• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Here's what MS needs to do, drop the damm price, no more waiting. MS was waiting for Sony to make a movie, but it so happens that the Wii is the one with the foot in the pedal man. Sony needs to wake the **** up, home and little big planet? Mother****er your console costs 600$, get real...

Unless MS and Sony trully believe that the Wii is going to live in its own market, with very different games from the 360/ps3 (Wich has to happen, since The wii doesn't have the horse power to make games like the ones on the 360/Ps3) and let it go on its own while MS and Sony keep trying to outdo eachother.

Man...this sucks, i have a Wii, my only game bought was Zelda, i like the wii...but i don't want the Wii to be the future of this industry, i mean, whatever have two kind of markets, but don't make the Wii the standard....

I'm praying for that

Tritroid

Duderz said:
5803.jpg
very fitting :lol

ziran

krypt0nian said:
That's why 360, and by default PS3 will have no 3rd party support problems IMO. Software BOOMS on 360, and the PS3 ports are the obvious benefit.
I agree about western sw, but PS3's poor sales in Japan suggests less support from Japanese developers for 360 in the long term (unless they're making games with a Western audience in mind, like LP), which will stiffle their ability to appeal to a wider base than the original Xbox. If things continue as they have been doing, Japanese support for games with potential in their home market will move to Wii, which will make a 360 port difficult.

If Wii ends up dominating it's difficult to predict what will happen because it's such a different development environment from PS3/360, however imo 360's head start will ensure continued support in those styles of games which are already successful on the platform.

Jtyettis said:
Do you really, really think Mario is going to trump Halo 3 sales this year? Haha, even with my love of Mario I know better than to make a faulty argument such as this.
I am doubting Halo 3's system selling potential, in that it won't be as many people think because it's the type of experience which is already selling the console. A good amount of the Halo audience will already have the hw by the time the game is released, but it's still going to be a huge title and probably the biggest selling this year in NA.

Halo 3 could end up outselling Mario Galaxy (total sales), but if Nintendo delivers, SMG could end up being a 10+ million seller, which is going to be very difficult for Halo 3 to match. Either way though, Halo 3 will probably be 360's biggest selling title but I don't think it's going to be as strong as some of Nintendo's other 1st party releases on Wii. Recently their franchises have a habbit of being huge, like Nintendogs on DS, which will sell more than Halo1+2 combined with ease (and probably has already).

aztrex said:
You know what's gonna happen when even more people get their hands on a Wii? Word of mouth will spread faster. It will snowball. In my estimation, we haven't seen anything yet. This holiday season is gonna be an absolute wiiwash.
I agree :)

EDIT-
Merovingian said:
Here's what MS needs to do, drop the damm price, no more waiting. MS was waiting for Sony to make a movie, but it so happens that the Wii is the one with the foot in the pedal man. Sony needs to wake the **** up, home and little big planet? Mother****er your console costs 600$, get real...

Unless MS and Sony trully believe that the Wii is going to live in its own market, with very different games from the 360/ps3 (Wich has to happen, since The wii doesn't have the horse power to make games like the ones on the 360/Ps3) and let it go on its own while MS and Sony keep trying to outdo eachother.

Man...this sucks, i have a Wii, my only game bought was Zelda, i like the wii...but i don't want the Wii to be the future of this industry, i mean, whatever have two kind of markets, but don't make the Wii the standard....

I'm praying for that
But this is their biggest problem when it comes to trying to create a mass market console. Sony and MS are so busy trying to outdo each other they didn't realise a more involved, more complicated, more time consuming experience could be something the mass market doesn't want.

People have too much to do these days, even kids, with incredible growth (and bandwidth) of the internet, mobile phones, etc, compared to even 5-6 years ago, so it's only natural gaming takes a hit. Nintendo is the only company making gaming simpler and providing a more instant experience, and imo they're reaping the benefits because of this, and will continue to do so.

However, I doubt 360 support is going to dry up totally, it has a big enough installed base of enthusiastic people who buy a lot of games, so 3rd parties will continue to support it.

felipeko

Merovingian said:
By future of this industry you mean inovative and cheap?

You know, nintendo will add horsepower when its cheap...
But looks like it's just the end of the world for some ppl to wait few years...

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
sol_bad said:
http://www.vgcharts.org/aconscomps.php?name1=PS3&name2=X360&type=0&align=0

So why were people not screaming that Mcrosoft were in deep shit back on February of 2006?
The amount of Sony hate is amazing.

The market trends has shown us that the market leader is the system what gets more games. The Xbox360 is the market leader, and far away easier to develop for (and cheaper too). If the trend sales continue like this month, developers are going to switch development efforts from PS3 to the other 2 systems. When the PS3 gets with a few exclusives only, and the Xbox360 and the Wii gets tons of great exclusive games... the PS3 will be beaten.

This year is the year that Sony was supposed to turn the omelette on next gen wars, and they're failing hardly meanwhile Nintendo has stolen the PS3 launch thunder. Sony has trouble, serious trouble. Microsoft and Nintendo are winners.

sol_bad said:

So why were people not screaming that Mcrosoft were in deep shit back on February of 2006?
Either you weren't on the board at the time or you suffered memory loss since that time. With no one in the field back then, it didn't matter quite as much how sales were. Now that all racers are on the track, things are different.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That has long been my concern.

Thankfully, XBOX360 sales seem to be rock solid and the industry has invested heavily in technologies that will be of little use on the Wii.

I just hope Sony can hang on long enough to allow for its first parties to shine.

They can't add horsepower to the current machine. That would require a completely new platform.

The point is, if the Wii were to grab the lion's share of software support, the games would be tailored for its hardware...which is essentially last generation. Waggle does not add enough to most genres to warrant this. Traditional games on the Wii would suffer greatly.

Hopefully it will carve out its own market.

Mrbob

If you get out of the video game realm for a second, what amazes me is despite low PS3 hardware Blu Ray is currently spanking the shiznit out of HD DVD at the moment. And I suspect the same thing is going to happen in Europe after the PS3 launches.

sol_bad said:

the ps2 NEVER EVER EVER only sold as little as what the ps3 just sold in any month of it's existance. that's your perspective. even in it's worse month of all time, the PS2 sold more than the PS3 sold in february.

will it take until april's npd with it's probable 5 figure sales number (given that historically april sales are about 1/2 to 2/3rds of february) to get the message to you?

felipeko said:

Wait a few years? I ain't waiting for shit, 360/Ps3 are here baby.

But how some can wait another 5 years...you guys think you gonna live forever? How can you wait?

And nintendo will add horsepower? I don't care about what Nintendo does or doesn't do, i'm more concerned about what MS and Sony might or not do.

Right now, i wanna se a price cut, with the games coming out this year and a pricecut, i see no reason for the 360 to not beat the Wii, and sony should do the same.

I don't want the Wii to fail, hell i bought a damm Cube, i like Nintendo, i also have a DS..the thing is, the way some of you guys put things is scary son. Hopefully some of you guys don't know shit about how this works, and things will turn out Fine.

fanduck

sol_bad said:

Wow, Everybody has missed the obvious answer. 1 year ago, you still couldn't find an Xbox 360! They were still being sold out. PS3 on the other hand is very plentiful in stock. That's the difference.

People wanted 360's back then, they just couldn't find them.

Mrbob said:
If you get out of the video game realm for a second, what amazes me is despite low PS3 hardware Blu Ray is currently spanking the shiznit out of HD DVD at the moment. And I suspect the same thing is going to happen in Europe after the PS3 launches.

not really that amazing when you realize that HD DVD is just an addon for the 360 while its standard with ps3. Also Blue Ray Cased look so much better. I mean whoever chose the colour blue is a genious....for some reason it looks so much more hi-techy than HD DVD cases:lol

felipeko said:
I think it's perfectly reasonable to want current tech in a console, I don't think the Wii will dominate in NA so it's not a huge concern, but count me as a person who thinks the 360/PS3 is the right level of tech for this period and especially into 2008 and beyond.

A few years is a long time, I can't be the only one who wouldn't want to play with last gen tech till 2011.

FrankT

fanduck said:
Wow, Everybody has missed the obvious answer. 1 year ago, you still couldn't find an Xbox 360! They were still being sold out. PS3 on the other hand is very plentiful in stock. That's the difference.

People wanted 360's back then, they just couldn't find them.

Yea dude, you can tell trolls that all day long, yet they never seem to get that through their thick head. :lol

spwolf

Is it really that suprising? PS3 had 1 awful game come out in 2 months of Jan/Feb and thats it. It should be the worst month for PS3.

March and April on the other hand... 15 new games, blockbuster movie... now if they dont manage to get it up in March and April, then there is an problem...

PS2 sales on the other hand... Both hardware and software is kicking arse...

For PS3, looking at attach rates, there are at least 100,000 PS3's purchased as BD players only.

GhaleonEB

spwolf said:
Is it really that suprising? PS3 had 1 awful game come out in 2 months of Jan/Feb and thats it. It should be the worst month for PS3.

March and April on the other hand... 15 new games, blockbuster movie... now if they dont manage to get it up in March and April, then there is an problem...

Yes it is surprising. The reigning champ just had their system, four months out the door and readily available everwhere, sell not only worse than the 360 has so far, but worse than the PS2 ever has in its entire lifecycle. March will not change this much at all. It's all about the price.

Eteric Rice

I love how everyone is praying to God that a $400 and $600 game system wins. Thanks for trying to price me out of the market, guys. :/

Go Wii!

spwolf said:

For PS3, looking at attach rates, there are at least 100,000 PS3's purchased as BD players only.
the only PS2 game to get into the top 10 in the software charts comes out for xbox 360 next month... just something to mull over.

of those 15 new games how many do you think will move PS3s?

are you saying Virtua Fighter 5 (which came out Feb 20th) is awful?

march is a slower month for sales than february. april is a slower month for sales than march. heck april is the slowest month of the year.

if the PS3 could MAINTAIN it's february sales in april that would be a huge turnaround. expecting them to go up is crazy.

dark10x

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, I get to sit around for a year or more waiting for that. Sounds like fun. :lol

Sorry, not paying over $300 for a game system, ever.
So saving $50 warrants 5 years of lower spec gaming?

A console is a ONE TIME EXPENSE. You can get a 360 for $50 more than a Wii!

GameGamer

felipeko said:

Cheap horsepower isn't really considered current horsepower.

I'm pretty sure it has always taken money for the high end of anything.

Just about anyone can grab a few sensors and make a Wii type control with gesture recog.

I like the angle Nintendo took. IMO, they knew they couldn't fight in the same tech ring as MS and Sony and make money. So they went for fun and inexpensive. It was a good call.

Mrbob

Yeah I agree that MS should drop the price on the X360 now rather than later, and capitalize on the slow beginnings of the PS3.

If you look at X360 hardware sales in non holiday season, the system averages 55K/week. In Feb 07, despite the PS3 having an extremely rough month, the Xbox 360 only sold about 55K/week again. MS needs to be reactive to the current market conditions, and stop waiting on Halo 3 to do everything for them. MS did not capitalize at all on the slow PS3 sales month of Feb.

Merovingian said:
Wait a few years? I ain't waiting for shit, 360/Ps3 are here baby.

But how some can wait another 5 years...you guys think you gonna live forever? How can you wait?

And nintendo will add horsepower? I don't care about what Nintendo does or doesn't do, i'm more concerned about what MS and Sony might or not do.

Right now, i wanna se a price cut, with the games coming out this year and a pricecut, i see no reason for the 360 to not beat the Wii, and sony should do the same.

I don't want the Wii to fail, hell i bought a damm Cube, i like Nintendo, i also have a DS..the thing is, the way some of you guys put things is scary son. Hopefully some of you guys don't know shit about how this works, and things will turn out Fine.

the fear in posts like these is so sad, yet laughable :lol

seriously, they're just videogames, sony & ms are multi-million dollar, international companies. they're not gonna stop making games.

you'll keep getting your games and the so-called non-gamers will get theirs.

you remind me of the gamecube era nintendo fanboys who were crying because sports games/sequels/licensed crap were taking over the industy, yet nintendo didn't stop making games. the cube my have suffered but it still survived.

my point is everything will be fine, no need to worry.

KINGMOKU

MickeyKnox said:
Before there is anymore rampant fanboy delusions I think this needs to be said.

The PS2 style domination where one company hold more market share than the other two combined is not happening again. Nor do Sony or Ms necessarily want that kind of dynamic in the first place. Whoever the "victor" is, it will be by a much closer margin than last gen.

And that is probably what's best for the industry in terms of keeping things competitive and insuring decent length hardware cycles.
Um, dont be to quick to state that. The Wii is currently outselling the PS2 in the same time frame by a pretty hefty margin, with ZERO lack of demand, and the 360 is only a hair above the original XBOX. If demand continues for the Wii, and Nintendo starts to produce more, it could, in its first year, really produce some spectacular results.

The Wii has the best start ever, and if it keeps up, it could reach a sick install base.

dark10x

Eteric Rice said:
I could get the "gimped" 360 for $50 more.

No thanks.
...and why do you say that?

Like the Wii, you'd have to buy certain components separately. That is inline with previous console generations. Nintendo is the one ripping you off this time.

GitarooMan said:
I think it's perfectly reasonable to want current tech in a console, I don't think the Wii will dominate in NA so it's not a huge concern, but count me as a person who thinks the 360/PS3 is the right level of tech for this period and especially into 2008 and beyond.

A few years is a long time, I can't be the only one who wouldn't want to play with last gen tech till 2011.

Its funny that your screen name is a PS2 game that could have been done on a PSOne and you're complaining about games being made with 'last gen tech' as though they're automatically bad games.

Eteric Rice

dark10x said:
...and why do you say that?

Like the Wii, you'd have to buy certain components separately. That is inline with previous console generations. Nintendo is the one ripping you off this time.

Um, I have a Wii. I didn't have to buy seperate components.

And ripping me off? The Wii might not be some hugely powerful system, but at least I could afford it without paying nearly a half a grand for it.

Jeeze.

dark10x

And ripping me off? The Wii might not be some hugely powerful system, but at least I could afford it without paying nearly a half a grand for it.
You didn't have to buy a video cable? Wonderful, then the only component you'd need to purchase for XBOX360 is a memory card (just like PS2). You're paying a little more for a LOT more.

Nintendo can manufacture a Wii for $135. They are selling to the system for well over cost and making a serious profit.

Is money really THAT tight? It's a ONE TIME cost and it's just slightly higher than the Wii.

FrankT

Eteric Rice said:

Jeeze.

You can complain about price all day my friend, but don't expect for the rest of the world to agree with your opinion.

Thanks for trying to price me out of the market, guys. :/

Asinine statement at best.

fanduck

dark10x said:
You didn't have to buy a video cable? Wonderful, then the only component you'd need to purchase for XBOX360 is a memory card (just like PS2). You're paying a little more for a LOT more.

Nintendo can manufacture a Wii for $135. They are selling to the system for well over cost and making a serious profit.

Is money really THAT tight? It's a ONE TIME cost and it's just slightly higher than the Wii.

Crazy to think a company would sell a system for a profit!

MrNyarlathotep said:
Its funny that your screen name is a PS2 game that could have been done on a PSOne and you're complaining about games being made with 'last gen tech' as though they're automatically bad games.
This argument always comes up and it's ridiculous. Just because I like old games doesn't mean I don't want to see new games as well using newer technology. I like playing old games and I like progress at the same time, is that hard to comprehend? I don't think old games are automatically bad, but would I want new games to look like PS1 games? No.

And yes, I know that Wii is progress in one aspect before I hear the "PS3/360 are last gen controls" line...

dark10x

fanduck said:
Crazy to think a company would sell a system for a profit!
Oh, it's certainly not crazy at all. It's very smart.

In this case, however, it has a negative impact on gamers. They skimped on the hardware and it will directly effect the games released for the machine. It seems a lot of people just don't care, though. Positive for Nintendo, negative for us.

HokieJoe

Mrbob said:

The launch of the PS3 has bought Bluray some time, but if PS3 sales keep tracking this pitifully, Bluray could have heaps of trouble going forward.

HokieJoe

ziran said:
However, I doubt 360 support is going to dry up totally, it has a big enough installed base of enthusiastic people who buy a lot of games, so 3rd parties will continue to support it.

Why would 360 support dry up? Because of the Wii?

I don't have anything against Nintendo or the Wii, but do not mistake that one of the biggest factors driving Wii sales right now is the price. Yes, it's got waggle, but even without waggle the PS2 is outselling the 360 and PS3. Not everyone is gaming nerd like we NeoGAF denizens. For the casual set, price matters.

All that said, when the PS3/360 drop in price, increased sales will follow IMO.

Top Bottom