• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

Entropia

No One Remembers
You don't think burying your MitB winner for months and then giving them a short, pointless reign helps superstars? Just ask Swagger/Fandangoo.

Anyways, let's talk about random one-off world title matches. No real feud, no real purpose, but somehow, someway, so and so gets a title shot. I specifically remember watching The Rock vs. Bubba Ray Dudley on Smackdown for the WWF Championship. I cannot find this video for the life of me, but I swear it happened. I remember thinking it was a good match.

Bret Hart vs. 123 Kid (part 2)
Jeff Hardy vs. John Morrison (part 2)
Sheamus vs. Zack Ryder
Triple H vs. Taka Michinoku
Chris Jericho vs. Maven

I remember marking out a bit during that HHH vs. Taka match, it was a really good match

He wasn't there because he is growing his hair back in preparation for a return to the ring

It's like the opposite of what Undertaker did, I anticipate dramatic videos of Trips in his mansion sitting by the roaring fire at his mantelpiece grimacing at a newspaper with his "retirement" on the cover.
Hunter yells with both rage and sorrow and strands of hair slowly extend from his head.

BlazinAm

He wasn't there because he is growing his hair back in preparation for a return to the ring

No he was there, he was standing behind his wife. Hard to say where or not he is letting his hair grow out.

Bubba Rhodes vs HHH in 2002 is probably my favorite one off title matches. I also enjoyed Brock and Taker doing title matches against all the midcarders of Smackdown in 2002.

Dusty Rhodes versus HHH happened?

Yeah that is true, all those title defenses on smackdown were great ways to expose the shear depth and style that they had on the show. 2002-2004 was when I thought the draft was a great thing because it allowed for more wrestlers to be exposed.

Am i crazy or was Lesnar supposed to come back at SS? Like, wouldn't it have made sense to have a Punk-led team that included Lesnar to combat Ryback?

I think that the wwe is leaking out bad info so they can get some sort of hold over people who care.

Rock would have to defend the title between Royal Rumble and Mania otherwise he'd be violating the 30 Day rule, duh.

They will protect him to the end of the world. Besides the movie business is his main job, wrestling is a side job to him at the end of the day.

He has more leverage than anyone on the roster, he does his skits and backstage segments and people will eat it up.

strobogo

Banned
No. Bubba Ray vs HHH. Bubba was pretty much a Dusty Rhodes tribute character at that time (with a slight bit of Cactus Jack thrown in). If I'm not mistaken, he gave HHH an awkward powerbomb either in the match, at a house show, or during an angle and that pretty much stopped his push he was getting. Then he was Brock's first "pick on someone your own size" match. Then he did nothing for 9 years until Bully Ray.

iFA38v55pZtMP.gif

iRurwXos9SdGC.gif

BlazinAm

No. Bubba Ray vs HHH. Bubba was pretty much a Dusty Rhodes tribute character at that time (with a slight bit of Cactus Jack thrown in). If I'm not mistaken, he gave HHH an awkward powerbomb either in the match, at a house show, or during an angle and that pretty much stopped his push he was getting. Then he was Brock's first "pick on someone your own size" match. Then he did nothing for 9 years until Bully Ray.

whoa, I am watching the Raw match right now... just started.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4g8ru_raw-30-09-2002-triple-h-vs-bubba-ra_sport

Edit: I will look out for that.

Aiii

So not worth it
There's totally a PPV tonight you guys! OMG!

Quick prediction time:
Ladder Match For The TNA World Championship:
Austin Aries vs. (c) Jeff Hardy

#1 Contender’s Match:
Bobby Roode vs. James Storm vs. AJ Styles

Tag Team Championship Match:
Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez (c) vs. Christopher Daniels & Kazarian

No DQ Match For The Television Championshpip
Magnus vs. (c) Samoa Joe

Devon vs. Kurt Angle

X Division Championship:
Rob Van Dam (c) vs. Joey Ryan

Tara & Jesse vs. ODB & Eric Young

DOC from Aces & Eights vs. Joseph Park

SoulPlaya

more money than God
He uses belt wax they use on the belts on himself.

Nash pulled it off better.

Nash was tag teamed with Hall.

Kane was tag teamed with.................................................X-pac.
And Mankind, and Undertaker, and RVD, and Hurricane, and Big Show, and Daniel Bryan.

Alucard

Banned

Quick prediction time:

#1 Contender’s Match:

Magnus vs. (c) Samoa Joe

Devon vs. Kurt Angle

X Division Championship:

Oh shit, that's tonight? Hope it's good!

strobogo

Banned
Sadly, I think AJ is as unsalvageable as Joe. He's been dicked around too many times. He can win tonight and win the title and it won't matter. He's now forever a midcarder and after thought. It's unreal. I mean, dude is so fucking good. But he's never going to be the face of the company again. It's all over for him in TNA. The only way his career can get any higher is with some extreme rehab in WWE, and I don't see that happening.

Every time they've given him a chance to be THE TNA star, they push him aside for whatever WWE/WCW/ECW guy they could get. They've been doing it since the Nashville days, too. TNA basically treats AJ like WCW treated Sting from Hogan's arrival until the end.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What if Styles and Joe go to the E?

What if WWE buys out TNA tomorrow. As unlikely as that is. Who would they bring over? Would they bring over their castaways?

BlazinAm

Quick prediction time:

#1 Contender’s Match:

Magnus vs. (c) Samoa Joe

Devon vs. Kurt Angle

X Division Championship:

I could see it going the other way.

Alucard

Banned
My booking idea for Samoa Joe:

Have him hold onto the TV title and cut a scathing promo about how he's interested in bigger and better things. He challenges for and wins the Heavyweight title. Holding both belts, he gets booked as a monster. He defends the TV title on a weekly basis while holding the main belt. Once every two or three months, he wrestles twice on Impact...one match defendings the TV title, and one match defending the main belt. He keeps both and is constantly booked as a monster...he gets mic time, he becomes the hood ornament of the company, and he becomes the biggest deal in wrestling, period.

Other ideas?

My booking idea for Samoa Joe:

Have him hold onto the TV title and cut a scathing promo about how he's interested in bigger and better things. He challenges for and wins the Heavyweight title. Holding both belts, he gets booked as a monster. He defends the TV title on a weekly basis while holding the main belt. Once every two or three months, he wrestles twice on Impact...one match defendings the TV title, and one match defending the main belt. He keeps both and is constantly booked as a monster...he gets mic time, he becomes the hood ornament of the company, and he becomes the biggest deal in wrestling, period.

Other ideas?

Have him as the man that destroys A and 8.

In lethal look-down have the rest of his team eliminated and then have him beat the rest of A and 8 alone.

It's intermission time at CHIKARA. The first half of the card has been awesome. I'll have a write up later but in the mean time here a picture of my hero and I.

2012-11-11172015.jpg

Alucard

Banned
It's intermission time at CHIKARA. The first half of the card has been awesome. I'll have a write up later but in the mean time here a picture of my hero and I.

2012-11-11172015.jpg

That's really great stuff! You must have been thrilled and had your fanboy spirit running high. Get that hung on a wall!

I have pics with some of my Dragon Gate heroes, including Dragon Kid, CIMA, Naruki Doi, and BxB Hulk. It's really great getting to meet these larger-than-life characters in person.

Top Bottom