• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

tumblr_lxno5siWeS1qcnjyyo1_500.gif

I was reading this weeks observer and Kane got removed from Hall of Fame consideration for the next 2 years because he didn't receive more than 10% of the vote.

also I hope you guys enjoy this gif. Use it properly.

ahmedsmash.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I was reading this weeks observer and Kane got removed from Hall of Fame consideration for the next 2 years because he didn't receive more than 10% of the vote.
Wait, what?

The WWE HoF or the Observer Hall of Fame? Meltzer hates Kane. Not a surprise, if it's that.

Wait, what?

The WWE HoF or the Observer Hall of Fame? Meltzer hates Kane. Not a surprise, if it's that.

Observer Hall of Fame, my bad for not clarifying. It's the active wrestlers, former wrestlers, reporters, and historians that didn't vote for him. I think the dude is hall of fame worthy. He's one of the best big men ever, has been at or near the top of the card for over a decade, he's had to have drawn a good amount of money over the years, and given all the shit he's had to do storyline wise his character is still great.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Observer Hall of Fame, my bad for not clarifying. It's the active wrestlers, former wrestlers, reporters, and historians that didn't vote for him. I think the dude is hall of fame worthy. He's one of the best big men ever, has been at or near the top of the card for over a decade, he's had to have drawn a good amount of money over the years, and given all the shit he's had to do storyline wise his character is still great.
Observer has historically disliked big man wrestlers. Andre didn't get in until years after his death.

Kane certainly deserves to be in, but it won't happen for years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

also I hope you guys enjoy this gif. Use it properly.

ahmedsmash.gif

I love your gifs, Bill! :)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I want all of the dancing gimmicks from yesteryear and today in the ring for one colossal segment during Royal Rumble.

Fandangoo. Brodus Clay. Rikishi. Too Cool. Disco Inferno. Alex Wright. Ernest Miller. Norman Smiley. "Dancing with the Stars" Chris Jericho. Jim Ross.

Cap it off with Ron Simmons proclaiming DAMN. Fun times all around.

Alex wright and disco inferno make this. Add tokyo magnum to the mix as well

Observer has historically disliked big man wrestlers. Andre didn't get in until years after his death.

Kane certainly deserves to be in, but it won't happen for years.

By what criteria does he deserve to in? He's never drawn and he's not especially famous. He's a decent worker at times. That isn't enough.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
By what criteria does he deserve to in? He's never drawn and he's not especially famous. He's a decent worker at times. That isn't enough.
Let me tell you right now. If Kane doesn't deserve to be in a wrestling hall of fame, then ninety percent of current inductees don't deserve to be in there either.

The Wrestling Observer hall of fame has Vader & LOD in it. Those guys are great, but Kane drew just as much (hell, more) than they did. Now, that certainly has to do with having the WWE machine behind him, but nevertheless. I mean, dude, KONNAN is in the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame. Konnan deserves to be in, but Kane doesn't? Please.

Hell, the majority of guys in the Observer HoF never drew a dime and couldn't do half the crap that Kane does in the ring, and few have had his longevity.

Let me tell you right now. If Kane doesn't deserve to be in a wrestling hall of fame, then ninety percent of current inductees don't deserve to be in there either.

The Wrestling Observer hall of fame has Vader & LOD in it. Those guys are great, but Kane drew just as much (hell, more) than they did. Now, that certainly has to do with having the WWE machine behind him, but nevertheless. I mean, dude, KONNAN is in the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame. Konnan deserves to be in, but Kane doesn't? Please.

Hell, the majority of guys in the Observer HoF never drew a dime and couldn't do half the crap that Kane does in the ring, and few have had his longevity.
Vader was a big draw in WCW and in Japan. LOD are probably the biggest tag team of all time. Konnan was, and still is, one of the biggest draws in Mexico.

I'm not saying Kane doesn't deserve it, but those were bad examples.

Alucard

Banned
Kane has been consistently present, but...the Hall of Fame? With the likes of Bret, Shawn, Austin, Savage, and Steamboat? I don't know, guys.

Btw, I just guessed at those names, but I'm assuming they'd all be in.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

LOD are the biggest tag team of all time.
Vader was one of early WCW's biggest heels and one of the most popular gaijins of all time
Konnan was a megastar in Mexico back in the day. People down south used to compare him to Hogan.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Vader was one of early WCW's biggest heels and one of the most popular gaijins of all time
Konnan was a megastar in Mexico back in the day. People down south used to compare him to Hogan.
Dude, I, of course understand why LOD and Vader are in. They certainly deserve to be in, but Kane was a main eventer for a good chunk of the Attitude Era, and has been an upper mid carder and occassional main eventer since then. He's been consistent, healthy, and has pushed merchandise. Hell, the guy starred in his own major theatrical movie that's been the most profitable that WWE has put out. He's also a great wrestler for his size. There's no denying that.

And Konnan was only a HUGE STAR in Mexico for one or two years. The first chance he got to come to the US, he did, and that was it.

Kane has been consistently present, but...the Hall of Fame? With the likes of Bret, Shawn, Austin, Savage, and Steamboat? I don't know, guys.

Btw, I just guessed at those names, but I'm assuming they'd all be in.
Kane is not on those guys' level, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve to be in the HoF. The Observer HoF has plenty of lesser guys in it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dude, I, of course understand why LOD and Vader are in. They certainly deserve to be in, but Kane was a main eventer for a good chunk of the Attitude Era, and has been an upper mid carder and occassional main eventer since then. He's been consistent, healthy, and has pushed merchandise. Hell, the guy starred in his own major theatrical movie that's been the most profitable that WWE has put out. He's also a great wrestler for his size. There's no denying that.

And Konnan was only a HUGE STAR in Mexico for one or two years. The first chance he got to come to the US, he did, and that was it.

But Kane was there because of Undertaker. Kane was always in Undertaker's shadow throughout the main event. He might as well have been Undertaker's third arm. Even when he feud with Stone Cold, it was about Taker not about Stone Cold and Kane.
One problem is that in the U.S. some wrestlers focus more on their image than their skills. I understand because I understand the business. I don’t criticize them for that, but they should understand that for me wrestling means something more. If a guy doesn’t execute a move, I don’t pretend that he did. If I miss a move, then I don’t ask anyone to make me look good.
—Mil Mascaras
orton-dropkick-botch.gif

tm24

The Konnan comeback in 2013 is going to be huge business for AAA. Its crazy

There's more to the criteria than just being involved in the main event and being around for awhile. Kane has never excelled in any regard other than longevity. I know we have the Kane gimmick here but he's nowhere near Hall of Fame quality to me.

tm24

What? Konnan was huge for about 5 years in Mexico before leaving for WCW. And then there's the fact that he is more or less leading lucha back into prominence right now after a stretch where everyone thought WWE was going to kill it and takeover in Mexico

tm24

My favorite part of AAA is the neglect of copyright laws. Eye Of The Tiger rights? Fuck that. Just come out to it anyways.

Dude, thats all of lucha. Its awesome because the song choice is all 80s rock or hip-hop. Its the only place where Final Countdown is still entrance music :(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My favorite lucha match can't be found on the internet seperately, and that's a shame.

Lizmark vs La Parka 2/3 falls from the first Triplemania is the thing that got me into lucha libre.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
There's more to the criteria than just being involved in the main event and being around for awhile. Kane has never excelled in any regard other than longevity. I know we have the Kane gimmick here but he's nowhere near Hall of Fame quality to me.
Well, that's your opinion. I feel that he excels as a big man wrestler (which has rarely been used as criteria for judging HoF status. Most of the guys in the Observer are subpar or average wrestlers). He's also had a pretty good gimmick.

BTW, I don't really see how you can measure "drawing ability" in the modern era. The territories don't exist anymore, folks. However, like I said, he's had the most profitable movie WWE has put out (and it was a real major theatrical release), so I say he can draw.

The criteria for HoF status isn't opinion, it's based on precedent. You look at guys who are already in, and you compare. Kane is more popular, a better wrestler, and has lasted longer than most of the guys in the Observer HoF.

tm24

My favorite lucha match can't be found on the internet seperately, and that's a shame.

Lizmark vs La Parka 2/3 falls from the first Triplemania is the thing that got me into lucha libre.

Give me one hour and that match will be on my youtube channel just for you

Alucard

Banned
Watched Bret vs. Diesel for the WWF Championship at Survivor Series 1995. Diesel was the champ and this was the rubber match between the two men. It was a no DQ match during another PG era, and it was great. A quick recap:

-After the bell rang, Diesel turned around and pulled the padding off his turnbuckle. Seeing this, Bret did the same to his own. Perfect start.
-Diesel owned Bret with typical big man strength for the first 5-8 minutes. Diesel uses a chair on the outside, steps on Bret's face, etc. The match moves at a methodical pace.
-Diesel sets up Bret for the jack knife, but Bret blocks it and proceeds to make his comeback by working over Diesel's left leg. Bret does some chair work, whips Diesel's leg against the post, and in a creative spot, ties up Diesel to one ring post by his leg. They spend over 5 minutes in the same corner trading spots. Very cool.
-Diesel puts Brets head into the exposed turnbuckle and unties himself. Some stuff happens that leaves Bret on the outside ring apron...Diesel comes in and LAUNCHES Bret back onto the Spanish announcers' table. One of the best table spots I've ever seen.
-Bret looks like he's dead. Diesel drags him back in and sets up for the jack knife again. Bret falls flat on his face between Diesel's knees. He looks totally dead and limp. Diesel scoots down to pick him up and...SMALL PACKAGE! 1, 2, 3! Bret is the new champ! He was playing a bit of possum!
-After the match, Diesel is pissed and jack knifes Bret...twice. He knocks out three refs too. He walks away looking like he just won the match, leaving Bret lying face down with the belt by his side. Both guys look like a million bucks after telling a story of war in the ring.

Man. PG wrestling can be truly great if the right story is there and if the guys work on their match ahead of time.

Well, that's your opinion. I feel that he excels as a big man wrestler (which has rarely been used as criteria for judging HoF status. Most of the guys in the Observer are subpar or average wrestlers). He's also had a pretty good gimmick.

BTW, I don't really see how you can measure "drawing ability" in the modern era. The territories don't exist anymore, folks. However, like I said, he's had the most profitable movie WWE has put out (and it was a real major theatrical release), so I say he can draw.

The criteria for HoF status isn't opinion, it's based on precedent. You look at guys who are already in, and you compare. Kane is more popular, a better wrestler, and has lasted longer than most of the guys in the Observer HoF.

Kane being more popular and a better wrestler is extremely debatable. Big Show has been around for around the same time as Kane (guess a few years less) and involved in more main events and had a higher profile. And I wouldn't call him a HoF candidate either.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
What? Konnan was huge for about 5 years in Mexico before leaving for WCW. And then there's the fact that he is more or less leading lucha back into prominence right now after a stretch where everyone thought WWE was going to kill it and takeover in Mexico
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I always viewed his original rise to be in 1991, and his star would ebb and flow due to American wrestling commitments (WWF, ECW). I'm not denying that he was a HUGE STAR, but just not consistent, imo.

Yes, he is leading a revival, but he's already in. I'm not saying that Konnan shouldn't be in. I haven't argued that any of these guys don't deserve it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I always viewed his original rise to be in 1991, and his star would ebb and flow due to American wrestling commitments (WWF, ECW). I'm not denying that he was a HUGE STAR, but just not consistent, imo.

Yes, he is leading a revival, but he's already in. I'm not saying that Konnan shouldn't be in. I haven't argued that any of these guys don't deserve it.

It's about the impact and legacy you have, and Kane falls into the same group as an X-Pac. He's a good company man, and he's great and guiding younger wrestlers, but he's not a wrestling legend, and I doubt he would consider himself a legend. I love Owen to death, and he was kind of Kane and X-Pac 'enhancement talent' before either of them, but he's not on there, and I know exactly why.

Like I said, some people will remember Kane fondly as a good worker, but he had no real effect on the wrestling canvas of history.

tm24

Well, his original rise would be from 90 when he got his big push til he won the title from Perro Aguayo in 91. Then he would jump to AAA in 92, spent 8 months in the states and then from 93-96 was the biggest thing in Mexico.

Also, random trivia. Konnan, Psicosis, Rey, Halloween and Damian 666 all trained together.

Other random trivia: Konnan is Cuban!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Kane being more popular and a better wrestler is extremely debatable. Big Show has been around for around the same time as Kane (guess a few years less) and involved in more main events and had a higher profile. And I wouldn't call him a HoF candidate either.
I wouldn't agree that Big Show has been in more main events. Big Show may have been a World Champ in WCW, but he was rarely main eventing anything (he honestly didn't even know how to wrestle at the time). Kane, however, main evented often throughout the AE. Since then, I don't know. The definition of a "main event" doesn't make sense anymore. You have the WWE putting on like 3 or 4 "main events" on one card. I mean, World Title matches now open WM's. And I don't know if Big Show has a higher profile than Kane. I would wager that if you know who Big Show is, then you know who Kane is, and vice versa.

Big Show probably will be in the Observer HoF one day. And while Big Show does suck, he is, RIGHT NOW, a better wrestler than Andre ever was. Andre's health condition made him practically immobile at times.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's about the impact and legacy you have, and Kane falls into the same group as an X-Pac. He's a good company man, and he's great and guiding younger wrestlers, but he's not a wrestling legend, and I doubt he would consider himself a legend. I love Owen to death, and he was kind of Kane and X-Pac 'enhancement talent' before either of them, but he's not on there, and I know exactly why.

Like I said, some people will remember Kane fondly as a good worker, but he had no real effect on the wrestling canvas of history.
Most guys in the Observer HoF never had any REAL effect on the wrestling canvas of history. If that's the criteria, then every wrestling HoF would only be filled with like 10-15 guys, instead of the dozens that are in there.

And that's also a subjective analysis. I would argue that Kevin Nash had a bigger REAL effect on the day to day lives of wrestlers and the BUSINESS of wrestling than arguably anyone else in the last 30-40 years. It was he (and also Hall) who essentially ushered in guaranteed money as a routine thing for wrestlers. Because of them, the WWE finally started using real paper contracts. That's bigger than any of the other garbage.

BTW, I don't give a fuck, but there's no way Kane and X-Pac are in the same group. No way, and I think anyone in the industry would agree with me. Kane was a world champion in an era when it still mattered. Yes, it was just one day, but nevertheless.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
BTW, I don't give a fuck, but there's no way Kane and X-Pac are in the same group. No way, and I think anyone in the industry would agree with me. Kane was a world champion in an era when it still mattered. Yes, it was just one day, but nevertheless.

For 24 hours. And he was 'co' champion. AGAIN with Undertaker. That says to me 'We don't trust you with the belt'. Where as X-Pac had a feud with Shane that was one of the biggest feuds of the Corporation era
Also, I just meant that both are good at working matches. Even Nash and Michaels have said, if you can't work with X-Pac, you can't work like you said people said about Kane.

Anth0ny

WCW towards the very end was getting pretty good. I really liked Steiner as a heel champion who kept putting babyfaces out of action.

I wish WCW survived. While it probably wouldn't be as big as WWE is today, it'd still allow us to have a viable number 2 option. They would certainly be bigger than TNA, if only because of the name really.

Nitro in 2001 was doing only a bit lower than current Raw numbers. And that was with the competition pulling in 5.0s every week!

What I wouldn't give for HD content of WCW :(

I hope the NWO and Attitude Era DVDs sell really well and make them think about re-releasing uncensored PPVs from that era.

Hell, I'd buy full years of Raw/Nitro from the boom period. There's obviously a very niche market of fans interested in that kind of stuff... so test the waters with a limited run and a high price. Raw from the year 1998 for like $129.

There is so much shit TV put on DVD and sold, I refuse to believe there isn't a viable market for full episodes of Raw on DVD back when wrestling was pulling in 15 million viewers every Monday night.

If WWE was run by a competent human, instead of the Network they'd be working on a subscription based online library of all their content, with apps on digital platforms for viewing it, with a premium subscription option that also gives you streaming PPVs each month.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
If WWE was run by a competent human, instead of the Network they'd be working on a subscription based online library of all their content, with apps on digital platforms for viewing it, with a premium subscription option that also gives you streaming PPVs each month.
It would work well.

Top Bottom