• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

That was actually a pretty good match - Smith seems so much more at home with the Japanese style of wrestling, and he and Archer work well together. That double team powerbomb finish is SICK, and Archer's moonsault on Tenzan looked nasty - he either landed knee first in Tenzan's ribs or his nether regions, lol.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title match next, as Low Ki defends vs Prince Devitt.

I really enjoyed that, a few too many near-falls maybe, but some great stuff regardless.

Devitt defeats Ki to become the new IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion! Devitt (c) vs Ki vs Ibushi for the Tokyo Dome? YES PLEASE!

Sakuraba taps Inoue with a kimura in a tough fought match
. The crowd were well into this one, lots of heat on Laughter7 and some real stiff exchanges between Togi & Shibata. I'm betting on Shibata vs Makabe at the Tokyo Dome.

Okada vs Goto up now!

That was fucking AWESOME! Great match, maybe a touch below their IWGP title match from earlier this year.
Okada picks up the win with a tombstone, followed by the Rainmaker

Nakamura vs Anderson for the IWGP Intercontinental title up next!

Nakamura retains with the Boma-Ye Knee on Anderson
. Really good match with some crazy spots. At one point Anderson hit the Gun Stun off the announce table, draping Shinsuke's ribs across the guardrail. Sick.

Post-match,
Nakamura
calls out Sakuraba! Will he be the next challenger for the Intercontinental Title at the Tokyo Dome?

Next up, the main event as Hiroshi Tanahashi defends against Yujiro Takahashi.

CHIKARA results from last night.

Da Soul Touchaz (Acid Jaz, Marshe Rockett & Willie Richardson) vs. The Batiri (Kodama, Obariyon & Kobald)

The Devastation Corporation vs two hapless fellas

El Generico vs. The Shard

The Swarm (Soldier Ant & deviANT) vs. F.I.S.T. (Chuck Taylor & Johnny Gargano)

Rematch from Milwaukee
Mike Quackenbush vs. Colt Cabana

The Colony (Fire Ant, Green Ant & assailANT) vs. Jimmy Jacobs & The Bravado Brothers (Lancelot & Harlem Bravado)

Gran Akuma vs. Tim Donst

Donst forced Jakob to interfere to give him the victory.

Four Way Elimination Tag Team Match
3.0 (Shane Matthews & Scott Parker) vs. The Mysterious & Handsome Stranger & Sapphire vs. F.I.S.T. (Icarus & Sugar Dunkerton) vs. The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield & Mark Angelosetti)

3.0 walk away with 2 points but the real story in this match is the death of Sapphire the feral pigeon at the hands of Mr. Touchdown.

Campeonatos de Parejas Title Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. The Spectral Envoy (Hallowicked & UltraMantis Black)

Interference from Ophidian and The Batiri cost The Spectral Envoy the titles.

Apparently
Mr. Touchdown MURDERED Saphire :(

This has to go down as the most heinous act in the history of pro wrestling. You can count on three things the MAHS getting his revenge, Veronica leaving Mr. Touchdown, and me booing the ever living hell out of Touchdown at CHIKARA in Cleveland later today!

Enjoy the CHIKARA show man, that Atomico and Fist vs Fist match both look awesome on paper.

Full line-up for the New Japan World Tag League 2012;

Block A;

. Captain Ace: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan
. Always Hype: Togi Makabe & Wataru Inoue
. Sword & Guns: Hirooki Goto & Karl Anderson
. Anti Ageing: Yuji Nagata & Masaaki Mochizuki
. CHAOS: Invincible: Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii
. CHAOS: Ride the Lightning: Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
. Suzuki-gun: Minoru Suzuki & Kengo Mashimo

Block B;

. TenKoji: Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
. Muscle Orchestra: Strong Man & Manabu Nakanishi
. The World's Greatest: MVP & Shelton Benjamin
. CMLL Asesino: Rush & Diamante Azul
. CHAOS: Setting Darkness: Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka
. Complete Players: Yujiro Takahashi & Masato Tanaka
. Killer Elite Squad: Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.

Also, the prospective line-up for January 4th's Tokyo Dome show looks like;

. IWGP Heavyweight Title Match:
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
. IWGP Intercontinental Title Match:
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Kazushi Sakuraba
. GHC Heavyweight Title Match:
If Kojima defeats Morishima on 12/09 it will be Kojima (c) vs a NOAH wrestler, but if Morishima retains and Nagata wins the Global League, it will be Morishima (c) vs Nagata
. Grudge Match: Togi Makabe vs Katsuyori Shibata
. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title Match:
Prince Devitt (c) vs either Low Ki or Kota Ibushi (or both, hopefully)
. IWGP Tag Title Match:
Killer Elite Squad
vs the winners of the World Tag League.
. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Title Match:
Time Splitters (c) vs Forever Hooligans

*edit, December 2nd, the Finals of the World Tag League, will be the next New Japan iPPV!

We boo'd Carroll out of the building last season. Didn't help him score any :p

That was when he wasn't expecting fans of his former club to so vehemently boo the shit out of him - this time around, he knows better and will hopefully have a point to prove. Also, that was LOLerpool, this time you're up against Well Fed Sam's Claret & Blue Army ;)

Guzim

I'm watching WWE Saturday Morning Slam (even though it's airing on a Sunday morning), and I was wondering, why are some shirts of the audience censored?

KissVibes

Banned
I'm watching WWE Saturday Morning Slam (even though it's airing on a Sunday morning), and I was wondering, why are some shirts of the audience censored?

Because this is a kids show and some shirts might not be appropriate.

Also: they might not have the rights to show the shirt.

I just realised the next New Japan & CHIKARA iPPVs are on the same day (December 2nd), and only 8 hours apart at that. Gonna be an awesome day of wrestling.

Speaking of, CHIKARA's iPPV 'Under the Hood', the Season 11 Finale, is available to pre-order now for $14.99;

http://smvod.com/premium-video/chikara-under-hood-live-ippv-december-2

*edit, random, Human Tornado wrestled on the CZW show last night, tagging with Toby Klein. Wonder if this is just a one-time thing or what, as I'd love to see Tornado back in PWG. Also, Tremont's mystery partner was
New Jack
who got a huge pop, and they set up
DJ Hyde vs Matt Tremont
for the Cage of Death this year, which is live via iPPV on December 8th;

http://hybrident.tv

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kidd get the MITB briefcase next year.

It's a nice thought, and I'd definitely like to see Kidd get a meaningful push, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the guy who does little all year and then ends up having the craziest spot in the MITB match without actually winning (aka another Shelton Benjamin, Kofi Kingston or Evan Bourne).

Forkball

They need to get rid of MITB. They don't use it well so what's the point.

You don't think burying your MitB winner for months and then giving them a short, pointless reign helps superstars? Just ask Swagger/Fandangoo.

Anyways, let's talk about random one-off world title matches. No real feud, no real purpose, but somehow, someway, so and so gets a title shot. I specifically remember watching The Rock vs. Bubba Ray Dudley on Smackdown for the WWF Championship. I cannot find this video for the life of me, but I swear it happened. I remember thinking it was a good match.

Bret Hart vs. 123 Kid (part 2)
Jeff Hardy vs. John Morrison (part 2)
Sheamus vs. Zack Ryder
Triple H vs. Taka Michinoku
Chris Jericho vs. Maven

Striker

Owen Hart
Mr. Perfect
Tyson Kidd
Low Ki
Vader
Monty Brown
Tajiri
William Regal
Ultimo Dragon
DDP
Scott Steiner
Owen should have been in the title hunt for more than he was given. He had excellent stuff with Bret in the mid 90's, and he worked great with Austin and HBK as well. He was one of those guys who could play a cowardly heel to a tee, but also be a cheerful face without looking too generic.

Add MVP to the list. That Youtube link with he and Shelton tagging was really nice, and it looks like he's having a blast over there. With how you're set in this WWE booking craze, you can take a guess to say many of them don't enjoy it much and just stay on to collect a paycheck or are content with being on TV.

DMczaf

Thanks WWE.com

20121109_Referees_Gone_Rogue_EP_LARGE_L.jpg

Hoarr

Neo Member
I've read a few things in the past about how crazy WCW Mayhem 2 was going to be, wonder how much of it was developed. Suppose some of it went into the defjam stuff? maybe

Some images for good measure

I'm convinced that you guys are all high or that there's some bad info out there, because all those screens look like a cleaned up WCW Backstage Assault. That truck area, the boiler rooms -- all in that game. The game was the sequel to WCW Mayhem, but it wasn't even released for the PS2...but it did ship in Q4 2000, which makes me believe that you guys are building up a game in your minds that ended up to be quite terrible.

Seriously, I bought it yesterday at a shop downtown, because I never owned it originally and it's laughably bad. Good times.

G-Fex

good luck trying to bug me DM.

Finished the NWO main video portion.

Makes me pretty sad, sadly I didn't get to tune into WCW when NWO was at it's peak

Truly like the best thing to happen to wrestling.

Makes me sad it really jumped the shark and fell apart, great talent, great new idea and just legendary in every way.

strobogo

Banned
good luck trying to bug me DM.

Finished the NWO main video portion.

Makes me pretty sad, sadly I didn't get to tune into WCW when NWO was at it's peak

Truly like the best thing to happen to wrestling.

Makes me sad it really jumped the shark and fell apart, great talent, great new idea and just legendary in every way.

The nWo stuff was stale by mid 1997. Should have ended or changed dramatically after Starrcade 1997. Instead, they just kept it going strong for another year and a half. Then tried it again. I love that Russo's big way to save WCW was by bringing back the nWo..but THIS time it is different. It's black and SILVER. Totally not the same thing!

Couple of new PWG DVD releases, firstly PWG Sells Out, Volume 3, which features 3 discs worth of awesome matches from PWG's past;

ibm2CXPoN2y7Cv.jpg

http://www.highspots.com/p/pwg-sells-out-3.html

Disc One
Are You Adequately Prepared to Rock? - October 4, 2003
1. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. B-Boy & Super Dragon

Zombies Shouldn't Run - August 6, 2005
2. Quicksilver vs. Super Dragon

2006 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 2 - September 2, 2006
3. Arrogance ("Photogenic" Chris Bosh & Scott Lost) vs. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. B-Boy & Homicide

All Star Weekend V - Night 1 - August 27, 2007
4. El Generico vs. "The Man That Gravity Forgot" PAC

2007 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 3 - September 2, 2007
5. Claudio Castagnoli vs. "The Man That Gravity Forgot" PAC

European Vacation II: Germany - October 28, 2007
6. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. El Generico

Life During Wartime - July 6, 2008
7. The Dynasty (Scott Lost & Joey Ryan) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. KAZMA & MIYAWAKI

Express Written Consent - February 21, 2009
8. Paul London & The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. The Dynasty International (Karl Anderson, Scott Lost, & Joey Ryan)

Disc 2
DDT4 (2009) - May 22, 2009
1. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson & Roderick Strong vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Threemendous II - July 31, 2009
2. Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong

Speed of Sound - August 28, 2009
3. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. The Dynasty International (Karl Anderson & Joey Ryan)

Guerre Sans Frontières - September 4, 2009
4. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Hero

Against the Grain - October 2, 2009
5. El Generico vs. Chris Hero

2009 Battle of Los Angeles - November 21, 2009
6. Kenny Omega vs. Roderick Strong

Kurt Russellreunion - January 30, 2010
7. Chris Hero vs. Roderick Strong vs. Rob Van Dam

Disc 3
As The Worm Turns - February 27, 2010
1. Kenny Omega vs. Davey Richards

Titannica - April 10, 2010
2. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Seven - July 30, 2010
Three-Way Guerrilla Warfare Match
3. ¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

2010 Battle of Los Angeles - September 5, 2010
4. Chris Hero vs. Akira Tozawa

Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison - December 11, 2010
5. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen vs. Akira Tozawa

DDT4 (2011) - November 1, 2008
6. American Wolves (Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

All Star Weekend 8 - Night 1 - May 27, 2011
7. El Generico & Ricochet vs. Nightmare Violence Connection (Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa)

And the second release is a 2-disc collection of El Generico's best matches in PWG; The Many Adventures of El Generico;

ibn8dlIU1Qf6B.jpg

http://www.highspots.com/p/pwg-generico.html

Disc One
Free Admission (Just Kidding) - November 13, 2004
1. El Generico vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen

Beyond the Thunderdome - March 18, 2006
2. El Generico & Quicksilver vs. Arrogance ("Photogenic" Chris Bosh & Scott Lost)

2006 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 3 - September 3, 2006
3. CIMA vs. El Generico

All Star Weekend 4 - Night 2 - October 18, 2006
4. El Generico vs. "The Man That Gravity Forgot" PAC

Giant-Sized Annual #4 - July 29, 2007
5. El Generico & Kevin Steen vs. PAC & Roderick Strong

Giant-Sized Annual #4 - July 29, 2007
6. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. El Generico

2007 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 3 - September 3, 2007
7. El Generico vs. Nigel McGuinness

Express Written Consent - February 21, 2009
8. El Generico vs. Kenny Omega

Threemendous II - July 31, 2009
9. 2 Skinny Black Guys (El Generico & Human Tornado) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Disc 2
Guerre Sans Frontières - September 4, 2009
1. El Generico vs. Shingo Takagi

Speed of Sound - August 28, 2009
Reseda Street Fight
2. El Generico vs. Chuck Taylor

2009 Battle of Los Angeles - November 21, 2009
3. El Generico & Kevin Steen vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Kurt Russellreunion - January 30, 2010
4. El Generico vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger

Seven - July 30, 2010
Three-Way Guerrilla Warfare Match
5. ¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

The Curse of Guerrilla Island - October 9, 2010
6. El Generico vs. Ricochet

2011 Battle of Los Angeles - August 20, 2011
7. Claudio Castagnoli vs. El Generico

Steen Wolf - November 22, 2011
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Ladder Match
8. El Generico vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen

Definitely picking up that Generico set, so many awesome matches.

G-Fex

The nWo stuff was stale by mid 1997. Should have ended or changed dramatically after Starrcade 1997. Instead, they just kept it going strong for another year and a half. Then tried it again. I love that Russo's big way to save WCW was by bringing back the nWo..but THIS time it is different. It's black and SILVER. Totally not the same thing!

Yeah. Way way too many people joined it, making it a bit bland.

BlazinAm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kidd get the MITB briefcase next year.
They need to get rid of MITB. They don't use it well so what's the point.
You don't think burying your MitB winner for months and then giving them a short, pointless reign helps superstars? Just ask Swagger/Fandangoo.

Anyways, let's talk about random one-off world title matches. No real feud, no real purpose, but somehow, someway, so and so gets a title shot. I specifically remember watching The Rock vs. Bubba Ray Dudley on Smackdown for the WWF Championship. I cannot find this video for the life of me, but I swear it happened. I remember thinking it was a good match.

Bret Hart vs. 123 Kid (part 2)
Jeff Hardy vs. John Morrison (part 2)
Sheamus vs. Zack Ryder
Triple H vs. Taka Michinoku
Chris Jericho vs. Maven

Well we know that Wade Barrett is in line for a MTIB win becuase if he didn't get injured he probably be at the top of the card by now. If Sandow is really a Triple H guy I could see him winning the other MTIB.

We also had two good MTIB winners last year in Del Rio and Bryan. Both I wouldn't say either was buried going into to their title runs.

Punk looked good.... Swagger and Fandangoo are not the same person.

Bless you for those matches I will put them in my watch later queue.

John Morrison is probably my favorite wrestler from the late post attitude era.(I call it the exploit era for what it is worth.)

I agree with all of them. Especially putting the title on the Rock. It makes no sense. So then Cena would win it back from him at WM? God help me, that is such a horrible idea.

At this junction I don't want to see the The Rock wrestle.... Much less see Cena be champion.

BlazinAm

That Sheamus match ....like why even have the match in the first place.

If that survivor series team is still lead by Foley, would they set up a Foley/Ziggler match at TLC?

Am i crazy or was Lesnar supposed to come back at SS? Like, wouldn't it have made sense to have a Punk-led team that included Lesnar to combat Ryback?

Yeah, I wonder what they will do with Punk if Cena wins the title at second time in a lifetime?

If Rock wins, the title will not be defended for three months, which means what for story lines? And honestly I'd prefer the Rock put over Taker in his retirement match.

Then it could set off a King of the Ring PPV with the ultimate prize being the title or another title tournament on Raw, culminating at the PPV.

Will it be like the original brand split where there was a Smackdown 6? Punk, Bryan, Sheamus, Sandow, Rhodes and Barrett?

strobogo

Banned
Bubba Rhodes vs HHH in 2002 is probably my favorite one off title matches. I also enjoyed Brock and Taker doing title matches against all the midcarders of Smackdown in 2002.

Top Bottom