• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| flipvember qdl flipvember

Kaladin

Hogan getting paid:

BN-QC213_1003ga_M_20161003171904.jpg

Gawker Media Group has settled an invasion-of-privacy lawsuit with the former professional wrestler Hulk Hogan, drawing to a close a yearslong legal proceeding that bankrupted the company and led to the shutdown of the Gawker.com website.

Gawker, whose assets were sold out of bankruptcy to Univision Communications Inc. for $135 million in August, has agreed to pay the 1980s wrestling star, whose real name is Terry Bollea, $31 million plus a portion of the proceeds from the sale, according to a filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

Mr. Bollea has agreed to accept only a portion of the $140 million judgment he won against Gawker and its CEO and founder Nick Denton over the publication of a sex tape he was featured in. The verdict pushed the company to file for chapter 11 bankruptcy.

The company also agreed to settle two other cases with people who had sued for defamation, journalist Ashley Terrill and tech entrepreneur Shiva Ayyadurai, according to the court filing, which didn’t specify the settlement amounts.

The settlements are subject to approval by the bankruptcy court judge.

Shortly before Gawker filed for bankruptcy protection, it emerged that many of its legal struggles had been secretly backed by Silicon Valley billionaire and investor Peter Thiel, who acknowledged financing the cases brought by Mr. Bollea and others. Mr. Thiel had been outed as gay in 2007 by Gawker’s now-defunct Valleywag blog and said his intention was to stop Gawker from profiting off exposing details of people’s private lives.

In a blog post, Mr. Denton, who was also found liable by a Florida jury for $10 million in damages in the Bollea case and filed for personal bankruptcy, said while he believed the cases would have been overturned on appeal, the legal costs had grown too high.

“All-out legal war with Thiel would have cost too much, and hurt too many people, and there was no end in sight,” he wrote. “The Valley billionaire, famously relentless, had committed publicly to support Hulk Hogan beyond the appeal and ‘until his final victory.’ Gawker’s nemesis was not going away.”

Earlier this week, Mr. Thiel said at a panel discussion in Washington that he had decided to back the Bollea case against what he called “singularly sociopathic bully” because ”single-digit millionaires” have “no effective access to our legal system.”

“It is a great day for Terry Bollea and a great day for everyone’s right to privacy,” Mr. Thiel said in a statement Wednesday.

$31 million plus a portion of the sale of the company......and another ten million from Denton himself.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gawker-media-settles-with-hulk-hogan-in-privacy-suit-1478107236?mod=e2tw

Friend, this is a thing of beauty. Buy it and relive the greatest era the way it was meant to be seen: on fuzzy VHS.
The greatest era ever. Viewing it on vhs was always great, I miss when we'd go to blockbuster and rent the tapes over the weekend. We'd rent like 3-4 at a time. Good times.

blockbuster circa 1998 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> wwe network
Wwe network doesn't even have the exclusive coliseum video stuff. Like Montreal 97 just goes off on the Network, I remember on the old vhs they actually showed Bret wrecking the announcers hardware and stuff. I wish I had a chance to buy thesw from the library and bb before they stopped carrying it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ellsworth is having the time of his life, I imagine.

Actually, seems like there are a ton of non-contracted performers on both Raw and SmackDown right now.

Fuck all of yall

They're going to have to put my cold dead carcass deep in the ground before I get rid of my DVD player and its collection of horror films

I also recently found out that Hogan sued Vince Russo (during the infamous JJ shoot job) because Russo called him bald.

Dude can't take criticism. I shudder to think if Hogan would sue his fans for saying anything negative to him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ok I'm late to the party, but what are you ellsworth lovers thoughts on him with last nights SD? I feel like it's starting to go a little far.

As I said, its fun to have the dude around having the time of his life, I just think that per WWE rules they're going to kill it via overexposure. I'd be okay if he didn't come back until he gets his obligatory Rumble spot.

Pikma

Banned
205 Live would have been dominated by him and/or ZSJ if either of them signed. Not a doubt in my mind that would have been the basis for the expansion

But turns out not everyone can be bought <3
All is love, dreams and perfection until you find out through random tweets/interviews that they don't share the same opinions as you and they break your heart

So enjoy it while you can I guess

Pikma

Banned
Ok I'm late to the party, but what are you ellsworth lovers thoughts on him with last nights SD? I feel like it's starting to go a little far.
I'm still loving it as much as the first time he showed up, the way security were dragging him out cracked me up.

Also the reaction from JBL was gold too

Verendus

Banned
taker is returning to smackdown on 15th this month, sigh
That's a bit early for Joan Cena vs. Undertaker.

Time to remove Baron Corbin from Team Smackdown and insert Undertaker. That way Roman can pin him at the PPV since it's unlikely we'll ever get a match between the two.

As I said, its fun to have the dude around having the time of his life, I just think that per WWE rules they're going to kill it via overexposure. I'd be okay if he didn't come back until he gets his obligatory Rumble spot.

Even though I'm not in love with it I think I'm ok with it sticking around until TLC just because it's been part of the build up. But after that it really needs to go away until Rumble

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm still not feeling any Ellsworth fatigue. Each week it's something new, and it's a great way to progress a story line in a way we haven't seen before instead of the normal "I HATE YOU" "YEAH WELL I HATE YOU LET'S FIGHT" story over and over and over.

The visual of this tiny nerd getting chased around through the match by security was hilarious, and his delirious post orgasmic smile as he was being dragged away was just fantastic.

Angry Grimace

Even though I'm not in love with it I think I'm ok with it sticking around until TLC just because it's been part of the build up. But after that it really needs to go away until Rumble

I feel like the Ambrose/Styles feud is getting a little stale, too. I don't know, I think they've put on good matches, but I've seen them wrestle 4 times already. At this point I have to assume the plan is to just keep AJ with the title until WrestleMania since none of the other heels on the roster seem good enough to really run with it.

Cena or Orton are gonna take it off of him, but my assumption had been that we were gonna get the Orton/Styles feud going and done before WM actually happened in favor of Cena winning the Rumble to get the title off of AJ. Then again, Styles/Cena main eventing WrestleMania might be a Roman-level disaster in terms of audience reaction (even though I think wouldn't be warranted at all).

Verendus

Banned
I feel like the Ambrose/Styles feud is getting a little stale, too. I don't know, I think they've put on good matches, but I've seen them wrestle 4 times already. At this point I have to assume the plan is to just keep AJ with the title until WrestleMania since none of the other heels on the roster seem good enough to really run with it.

Cena or Orton are gonna take it off of him, but my assumption had been that we were gonna get the Orton/Styles feud going and done before WM actually happened in favor of Cena winning the Rumble to get the title off of AJ. Then again, Styles/Cena main eventing WrestleMania might be a Roman-level disaster in terms of audience reaction (even though I think wouldn't be warranted at all).
Friend please.

The only person who's main eventing Wrasslin'Mania 33 is Roman Reigns.

gun_haver

I feel like jumping in with some views and opinions.

- AJ Styles doesn't work as a face because he comes off as the protagonist of some low budget christian movie. Maybe it's just his voice but I don't get that impression from most southerners or anything, I think it's just that AJ Styles reeks of god and dumb as a brick sentimentality when he is trying to be likable. The god thing might be a reach for some people but I think it's part of the reason he comes off as a complete goober, and that word keeps coming up for a reason because that's very specifically what he is. Even as a heel, he can't entirely shake it, but it's much better that way for him.

- If it's true Hogan thought about suing Russo for calling him bald, I don't know why. He's a big bald blonde lug, that's his look. Being a big bald blonde lug has made him millions. Maybe he hasn't fully reconciled himself to that reality yet. It's only been 30 years.

- My interest in watching any wrestling is at its lowest pretty much since I started again in 2014. I've checked back in this week and the only match I even skipped through at hell in the cell was sasha and charlotte, didn't even sit and watch the whole thing. I realise from the previous two years that this is when WWE tends to be extremely boring and bad. The brand split, talking smack and goldberg's presence makes it feel like less of a complete dead zone than for example, last year, but it's still not exactly compelling stuff overall. Jericho also continues to be funny.

I guess that's all I've got to say!

Except this - wrestling's a funny thing. You don't need to watch it at all to keep up with it, and the backstage information we get tends to stay interesting for some reason. It doesn't even matter if it is a story relating to someone who hasn't wrestled in 20 years. It's truly a never-ending saga with these guys. Once you're established in the lexicon, you kind of just hang around, forever. I can see why it's so hard for people to truly leave it behind once you come back because it does not end. It's more than a reality tv show, it's just the reality of these people and their lives and when I'm not feeling so good, or when I'm bored and looking for 20 minutes of mental occupation between things, sure, let's check out Stone Cold's opinion of a recent PPV I didn't watch. What's Bret Hart up to? What are the plans for Nakamura? Oh, Raw is thinking of changing up some of their branding? And so on.

Angry Grimace

I could buy Roman v. Lesnar II, I just don't see how it main events without the title.

Top Bottom