• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| flipvember qdl flipvember

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meltzer arguing that the bar fight on Raw was a completely straight rip off of the '74 movie the Wrestler, but I don't really see it other than its a bar fight with wrestlers and because Dusty goes behind the bar in that
wtzgU.gif

Fox318

I wouldn't be shocked if Xavier Woods leaves the WWE early. Seems like he could probably do more in traditional entertainment and he wouldn't take bumps.

The bar segment encapsulated just about everything I hate about WWE from a creative and production stand point over the last several years.

Member when they did talent out and about segments like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVS4UySbeE0

I mean still you got a camera guy following talent around but at least it's just one and at least that was in the era before smart phones and Go Pros.

The invisible camera man may be the worst thing ever.

Its dumb and worst of all its fucking lazy.

I mean, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't on that, cameramen aren't supposed to get involved

Best way to handle it is to go full telenovela on it like Lucha does

Fox318

I mean, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't on that, cameramen aren't supposed to get involved

Or treat it like a sport or reality show.

Treat it like its real. Maybe have performers acknowledge that a camera is a foot away from their face? Or have a few camera men so its cut like an actual sports broadcast or hell even a3 camera sitcom?

Instead they treat the camera like its invisible and always talk to people looking away from their eyes to an offscreen target and use a special vocab that the McMahons thinks won't embarrass them when she meets somebody in the business world.

Nobody gets over. That way, the pain is minimal when they leave the company.

Remember when Punk left and it fucked up their plans so much they had to put Bryan in the main event

You will never see a situation like that again. HHH will personally hold the door open for both people if it's anywhere near happening again

Sephzilla

Nobody gets over. That way, the pain is minimal when they leave the company.

And if Zack Ryder, Bryan, and (to a lesser extent) Punk are any indication - if you get over on your own you tend to get punished for it.

Bryan is the perfect example of this. He was amazingly over and WWE's response was to give him a 4 minute title reign before being shoved to the midcard. It took Punk leaving and Batista getting booed for a month in order to force Vince's hand.

Or treat it like a sport or reality show.

Treat it like its real. Maybe have performers acknowledge that a camera is a foot away from their face? Or have a few camera men so its cut like an actual sports broadcast or hell even a3 camera sitcom?

Instead they treat the camera like its invisible and always talk to people looking away from their eyes to an offscreen target and use a special vocab that the McMahons thinks won't embarrass them when she meets somebody in the business world.

Shit like the invisible cameraman and referring to talent on-air as "sports entertainers" is why WWE needs to shift back to pretending it's an actual sport instead of this bizarro sports/reality/soap opera hybrid it currently is right now. This is partially why the Goldberg/Lesnar thing felt so refreshing too.

Exodust

Banned
I really, REALLY hate the whole beat the champ to be the No. 1 contender matches. They really fucking bother me when I should accept that this is just stupid ass wrestling and they'll do dumbshit on the regular. But man, I catch feelings whenever I think about it.

Heroman

Banned
I really, REALLY hate the whole beat the champ to be the No. 1 contender matches. They really fucking bother me when I should accept that this is just stupid ass wrestling and they'll do dumbshit on the regular. But man, I catch feelings whenever I think about it.
I don't have a problem with it, the thing is that champs lose on TV way to much

Kaladin

I miss back in the day when you'd have 2 contenders battle to determine the #1 contender.

Sephzilla

Champions, both face and heel, shouldn't be losing matches on TV especially non title matches.

I have no problems with champs losing non-title matches

But if someone beats a champ, it should be for a belt, not a shot at the belt. You shouldn't have to beat the guy twice to get what he has.

Both world champs are being booked like looney toons right now, KO looks much worse of course. But AJ is still being constantly outsmarted & embarrassed by Dean.

Anth0ny

I thought the point of non title matches was to get the champ to face someone that wasn't deserving of a title shot

Not to have the challenger pin the champ fucking clean in the middle, and somehow get a #1 contender spot out of it. Like... what

Sephzilla

I kind of like Roman's over-the-shoulder way of carrying the belt. It's no Stone Cold style, but I guess it works. The only thing that bugs me is that it's Roman Reigns with a goddamn title.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Both world champs are being booked like looney toons right now, KO looks much worse of course. But AJ is still being constantly outsmarted & embarrassed by Dean.

WWE only believe in strong heel champs when its HHH or Reigns. Everyone else has to be a chump. Owens/Styles should both just be assholes who are really fucking good at this wrestling thing, but WWE hates that. They should be people who cheat to win, not people who have to cheat to win.

Kaladin

I'd like to see someone book a wrestling champion who only brings the belt to the ring when they have to defend it. Any other time, they wear something like a jacket or robe that proclaims them as champion. They can sell it as protecting an investment and that they didn't want anyone to steal the belt or for it to go missing in travel or anything like that.

Of course, someone would steal the belt right out of their bag while they're wrestling or something of that nature.

Pikma

Banned
I thought the point of non title matches was to get the champ to face someone that wasn't deserving of a title shot

Not to have the challenger pin the champ fucking clean in the middle, and somehow get a #1 contender spot out of it. Like... what
WHAT PART OF MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

Sephzilla

ACCEPTABLE WAYS OF CARRYING A TITLE BELT
1- Around the waist
2- Over the shoulder
3- Austin style*
4- Around the neck**

* - Only works for Austin
** - Only works for Umaga and Tensai

Austin's title entrance is the GOAT. I'm still salty none of the video games have captured the nuances accurately.

They'd pretty much need to mocap Austin himself doing the entrance. And I don't think they'll ever convince Austin to put on one of those goofy outfits.

Fox318

not enough champs come out with people holding their belts behind him.

If I was a heel like Miz I'd come out with a crew with a bunch of oversized trophies and awards.

Top Bottom