• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Sony stumbling can only be a good thing. They wont stay down imo, things are going to get much much better.

Ya know I always thought if Sega had a bit more $$$ and marketing muscle, the Dreamcast should have beat the PS2. This news confirms that notion.

fernoca said:
Also, many are forgeting how "little things" can change the course of everthing.

Like this same situations/replies last year, between the "Nintendo DS vs. PSP"..on every NPD thread, and how was the Nintendo DS "doomed", because the PSP was selling more than the DS monthly.

Then, came the DS lite (and some unknown games like Brain Age?? and "another Mario game"??? ..... ;)

Not much difference between the PS3 and the Wii, really. Only Wii's DSlite came rather early: Wii Sports.

Chris_C

quest said:
You said sony is the only ones looking forward well xenos is looking forward as much as anything in the PS3.

I didn't say they were the only forward looking company, I said I felt they were the most forward looking. Additionally, I wasn't talking purely about technology.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Brimstone said:
The Wii comes across as more of the same from a Nintendo platform. Meaning the lions share of software sales will come from Nintendo created games with 3rd party publishers getting the crumbs.

That will all depend on how seriously third parties handle their Wii games. If you're planning on just dumping your Far Crys and shit, don't expect much.

There really is no magical mystery towards why Nintendo dominates on their systems. Because they're the only ones actually TRYING most of the time.

PleoMax

Banned
Brimstone said:
For the 360, Microsoft should have a killer line-up in 2008 along with lower priced hardware.

Fable 2- one of the best selling Xbox 1 games

Allan Wake - from the creators of Max Payne

The rumor that Project Offset is going to be published by Microsoft

The rumor that Air Tight games signed with Microsoft

HD-DVD gains from this. The add-on is obviously going to get lower in price as time goes on.

The Wii comes across as more of the same from a Nintendo platform. Meaning the lions share of software sales will come from Nintendo created games with 3rd party publishers getting the crumbs.

Who the **** is Air Tight?

Found the site -> AirtTight Games

"Airtight Games is currently working with one of the industry's leading publishers on a major unannounced title. As soon as the relationship and the project are made public we will add more information to this site.

One thing we can tell you is that we are beginning a phase of intense hiring, so those interested should check out the Jobs/Contact page on the left."

And

"Airtight Games , recently formed from the core team that shipped the award winning Xbox title, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, is in league with a major publisher to ship a ground breaking next-gen title. With backgrounds in the game, film, television and comic book industries, Airtight’s eclectic team claims ship credit on over fifty different titles and decades of combined industry experience."

ooooohhhh...hmmm

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Here's the thing (for the North American market).
Xbox 360 is $400. PS3 is $600. Nobody wants the cheaper SKUs (because of reality for the 360, because of perception for the PS3).
360 is selling OK but not great because of the price.
PS3 is selling SHITTY because of the price.
You can add stuff like downloadable moves, HOME, Blu-Ray, etc., but most of your potential customers DON'T GIVE A SHIT about this stuff when buying a game console.
$400 is too much for a game console and $600 is WAY TOO MUCH.
I have both but I am a rare idiot and you'll never make money counting on having many consumers like me.
And the economy is only going to get worse. Oh, shit.
All this stuff about '$599 US Dollars' may sound like a joke, but it is real.

I agree with every point. (Including the fact that I have both and am a rare idiot. :) )

Ben Sones

chriskzoo said:
So from a total video game hardware perspective, Nintendo is clearly out in front, with Sony $30M behind for the month and MS a distant 3rd with nearly 1/2 the revenue of Nintendo.

The Internet bubble called--they want their broken business model back. I mean, revenue? is Ithis seriously the best spin GAFers can come up with? Spin, people! SPIN!

sonycowboy said:
Nintendo DS 485,000
Wii 335,000
PlayStation 2 295,000
Xbox 360 228,000
PlayStation Portable 176,000
Game Boy Advance 136,000
PlayStation 3 127,000
GameCube 24,000
Xbox 480

ouchpe1.png

chriskzoo said:
But Sony and Nintendo have two different models. Nintendo will not sell hardware that doesn't make profit, while Sony goes with the "Give away the razors to sell the blades" approach, hoping to make it up in software.

Ironically, I believe it was Nintendo that invented the the 'give away razors to sell the blades' business model with the original NES.

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Xbox 360 is $400. PS3 is $600. Nobody wants the cheaper SKUs (because of reality for the 360, because of perception for the PS3).

You can add stuff like downloadable moves, HOME, Blu-Ray, etc., but most of your potential customers DON'T GIVE A SHIT about this stuff when buying a game console.

I have both but I am a rare idiot and you'll never make money counting on having many consumers like me.

hammernaildt9.png

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
speculawyer said:
Ironically, I believe it was Nintendo that invented the the 'give away razors to sell the blades' business model with the original NES.

Nintendo has made money on every console at launch except for the Gamecube, and then they only lost $10 a unit.

Bulla564 said:
We can debate for hours, but I believe the N64 got replaced because they continued to rely on Mario games, while Sony grew along with the gamers (as far as more mature content goes).

I don't know if you guys were around for that war . . . but a big issue in those days was that N64 games cost more to the consumer and gave smaller profit margins to the developers due to the cartridge v. disc format. The cartridge format really hurt Nintendo.

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Yep. That is correct.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
PleoMax said:
Who the **** is Air Tight?

Found the site -> AirtTight Games

"Airtight Games is currently working with one of the industry's leading publishers on a major unannounced title. As soon as the relationship and the project are made public we will add more information to this site.

One thing we can tell you is that we are beginning a phase of intense hiring, so those interested should check out the Jobs/Contact page on the left."

Airtight is made up of ex-Crimson Skies developers. If anyone is making Crimson Skies 2 it's these guys.

It doesn't mean that they are with Microsoft either. But for now I assume they have signed with Microsoft as the publisher of their next game.

lolSony. :lol

DOOOOOOOOMED!

Can't wait till Pokemon DS comes out, and by the end of the year the Wii will be in full swing too, Smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash Brothers!

Those numbers are pretty bad but in all honesty I think it's a bit too early to start the gloom and doom talk.

The PS3 is in the typical post launch game drought, so even though I own one I can't honestly recommend one to my friends until probably the mid summer (Warhawk, HS?, Assassin's Creed)

When a good amount of proper games hit and the sales are this bad, that's when Sony should start charging the defibrillator.

Z3F

Banned
speculawyer said:
I don't know if you guys were around for that war . . . but a big issue in those days was that N64 games cost more to the consumer and gave smaller profit margins to the developers due to the cartridge v. disc format. The cartridge format really hurt Nintendo.

Yup, I still remember paying more than $70 for "classics" like Killer Instinct and NBA Hangtime. With inflation, I guess a N64 cartridge cost almost as much as a DS Lite. :lol

Future

Sony has just been home to a bunch of horrible decisions. PSP years later still ain't deliverin the goods. UMD movies have been a waste of time. PS3 is way too expensive, and BlueRay inclusion made the laser so hard to make that they undershipped way below their targets. Both PSP and PS3 way too expensive at the moment, and brand strength is not overcoming this. GTA4 not exclusive.

Meanwhile, Xbox360 launching early? GREAT DECISION. Xbox Live features and improvements since launch? Blows the more expensive competition out the water. DS cheap Dual Screen and Touch Screen design? Brilliant decision. Wii instead of competing directly, offers a different experience than the big 2 competitors? Great decision.

The scary thing is that no real Wii heavy hitters have come out aside from Wii Sports and a quick Zelda port. The success Wii sports will only inspire many more similar games in the future that the consumer will eat up. Xbox360 is still Halo free, but it is coming and SOON..along with a Gears sequel. DS is just gonna get stronger with Dragon Quest 9 and what not.

Sony hopefully can eventually make up for it with their big JPN 3rd party titles, but by that point it might already be over

mugwhump

speculawyer said:
I thought it was that company that made razors

Jirotrom

Mo the Hawk said:
AWesome!!:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I go to work and come back to this. I just want to know how Sony feels right now. I love the PS2 and I'm enjoying GoW2, but they need to realize 600 is just too much.

LukeSmith

dejan said:
He might be smiling, but I bet he was dying a little inside upon seeing the NPD numbers.

NPD day is my favorite day every month. It's the most interesting time to look at what is actually happening in the industry outside of review scores. All three platform holders NEED to be successful this cycle. Sony had a bad month -- they won't all be like this. The message board reaction to numbers is a huge secondary benefit to NPD day. It's Comedy Evolved.

J-Rzez

Gotta love the people hoping for Sony's utmost failure... Because we would be so better off without any competition to make MS push their hardware and software services...

PS3 is hardly a failure. It is doing better than Xbox360 did at this time. It is a huge success if anything, given the price.

May I be the first to point out youre completely ignoring the current runaway success that is the Wii???

Saitou

Banned
creamsugar said:
DS - 485,149
Wii - 335,324
PS2 - 295,102
360 - 228,225
PSP - 175,651
GBA - 135,887
PS3 - 127,321
GC - 23,844

:D
I do believe, good sir or madam, that constitutes as a ban.

GOOD DAY.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
J-Rzez said:
Gotta love the people hoping for Sony's utmost failure... Because we would be so better off without any competition to make MS push their hardware and software services...

Want a tissue ?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
beermonkey@tehbias said:

It's not that no one wants $500 PS3 over the more expensive one (I think it's quite the opposite actually). It's that it's basically impossible to find, noone's ever getting any of them, and there are rumors they are even discontinued. In reality, Sony should discontinue the 60GB model, and sell only the $20Gb one. That would stop the market confusion, and they would have to eat some more losses, but in the end it would mean a $100 cheaper PS3, which in the long run would almost certainly pay off. But what do I know :\

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I'm sorry to see all you nintendo fanboys fooled by this "NPD", but the PS3 clearly sold more last month pound for pound. Don't believe me? Read the proof and weep...

PS3_no_1.jpg

:D

Clouseau

Evenball said:
I'm sorry to see all you nintendo fanboys fooledby this "NPD", but the PS3 clearly sold more last month pound for pound. Don't believe me? Read the proof and weep...

PS3_no_1.jpg

:lol

Get this man a job in the Sony PR department! Stat!

Evlar

Banned
Evenball said:
I'm sorry to see all you nintendo fanboys fooledby this "NPD", but the PS3 clearly sold more last month pound for pound. Don't believe me? Read the proof and weep...

PS3_no_1.jpg
By gum, you're right!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Granted this generation is not over but gee, don't thinks full circle.

Now Sony fans have become the deticated loyal ones arguing passionately about why they love Sony prodcuts and why they choose to support the least popular console.

Remind you of anyone?

Top Bottom