• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Konami has killed Metal Gear, can we please see a Yu-Gi-Oh renaissance?

Rageki was at 2 last time I checked

So they're gonna reban the old cards to make by boosters for the new cards

It's always the same cycle

Raigeki is at 1, Dark Hole at 2 to give a total of three field wipes. Not that anyone actually runs them all the time competitively. A field wipe is rarely as good as just having a better field than your opponent. Helps against the Nekroz Djinn Lock though when you know they don't have a Gungnir in hand.

Boogiepop

I don't think those particularly follow and I'm not hopeful considering what they've been doing lately, but yeah... I really just want at least one halfway decent, not impossibly butchered 3DS entry. Or Vita, or whatever. Just... something.

Somehow I doubt MGS has any influence in how much money Konami invests in Yugioh games. It's not like the staff at Kojipro have been waiting all this time to make a AAA Yugioh game and MGS was just the anchor holding them back.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't think those particularly follow and I'm not hopeful considering what they've been doing lately, but yeah... I really just want at least one halfway decent, not impossibly butchered 3DS entry. Or Vita, or whatever. Just... something.

I'd love to see Action Duels incorporated into a fun gimmick game.

Like mixing together platforming with playing the TCG or something. No clue how that'd work though

AlanOC91

I've been playing through a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh games recently. The AI in those games were....strange. Very strange.

Forbidden Memories on the PS1, probably my favorite one. You can't beat the game without either a equip, trap or destruction magic cards. And you need at least 2 (possibly 3).

I farmed 3 Meteor B. Dragon cards (strangest card YOU can get) and couldn't beat it until I memory card traded 3 Raigekis. Trying to win equip cards is EXTREMELY tedious as you need to grind S-Tech victories (having your opponent run out of cards). One of these duels alone can take 20 minutes and it can be expected that you need to do 30+ of them to win the equip card. This is so very time consuming. Same goes for farming trap cards.

The annoying part is that you absolutely need at least more than 1 of these as your opponent can use Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragons which can only be beat my a magic, trap or powered up equip monster.

The AI freaks out constantly, I've had it attack my Meteor B.Dragons with weaker monsters and kill themselves. They've also left monsters in attack mode when I have strong monsters out and on the rare occasion they would just end their turn instead of killing me. These are usually very strong monster but weaker than Meteor B. Dragon. This card seems to make them do weird things.

Not to mention the game just barely followed the actual card system.

Dawn of Destiny on the original Xbox actually followed the card combat system but the AI was weird in that too. Like in Forbidden Memories, they will ALWAYS know the attack/defence of face down cards. So it's pointless trying to play out a face down defence strategy of them attacking you and losing life points. They will almost always mess up cards like Destiny Board by playing the first card then throwing down loads of face down magic or equip cards next to it rendering it useless.

Yami Bakura has Dark Necrofear in his deck which he never seems to want to summon, even when given the chance. Someone told me they once left a whole duel go trying to get him to summon it, he never does.

World Championship Tournament 2004 on the GBA shares a lot of similarities with Dawn of Destiny as it was released shortly after it. The AI generally plays the same too. It's cheap as hell though. Yugi has a maximum luck factor in that game which means he will almost always draw the required cards to counter what you have done. Finally summoned a strong monster? Well it's about to get destroyed my a magic/trap card. So god damn annoying.

Anyway, sorry about the spiel. I could go on and on. I've been on a Yu-Gi-Oh binge lately. The AI in these games really do amaze me.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't think any Yu-Gi-Oh game ever fixed the obvious A.I. issue where you could without fail bait them into attacking a weak monster by switching it to ATK, often them switching every one of their monsters to ATK. Really easy to bait them into a Trap...hell, in some games they'd do this even when you had a powerful monster out alongside it that could take them out.

I remember one of the cheap A.I. tricks, but very exploitable, was in one of the early GBA World Championship games, Kaiba would every other duel use the Cyberstein + Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon combo right at the beginning. Pays half his LP to use Cyberstein to get BLUD out on his first turn. But you could just throw in Magic Cylinder, set that on your first turn and leave your field empty, and when he uses BLUD, blast him back with its 4000 ATK.

AlanOC91

I remember one of the cheap A.I. tricks, but very exploitable, was in one of the early GBA World Championship games, Kaiba would every other duel use the Cyberstein + Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon combo right at the beginning. Pays half his LP to use Cyberstein to get BLUD out on his first turn. But you could just throw in Magic Cylinder, set that on your first turn and leave your field empty, and when he uses BLUD, blast him back with its 4000 ATK.

Wow that brings back memories! I remember him doing that constantly and reflecting the damage or hitting him with a mirror force.

I think it might actually be in World Championship Tournament 2004 but not 100% sure. It might actually be Worldwide Edition.

Astral Dog

Uh probably they could take the money they're currently pouring onto underperforming games and invest it in their fitness clubs and gambling businesses. They have a lot of game staff which could transfer over to doing gambling games and game-like fitness stuff. I think the larger part of their exodus of talent has been people who don't want to do this kind of work.

A Metal Gear Fitness Club

Rival

Gold Member
So if something that is amazing is no longer being offered we should hope for something horrible to replace it with?

Takao

Banned
Wow that brings back memories! I remember him doing that constantly and reflecting the damage or hitting him with a mirror force.

I think it might actually be in World Championship Tournament 2004 but not 100% sure. It might actually be Worldwide Edition.

I vividly remember the Cyberstein combo in WWE. That was the first import game I ever owned.

ohlawd

I'd love this. I would have bought the 3DS game if they didn't cut out so much shit and I don't even care about multiplayer

with Love Plus dead, Yugioh really is is the only good thing Konami has left. hmm but I'll take an MGR2 if they ever fund that.

God, I left the Yugioh wagon around the GX series when fusion cards got pretty crazy. Looking at newer cards now honestly scares the shit out of me 0_o

Usobuko

Banned
Get hyped for card games on motorcycles.

Yugioh_5d__s_demotivator_by_Endermon.jpg

I love 5d

Watch Da Birdie

I'm all for a new yugioh, provided it stays up to date and has the same set up as dueling network. I.e cards are all unlocked by default.

I'd like a compromise when it comes to this.

Have a moderately lengthy scenario mode where you have to earn cards to use against CPU opponents.

And then have the PvP Local/Online mode have everything available from the get-go. That way, everyone is happy.

Top Bottom