• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Slurmer

Banned
I played Mario on the wii u and thought it was pretty cool. Kinda hard to believe its struggling so much after the wii...lack of novelty I guess.

$15M for WiiU software is terribad. Might even be worse than hardware. 250k total software units (15M/$60 = 250k pieces of software --- maybe more depending on avg selling price).

Wonder if that includes bundled hardware.

FrankT

iblo5ZGO74iF6A.gif

Haha.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I agree with him, to some extent. It has nothing to do with the controller - two screens is dumb. You can't look at both at the same time. It only works well for a few, limited concepts. Off-screen play is nice, but it's probably not worth it at the high cost, both in R&D and MSRP.

You obviously haven't played with it a bunch. It is so far from dumb, in fact for my friends and me it is one of the best gaming platforms of all time. The user experience is enhanced so much by the addition of the second screen.

However, I would say that the fact that you don't find this appealing points to one of the major shortcomings of the console: it's freaking hard to market. Making people understand how the gamepad will improve their experience is nigh impossible.

I agree with him, to some extent. It has nothing to do with the controller - two screens is dumb. You can't look at both at the same time. It only works well for a few, limited concepts. Off-screen play is nice, but it's probably not worth it at the high cost, both in R&D and MSRP.s

On the other hand, it's still a gimmick, and with the right marketing, gimmicks can sell. It could still be a selling point if they can hit on one of those limited concepts that grabs people's attention.

As a Wii U owner, I really like it. I understand your point though that you can't use both screens at once to play most games. While there are some concepts that can't be done with only one screen, I'm not sure if it was worth the investment at this point.

Like I've said before though, I'm not ready to put a nail in the coffin until this thing isn't selling even with killer software.

Unless Sony has some big surprise for the Vita on the 20th, just kill it. Nintendo dropped all kinds of 3DS bombs today. Vita isn't going to win or even compete in that fight at this point. Nintendo, much like Microsoft with RROD, gave Sony a huge open window to jump through and they didn't take advantage. RIP Vita. 30k in a NPDs period that included an extra week. Jesus.

Wouldn't mind Nintendo just dumping the WiiU off the same cliff they dropped the Wii and just putting every bit of developer focus on the 3DS. Will never happen, but I wouldnt miss the Wii U at all.

PhantomR

Banned
I'll ask again but do you really think Lego City will draw in people Mario couldn't? Lego City is going to sell to current audience Wii u already has. There are a shit ton of Lego games out there. Hell the 3DS version will probably draw those kids in to the cheaper system. That's the problem with Wii U right now. There is nothing big to actually bring a lot of people in and stuff like Lego City and Monster Hunter doesn't change that

Nah, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. There was already a Mario game that was released 3 months prior to NSMBU. Surely that had a little bit of effect on the sales of that game. Lego City is a brand new type of Lego game, on a platform carrying a brand that has strong pull amongst the younger demographic. If we were to do very aggressive marketing, coupled with a Lego City Wii U bundle, I think that'll really help move units off the shelves.

Monster Hunter on the other hand, while awesome...is not going to move units. It'll sell to more of the existing Wii U userbase. That's not a bad thing though....the game may have some ridiculous attach ratios as a result.

braves01

Banned
How amazing would it be if 3ds underperformed too?

At this point, if 3DS underperforms it says more about the market than Nintendo's failings imo. The price point is right, there is quality software out now and the next year looks fantastic for great releases.

Wii U on the otherhand has so many problems going on as a product it's hard to gauge whether market demand for new consoles is weak or the market is just unsatisfied with Wii U or most likely a combo of both.

Virtual Boy sold 770k WW LTD. THis guy is full of shit.

Edit: Also Vita is just dead right now. Sony shouldn't thrown any more money into that sinkhole and focus on PS4.

You obviously haven't played with it a bunch. It is so far from dumb, in fact for my friends and me it is one of the best gaming platforms of all time. The user experience is enhanced so much by the addition of the second screen.

However, I would say that the fact that you don't find this appealing points to one of the major shortcomings of the console: it's freaking hard to market. Making people understand how the gamepad will improve their experience is nigh impossible.

Actually, I spend the first 3 weekends I had it playing Nintendo Land with my girlfriend's family. We put hours and hours into it. Everyone loved it. But they sure didn't $400 love it.

Also, at the end of the 2nd weekend, at least 15 hours of play time, I found out they all thought we were playing on the Wii the whole time, and the only new part was the "Wii U" controller.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
3DS software sales being down is interesting. I really think the handheld market in the US is just in serious trouble. And Wii u will need a miracle to turn around.

Top Bottom