• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Azure J

as far as the wii u goes, it's dead jim. microsoft and sony won't have to worry about that piece of competition. people keep comparing the wii u to the dreamcast. i think the sega saturn is more accurate.

Yeah. As long as Nintendo's management doesn't do anything too loopy, this is Saturn tier. Dreamcast is when ALL the money's gone, dev houses/dvision branches start in-fighting with one another and no one knows what the actual fuck happened to the franchises they started with.

Meelow

Banned
I hope the Vita picks up. The Wii U deserves its sales while I really don’t think the Vita does. It's not fair.

So your saying you think the Wii U deserved bad sales?

Wonder what will happen if the PS4 and Xbox 720 have the same sales or even lower, we should worry about the whole industry than.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Ok try again...

wiiu-dies-in-the-swamxdu1e.gif

get a haircut, kajima.

3DS really has no competition because Vita is such a flop. That's why it was able to recover from its launch.

Wii U isn't so lucky. Microsoft and Sony are better positioned to appeal to pretty much every market.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
At this point I think just want the Vita to bomb so they will drop the price so I can fucking get one just for Persona 4. .
You and I both. Hacked hardware would incentive me too.
SailorDaravon said:
Hardware is incredible, but there is jack shit for games I want on it, and doesn't look like a whole lot coming out anytime soon either (unless they drop some major bombs next week).
Neogaf1.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't know if Wii U sold worse than VB but it is funny to see how many people get offended at the idea and call for Twitter Guy's head.

I just read through every post since at guy's tweet was posted and nowhere did I see anyone "calling for his head" or even getting "offended."

Not hard to do it anonymously...

One, what's the point? If vague numbers from a source that we can actually question aren't good enough, why would specific, unsourced numbers be better? Two, I've heard -- but obviously have no way of knowing if it's true -- that there are slight discrepancies in numbers that would make it potentially doable to track a leak. So of we see certain specific numbers out in the wild, we know where they came from.

But again, take that with a grain of salt.

Striek

Did the VB really sold ~800k on its first 3 months in the USA? I thought it was way worse than that.
Probably comparing 3rd month platform sales only, and only in the US.

Which is kinda valid.

The Wii U is currently ahead of PS3/360 for first 3 month total. But its January, its rapid decline, is terrible, so overall the launch is much worse than either of those platforms.

javac

Unless Sony has some big surprise for the Vita on the 20th, just kill it. Nintendo dropped all kinds of 3DS bombs today. Vita isn't going to win or even compete in that fight at this point. Nintendo, much like Microsoft with RROD, gave Sony a huge open window to jump through and they didn't take advantage. RIP Vita. 30k in a NPDs period that included an extra week. Jesus.

Wouldn't mind Nintendo just dumping the WiiU off the same cliff they dropped the Wii and just putting every bit of developer focus on the 3DS. Will never happen, but I wouldnt miss the Wii U at all.

With that attitude, Nintendo should have dumped 3DS after the poor launch too. Let me guess "bububu but handheld!" Nintendo handhelds don't sell well inherently, they put effort behind them, even during the bad times. If they did the same with Wii U, what do ya know!

Portugeezer

Don't know if Wii U sold worse than VB but it is funny to see how many people get offended at the idea and call for Twitter Guy's head.

Some of us weren't in the know back in the VB days, some people would have believed it... actually I think it will stick for some time now, people will see that pic, not read much of this thread.

Smellycat

You know, if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo is in the handheld market and that it owns it, people would be talking about a potential dreamcast situation, where they turn into a third party.

February is going to be even worse... I am not looking forward to it.

Coolwhip

Banned
There is no turning the Wii U around. At most they'll turn it from the epic disaster it is currently into Gamecube 2.0.

There is no DS/3DS turnaround happening in the console spectrum. There's far too much competition and other factors going against them.

You can't say that. The chances might be slim, but if Nintendo somehow manages to pull out a Wii Sports hit everything can change.

Before you can declare Wii U dead there are still key points happening in the near future:
- the release of major IPs, the Wii U not selling right now should be no surprise looking at the library, the question is wether Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart etc. can turn it around
- The new consoles will release at 400+ dollars, ps360 will get abandoned completely, leaving Wii U as the cheap alternative

One of those need to be turning points, if not, then Wii U is doomed.

35k for the Vita? Sony, you're gonna need a whole lot more than just a tweaked model with HDMI-out and 4G. You gotta price drop that sucker ASAP, or at least go back to offering a system+game+memory card bundle (e.g. an Uncharted bundle).

55k for the Wii U is also pretty pathetic, even for a post-holiday drop-off.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We have no idea how 3ds did. Other than software sales are down 4% for 3ds compared to last year from ign which is alarming for a system that is still fairly young with a lot more software than it did last year.

As I said earlier, it is dominating Japan and had a great holiday here. It's fine. It's no GBA/DS, which no dedicated game device ever will be again.

volpone

Banned
I'm probably gonna get shit for this but considering that the Wii U is essentially the Wii HD Pachter was completely on the money. The Wii U should have hit the market in 2010 at the latest.

I'm a Nintendo fan but I'm not gonna sugarcoat the reality that this console is in a pretty desperate situation. Nintendo have my sympathies however. What can a company do in a situation like this. Western developers just aren't interested. Even the colossal success of the Wii couldn't cultivate a friendly ecosystem for their titles.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So are we gonna see press releases touting the sales of the "Nintendo family" of products now or were sales too low across a Ninty platforms for even that?

Yamauchi

Banned
For Mr. Iwata:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

With that attitude, Nintendo should have dumped 3DS after the poor launch too. Let me guess "bububu but handheld!" Nintendo handhelds don't sell well inherently, they put effort behind them, even during the bad times. If they did the same with Wii U, what do ya know!

Does 3DS have any real competition? Not unless you count Apple/Google. Does the Wii U? Yes. And that competition is about to release two brand new consoles with tons of software support that the Wii U will never get. If you think the situations are anything alike, you're dreaming.

NeededSleep

Holy shit@ wii u news. Really hope that it gets better for them.

But it's a bad name. Bad marketing, and honestly would mind seeing regie removed from his own position as head of NOA for it. But can't place all the blame on him unfortunately.

Really hope they can pull through. Competition is good.

That is and I'd like to see X come over to the states :(

Kifimbo

Doesn't bode well for the next two consoles. Especially since they are gonna be more expensive. They'll need a killer app like Mario 64 (N64) and Halo (Xbox) IMO.

Top Bottom