• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

danielreis

Neo Member
Most likely no Nintendo PR for this. The results are too bad for the Wii U...they can't spin this.

This is nothing! Piece of cake! There are people to spin nuclear meltdowns. Oil spills. Presidencial sex scandals. Mass frauds. Bad medications that causes cancer. Now, those are challenges.

If their PR team can't spin this, they are part of the problem.

I also bought a Wii U in november and I think it is great. The bigger issue is how they compete with current gen pricewise and with the next gen hype, info. The price is not helping with the casual market, and they are not spending in marketing yet as there are no games which is smart IMHO.

I am one of those who thinks this gen could go even longer. I dont have a lot of time for gaming and I also have a PS3 and I will not buy a Ps4 day 1. I will squeeze everything out of my PS3, I have a huge backlog and there are some amazing games that I do not own yet.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Repost:

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent/status/302240831761440769

5qs9fJP.jpg

UfIa3x1.jpg

LPMVkdV.jpg

RM8

Maaaan, poor WiiU. But it's perfectly understandable, it has a piss poor exclusive library at the moment. I really hope WiiU finds some success in the end, but at this point I see it definitely in third place this generation.

Azure J

You forgot the eighth problem. The hardware doesn't show us anything that looks like an improvement over current gen consoles that have been out for more than half a decade. I wonder how long people are going to ignore this issue.

I assumed that was what he meant by no "killer app".

EDIT: Wario's last screencap... No words.

Lol.

So it's ok to play games with a controller like Xbox or PS has but as soon as you put a screen in it the fun is gone.

Makes sense.

I agree with him, to some extent. It has nothing to do with the controller - two screens is dumb. You can't look at both at the same time. It only works well for a few, limited concepts. Off-screen play is nice, but it's probably not worth it at the high cost, both in R&D and MSRP.

On the other hand, it's still a gimmick, and with the right marketing, gimmicks can sell. It could still be a selling point if they can hit on one of those limited concepts that grabs people's attention.

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy that poor hardware/software sales leads to poor support which leads to poor sales, etc. That's absolutely true. But who do you think should shoulder the risk or investment to break the cycle? It's not going to be Ubisoft. Ubisoft will survive just fine if Nintendo disappears overnight. They like having as many sources of revenue as possible, of course.
This is really something a lot of people refuse to acknowledge.

While third party publishers prefer to have more platforms on which to sell, they do not need Nintendo, when there are viable alternatives for their products.

Conversely, people refuse to believe that Nintendo's first party, regardless of how strong its IPs may be, may not be enough to sustain a system, without some sort of Wii Sports-like phenomenon.
---
EDIT: Just saw software sales. Wow..

GavinGT

Banned
Lol.

So it's ok to play games with a controller like Xbox or PS has but as soon as you put a screen in it the fun is gone.

Makes sense.

The touchscreen is the main draw of the system and it hasn't captured the imaginations of the gaming public. If people aren't behind the touchscreen concept they probably aren't going to buy a Wii U.

Eusis

I wonder if they're really screwed, or if it's premature to use January numbers given how slow it is now? It's not a good sign though, no.

I also suspect that if they ONLY released NSMBU and not NSMB2 it would've helped the Wii U's case significantly. People who just want new Mario had a cheaper alternative.

LuuKyK

Ouch at these WiiU numbers. Nintendo really should not have expected that they would sell consoles only based on the Wii name. Also, lol Vita.

Maaaan, poor WiiU. But it's perfectly understandable, it has a piss poor exclusive library at the moment. I really hope WiiU finds some success in the end, but at this point I see it definitely in third place this generation.

Sometimes it's hard to believe I'm actually reading what I think I am

1. They based their entire console around a concept that isn't fun.

"Not fun" is a bit overly subjective for my taste, but the Game Pad is certainly much less intuitive and immediately appealing a concept than "your motions in real life become motions in the game!"

Scum

So, we all know what problems the Wii U has. Care to rank them?

1. No "killer app" a la Wii Sports, Halo, Super Mario 64
2. Poor game library / 3rd party support
3. Brand confusion / people think it's a Wii accessory / not called the Wii 2 or new brand name
4. Weak hardware (contributes to #2)
5. Price
6. Poor marketing / people unaware it exists
7. Bad word of mouth
8. Bad online "account" system / bad online in general

1 and 6

Davey Cakes

1. They based their entire console around a concept that isn't fun.
The Gamepad? That thing is a blast to use, especially in games like Nintendo Land where it's put at the forefront.

The concept of the system isn't the problem at all. The features of it are innovative and interesting. The thing is priced a bit too high, doesn't have a strong software lineup (even though I think the launch is underrated), and was marketed terribly.

Nintendo needs to put this thing into peoples' hands. They need to do what they did with Wii and really stress that people try it first. "Playing is believing" and all that.

Top Bottom