership Match
  • Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Karl Anderson - IWGP Intercontinental Title Match
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Yujiro Takahashi - IWPG Heavyweight Title Match

And the final DGUSA iPPV of this triple shot weekend is tonight;

Final night of the Dragon Gate USA weekend! Join us!

WBVmR.jpg

Open The Freedom Gate Title Match - Four Way Elimination
Johnny Gargano vs. Akira Tozawa vs. AR Fox vs. Ricochet

Tag Team Bonus Main Event
Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito vs. El Generico & Samuray Del Sol

First Time Ever Match
CIMA vs. Sami Callihan

JUST ADDED - No DQ Match
Rich Swann vs. Chuck Taylor

Tag Team Challenge Match
Jigsaw & Fire Ant vs. The Super Smash Brothers

Special Attraction Match
Arik Cannon vs. ACH

Special Challenge Tag Team Match
Tony Nese & Papadon vs. Scott Reed & Caleb Konley with Larry Dallas & Trina

Special Challenge Match
Jon Davis vs.EITA

Also, shitty UK tabloids are claiming that The Rock will appear in 'I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here 2012';

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/im-a-celebrity-2012-line-up-revealed-1416112

Alucard

Banned

strobogo

Banned
I definitely don't remember Regal's GM run being that long. I thought it was a couple of months at the most, not almost 10.

Was it you who said Tanahashi is the Cena of NJPW? Who are the top guys there at the moment?

Yeah, I probably said that at one point or another, in both a negative and positive light. He's very over, sells a lot of merchandise and appeals to a younger audience, but while he is certainly a great wrestler the hardcore fans don't like him as much because of his wrestling style and his booking in the past. He has been involved in some fantastic matches though.

The top guys currently are probably Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito, Hirooki Goto, Togi Makabe & Prince Devitt for the faces, Kazuchika Okada, Minoru Suzuki, Shinsuke Nakamura Katsuyori Shibata & Low Ki for the heels. As far as tag teams go, Apollo 55 and TenKoji are very over, while Time Splitters are gaining popularity. And, of course veterans like Liger, Nagata, Kojima, Tenzan & TAKA are perennially over.

Speaking of Shibata, I watched this match of his earlier and loved it - just an awesome, hard-hitting fight between the veteran ass-kicker Akiyama and the arrogant upstart Shibata;

Jun Akiyama vs Katsuyori Shibata - (W1 04/08/05)

strobogo

Banned
Wasn't Shibata supposed to be the savior of puro for a while there and then totally flaked out to do MMA instead? And now he's back? So, he's the Brock of puro?

Adam Cole with the old and new ROH TV Titles;

iboCMpZcDAmd9h.jpg

Wasn't Shibata supposed to be the savior of puro for a while there and then totally flaked out to do MMA instead? And now he's back? So, he's the Brock of puro?

Yeah, he and Kazushi Sakuraba returned last August, saying they're dissatisfied with the state of wrestling today and want to change things up. It's pretty much another pro-wrestling vs shoot-style feud, trying to reignite the same heat of the old NJPW/UWF rivalry.

strobogo

Banned
There were a few different NJPW/UWF feuds, right? The 80s one, a mini one in the mid 90s, and then another one in the late 90s. That's what I seem to remember from my puro days. But the late 90s could have been just shoot vs puro in general. I feel like that and general promotion invasion (especially in the past 5-8 years) have been as over relied on in puro as corrupt authority figure has been in the US.

There were a few different NJPW/UWF feuds, right? The 80s one, a mini one in the mid 90s, and then another one in the late 90s. That's what I seem to remember from my puro days. But the late 90s could have been just shoot vs puro in general.

There was the mid-80's feud, which was New Japan vs the guys who left to form UWF, but when it folded later in the decade and many of the ex-NJPW guys returned, they did a UWF invasion angle. The mid 90's feud was New Japan vs UWFi, but was strictly booked as a promotion feud and not an invasion, and I don't recall one after that, as shoot-style kinda died off in Japan and was left to smaller indies like BattlArts & FUTEN, and Inoki IGF crap in recent years.

strobogo said:
I feel like that and general promotion invasion (especially in the past 5-8 years) have been as over relied on in puro as corrupt authority figure has been in the US.

Yeah, I think it's a result of the downturn of business in general, and promotions drawing smaller crowds are often relying on inter-promotional bookings to help make their big shows seem special.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, he and Kazushi Sakuraba returned last August, saying they're dissatisfied with the state of wrestling today and want to change things up. It's pretty much another pro-wrestling vs shoot-style feud, trying to reignite the same heat of the old NJPW/UWF rivalry.

So they're just copying what Nakamura and CHAOS did with strong style.

So they're just copying what Nakamura and CHAOS did with strong style.

Yeah, but with more of an MMA flavour. They're going straight after Togi Makabe too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sakuraba & Shibata align with CHAOS at some point, but the group is so big as it is. Also, a Nakamura vs Okada power struggle feud is surely inevitable at some point.

Aiii

So not worth it
I maintain Linda shouldn't have distanced herself from WWE at all.

Just all out acknowledge WWE, and all it's ENTERTAINMENT shenanigans and go for the silly vote. I mean Schwarzenegger got elected for doing action movies, why can't Linda be elected for pretending to be catatonic while her husband makes out with female wrestlers?

Top Bottom