• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

All right guys, you want a wrestling confession? well hold on to your hats (especially Pretty Panda).

Eddie Guerrero is simply good, not great and the near mythical status the man is currently presented in is almost entirely because he unfortunately popped his clogs too soon.
When I start watching a dvd of the Rocks best matches and find that one time he faced Eddie on Raw in an unremarkable match on there just because it's Eddie then I groan, I really do.
His title run was uneventful, he's good for those few tearful moments from winning the belt, hugging it out with ****** and the other kind of tearful when he passed but his status feels overly elevated, and then by no fault of the man himself and more of WWE being WWE we had to suffer that Mysterio wankery in early 2006 where everything was Eddie this and Eddie that, brutal.
Then you've got those cheesy face promos like "Think of all the legends that have fought in this ring and won the title, legends like Hulk Hogan! Bret Hart! Stone Cold Steve Austin! The Rock! AND EDDIE GUERRERO!"
Yeah one of these guys isn't like the others.

A good wrestler, a good entertainer but he's not the purest greatness WWE keeps trying to tell me he is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All right guys, you want a wrestling confession? well hold on to your hats (especially Pretty Panda).

Eddie Guerrero is simply good, not great and the near mythical status the man is currently presented in is almost entirely because he unfortunately popped his clogs too soon.
When I start watching a dvd of the Rocks best matches and find that one time he faced Eddie on Raw in an unremarkable match on there just because it's Eddie then I groan, I really do.
His title run was uneventful, he's good for those few tearful moments from winning the belt, hugging it out with ****** and the other kind of tearful when he passed but his status feels overly elevated, and then by no fault of the man himself and more of WWE being WWE we had to suffer that Mysterio wankery in early 2006 where everything was Eddie this and Eddie that, brutal.
Then you've got those cheesy face promos like "Think of all the legends that have fought in this ring and won the title, legends like Hulk Hogan! Bret Hart! Stone Cold Steve Austin! The Rock! AND EDDIE GUERRERO!"

A good wrestler, a good entertainer but he's not the purest greatness WWE keeps trying to tell me he is.

To be honest, Eddie was better in WCW before he got ahold of a lot of them roids. But that's the Eddie that got most over, apparently.

lWo was good goddammit.

G-Fex

What about.....

Jeff Hardy?

Kaladin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAndeYqHya0

G-Fex

Confession

G-Fex sucks

tg4bU.jpg

DMczaf everybody

Just saw the report for Power Struggle. Very happy that the Time Splitters are the new tag champs. Not happy that the Jr. Tanahashi, Devitt, has the gold again, as I felt Low Ki could have done way more with the belt, and it looks like we're going to get Devitt/Ibushi again for the Dome Show...not that I'm complaining, but I'd like to see some fresh matchups, not to mention a Time Splitters/Apollo 55 match would be amazing.

Also, I'm a little mad Anderson didn't win the IC title, as I can see them doing more with Nakamura, but now it looks like Nakamura, Goto, and Anderson will be a part of the now-typical NOAH matches.

bangai-o

Banned

there are probably five wrestlers in the history of this industry that can be over as a heel and as a face. Eddie is one of them. Combine that with his in ring ability, and the fact that he is Mexican and not a big man in a Vince run company, then yes, he is "mythical".

Eddie was always best outside of WWE, because (for a variety of reasons) his runs there could have been so much more - my first introduction to him was in the 1994 New Japan Super Jr. tournament, and his match with Wild Pegasus (***** ******) absolutely blew me away, although their 1996 encounter is better looking back.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and check out the Super J '94 - awesome show;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vP7ud836k

Glad to see another member of the Portia Perez club. Her and rachelnsummerlyn are great

Yeah, big fan of Portia & Rachel - I'd say the best 5 women's wrestlers in the US today are;

. Cheerleader Melissa
. Jessica Havok
. Portia Perez
. Rachel Summerlyn
. Rain

Also impressed with up and coming wrestlers like Kimberly, Jessica James/Lady Poison, Leah Von Dutch and Courtney Rush.

GodDuckman said:
Just saw the report for Power Struggle. Very happy that the Time Splitters are the new tag champs. Not happy that the Jr. Tanahashi, Devitt, has the gold again, as I felt Low Ki could have done way more with the belt, and it looks like we're going to get Devitt/Ibushi again for the Dome Show...not that I'm complaining, but I'd like to see some fresh matchups, not to mention a Time Splitters/Apollo 55 match would be amazing.

Also, I'm a little mad Anderson didn't win the IC title, as I can see them doing more with Nakamura, but now it looks like Nakamura, Goto, and Anderson will be a part of the now-typical NOAH matches.

I'm really hoping they do a 3-way deal for the Jr. Heavyweight Title, despite the fact that Japan doesn't really do 3-ways, and certainly not when a belt is on the line. But, even so, both Ibushi & Ki have open rematches - Devitt (c) vs Low Ki vs Ibushi would be pretty awesome to see, and I've no doubt those guys could pull it off.

I agree about Anderson - I really wanted him to win. Shinsuke is awesome, but Anderson is very deserving of a singles run at some point, imo. Also, they've already confirmed a few matches for the Tokyo Dome;

. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada
. Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba
. Togi Makabe vs Katsuyori Shibata

Really interested in Nakamura/Sakuraba - Shinsuke says he wants the match because he isn't "MMA Nakamura" any more, but rather "crazy, sexy Nakamura" and that him facing Sakuraba will make for a unique clash of styles.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Your's is the complete opposite of mine so Nocturnowl,

http://youtu.be/ORW1kuxx2xY?t=11s

jmdajr

Cena vs Punk?

Monday Night Football match not exactly that great.

Isn't the PPV until next week?

edit: guess not.

edit edit: Cm Punk has finally matched Diesels record! Not bad for short order cook!

G-Fex

Triple H is pushing to sign Sting o_O

YAY

Then he can make the Stinger get back into better shape and he'll finally have that match with taker and he'll be the face of the WWE.

God i'm such a sting mark, how come the stinger doesn't have his own DVD?

jmdajr

YAY

Then he can make the Stinger get back into better shape and he'll finally have that match with taker and he'll be the face of the WWE.

God i'm such a sting mark, how come the stinger doesn't have his own DVD?

So you are ok with Sting losing?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It's not a in ring deal

It's a name and likeness agreement. WWE puts Sting in the Hall Of Fame and in turn WWE gets to put out Sting wrestling figures and DVDs.

Kaladin

WWE broke two of their all-time records over the weekend with Wrestlemania 29's on sale.
The company moved the most tickets in the first day of ticket sales in their history, selling 52,029 tickets. Their previous record was Wrestlemania 18 (Rock vs. Hulk Hogan) in 2002 in Toronto, which sold 51,620 tickets on day one.

WWE also garnered their highest gross ticket revenue after day one with more than $10 million in tickets sold. This beats WrestleMania 28 in Miami, which grossed $6.3 million in revenue on the first day of ticket sales.

Needless to say, they are onto a really massive live gate for that show.

and according to Mike Johnson of pwinsider, no plans beyond the Royal Rumble have even been made yet.....none.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
AND DLC FOR WWE '13 HMM HMM?

Probably too late for WWE 13. Perhaps 14 if it's a 14.

Sting DVD collection would be Mid-South and WCW stuff. They want him for the bio part of the dvd and commentary for his matches. I guess his TNA contract is nearly up and TNA wrote him off tv last week.

To be honest, Eddie was better in WCW before he got ahold of a lot of them roids. But that's the Eddie that got most over, apparently.

lWo was good goddammit.
Well hang on, i'm not so much critiquing his in ring ability, more of that WWE specific super status.

What about.....

Jeff Hardy?
Jeff Hardy annoys me because I was a fan to an extent, I paid out money to watch the awful Survivor Series 2008 with both a Kozlov main event and returning from injury Super Cena just in the hopes that I could see Jeff finally win the big one but WWE had to go all nonsense booking with that one and then did it the next month instead.
But over time i've really grown to dislike his many screw ups, the Victory Road situation was the final straw, fuck Jeff Hardy, at least younger me will always love his ladder match antics.

See I watched this and I know it's good but I guess Eddie just doesn't do a lot for me.

there are probably five wrestlers in the history of this industry that can be over as a heel and as a face. Eddie is one of them. Combine that with his in ring ability, and the fact that he is Mexican and not a big man in a Vince run company, then yes, he is "mythical".
There is something incredibly wrong with this post, it's grammatically correct, it's immaculate, what the hell is going on here?!

In truth I didn't warm to Eddie at all until the ridiculous Rey Mysterio storyline with the "i'm your papi" nonsense, it was in many ways awful but he made it work, shame he went and died like 2 months later when I was finally becoming a fan, I was looking forward to seeing how he'd inevitably turn on Batista.

Actually there was also that one time with the playboy mansion as well.

Eddie was always best outside of WWE, because (for a variety of reasons) his runs there could have been so much more - my first introduction to him was in the 1994 New Japan Super Jr. tournament, and his match with Wild Pegasus (***** ******) absolutely blew me away, although their 1996 encounter is better looking back.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and check out the Super J '94 - awesome show;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vP7ud836k
I heard ****** so i'm in but which match in particular am I aiming for here? I assume Black Tiger 2.
Of course I know you want me/us to watch the whole thing, maybe i'll glance at some others.

Well that confession sure got a reaction, okay here's one more.
Brock Lesnar bores the hell out of me, I have no love for any of his matches, the idea that I might have to sit through a Lesnar match at WM next year leaves me colder than a John Cena title victory, unlike with Eddie nothing you can say will even get through to me here so you might as well not bother.

Jamie OD

Not sure if this counts as a wrestling confession, but what the hell...

The absolute worst, most God awful wrestling match I have ever seen involves Rey Misterio Jr in his prime. It was a tag team match that took place in Mexico for what I presume was Konnan's Promo Azteca company, which was either just before or around the same time he worked for WCW. My memory of it is hazy but I still have the DVD of it somewhere in my collection. I might dare myself to watch it again sometime to see if it is as horrible as I originally thought it was. Here's what I can remember.

Primera Caída: The rudos beat up Rey for a while with dirty tactis. Rey tags in his partner but he quickly gets destroyed. First fall goes to the rudos.

Segunda Caída: Here's where it gets stupid. Same beginning as the first fall except this time the rudos use a chair. The ref allows this (turns out he was a heel ref, I did not realize this at the time). Rey tags in his partner again who just stands up to his opponents and shadow boxes for a while. The rudos figure out the guy won't do anything to them and they beat him up. Rey gets a second wind, hits a dive and I think wins the second fall by countout.

Tercera Caída: Here's where the stupidity gets even worse. The rudos beat up Rey with the chair again. Rey's partner tags in and grabs the chair but the ref takes it off him. They then repeat the entire process of Rey getting beat up with the chair and his partner coming to the rescue. This time however Rey's partner makes sure to keep the chair for himself. He squares off with the Rudos, chair in hand and... drops the chair to shadow box some more. I felt like screaming at the TV over how stupid this was. From there I can't remember what happened next, just that the match ended in a DQ for one of the teams.

Might not sound bad but the match felt like it went on forever. There was so much build up to the technicos getting revenge on the rudos for the constant chair attacks but that ended up going nowhere. It was infuriating to watch.

strobogo

Banned

I kind of agree, although I do think he was great and not just good. I just don't think he's some crazy legendary hero of wrestling or anything. If he had just faded off and retired or left and went to TNA, there would be no praise for him in the WWE machine. It's some weird guilt trip that Vince has been on since he died, I think. And it is really pretty gross because it has felt so disingenuous from the day he died. If Eddie hadn't died when and how he died, he'd probably never be mentioned again except for some marky announcers.

He was a career mid/upper carder (which is not a knock on him at all, because most of my favorite guys ever were in that level), not some guy on the level of importance as Austin/Bret/Rock and it is crazy that WWE insists on canonizing him as someone at that level. It's kind of how in the 80s and 90s they'd name drop 70s regional jobbers as "the great ____". I feel like Eddie getting named dropped so regularly (by comparison, at least) is only because much of the audience still has a direct connection to him. If he had died in the 90s, he'd be in the same kind of spot that Brian Pillman is in. He kind of had the same career path, more or less. But when is the last time he got name dropped in a random "great men like" promo? Or even just referenced on commentary? Arguably, he had more impact on the course of the business than Eddie did.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
He wasn't going to turn on Batista they were friends and friends gotta hug.

supposedly he was going to take the title from Batista the day he passed :(

Admittedly Eddie being name dropped in promos like that is almost assuredly from a Rey Mysterio promo, though i'm also thinking John Cena at one point, trying to sneak in those extra cheers.

Top Bottom