• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

xabre

Banned
Evenball said:
PS3_no_1.jpg

:lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=atMw_6rUVHMI&refer=asia

Sony Maintains Target of 6 Million PlayStation 3 Sales for Year

By Holger Elfes

March 15 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's largest maker of video-game players, is maintaining its forecast of selling 6 million PlayStation 3 units for the fiscal year that ends in March, a spokesman said.

Sony will provide estimates on May 13 for shipments of PlayStation 3 for the fiscal year that ends in March 2008, Nick Sharples said today in an interview at the Cebit trade fair in Hanover, Germany.

Sony will start a beta test in April for a new interactive avatar-based community that will be integrated in the company's PlayStation, Sharples told reporters at a press conference in Hanover.

Tokyo-based Sony had to postpone the PlayStation 3's European debut after a parts shortage for the machine's Blu-ray DVD player. Sharples said sales in Europe will start March 23.

To contact the reporter on this story: Holger Elfes in Dusseldorf at helfes@bloomberg.net .

SonSon2

Evenball said:
I'm sorry to see all you nintendo fanboys fooled by this "NPD", but the PS3 clearly sold more last month pound for pound. Don't believe me? Read the proof and weep...

PS3_no_1.jpg

:D

You are onto something here.

Get this man a cigar.

Evlar

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

By Holger Elfes

March 15 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's largest maker of video-game players, is maintaining its forecast of selling 6 million PlayStation 3 units for the fiscal year that ends in March, a spokesman said.

Sony will provide estimates on May 13 for shipments of PlayStation 3 for the fiscal year that ends in March 2008, Nick Sharples said today in an interview at the Cebit trade fair in Hanover, Germany.

Sony will start a beta test in April for a new interactive avatar-based community that will be integrated in the company's PlayStation, Sharples told reporters at a press conference in Hanover.

Tokyo-based Sony had to postpone the PlayStation 3's European debut after a parts shortage for the machine's Blu-ray DVD player. Sharples said sales in Europe will start March 23.

To contact the reporter on this story: Holger Elfes in Dusseldorf at helfes@bloomberg.net .
Well they're certainly optimistic.

AniHawk

Agent Icebeezy said:

By Holger Elfes

They're gonna be flooding the channels to reach that number. They did the same thing with the PSP in 2005.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Agent Icebeezy said:

Wow! They're not even trying to spin anymore. Now it's just straight up LYING.

Flyguy

Agent Icebeezy said:

By Holger Elfes

March 2008?

Clouseau

Agent Icebeezy said:

By Holger Elfes

I look forward to the GAF reports of local Best Buys building scale model Taj Mahal's out of PS3 boxes.

Jirotrom

LukeSmith said:
NPD day is my favorite day every month. It's the most interesting time to look at what is actually happening in the industry outside of review scores. All three platform holders NEED to be successful this cycle. Sony had a bad month -- they won't all be like this. The message board reaction to numbers is a huge secondary benefit to NPD day. It's Comedy Evolved.
eh eh... I see what you did there:D

J-Rzez

Ryudo said:
Want a tissue ?

I don't want them to adapt their O/S strategies to consoles and get just slightly nicer looking junk every couple years... It was nice to have someone push Sony to build some nifty tech... and it was nice that MS actually had competition for once in something they meddled in and actually made something that's enjoyable to use... That's all...

Grow up...

KINGMOKU

Agent Icebeezy said:

By Holger Elfes

Well, good luck with that.
goober.jpg

"You'd have better luck playing pick-up-sticks with your buttcheeks, then selling 6million PS3's by the end of march"

Agent Icebeezy said:

By Holger Elfes

allahkitty.jpg

Going beyond the "Sony AM dOOmed" comments, I really wonder what the higher ups at Sony are thinking right now.

I imagine they've got a plan B. But, with all the arrogance they have shown over the last 9 months or so, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they really don't. They have got to be absolutely scrambling right now......crunching numbers to see how quickly they can drop the price, pack in a game, whatever.

It is almost scary how nicely MS has positioned themselves this fall. They hold all the cards.

Jirotrom

moku said:
Well, good luck with that.
goober.jpg

"You'd have better luck playing pick-up-sticks with your buttcheeks, then selling 6million PS3's by the end of march"
You know when Sony says sales they mean shipped to retailers...duh.

J-Rzez

Agent Icebeezy said:

Not hard to believe considering they promised 1 million to EU... and, lots of retailers said they were able to take more preorders than they were originally told... and, some believe they'll have some to put on the shelves after meeting those said pre-orders... Could Sony be shipping out enough units to meet that mark, and maybe, some to put on the shelves as well? No... must be lies... it has to be... right?

siamesedreamer said:
Going beyond the "Sony AM dOOmed" comments, I really wonder what the higher ups at Sony are thinking right now.

I imagine they've got a plan B. But, with all the arrogance they have shown over the last 9 months or so, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they really don't. They have got to be absolutely scrambling right now......crunching numbers to see how quickly they can drop the price, pack in a game, whatever.

It is almost scary how nicely MS has positioned themselves this fall. They hold all the cards.

Microsoft may be well set-up for the fall but they still need to find a way to cap Nintendo's market share while growing their own. Nintendo isn't just Sony's problem.

Evlar

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Not hard to believe considering they promised 1 million to EU... and, lots of retailers said they were able to take more preorders than they were originally told... and, some believe they'll have some to put on the shelves after meeting those said pre-orders... Could Sony be shipping out enough units to meet that mark, and maybe, some to put on the shelves as well? No... must be lies... it has to be... right?
I don't think we're doubting Sony can SHIP 6 million PS3s...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Microsoft may be well set-up for the fall but they still need to find a way to cap Nintendo's market share while growing their own. Nintendo isn't just Sony's problem.

One of the consoles will co-exist with the Wii.

J-Rzez

yoopoo said:
http://www.wii60.com/uploads/2210.jpg[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that Wii buyers are mindless zombies that can't handle anything complicated since Zombies are, in-fact, stupid? :P

[spoiler]I remember how much fun it was just to drive through the service tunnels in dead rising... Gotta do it again now, thx alot...[/spoiler]

Flyguy

J-Rzez said:

The WW install base is roughly 1.8 million. That's a lot of PS3's of shelves and ships if Europe gets a million.

Marconelly said:
It's not that no one wants $500 PS3 over the more expensive one (I think it's quite the opposite actually). It's that it's basically impossible to find, noone's ever getting any of them, and there are rumors they are even discontinued. In reality, Sony should discontinue the 60GB model, and sell only the $20Gb one. That would stop the market confusion, and they would have to eat some more losses, but in the end it would mean a $100 cheaper PS3, which in the long run would almost certainly pay off. But what do I know :\

I agree with you 100%.

The 60BG PS3's can simply be called "limited premium launch edition PS3's" and we can call it a day.

J-Rzez said:
Are you suggesting that Wii buyers are mindless zombies that can't handle anything complicated since Zombies are, in-fact, stupid? :p

I remember how much fun it was just to drive through the service tunnels in dead rising... Gotta do it again now, thx alot...

:lol Some good Sony spin there. This thread delivers!

impirius

I love you guys.

Evenball said:
I'm sorry to see all you nintendo fanboys fooled by this "NPD", but the PS3 clearly sold more last month pound for pound. Don't believe me? Read the proof and weep...
:lol

rs7k

Well, my ride with the PS3 is pretty much over. I had to choose between two consoles to take with me to school (having to study 6 hours a day will cut into your gaming time, believe me), and it was all too easy to choose the 360. I won't be stuck with a $500 doorstop (I'm one of the few 20GB owners here).

It's a great console, but way ahead of its time. Blu-Ray was a big mistake for Sony. Don't expect a price drop anytime soon. Sony is in a very difficult position, since even though the PS3's MSRP is quite steep, it costs even more to make it. And at the price it's at, it will flop. As a gaming console, if it remains at $499/599, the PS3 is DONE. Especially with Halo 3 as the final blow.

I'd like to remind people launching the PS3 alongside the Wii was also another big mistake, because word of mouth among casuals is usually only about one console. Casuals won't go, "Wow, look at the Wii, its got an awesome new controller, and how about that PS3, the graphics are insane and it has Blu-Ray built-in" --> That's nerd-speak.

Among casuals, it's very simple: "Wii is awesome". Nintendo essentially stole away all of Sony's thunder during launch, to the point that my mom knows what a Wii is. People have the Wii in their mind, go into a store and can't find it, they look at the PS3 and go "oh yeah, that's the new Playstation". They play the kiosk, look at the price, and walk out of the store still wanting a Wii. The next time they go in, they'll ignore the PS3, just like every other casual. It's pretty clear that only hardcore gamers are buying the PS3. It needs a price drop pretty badly. If Sony doesn't drop the price, Microsoft will walk away the winner in the HD console war worldwide, mark my words.

I don't want to come off as a troll or anything, but it's pretty clear it's not a bad idea to sell your PS3 while it still has some value.

Flyguy said:
March 2008?

yeah i thought the target was 6MM by June but i guess i was confused.. they damn well better sell 6MM by March 08

edit: this thread has gotten a lot more negative since i ileft work... i think some of you are really over-reacting

rs7k said:
I don't want to come off as a troll or anything, but it's pretty clear it's not a bad idea to sell your PS3 while it still has some value.

I say keep it. The inevitable gimping with the hardware might make the first generation PS3's more valuable, actually.

I truly don't give a shit about any of this sales stuff, but I have to say that I'm only about 1/3 of the way through this thread and haven't laughed this hard in a long while. Some of you guys really need to learn to unclench, or you're going to be on high blood pressure meds before you're thirty.

SleazyC

rs7k said:
Well, my ride with the PS3 is pretty much over. I had to choose between two consoles to take with me to school (having to study 6 hours a day will cut into your gaming time, believe me), and it was all too easy to choose the 360. I won't be stuck with a $500 doorstop (I'm one of the few 20GB owners here).

It's a great console, but way ahead of its time. Blu-Ray was a big mistake for Sony. Don't expect a price drop anytime soon. Sony is in a very difficult position, since even though the PS3's MSRP is quite steep, it costs even more to make it. And at the price it's at, it will flop. As a gaming console, if it remains at $499/599, the PS3 is DONE. Especially with Halo 3 as the final blow.

I'd like to remind people launching the PS3 alongside the Wii was also another big mistake, because word of mouth among casuals is usually only about one console. Casuals won't go, "Wow, look at the Wii, its got an awesome new controller, and how about that PS3, the graphics are insane and it has Blu-Ray built-in" --> That's nerd-speak.

Among casuals, it's very simple: "Wii is awesome". Nintendo essentially stole away all of Sony's thunder during launch, to the point that my mom knows what a Wii is. People have the Wii in their mind, go into a store and can't find it, they look at the PS3 and go "oh yeah, that's the new Playstation". They play the kiosk, look at the price, and walk out of the store still wanting a Wii. The next time they go in, they'll ignore the PS3, just like every other casual. It's pretty clear that only hardcore gamers are buying the PS3. It needs a price drop pretty badly. If Sony doesn't drop the price, Microsoft will walk away the winner in the HD console war worldwide, mark my words.

I took both.

The PS3 is a pretty sleek and nice machine that has a very little catalog and a high price. The rest of this year doesn't really look amazing either but some quality software is out there. The price really is the big barrier at the moment as you can bet that it would be easier to stomach a console at $400 with a small pool of A games versus $600. Sales are bad and Sony should be very worried but gamers shouldn't be.

Top Bottom