• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| flipvember qdl flipvember

Meanwhile right now that Stardom roster has like 6 people and 0 champs without both Shirai and Hojo, and that's after already losing Act and the psycho who ended her career on something still nobody is sure was a rib or genuine hatred shoot

That company is joshi's last chance for a good decade at least at any real attention. Starting from scratch is going to prolong that

Sendai Girls draws about the same size crowd and runs with about the same level of regularity as Stardom.

Ice Ribbon still exists too!

Nekofrog

Banned
As my wife and I near the original brand split, what should we actually pay attention to on each show so we don't have to watch all of both? I literally remember nothing from the first split

Asuka was no one before WWE

the percentage of people in the WWE Universe™ who knows her now is bigger than the numbers of fans she ever had in Japan. Japan marks need to take a step back

I'm going to disagree. Asuka was a hit in Japan. When she came to NXT, the crowd was hot for her. Safe to say those fans watched joshi wrestling.

As my wife and I near the original brand split, what should we actually pay attention to on each show so we don't have to watch all of both? I literally remember nothing from the first split
Smackdown. I'd watch them both up until Hunter is handed the whc. After that you can stick a fork in it, the raw meat is finally done.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm going to disagree. Asuka was a hit in Japan. When she came to NXT, the crowd was hot for her. Safe to say those fans watched joshi wrestling.

I don't think that's true at all. I think its more that the wrestling community is pretty insular so word of mouth saying "this is the best wrestler that never came to the US" means a lot more than it did years ago.

I'm just saying, crowds popped HUGE for Shinsuke Nakamura's first match in NXT and it wasn't because all 10,000 people in the crowd had NJPW World subs.

Pikma

Banned
I don't think that's true at all. I think its more that the wrestling community is pretty insular so word of mouth saying "this is the best wrestler that never came to the US" means a lot more than it did years ago.

I'm just saying, crowds popped HUGE for Shinsuke Nakamura's first match in NXT and it wasn't because all 10,000 people in the crowd had NJPW World subs.
I don't believe you

cordy

Banned
Yeah if you're watching the original brand split, once HHH is handed the WHC let that be the end of watching them in a row. I'd skip to the Benoit/Orton match, Orton being turned on by Evolution and then immediately skip to the Batista/HHH feud. That was a money feud.

imBask

Banned

yeaaaaaah but honestly, I'm still not sure how the crowd will react to his callup... We've seen indie or international "big stars" get a lukewarm reactions before. I know Nakamura is technically huge, but I won't be surprised if more than half the people don't pop at all

(AJ is the exception, because of his long run in TNA when TNA was half decent)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
yeaaaaaah but honestly, I'm still not sure how the crowd will react to his callup... We've seen indie or international "big stars" get a lukewarm reactions before. I know Nakamura is technically huge, but I won't be surprised if more than half the people don't pop at all

(AJ is the exception, because of his long run in TNA when TNA was half decent)
Nah, he's gonna be huge. But I expect them to protect that investment and introduce him at a smarky show, e.g. Raw after Mania or at the Royal Rumble.

One reason I think they keep funding NXT despite NXT not really being a profitable entity is because its existence means you don't have to actually build up new talent on the main roster. They just show up one day and are already over and selling shirts (e.g. Enzo & Cass, Owens, Zayn, Bayley).

I really don't know how much of the audience that attends shows has no awareness of NXT at all at this point given that its existence is tied to the same business model that the main roster makes a lot of its money from.

You mean a huge team led by a manager, or just a team of people? Because there have been plenty of the latter recently.

Stable.gif, aka SelfConsciousAboutHisPhysiqueLarryZybsko.gif

4332677be92d1dce6afac93fb9511e8930d8c9b1_hq.gif

Angry Grimace

Charlotte ppv win streak is so dumb.

It isn't a thing they actually book for - Sasha was going over as recently as the day before HIAC until Vince decided to put Bayley in the main women's feud on Raw. And then had her promptly do the job clean for Nia Jax because that will help her get over as a credible threat to the women's champion.

Anth0ny

I really hope we get Cena vs Taker at Mania. Would be a fantastic retirement match for him.

also makes way more sense than orton/taker, which has already been done

I'm hoping they do Orton/Styles and Cena/Taker, but I expect Orton/Taker and Cena/Styles cause they are terrible at giving fresh mania matches

Really surprised they haven't added any stakes to the Survivor Series matches yet.

Seems like the best option would be your brand gets an NXT call-up for each match you win. Win the tag-team match, call up an NXT tag team; win the women's elimination match, get a woman from NXT...

Anth0ny

Really surprised they haven't added any stakes to the Survivor Series matches yet.

Seems like the best option would be your brand gets an NXT call-up for each match you win. Win the tag-team match, call up an NXT tag team; win the women's elimination match, get a woman from NXT...

that would be amazing

so no, not happening.

Angry Grimace

that would be amazing

so no, not happening.

They're much more judicious about bringing up NXT talent these days. The last call-up was what, the draft? The only call-up that even sounds reasonably likely anytime soon is Samoa Joe for SmackDown.

Top Bottom