• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You two go back to GhostWrassleGAF and go have your ghost problems
wtEYU.gif

bangai-o

Banned
I think Aksana is just irredeemably horrible, whereas Layla has improved a whole lot since returning from injury and has had some good matches this year with the likes of Beth, Nat, Eve & AJ. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss her as one of the bad ones. Plus, I absolutely LOVE her low-angle armdrag into a La Magistral Cradle combo, which she always executes very crisply.

Technically, I would agree, but I also think Paige is better at the ring psychology side of things and, as such, is capable of telling a great story in the ring. Also, her strikes are better than most, especially in WWE.

And yeah, they would be crazy to not do something with SDR at some point. I would like to see them introduce her on-screen as the trainer and general manager of the Divas division.
its not Aksana tht is horrible. once again this is a case of the girls performing better on Superstars or NXT. i had also tried to defend Alicia Fox in the past and you guys just post the Beth potato pic. i think the current problem is Kaitlin. she is like Ryback. she has the mass but but somehow still cant lift the opponents. see thst failed back body drop on Aksana? how was Aksana supposed to turn over when Kaitlin barely took her 4 feet off the mat?

Aiii

So not worth it
Most of the wonen in WWE are perfectly fine in the ring, but they get to little time, so its part ring rust due to inactivity and part not being able to showcase it in the minute they get for their match.

Still hoping it'll get better, but when they fail to have AJ perform even though she is heavily featured in storyline that hope goes straight out the window.

Kyoufu

Most of the wonen in WWE are perfectly fine in the ring, but they get to little time, so its part ring rust due to inactivity and part not being able to showcase it in the minute they get for their match.

Still hoping it'll get better, but when they fail to have AJ perform even though she is heavily featured in storyline that hope goes straight out the window.

Most of them are terrible. They're not given time for a reason.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Monday Night Nitro 1-3-2000

I know this is a super long post, but hopefully I'll end up doing this for most Nitro/Thunder/PPVs for the year 2000 until I want to kill myself more than usual. They probably won't be this long going forward if anyone wants me to do them at all.

TLDR: The first Nitro of 2000 sucked a dick.

To catch everyone up to speed, here are the main storylines going into the show:

In December, Bret Hart and Goldberg had formed a tag team before Goldberg challenged Bret for a title match at Starrcade. This was the match that ended up ending Bret's career, but he won via wacky finish. So he vacated the title the next night because NOT THAT WAY and offered Goldberg another shot. Bret won again, this time by interference from The Outsiders. Bret stopped the beat down, but then SWERVED everyone by joining in, eventually pinning Goldberg to win the vacated title. The nWo was then reformed with Bret, Hall, Nash, and Jeff Jarrett. Goldberg promptly injured himself a few days later trying to fight a limo, pretty much killing the storyline. Goldberg was replaced in the storyline with Sid, who was in his car when Bret ran it over with a monster truck, which led to minor injuries. Scott Steiner again did a fake retirement, only to SWERVE everyone and join the new new new world order. Bret Hart vs Sid is scheduled for Souled Out.

Chris Benoit had started a feud with Jeff Jarrett the night of Starrcade, due to his scheduled opponent (Scott Hall) being injured. He was awarded Hall's now vacated US Championship, issued an open challenge, Jarrett accepted, and now there is a feud. They are scheduled for Triple Threat Theater (3 Stages of Hell) match at Souled Out.

The Outsiders had won the WCW Tag Team Championships from Hart/Goldberg prior to Starrcade. But the belts were vacated due to Scott Hall's injury. Yes, WCW felt it was a good idea to put TWO titles on an injury and drunk prone Scott Hall at probably his worst point while employed by WWE or WCW. Anyway, this led to a Lethal Lottery tournament for the tag championships.

Buff Bagwell and DDP were in a blood feud over allegations of Buff trying to fuck Kim. DDP claimed he would not wrestle in a WCW ring until he was given a match with Buff.

Lex and Sting were in the off part of their relationship. Lex was now just The Total Package and was going around breaking arms. During their match at Starrcade, Elizabeth was on Sting's side. In the course of the match, she attempted to SWERVE Sting by spraying him in the face with hair spray. However, Sting had learned never to trust his friends and had switched the hair spray with silly string. He won the match, but Lex injured his arm in a post match attack.

The over all story was a new commissioner coming in to get WCW back on track. Brain (who didn't try to hide his hated of his job anymore) suggested Harley Race, Bob Geigel, and Verne Gagne as possible selections.

Now, on to the show.

wcw-nitro-2001-complete-wwe-wcw-tna-free-shipping-d7ea61.jpg

Show starts with some recaps of the nWo stuff. Our first match is a LL match, featuring Buzzkill (and holy fuck, I didn't realize how unbelievable of a knock off Brad was doing of Road Dogg at the time. Same moves, same music, same promos. Jesus. How depressing for Brad Armstrong.) and Mike Rotunda of the recently reformed Varsity Club against The Harris Boys. Kevin Sullivan on commentary with Tenay, Brain, and Tony. And it was just a bunch of really weird INSIDER references from Tenay, while Bobby and Kevin try to be funny while at least one of them is totally drunk. Maybe two minutes into the match, Standards and Practices come out to stop Leia Meow from jumping on the trampoline, which leads to IRS and Sullivan attacking them, which left Buzzkill open for an H-Bomb. The Varsity Club run back to the ring and try to ambush the Harris Boys.

TO THE BACK: The nWo are watching the show, wondering where Bret is. Seconds later he is shown walking into the building. "There he is". Sid, in neck brace, ambushes Bret with some of the most hilarious punches you'll ever see. After a commercial, the rest of the group is checking on Bret with some EMTs. Bret says he's ok, so they beat up the EMTs. A motorcade is shown with the new commissioner in a limo. WHO COULD IT BE? AND WHO'S SIDE IS HE ON?! DDP is walking around the back, Mean Gene stops him to explain that he has a match with Buff at Souled Out, not tonight. "Then why did these idiots send me a ticket for then, man? Our travel department sucks." Mr. Perfect then informs DDP that he's wanted in the ring tonight. DDP asks who is in the ring right now. PG13. He chortles and walks off.

In the ring, PG-13 cut a promo heeling on the trashy crowd. They defeated Rick Steiner and Berlyn via DQ last week. DDP comes out and gives them both a Diamond Cutter while Tenay talks about "SO MANY VARIATIONS". DDP almost fell while coming down the ramp. Wolfpac music starts, DDP bails through the crowd. Then the original nWo music started playing. Then DDP's music, at the same time. Nash gave a lolwtf at the miscue as he and Steiner came out. Nash drops an elbow on Jamie Dundee, hooks the tights, and gets the win. Apparently, this was a Lethal Lottery match. After a break, Double J and Bret come out. Bret cuts a promo on Sid. "So Sid...you big stupid dummy...I'm gonna take you at Souled Out, and I'm not gonna need a truck or anything else, I'm just gonna pound your livin' skull in and beat ya to a pulp, just the way you deserve." Double J wants to take a moment to wish everyone a Slappy New Year. "You know Sid, if Bret wasn't so hot atcha, I'd kick your ass for ya." What? "The way I see it, I might as well kill two slap notes with one stone." What? "Well the way I see it, it's gonna three...it's gonna be a three time ass kickin." Good save. Nash bitches about WCW only having one mic for a group promo. A commish doesn't matter, because the nWo are just going to do the same old shit. Then Steiner talks about some WHITE TRAAAASH.

TO THE BACK: The new commish is pulling up in the parking lot.

Crowbar/David Flair vs Lash LaReoux and Midnight. Stevie Ray comes out for commentary. He doesn't like that big yak. David Flair is so bad. It's amazing how bad he is. He literally looks like a training dummy. It's hilarious. David Flair has a crowbar, and Crowbar has a lead pipe. Because Crowbar having a crowbar would be like WWE having more than one person named Steve on the roster at a the same time. Stevie Ray pulls Midnight out of the ring and punches her in the face, with the ref trying to break them up, but doesn't call for a DQ. Booker comes out to fight Stevie Ray. Stevie Ray hits Booker with a slapjack. Lash has the match won by himself, until the the Mamalukes come in and attack Lash while David and Crowbar lock up and start wrestling. David then gets the pin. Maybe 5 minutes. 3 matches, all tag matches, all under 5 minutes, all with wacky finishes. Sounds like Nitro.

TO THE BACK. Lex dressed as Sting and Liz are on their way to the ring. Limo is show again. Lash and Disco are arguing over the finish of the last match. Lash is again attacked. But before that he said "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE MY FRIEND".

Sting's music hits, but it is of course Lex and Liz. Fake fake Sting calls out a "useless" wrestler. Tank Abbott comes out. Lex begs off, Liz sprayed pepper spray in Tank's face, and then they calmly walk off. But then a wild Jerry Flynn appears and starts kicking Tank around. They are scheduled for a match in The Block at Souled Out. It's a Boiler Room Brawl. Lex and Liz freak out at the top of the ramp, because Sting's bird is just hanging out.

TO THE BACK. The nWo attempt to confront the new commissioner in his limo, but security stops them.

Rob Garder, spokesman for WCW Executive Bill Busch, comes down to introduce the new commissioner. I don't think he's ever used a mic before. He talks about "the writers with iron clad contracts" who have thrown the company into constant turmoil. "Two weeks ago, as many of you probably know, the Powers That Be SWERVED the entire whole world and reformed the nWo. Their boys." Yep, Russo used a random Turner exec to give a worked shoot about HIMSELF, and used "swerved" in the promo. Terry Funk announced as the new commissioner. They give a lot of crowd shots that are hilarious because a few of the younger people are shocked, but most of the shots are of middle aged dudes with beers looking bored out of their minds. He took the job out of his love of real "perfessional" wrestling, real pain, real other stuff. Not paper tigers created by the Powers That Be. Then he calls the nw uh oh a bunch of fat hogs. Oh shit, he's SHOOTING, folks. Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara are throwing out easy money! He actually says "Ed Ferrari" and then says he wants to blow their brains out. By sticking a fire rocket up their asses. He brings Arn Anderson out to be his enforcer. Big "WE WANT FLAIR" chant fires up pretty instantly. More stuff about REAL EMOTIONS, because he didn't script it with a pen and erase it with an eraser. Just a bunch of shooty stuff, saying Russo every few sentences. nWo hit up the ramp, Funk starts booking stipulations for Souled Out. Bret will lose the title if the nWo interferes in the match. Bret already said he was giving the nWo the night off because he doesn't need them to beat Sid. Arn is also the special ref. JJ is now booked against Sid for the US Championship in a POWERBOMB MATCH! Even though Sid isn't cleared to wrestle until Souled Out. Nash/Steiner are now in a tag title match tonight. Way to spoil the Lethal Lottery tournament, Terry. Nash grabs a mic "Hey Funk. First off, I thought you were dead." Punk was a big time 2000 WCW fan. He calls Funk Wyatt Earp, which makes Arn Doc Holiday. And Arn is already dead and buried from tuberculous. He threatens to beat up David Flair and says they make the rules. This was...not very good.

TO THE BACK. Arn and Funk give security some directions.

Buff Daddy/Chris "Champag ne" Kanyon (Not a typo. That was what Kanyon's name plate said.) vs Norman Smiley (dressed in the Greenville Growls mascot) and Asya. However, before the match, Buff smashed the champag ne bottle over Kanyon's head, intentionally causing himself to be in a handicap match. Buff wins with a Blockbuster to Norman after Smiley accidentally hit Asya with the mascot head. Then Saturn, Malenko, and Douglas come down. Saturn and Asya don't get along well, apparently. Out runs Hacksaw Janitor Jim Duggan and takes them all out until they gang up on him. This brings out the Filthy Animals for the save.

TO THE BACK. Arn and Terry are looking for David Flair. So are the nWo. Daffney pops up in a random closet with Terry and Arn.

Nash/Steiner vs The Harris Brothers. The bros got a jobber entrance, and Steiner is on commentary instead of wrestling. Nash grabs a bat, the Harris Brothers bail, and while on the floor they are hit with chairs by the Varsity Club. Steiner claims his brother hit them (He didn't. Rick wasn't even out there.) Steiner tagged in and got the pin. Two matches for these guys so far. Steiner with zero bumps, Nash with one.

TO THE BACK. Daffney/Arn/Funk are still talking in what looks like a server room. Daffney walks out and is abducted by Double J. THE ROAD REPORT!

Tournament continues. Buff/Kanyon vs Crowbar/David Flair. Bam Bam attacks Kanyon on the ramp and body slams him off the stage through a table. And now Vampiro comes out. I guess he's going to team up with Buff now. Funk and Arn come out, because they've found David. Vamp doesn't like Arn and Funk being out there, so he shoves Arn around and Funk decks him for it. And then Buff hits a blockbuster on Vamp. David rolls in the ring for the pin. Then drags Crowbar to the back by his hair. And now the nWo music hits. They have Daffney. After David/Crowbar left, but were too busy fighting each other to the back. And Funk/Arn left without David, even though they had been looking for him for 20 minutes.

Sid vs Jeff Jarrett POWERBOMB MATCH for the US Championship. Sid is in his wrestling gear. And a giant neck brace. It looks hilarious. Actually, I think it is on backwards. They fight in front of a bunch of Power Plant guys. All of the Natural Born Thrillers, plus Kwee Wee, Prime Time, Sonny Siaki, and some guy I never saw on WCW or TNA. Double J's colors for the night are silver, black, and salmon. Big chokeslam that appeared to hurt JJ. One of the best ref bumps I've ever seen with JJ sliding under Sid's legs, which drilled Slick Johnson in the ankle. It looked great. Sid hit the powerbomb, but the ref was out. Bret came out and there were some bat attacks. Then they beat up the paramedics. And more spray paint. I believe the count is up to 5 for guys spray painted with the nWo music playing.

TO THE BACK. Crowbar/David Flair are looking for Daffney.

Kevin Nash/Scott Steiner vs David Flair/Crowbar in the finals of the Lethal Lottery WCW Tag Team Championship tournament. Tony talks about Funk and Russo and wonders "who is swerving who?" Indeed, Tony. Indeed. Bell rang, but there is no ref. Funk said he was going to make sure that Nash and Scotty would get screwed tonight. Nash dominates both guys by himself, because Steiner is back on commentary. Steiner makes the announcers agree with him on all the white trraassh. "Tenay turns heel." Arn, Funk, and security come out. Arn has a ref's shirt on. Steiner says that Tenay calling a hurricanranna is bullshit. Arn KOs Nash with a crowbar and throws David on top of him for a quick count. New tag team champions. Jarrett and Hart come out with Daffney. David for some reason hits Arn in the back with the crowbar, no sells a Funk punch, and walks off with Daffney and Crowbar. Then the nWo drags Funk into the ring and Terry throws some WILD and stuff haymakers on Nash. Bret and Jeff are kidnapping Arn while Nash and Steiner have Funk in the ring. Nash hit one of the weirdest powerbombs on Funk. Funk dead weighted him, so Nash just kind of held him upside down like a piledriver for a bit and muscled him up. Arn is in the trunk of the nWo rental car. End of show.

What a mess of a show. 9 matches, 7 of them tag matches, all 5 minutes or under, all ending with interference and/or partners turning on each other. Shooty promos from everyone about the writing and guys making money to do nothing. The nWo spray painting at least 5 people and their music playing at least 10 times. Great show.

As a comparison, Raw that night had Dudleys vs Too Cool, Angle vs Kane, Chyna vs Hardcore Holly, HHH beating Big Show to win the title, Bossman/Albert vs Test/Mae, Moolah, APA vs Mean Street Posse, Jeff Hardy vs Al Snow in a cage, and The Rock vs X-Pac and the Outaws. Only 3 of those were over 5 minutes.

Eddie and Rey were nowhere to be found, Benoit was in Japan, Dean and Saturn were only there for a brief few minutes to argue with Asya, Kidman was only there for a few seconds in the same segment, no other cruisers appeared on the show.

TLDR: The first Nitro of 2000 sucked a dick.

G-Fex

Good man laser

unfortunately I have to sleep in a while so I'll have barely half an hour to try hotline miami whatever the hell it is..

Laserfrog

I got to the point in harvest moon where I could harvest my strawberries and tomatoes but they weren't worth shit. Cow milk, that's where all the money is.

Could someone recommend me some good wrestling podcasts? I want to listen to reactions to Punk's shoot and the following weeks of Summer of Punk '11

I listen to Smart Wrestling Fan but they've put their archive behind a paywall and are releasing old episodes individually on a week-by-week basis
I used to love listening to Smart Wrestling Fan back in the day. After Wiggly stopped doing it I stopped.

I got to the point in harvest moon where I could harvest my strawberries and tomatoes but they weren't worth shit. Cow milk, that's where all the money is.
Get the Seed maker, plant fruit trees, convert the fruit to seeds, amass Millions of Dollars!
*insert PTP gif here*

You guys should talk about the Vidya Game Wrestling in the vidya game wrestling thread, it would be nice to see some familiar faces without having to come here.

I quit AWL within the first 30-60 minutes. I don't think I got a cow :(

The game was bad!

Laserfrog I wish you'd play a GOOD Harvest Moon
I think you start with a Cow, you made one hell of a judgement call from 30 minutes.
But yeah he should play a better one.

You guys should talk about the Vidya Game Wrestling in the vidya game wrestling thread, it would be nice to see some familiar faces without having to come here.
What's wrong with coming here to the house of Wrasslegaf?

Videogames suuuuuck

And Angry Birds Stars is my 2012 GOTY so far.
PNEaM.gif

Top Bottom