• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well initially it was because of the real life captured actors for the game. So the tech just wasn't there.

Now..I don't know. Tradition?
I'm looking at Injustice: Gods Among Us gameplay and the animations look fantastic, hopefully the next MK animates as well.

If anyone returns tonight, I'm hoping it's this man
i4hZ1wq5DeIsp.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Country music is interesting because it's inherently American, from a culture that blends so much from other countries and cultures, it created something, long ago. It's interesting, but I think it's dogshit. All of it.

Country music is interesting because it's inherently American, from a culture that blends so much from other countries and cultures, it created something, long ago. It's interesting, but I think it's dogshit. All of it.

For all of the cultural appropriation that America is guilty of now they have contributed a ton to music, but I would say Jazz and Blues were more significant than Country music.

Oddly enough the only other art form I'd credit to being inherently American is pro wrestling.
The British, Japanese, and Mexican pro wrestling traditions all came from the U.S.

jred2k

The radio country thats just pop with some twang is completely terrible. The "real" country just sounds like people sitting around waiting to die, to me.

jmdajr

For all of the cultural appropriation that America is guilty of now they have contributed a ton to music, but I would say Jazz and Blues were more significant than Country music.

Oddly enough the only other art form I'd credit to being inherently American is pro wrestling.
The British, Japanese, and Mexican pro wrestling traditions all came from the U.S.

So rock n roll doesn't come from America?

edit: I read that wrong..

um.. ELVIS!!!!!

I don't much like plain country, but I do like a lot of genres that were spawned from it, Americana folk, bluegrass, southern rock, etc. But yeah, plain country & western is really cringe worthy, or at least the side of it pushed by the media is.

I don't know that it is inherently American, it was popularised there for sure, but pro wrestling took many cues from other arts, one of them being British catch-as-catch-can wrestling and it's worth noting that the sport rose to prominence at the same time on both sides of the Atlantic, even if it did take divergent paths throughout the 20th century.

Kaladin

Mainstream country music for the most part is shit. Anything labeled pop country (like Florida Georgia Line) is shit. There are a few exceptions of traditionalists in mainstream, but they are few(Alan Jackson, Jamey Johnson, Zac Brown for starters). You have to look out of mainstream to find traditional country acts that are making real music like classic outlaw country or even doing something new like mixing country and punk or country and other traditional forms of music that have gone out of the mainstream. Mainstream country has become obsessed with pop crossover so much that it's really a lot of pop acts with southern accents and a ton of autotune. You'll also find a lot of hip hop influence in country and if it comes off as forced, that's because it usually is something the record companies want more than the artists doing it.

Sorry for the rant, I enjoy country music but not what it has turned into in the mainstream. If you want to find real southern music in the mainstream, look up americana music (a lot of traditional country acts get shelved here), Texas country music (Texas country radio is 100% different from country radio anywhere else, they even have their own charts) or Bluegrass music (mainstream bluegrass is still real bluegrass, but it's just as hard to get into as music from another country).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was kidding about calling it ALL dogshit, but I saw this one called "Honky Tonk Badonk A Donk" and I retched.

Outlaw country is at least interesting. It's like punk rock from a different place.

Hasney

Just watching the Thunder with the debuts of Crowbar and 3 Count. Feel that's a good night.

EDIT: Same Thunder Goldberg decides to hit a limo window instead of using the provided baseball bat, the idiot. Ruining Russos glorious vision.

strobogo

Banned
Just watching the Thunder with the debuts of Crowbar and 3 Count. Feel that's a good night.

EDIT: Same Thunder Goldberg decides to hit a limo window instead of using the provided baseball bat, the idiot. Ruining Russos glorious vision.

If you would just wait I'll be covering all that shit pretty soon and you wouldn't have to watch it.

How can I make gifs from YouTube? I've watched the Survivor Series from 1990 and want to screen cap/ gif some things.

Gifcam for everything. Maybe make the player a little smaller and then Gifcam to the size. I've done all my WCW 1998-1999, Rumbles, Summerslams, and random matches with Gifcam.

Hasney

If you would just wait I'll be covering all that shit pretty soon and you wouldn't have to watch it.

Can't believe Hasney is trying to scoop strobogo. Whatever happened to Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect in WrassleGAF.

I just remember really enjoying Russo's first run at WCW and I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but I'm loving most of it.

Sure, there's some shit in a 3 hour show just like there is on Raw now, but love the nWo reboot.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Tekken is a fun game, just don't take it too serious.

Tekken has a bear.
spxcxd5.png

A BEAR!

It's Daniel Bryan's favourite fighting game.

Nobody outside of the US cares about Country, that should tell you everything.

You would be surprised actually. There is a niche, but still noticeable, following of country music in Britain. This includes festivals and home grown bands across the isles, more so England than the others.
For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSu_nnhltys

For a while in the late 2000s, it caught on in some African nations like Swaziland as a fad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CBHSJrokHw

There really isn't any genre of music that won't see pop up somewhere else in the world eventually. Its just a shame some countries, some cultures, are more against trying music from outside their lands save for the few "Gangnam Style" type surprises. Lots of good music across the world, but o much is ignored.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Most likely fathering an illegitimate bastard? John Cena.

Aiii

So not worth it
Did CM Punks straight edge style involve condoms?

Thing about dating only female wrestlers is that they're likely on the pill due to not wanting to ruin their livelyhood by getting pregnant, so no need to worry about knocking them up, I suppose.

STD's though...

KenOD

Thing about dating only female wrestlers is that they're likely on the pill due to not wanting to ruin their livelyhood by getting pregnant, so no need to worry about knocking them up, I suppose.

STD's though...

The real reason CM Punk's girls all leave the WWE. He's such a dirty slut, and he refuses to take medicine.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
We recently posted the synopsis for WWE's "Shawn Michaels: Mr. WrestleMania" DVD and Blu-ray set that comes out in February 2014. The synopsis stated that all 17 of Shawn's WrestleMania matches would be included.

WWE representatives recently contacted WrestlingDVDNews.com and informed them that the WrestleMania 20 triple threat with Michaels vs. Triple H vs. Chris Benoit will not be included in the set. All of Shawn's 16 other WrestleMania matches will be featured along with new interview footage with Shawn.

I really hate how WWE has decided that the proper response to what happened to Chris Benoit is to act like he never existed, and nothing happened.

I don't know that it is inherently American, it was popularised there for sure, but pro wrestling took many cues from other arts, one of them being British catch-as-catch-can wrestling and it's worth noting that the sport rose to prominence at the same time on both sides of the Atlantic, even if it did take divergent paths throughout the 20th century.

Interesting. For some reason I thought that pro wrestling influenced Britian first, but it looks like they influenced each other in a lot of ways through late 19th/early 20th century?

Do you (or anyone) have a good all encompassing history book on pro wrestling?

Does CM Punks straight edge style involve condoms?

"True" Straight Edge says no promiscuous sex, which seems to jive with Punk as he seems like a serial monogamist.

Kaladin

I really hate how WWE has decided that the proper response to what happened to Chris Benoit is to act like he never existed, and nothing happened.

How long is long enough for a company to distance themselves from a murderer before they start recognizing his accomplishments prior to his death? Given the nature of WWE as a family entertainment company, it's probably best that they do ignore the subject and try their best to ignore the fact that Benoit ever existed. How do you breach the subject of a guy who committed the murder-suicide of himself and his family with an all ages fanbase? It's probably best to act like he never existed, and that way you never have to acknowledge that part of his history with a fanbase who likes to dig into the personalities of performers and know and ask about everything.

Aiii

So not worth it
Punk gets alot of shit for dating a ton of coworkers, but yeah if you look at the number of women he dated over the past decade he doesn't even average a girl a year. Weird how perception works.

jmdajr

I would like an in depth Benoit doc. Probably won't come from WWE though.

edit: I would also like an XFL doc.

What are they more ashamed of?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Punk gets alot of shit for dating a ton of coworkers, but yeah if you look at the number of women he dated over the past decade he doesn't even average a girl a year. Weird how perception works.

and how many men a year does AJ average? If you're doing the maths.

KenOD

No no, the actual numbers don't matter. All wrestlers that have been with more than one person of the opposite or same sex, are [insert derogatory term here] and fat.

Honestly I wouldn't even know if he or any other wrestler dated another wrestler if it wasn't for this thread and some of the news websites. Like the recent reveal that Josh Mathews got out of Big Show's tour bus, clearly indicating they are now dating, or that R-Truth was at the airport with Alex Riley, indicating that they are jobbing.

The amount of time that goes into focusing on it, or insulting (mostly just women) over it is awful. We have better things to focus on, like how terrible WCW was and insulting ICP or John Cena or whomever is responsible for the loss of a push (as the magic eight ball tells us).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How long is long enough for a company to distance themselves from a murderer before they start recognizing his accomplishments prior to his death? Given the nature of WWE as a family entertainment company, it's probably best that they do ignore the subject and try their best to ignore the fact that Benoit ever existed. How do you breach the subject of a guy who committed the murder-suicide of himself and his family with an all ages fanbase? It's probably best to act like he never existed, and that way you never have to acknowledge that part of his history with a fanbase who likes to dig into the personalities of performers and know and ask about everything.

Jimmy Snuka almost certainly murdered his girlfriend.
Khali killed a man while training in APW.
Scott Hall got into a barroom brawl with a man and shot him in the head, killing him. (Note: The man allegedly was reaching for his gun, and hall wrestled it away from him and shot him.)

Chris Benoit's brain was turned to mush and resembled that of an 85 year old with advanced alzheimers post-mortum. As much as WWE likes to push the whole "don't try this at home." angle, they run away from the fact that the benoit double murder suicide is almost certainly a direct result of dementia caused by decades of flying headbutts, chair shots, and back of the head/neck impacts from suplexes.

It's pretty incredible how fast Punk got AJ. He went from Lita to AJ in like 2 months. I guess he must have cheated on Lita with AJ? CM Punks resume is pretty impressive

Top Bottom