• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| flipvember qdl flipvember

Zach

Zh6ZO5g.png

(I put a lot of effort into 97Nitros. Thanks for noticing.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As weird as it sounds, watching random old wrasslin' is the only thing keeping me sane today.

bigkrev

The lead story in the Observer this week is on Trump. It's pretty well written. And of course, because Dave is Dave. we get a history of other wrestlers in office

The public has in some cases voted some unqualified celebrities into office. We had Arnold Schwarzenegger as Governor of California, who inherited a bad situation and didn’t improve on it. Many countries have celebrity candidates. Pro wrestlers and MMA fighters like Antonio Inoki, Atsushi Onita, Jesse Ventura, Tony Halme, Hiroshi Hase and Mirko Cro Cop have served in relatively high public office. Inoki is still in office, as he’s been on-and-off for a quarter century even with scandals and at times being seen as a public embarrassment. Onita was a guy who made his fame on promos, but also on how many times he self-inflicted wounds all over his body. Halme was an outright nut. Hase turned the skills he learned as the assistant booker and a notoriously unselfish superstar in the ring during a boom period in business into a serious politician. He’s a heavily respected member of the ruling Cabinet right now, and is viewed now more as a politician who was once a former Olympic athlete and pro wrestling star, than the pro wrestler now serving in the Cabinet.

On a regional basis, there were a lot of similarities with Trump’s win, in a race he was given little chance to do so the day before, and Jesse Ventura’s win in 1998 to become the Governor of Minnesota. Like in this case, the polls gave him no chance of winning until just hours before he won. After the dust cleared, it was described that a bunch of people went on a bender and without thinking, thought it was the cool thing to do to shove it to the establishment by voting for Ventura. Many in the state grew up nearly two decades earlier and watched him give Mean Gene his name and talk about Chump Hogan. He’d cut topical promos on an otherwise often dated-looking popular television show and made people snicker such as when he claimed that Rick Springfield was after his girlfriend.

Ventura had some experience as a small city mayor but ran as a third party independent and his win in a three-person race was due to voters rejecting the typical politicians. Ventura was not considered a good Governor, and was clearly over his head with the job. Even more so, he was far too thin-skinned to survive that level of spotlight and over-scrutiny about every aspect of his life, and quickly grew to hate the Minnesota media. And having dealt with that era, in some cases he was thin-skinned and not accepting the reality of the office, and in other instances, there were people most certainly out to get him and really didn’t care about right or wrong. His term was the classic example of “Be careful what you wish for,” and embittered by the experience, he didn’t even run for a second term. He achieved significant mainstream national celebrity status as a unique Governor, but wasn’t nearly as well regarded within the state. Now, he’s largely faded from the celebrity map after some failed attempts to turn him into a political talk show host.

Hey wasn't that Vice CZW doc supposed to be posted today? Can't find it.

Considering how unexpected yesterday was, there might be a delay on it being posted

Ultratech

This Mascarita/Famous B match has some of the goofiest weapons I've ever seen.

A list of weapons used:

Football Pads/Helmet
Trashcan
Stepladder (a small one)
A Giant Bag of Popcorn
A Bag
Mallets
Wizard Hat
Wizard's Wand
Bowling Ball
Large Portrait of Famous B
Rope
Toilet Paper
Cream Pie
A Giant Pair of Scissors
Famous B's Tie
A Shoe
A Cardboard Cutout of Famous B (not actually used in the match itself)

shaowebb

This Mascarita/Famous B match has some of the goofiest weapons I've ever seen.

A list of weapons used:

Football Pads/Helmet
Trashcan
Stepladder (a small one)
A Giant Bag of Popcorn
A Bag
Mallets
Wizard Hat
Wizard's Wand
Bowling Ball
Large Portrait of Famous B
Rope
Toilet Paper
Cream Pie
A Giant Pair of Scissors
Famous B's Tie
A Shoe
A Cardboard Cutout of Famous B (not actually used in the match itself)

WuLQuPv.gif

Nothing beats the WCW 49ers match though. Famous B straight liftin that gimmick.

somedevil

NXT toronto card so far:

Nakamura vs Joe
Tye vs Roode
Mickie James vs Asuka
Dusty Final
TM-61 vs Authors of Pain
DIY vs Revival 2 out 3 falls

Then this match which might be on the show or taped to air the week after:

Liv Morgan, Ember Moon, aliyah vs Peyton Royce, Billie Kay and ?

Apparently Sasha gained heat with Vince after the match, as the planned finish was for Sasha to go through the table and then get a natural selection for the finish, but as the table didn't break (because basically Sasha is not a 200lb+ guy that can easily break a table with his weight), the finish ended up being odd for the arena viewers.

Most of the people in the creative meeting tried to defend Sasha and explain to Vince the finish didn't worked out because people was pissed that Charlotte won clean (if Charlotte would have pulled the tights or the referee would have called an audible maybe the story would be different), but Vince was 100% convinced that his idea of Sasha losing clean in her hometown was the right move.

Meltzer also said that some people argued that if that was his plan all along, he should have moved the match to the middle, so people would not have to go home right after seeing Sasha losing her title.
...... What

Pikma

Banned
NXT toronto card so far:

Nakamura vs Joe
Tye vs Roode
Mickie James vs Asuka
Dusty Final
TM-61 vs Authors of Pain
DIY vs Revival 2 out 3 falls

Then this match which might be on the show or taped to air the week after:

Liv Morgan, Ember Moon, aliyah vs Peyton Royce, Billie Kay and ?
Where the fuck is Andrade vs Cedric? I was looking forward to that...

Yo Blue, are you going to watch your Packers this weekend?
Going to sit my fat ass at home and watch them. I could go but I don't feel like travelling. Also I didn't even know who was up this week. 79 bucks a pop for some tickets, nice prices but I like to be closer. I'll wait until I know I have some more money to spend. I just can't go and be broke lol.

Going to sit my fat ass at home and watch them. I could go but I don't feel like travelling. Also I didn't even know who was up this week. 79 bucks a pop for some tickets, nice prices but I like to be closer. I'll wait until I know I have some more money to spend. I just can't go and be broke lol.

true.

But they're so close to home for once. Maybe next time

Anth0ny

sounds like my group of friends wants to do:

nxt
jericho podcast live
survivor series
raw

during the survivor series weekend in toronto

that is a lot of simulated combat for 3 days

Brooke’s running around on TMZ and made the statement about me and wrestling and WrestleMania. For the record, she needs the big boot to the head. I haven’t talked to anybody about WrestleMania. I just need to put that to rest. I asked Brooke, “What are you doing?”

She goes, “Oh, well, I’m just starting it up.”

I said, “Thanks Brooke.” It was kind of funny. I said, “No harm. No foul.” It was all in good fun.
http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...wrestlemania-story-no-contact-with-wwe-return

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still don't understand how AJ Styles randomly became a great promo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
New Generation Project Podcast released six hours of content today. It's like the Lapsed Fan only better. (It's also two different subjects)

MC Safety

I don't want to spoil anything, but they do an amusing bit on NXT this week.

I'm not a fan of contract signings, but Samoa Joe made this one work.

Man, imagine Cena as President.

Dude's work ethic, undying work ethic to make people happy even though a vast amount of people oppose what and how he operates, always seems very careful about his words, charismatic as hell, had an incredible July 4th PSA, and just all-around good guy. Fuck I'd vote for him. He's certainly not the most qualified politician in the world (lol) but the dude is so open-minded and seems like he knows what's right in the long run. Something about Rock being Prez would be sort of contrived for reasons I don't know and not willing to dwell into.

These past 24 hours have been insane for me

I'm not sure I ever properly commented on Shane joining the SD team. I think it'll be really interested to compare this to when he was on the Invasion team (lol) back in 2001, where he was the second elimination after getting squashed. Given he went toe-to-toe with the Undertaker for half an hour, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's the sole survivor of SD or hell, wins the damn thing.

Nepotism runs as deep in him as the rest of the family.

Top Bottom