• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

Ithil

The reason why NXT is doing this is because their audience is 90% Internet smarks and 10% Full Sail students. If Bo was making WWE hundreds of millions of dollars a year in merchandising, he wouldn't be turning heel either.

Not quite. NXT has zero input from Vince, and has Creative done by Dusty Rhodes and a couple of rookie writers. Triple H serves in the Vince "overview" role instead, and he appears to do a lot less micromanagement and a lot more trusting of Dusty to know what he's doing.
If Vince were running NXT, the crowd could be 100% smarks and he'd still do what he personally wanted to see instead of what the audience wanted.

strobogo

Banned
Really surprised at how much time and detail was put into the steroid stuff. That's always been one of those things that was really only referenced in a way to put Vince over as having defeated the government.

BaHiU4_IIAAGJVz.jpg

Ithil

Plenty of cruisers and tiny dudes have been able to run the ropes just fine.

AJ would do well to do what Mysterio does, and bounce from the second rope. She's too short and light to get much momentum from the top rope. The rest? I don't know. Run faster?

strobogo

Banned
It's not like the women are doing moves that need Irish whips. How many back drops are there in a Diva match? If the girls can't run the ropes, just don't have spots where they need to run the ropes. Seems like the easiest solution.

You guys ever get those posts on your FB feed where it's a rather simple math question that only requires invoking an extremely limited use of PEMDAS to get the right answer, only to click the link and see that hundreds or thousands of people are totally whiffing?

Fucking hell, man.

Daaaaaaaaaaamn, that NXT main event. I think Sami is my favorite seller in the WWE at the moment. I was at the edge of my seat wanting Sami to get up when Neville is trying to set up his SSP.
the outcome tho...

A bunch of the best people on NXT are injured. Emma, Enzo Amore, Scott Dawson. I like that there's two storylines for women at the moment, while Raw is unable to push more than one at a time. Looking forward to the Bayley match next week.

Daaaaaaaaaaamn, that NXT main event. I think Sami is my favorite seller in the WWE at the moment. I was at the edge of my seat wanting Sami to get up when Neville is trying to set up his SSP.
the outcome tho...

A bunch of the best people on NXT are injured. Emma, Enzo Amore, Scott Dawson. I like that there's two storylines for women at the moment, while Raw is unable to push more than one at a time. Looking forward to the Bayley match next week.
Not Emma's shoulder I hope?

huh actually I think it's kayfabe. Thought I read her name along with the others on the injured list.

At least temporary injury means two more weeks without Corey Graves

Oh and can anyone recommend this Jon Moxley DVD?
jon-moxley-dvd-stories-from-the-streets-the-jon-moxley-story-126122208-500x500.png

Ah, Leva <3

ibgPwfysjaoa12.jpg

Serpentine said:
Oh and can anyone recommend this Jon Moxley DVD?

I've seen the interview, it's pretty good - well worth a watch if you're a fan.

As for the matches - there's a mix of CZW bloodfests and some genuinely great matches as far as I can tell. The match against Davey Richards in HWA is great, as is his match with Sami Callihan. Also, I'd expect the Ricochet & Jacobs matches to be pretty good. The match against Brain Damage is the infamous Tournament of Death match, I think, where this happened;

http://i.minus.com/iMRVS5vWry7bw.gif - NSFW

I've seen the interview, it's pretty good - well worth a watch if you're a fan.

As for the matches - there's a mix of CZW bloodfests and some genuinely great matches as far as I can tell. The match against Davey Richards in HWA is great, as is his match with Sami Callihan. Also, I'd expect the Ricochet & Jacobs matches to be pretty good. The match against Brain Damage is the infamous Tournament of Death match, I think, where this happened;

http://i.minus.com/iMRVS5vWry7bw.gif - NSFW

Yeah, I saw a good half of the interview, and I liked it. Adding to my list.

Xater

Stray observations from NXT:

Cesaro is always awesome.

CJ Parker's gimmick is super annoying.

They have actual story lines for the female wrestlers?

Rapstah

NXT was amazing.
* Good matches all-around.
* Professional build for the Regal/Cesaro feud.
* Re-caps of NXT and no re-caps of Raw.
* Bo Dallas on commentary for the main event. They just cut to him smiling at the desk and I burst out laughing. He's not very good on commentary but it works out okay.
* Bo Dallas calls Sami Zayn and Adrian Neville "kids" despite being like 21 years old himself.
* Amazing asshole Bo Dallas promo against CJ Parker who still sucks.
* Plenty of time given to the main event which has several incredible spots. Crowd initially is just behind Zayn but eventually gets into the psychology of cheering for both which is great. NXT chants, "this is awesome" chants, well deserved. Surprise winner!!!

Yaaaaaaaay, got my laptop back :)

No longer an internet peasant. Feels good. Got a ton of wrasslin' to catch up on - two New Japan tag league shows, the Dragon Gate iPPV and the W-1 show from Korakuen Hall with AJ Styles.

Here, have a present;

Miracle Violence Connection (Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy & 'Doctor Death' Steve Williams) vs Stan Hansen & Dan Spivey - (AJPW 12/07/90)

This is the finals of the 1990 Real World Tag League, with the vacant AJPW Unified World Tag Titles on the line - Hansen was a multiple time tag champ with the likes of Bruiser Brody, Ted DiBiase & Austin Idol before the belts were unified, plus twice with Terry Gordy and three times with Genichiro Tenryu after the unification, but young Dan Spivey (who you may remember as Waylon Mercy in WWF) had yet to claim any gold in AJPW. However, the pairing had a great showing in the tag league that year, finishing in 2nd place just 1 point behind The Miracle Violence Connection, who went into the tournament as big favourites. Gordy & Williams had held the belts just once before the tournament, dethroning Hansen & Tenryu only to lose the belts to Jumbo & The Great Kabuki a few months later. Kabuki was injured just 8 days later, so the Miracle Violence Connection never got their rematch. The belts were declared vacant and Gordy & Doc had to wait five months for the Real Tag League to roll around before they could go after the titles again - the only thing standing in their way, 'The Unsinkable Battleship' Stan Hansen and young Dan Spivey.

NXT was amazing.
* Good matches all-around.
* Professional build for the Regal/Cesaro feud.
* Re-caps of NXT and no re-caps of Raw.
* Bo Dallas on commentary for the main event. They just cut to him smiling at the desk and I burst out laughing. He's not very good on commentary but it works out okay.
* Bo Dallas calls Sami Zayn and Adrian Neville "kids" despite being like 21 years old himself.
* Amazing asshole Bo Dallas promo against CJ Parker who still sucks.
* Plenty of time given to the main event which has several incredible spots. Crowd initially is just behind Zayn but eventually gets into the psychology of cheering for both which is great. NXT chants, "this is awesome" chants, well deserved. Surprise winner!!!

How can one watch NXT without subscribing to horrible Hulu Plus?

I liked the contrast between AJ bitching about total divas and doing nothing about it beyond teaming up with the worst female wrestlers in the world for months and Paige calling Natty out on being nothing but a total diva now then immediately giving her a title shot to prove herself. The writing on NXT's just so much better than the writing on RAW that it's ridiculous.

So I'm watching NXT and I realize that this promo between two British girls is literally the best two-female promo I've seen on WWE TV since maybe LayCool was still around. Seriously. Are they actually talented or is the main roster of women really that bad right now?

Xater

I liked the contrast between AJ bitching about total divas and doing nothing about it beyond teaming up with the worst female wrestlers in the world for months and Paige calling Natty out on being nothing but a total diva now then immediately giving her a title shot to prove herself. The writing on NXT's just so much better than the writing on RAW that it's ridiculous.

Don't forget that AJ also totally got jobbed out during Survivor Series. Just standing there on the side and being out in like a minute at the end.

Look everyone that's who the stong female champion is! The one that loses easily to the reality show clowns.

Jamie OD

So I'm watching NXT and I realize that this promo between two British girls is literally the best two-female promo I've seen on WWE TV since maybe LayCool was still around. Seriously. Are they actually talented or is the main roster of women really that bad right now?

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B.

Ithil

TWO British girls? There's only Paige from Britain in NXT. I haven't watched NXT yet this week.

That's because in NXT it's about putting over Paige, the Women's champion, but on RAW it's about going WATCH TOTAL DIVAS! NOW ON E!
And for some inexplicable reason, they think "having the reality show cast win matches" equals "more ratings for the reality show", even thought the reality show is outside of RAW's kayfabe (but in its own kayfabe) and the matches aren't real.

Aiii

So not worth it
TWO British girls? There's only Paige from Britain in NXT. I haven't watched NXT yet this week.
He's confusing Emma with a Brit, she's Australian.

That's because in NXT it's about putting over Paige, the Women's champion, but on RAW it's about going WATCH TOTAL DIVAS! NOW ON E!
And for some inexplicable reason, they think "having the reality show cast win matches" equals "more ratings for the reality show", even thought the reality show is outside of RAW's kayfabe (but in its own kayfabe) and the matches aren't real.

And the crowd goes...
diaz12kirc.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yaaaaaaaay, got my laptop back :)

No longer an internet peasant. Feels good. Got a ton of wrasslin' to catch up on - two New Japan tag league shows, the Dragon Gate iPPV and the W-1 show from Korakuen Hall with AJ Styles.

Here, have a present;

Miracle Violence Connection (Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy & 'Doctor Death' Steve Williams) vs Stan Hansen & Dan Spivey - (AJPW 12/07/90)

This is the finals of the 1990 Real World Tag League, with the vacant AJPW Unified World Tag Titles on the line - Hansen was a multiple time tag champ with the likes of Bruiser Brody, Ted DiBiase & Austin Idol before the belts were unified, plus twice with Terry Gordy and three times with Genichiro Tenryu after the unification, but young Dan Spivey (who you may remember as Waylon Mercy in WWF) had yet to claim any gold in AJPW. However, the pairing had a great showing in the tag league that year, finishing in 2nd place just 1 point behind The Miracle Violence Connection, who went into the tournament as big favourites. Gordy & Williams had held the belts just once before the tournament, dethroning Hansen & Tenryu only to lose the belts to Jumbo & The Great Kabuki a few months later. Kabuki was injured just 8 days later, so the Miracle Violence Connection never got their rematch. The belts were declared vacant and Gordy & Doc had to wait five months for the Real Tag League to roll around before they could go after the titles again - the only thing standing in their way, 'The Unsinkable Battleship' Stan Hansen and young Dan Spivey.

WB to the land of real shit. This match was great, I absolutely LOVE watching Gordy and Williams. I just love em. Spivey on the other hand...this MIGHT be his best work, but that's not saying much when it comes to Spivey.

Ithil

Three of em! Though one is a short-term one for one match. The most ridiculous part is they have two extended storylines going on for the women in NXT, and yet there are a grand total of six women who wrestle in NXT (the rest are still in training or other roles). Every one of them is involved in one of said two storylines.

The main roster has, what, 15 women? Not one of them is in an actual program, not even the champion.

Also, Adrian Neville has managed to tone down his Geordie accent and speaks a lot more confidently now, though he's definitely not a natural like Sami Zayn is. That's the part that's holding him back so good to see him improving.

Spivey on the other hand...this MIGHT be his best work, but that's not saying much when it comes to Spivey.

Yeah, those couple of All Japan tag title reigns Hansen carried him to really was the highlight of his career - he was a pretty competent performing his move-set, which wasn't half bad, but lacked in pretty much everything else. Can't quite decide whether Dan Spivey or Johnny Ace were Hansen's weakest tag pairing, though. Probably Ace.

Ithil

I find it strange how there is more or less no tag team division on NXT. Given it's Triple H and not Vince who has the final say on the show, you'd think he'd be building up a strong division to reflect his love of tag team wrestling.

Top Bottom