• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Konami has killed Metal Gear, can we please see a Yu-Gi-Oh renaissance?

Takao

Banned
Didnt they already move Yugioh to like smartphone / f2p kinda stuff?

The last year has been interesting for Yu-Gi-Oh! games:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels (PS3/360) - Digital-only Yu-Gi-Oh! game that spans the first four Yu-Gi-Oh! series. More duel simulator than fully featured game. Despite being a paid game, the title encourages a bunch of IAP.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Arena (PC) - Browser based PC F2P game. Shut down earlier this year. More duel simulator than fully featured game.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Generation (iOS/Android) - F2P mobile game that draws a lot from Millennium Duels. More duel simulator than fully featured game.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force Special (PSP) - Japan-only, PSN-only entry in the Tag Force series. Contains characters from all five Yu-Gi-Oh! shows and the most cards in a YGO video game adaptation to date. While some of the gamey aspects in prior entries were removed (namely the exploration), it's probably the most "game" out of the recent releases.

bumpkin

I know not everyone likes Yu-Gi-Oh, but it was a major part of my childhood and I'd love to see videogames of it still since it allows me to keep up with the cards in a judgement-free zone at my own pace without spending a ton of money. Is that something I should be mocked for?

Yes, it's not that relevant anymore (which isn't a bad thing, sometimes it's good when a series sort of becomes niche) to the general populace, but surely all of you have series you enjoyed that died out, perhaps ones that weren't exactly the best but were close to your heart, and you want to play them again? That's how Yu-Gi-Oh is for me.

I mean, Mega Man fans, you can understand me, right? Mega Man was like Yu-Gi-Oh...a ton of games coming out of various qualities, but still nostalgic fun, and then basically was killed off. I want Mega Man back, and I want Yu-Gi-Oh back.
I didn't get into it until I was working as an assistant store manager for a KB Toys in my early 20's. I saw how popular it was with pretty much all ages so I was curious. I bought myself a starter deck, found some "How to be a Duelist" DVD, and I was pretty much hooked after that. I kept playing for maybe a year or so after I stopped working there, but then I moved and grew apart from most of the friends I dueled against.

One of my friends discovered the TCG last year and got me to dust off my old deck. I've bought a few packs of the newer series of cards here and there, but nothing too crazy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
10,000 attack and 1000 defense? Looking at the text as well makes me glad I have up when I did, I liked the simplicity of the early years

It's not that much different from the classic "anime boss monsters" like the God Cards and Legendary Dragons from the original series, it's not even a real card and, if it was made real, it'd probably be neutered like the God Cards were when it became real. Plus it's got an insane summoning condition of 5 12-Star monsters on your field, which even with the new cards I don't think there's any good strategy to pull that off with without it being a waste of time, so it's not like it's an easy-win for you.

The effects are a bit longer now because Konami uses "problem solving" text in the card where the descriptions are now a bit more wordy to make them clearer on various rules and loopholes.

Watch Da Birdie

I didn't get into it until I was working as an assistant store manager for a KB Toys in my early 20's. I saw how popular it was with pretty much all ages so I was curious. I bought myself a starter deck, found some "How to be a Duelist" DVD, and I was pretty much hooked after that. I kept playing for maybe a year or so after I stopped working there, but then I moved and grew apart from most of the friends I dueled against.

One of my friends discovered the TCG last year and got me to dust off my old deck. I've bought a few packs of the newer series of cards here and there, but nothing too crazy.

Yeah, my brother and his friends at college have gotten back into it as well, took all of our old cards (from the GX days, fucking loved that era where it was a nice mix of simplicity and more complex cards) with him and plays with them everyday.

I wish I found people like that in college. I hid all my nerdy hobbies. >.>

Watch Da Birdie

Also they're not really the best cards, but I find the new Entermate/Performapal cards to be absolutely adorable:

PDK7YCB.jpg

If I collected Yu-Gi-Oh cards, I'd love to collect them. Back in the day my favorite cards to collect in real-life were Judai's Elemental Heroes and the Neo-Spacians because they had neat designs.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels (PS3/360) - Digital-only Yu-Gi-Oh! game that spans the first four Yu-Gi-Oh! series. More duel simulator than fully featured game. Despite being a paid game, the title encourages a bunch of IAP.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Arena (PC) - Browser based PC F2P game. Shut down earlier this year. More duel simulator than fully featured game.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Generation (iOS/Android) - F2P mobile game that draws a lot from Millennium Duels. More duel simulator than fully featured game.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force Special (PSP) - Japan-only, PSN-only entry in the Tag Force series. Contains characters from all five Yu-Gi-Oh! shows and the most cards in a YGO video game adaptation to date. While some of the gamey aspects in prior entries were removed (namely the exploration), it's probably the most "game" out of the recent releases.

Oh yeah forgot about the PSP one.

I still remember the awesome GBA ones. Plus the fact I had a deck that could literally crash the game 100% which was also awesome.

killed Metal Gear? You're going to see more Metal Gear games than ever before now that they don't have Kojima trying to actually make good Metal Gear games anymore.

Laws00

Used to be into Yugioh not anymore

I would like a Yugioh
fighting games
would be interesting to me

Luke_Wal

If you're looking for a dueling simulator, both duelingnetwork.com and YGOPro/DevPro (2 programs you can download based on the same source code. Most people think DevPro is better, but YGOPro is the only one on Mac) are both great. Free Peer to Peer dueling, updated with cards pretty much as soon as they're announced. You have to do everything manually on DN, but on Pro everything is done for you automatically. Pro is honestly quite amazing, but my Mac client stopped updating and I haven't figured out how to fix it. There's also an Android version that gets updated pretty regularly, and an iOS version that hasn't been updated since it came out in December, but the guy swears he submits the updates to Apple.

Those passwords were fun.

I tried out the PS3 digital release with a mule save and, as someone who played a lot up until the PSV days, I was clueless. I have all the Tag Force games but still haven't played them. I would love to see a RPG with a good budget on a console.

Watch Da Birdie

If you're looking for a dueling simulator, both duelingnetwork.com and YGOPro/DevPro (2 programs you can download based on the same source code. Most people think DevPro is better, but YGOPro is the only one on Mac) are both great. Free Peer to Peer dueling, updated with cards pretty much as soon as they're announced. You have to do everything manually on DN, but on Pro everything is done for you automatically. Pro is honestly quite amazing, but my Mac client stopped updating and I haven't figured out how to fix it. There's also an Android version that gets updated pretty regularly, and an iOS version that hasn't been updated since it came out in December, but the guy swears he submits the updates to Apple.

I don't know, those aren't the same. There's only a few A.I. decks, and everything else is against real-players who aren't as...I guess creative? Well, that's not what I mean exactly, but in the videogames you could play against characters who used a bunch of different deck types, with YGOPro I could end up playing against multiple opponents running the same deck more or less.

Plus I like the lite-RPG elements like earning the cards instead of having everything available at the get-go.

Venom Fox

Banned
They didn't finish with Metal Gear. Yeah, they killed it, but they need to bury it now.

The same happened with Silent Hill. Homecoming with no Team Silent killed the franchise, the other titles buried it.
They haven't finished with Metal Gear, as far as I'm aware they've started hiring for a new team.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I was super into YuGiOh at first but the game is ridiculous. The power creep is beyond imagining and they just continued to make the game unnecessarily complicated yet in the most superficial sense, making it confusing without any real depth or complexity.

Obviously Konami's best move would to make a Metal Gear X Yu-Gi-Oh game.
"It's time for Jack to let 'er d-d-d-d-duel!"

Although Ac!d already exists...

The last console Yu Gi Oh I played lacked the ability to zoom in and view the card art up close. I quit playing because I suck at games but love the art and text. I basically collect art. Since that was hampered, I went back to playing Magic.

Watch Da Birdie

They just released a good xbla game last year that covered all of the series, Yu-Gi-Oh Millenium Duels. >_>

Nope, because like I said, it lacks the "game" elements of the videogames and is just a simulator more or less, plus it has a lot of In-App Purchases where previous games did not You paid for the game, and got all the cards within. I recall even the DLC cards were free in the DS-PSP era.

Metal Gear (probably) won't be the same without Kojima.

Castlevania is fucked for the time being until they do something.

They have been putting less effort into their rhythm games.

I see why he says Yugioh is the thing they could focus back on.

Yugioh brings in a bunch of cash and making videogames again, good ones at that, could be really good. Like I said earlier though, with the anime and the game itself, they are going to try to make the cheapest ones possible with DLC for card packs in them wherever they can.

Don't forget they actually released a game out in the West last year on the 3DS:

VvJOb3T.png

Dimmle

Metal Gear (probably) won't be the same without Kojima.

Castlevania is fucked for the time being until they do something.

They have been putting less effort into their rhythm games.

I see why he says Yugioh is the thing they could focus back on.

Yugioh brings in a bunch of cash and making videogames again, good ones at that, could be really good. Like I said earlier though, with the anime and the game itself, they are going to try to make the cheapest ones possible with DLC for card packs in them wherever they can.

With "best" qualified as "most profitable," I can entertain that thesis.

"Best" as in "does the most good for humankind," though, we've got Bomberman to consider.

Watch Da Birdie

Don't bother, the English version was horribly cheapened...

Outside Japan, the game has had a lot of content removed. There are no Duelist Profiles, no Ending Pictures, no Photos, all Sleeves and Mats are unlocked from the start and there is no Device or Database modes. The only playable characters are Yuma, Astral, ZEXAL, Tori, Reginald, Kite, Dr. Faker, Vetrix, Trey, Quattro, Alito & Konami-kun (aka Tag Force's Hat Guy).

Basically it took out all the video-game elements and made things more or less a stale simulator. The original didn't have online in the first place so it's a skip.

Chemo

Even though Konami is fucking worthless, I honestly kind of think they set both Metal Gear and Hideo Kojima free, even if that means Metal Gear is now free to become shitty. Been kind of tired of the direction it and Kojima have been going in for a while.

But yeah, feel free to make YuGiOh games, Konami.

gdt

Yugioh was a big deal for me when I was a kid. Not so much the games...but I was pretty hardcore into the card game for a couple years in middle school/high school.

Went to a bunch of tournaments and mostly did well.

I quit in my junior year I think.

I realized i was putting a lot of time and money into it and I was taking it too seriously. Sold my cards and I was done with it. I have fond memories of it.

With "best" qualified as "most profitable," I can entertain that thesis.

"Best" as in "does the most good for humankind," though, we've got Bomberman to consider.

Hey I like Yugioh but if we can somehow get them to get Bomberman to comeback I want that first too.

Don't bother, the English version was horribly cheapened...

Basically it took out all the video-game elements and made things more or less a stale simulator. The original didn't have online in the first place so it's a skip.

Well shit, I do remember people complaining about it some point.

Yugioh needs to go back to the tag force formula and get rid of microtransactions. I loved Tag Force 2 mianly because of the story mode and extra stuff you could do in the game.

I think yugioh would benefit alot from a RPG styled format while combining the card game as well.

Nope, because like I said, it lacks the "game" elements of the videogames and is just a simulator more or less, plus it has a lot of In-App Purchases where previous games did not You paid for the game, and got all the cards within. I recall even the DLC cards were free in the DS-PSP era.

Also it didn't help how painfully slow it took to actually get cards compared to the tag force games.

Watch Da Birdie

Yugioh needs to go back to the tag force formula and get rid of microtransactions. I loved Tag Force 2 mianly because of the story mode and extra stuff you could do in the game.

I think yugioh would benefit alot from a RPG styled format while combining the card game as well.

Xenoverse-style would be pretty neat (minus the crazy RNG drops)

Make a custom character, walk around Domino City battling characters from all five series, etc.

As a kid I always wanted a free-range Battle City game. There was that one GBA one which retold the story, but it sucked since it used those weird "Type Advantage" rules and you only got like one card after each Duel and your cards sucked.

Xenoverse-style would be pretty neat (minus the crazy RNG drops)

Make a custom character, walk around Domino City battling characters from all five series, etc.

As a kid I always wanted a free-range Battle City game. There was that one GBA one which retold the story, but it sucked since it used those weird "Type Advantage" rules and you only got like one card after each Duel and your cards sucked.

Sacred Cards wasn't that bad of game but it barely follows the rules at all and theres almost nothing to do after you beat the main storyline.

I know the cardgame is the main focus of the yugioh games but they could at least add more variety to entice people to buy it.

Top Bottom