• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July Hardware numbers and some interesting facts

Doogdogg

JC10001 said:
What are you kidding me? The cube has a lot of great games. I don't know of anyone would wouldn't buy one for $79 with a free game (besides fanboys). That's a freaking steal, IMO and during the holidays moms and dads would be buying them left and right.

The types of games Nintendo has mostly are sold only to N-bots, they got very few others that attracts the competition.

Lukas

Banned
what if Nintendo has a suprsise up their sleeve and releases the new realistic Zelda game in December?

or how bought bundling the Cube with the DS :p

AirBrian

Laurent said:
Wait, wait, wait... I know EXACTLY what to do to make GameCube sales rise once for all! Make lots of...

1. Diversified
2. Advertized
3. Excelent

...games!
1. Check
2. Check
3. Check

You see, it's not about the games -- it's about perception.

Doogdogg

Lukas said:
what if Nintendo has a suprsise up their sleeve and releases the new realistic Zelda game in December?

or how bought bundling the Cube with the DS :p

While at it, throw in a Mario blow up doll. :rolleyes:

Laurent

AirBrian said:
1. Check
2. Check
3. Check

I meant that they need to UPDATE they library with NEW diversified, advertized and excelent games... I know GameCube has lots of quality games, but they were all published at least 6 months ago (if not a year or two)!

BeOnEdge

Banned
nintendo is all sorts of screwed this christmas when it comes to GC. i predicted this would happen last year when they dropped the price so low. DS will save their holiday and mark the beginning of nintendo being the handheld only company* or not. :)

*until the PSP hits. ouch.

AirBrian said:
1. Check
2. Check
3. Check

The GC doesn't have a diversified lineup at all, especially not with Nintendos own in house developed games. That's their main problem.

Lukas

Banned
Actually forget what I said about Nintendo not dropping the price anymore. They will probably drop it to 70 dollars this Holidary or have a 99 dollar bundle with 2 popular games.

Chi-Town

Nintendo had a good chance to make up some ground after the price drop before the holidays last year but the 1st quarter shortage destroyed the momentum they picked up.

Broshnat

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Nintendo doesn't have a diversified lineup at all, especially not with their in house developed games. That's their main problem.

What????

How can you say that... what is it that you want?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Broshnat said:
What????

Mature titles for starters. Like it or not most third parties and the general public pinned the Gamecube as a system thats just for kids from the word go. Nintendo should have tried to change that perception. They should have tried to get GTA-DP, Driv3r (as shitty as it is, its still better than nothing), and a bunch of other stuff.

AirBrian

SolidSnakex said:
The GC doesn't have a diversified lineup at all, especially not with Nintendos own in house developed games. That's their main problem.
Huh? What genre specifically? Granted, some are weaker than others and they might not have as much as PS2 or Xbox, but the games still exist.

FPSs
Racers
RPGs
Platformers
Action
Fighting
Sports
Wrestling
Stealth
Puzzle

What am I missing?

Wow. very sad indeed for the Cube. Not deserved at all.

When it all comes down to it though, it's all about image. Sony + Microsoft = Cool
Nintendo = Lame (to the general public)

sad really.

wazoo

Nintendo is in the same position the N64 would be without Golden Eye. What they need is a mature 3rd party exclusive. It is not something you can invent every day. They bet on Resident Evil. Unless RE4 is a big surprise (sales wise), it will be not the good choice, but this is hardly Nintendo's fault.

Grubdog

Banned
JC10001 said:
Mature titles for starters. Like it or not most third parties and the general public pinned the Gamecube as a system thats just for kids from the word go. Nintendo should have tried to change that perception. They should have tried to get GTA-DP, Driv3r (shitty as is its still better than nothing), and a bunch of other stuff.
I don't want Nintendo changing like that just because people are idiots though. The games are there, they just need to advertise them better.

Lukas

Banned
clipunderground said:

When it all comes down to it though, it's all about image. Sony + Microsoft = Cool

sad really.

thats what happens when your console is a purple box with a handle....

Doogdogg

AirBrian said:
Huh? What genre specifically? Granted, some are weaker than others and they might not have as much as PS2 or Xbox, but the games still exist.

What am I missing?

System exclusives. That's plural, remember.

Broshnat said:
What????

Look at Sony or MS own first party lineups for example. They've got stuff that range from games clearly geared toward kids (or everyone as its called), and games that are geared toward adults. With Nintendo they don't make games geared specifically toward adults (other than the stuff SK released for them). I'm talking about The Getaway/HALO/God of War type stuff. That's how they could actually diversify their lineup outside of a fanbase that's already installed. Nintendo seems to refuse to do that and instead just keeps going along with the same fanbase instead of doing anything to try to expand it.

The 2 companies that actually made games like that (RARE and SK) were dumped by Nintendo basically. No ones saying that Nintendo would have to focus completely on mature games and stop making the games they've been making for years altogether. But if Sony and MS can have lineups like they do, why can't Nintendo?

Laurent

Broshnat said:
What????

1. More story oriented games... I liked RPG like Final Fantasy X and Shenmue;
2. More original fighting games... Something different than Super Smash Bros: Melee - Capcom support in that department would be welcome;
3. More original shooter/spy games... Geist might be interesting, but it takes forever to be released - Metal Gear Solid was good, but remakes aren't new;
4. More original non-futuristic-à-la-Wipeout-or-F-Zero-racing gamees... F-Zero GC was excelent, and Mario Kart was surely fun, but what about a car game for a change?

And before you say it, I already bought a PS2... ;oP

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Grubdog said:
I don't want Nintendo changing like that just because people are idiots though. The games are there, they just need to advertise them better.

How does paying $$$ to third parties to make sure that mature titles make it to their system change Nintendo? Nintendo would still be the same.

They should push for a GTA-TP or just a port of GTA:SA, IMO. It'd be better than nothing.

Laurent

Grubdog said:
People aren't idiots, they just know what they want. They want games that PS2 and X-Box offers. So they buy those consoles. If Nintendo wants to sell consoles, they need to be competitive. But I don't think that's what they want. They want to keep the market share they already have by not risking much. That's clever but not as lucrative as it could be.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Woah, the Cube numbers are pretty horrible. But then again, Nintendo really didn't have much of a software lineup in July other than Tales.

Solid

Well it's Nintendo's own fault. Personally I couldn't care less about them. After they dumped Rare and SK I gave up on them. They don't seem to like me since they throw everything away that I want. :|

Laurent

Deepthroat said:
Well it's Nintendo's own fault. Personally I couldn't care less about them. After they dumped Rare and SK I gave up on them. They don't seem to like me since they throw everything away that I want. :|
Rare? Are they still in the business? ;oP

Doogdogg

AirBrian said:
And what does a game's exclusiveness have to do with genre?

Exclusive games ARE the system seller. GameCube lacks many exclusives in many genres. How do you expect your system to sell when these can be found on another console, but not the GC?

Broshnat

Banned
clipunderground said:

sad really.

Hit the nail on the head....

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Nintendo has only itself to blame, it will only get worse if they release another console unless they make radically different marketing and development decisions in the next generation.

Deku Tree

GC is lost in July because of third party high profile games games like Spiderman 2 and Sports games.

PS2 has the large userbase so alot of people buy it.
xbox has the "best version" of multiplatform games.
GC gets stuck in the middle with no major selling point for the big third party games.

SantaC

I don't want Gamecube to become exactly like xbox. I love the Nintendo games, and I will continue to buy their games to the bitter end.

On a positive note, the GBA outsold the PS2 with 110k.

Broshnat

Banned
Laurent said:
1. More story oriented games... I liked RPG like Final Fantasy X and Shenmue;
2. More original fighting games... Something different than Super Smash Bros: Melee - Capcom support in that department would be welcome;
3. More original shooter/spy games... Geist might be interesting, but it takes forever to be released - Metal Gear Solid was good, but remakes aren't new;
4. More original non-futuristic-à-la-Wipeout-or-F-Zero-racing gamees... F-Zero GC was excelent, and Mario Kart was surely fun, but what about a car game for a change?

And before you say it, I already bought a PS2... ;oP

1) Zelda wipes the floor, Tales Of Symphonia etc
2) Soul Calibur 2
3) True, this is where Rare would have been welcome with a proper Goldeneye / PD sequel
4) Again, true.

It's a vicious circle though.

People think Nintendo consoles are for Kids and so don't buy them if they want serious games, so sports games / realistic racers etc don't sell, so companies stop making them for cube so it becomes a family-orientated console.

The cycle needs to be broken somehow!

Doogdogg

capslock said:
Nintendo has only itself to blame, it will only get worse if they release another console unless they make radically different marketing and development decisions in the next generation.

With decisions like selling Rare to a competition, where they already got them by the balls, was simply a bad move.

Perfect Dark could've been a launch title to kick off their next console, but no, now it's in the hands of the house of Halo, which will outsell every Nintendo in house title on GC.

Brilliant move, Nintendo. Now start digging your graves while you still got muscles.

Deg

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Hey, I don't give a shit what others have said in previous times. I have never said anything of the sort regarding GC...until now.

Really? ;)

RE4 was the big title this year for GC. MP2 and Pikmin 2 and the others are simply not enough for newcomers to the system, IMO. These titles are good for those that already bought the system for the first installments. RE4 is needed badly.

Uhuh and i wonder whats big on the other systems?

Deg

Banned
Dark Dragon said:
With decisions like selling Rare to a competition, where they already got them by the balls, was simply a bad move.

Perfect Dark could've been a launch title to kick off their next console, but no, now it's in the hands of the house of Halo, which will outsell every Nintendo in house title on GC.

Brilliant move, Nintendo. Now start digging your graves while you still got muscles.

PD is worth nothing. Never was worth anything. Rare doing their original franhcise is the dumbest move in the industry. It hink Nintendo lost alot confidence in that period with Rare.

Halo is the only inhouse title of MS to actually sell anything. The rest are flops ;) Nintendo on the other hand have many multimillion selling titles. So 1 game is well rounded lineup now?

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"Uhuh and i wonder whats big on the other systems?"

There's no way you can possibly be serious with this response.

So you call Gt4, GTA SA, Halo 2, HL2 etc. 'original games'? Never knew you would stoop so low SSX :p

Lukas said:
thats what happens when your console is a purple box with a handle....

No that's what happens when people are too immature to understand it's just a system design, not an Icon of how adult one is or isn't. People just follow. That's what they do.

"PD is worth nothing. Never was worth anything. "

It's worth more in terms of bringing in new gamers than anything else in Nintendo's own lineup since it's basically completely different from anything else they make.

SantaC

Well I am 24 years old, and I don't see Nintendo games as kiddy. Nor do my friends. Sure it's fun to blow up stuff with the blood pouring, but that doesn't automaticly make a game fun.

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"PD is worth nothing. Never was worth anything. "

It's worth more in terms of bringing in new gamers than anything else in Nintendo's own lineup since it's basically completely different from anything else they make.

Looking at sales of TWINE and PD. It was never going to happen.

Doogdogg

Deg said:
PD is worth nothing. Never was worth anything.

Halo is the only inhouse title of MS to actually sell anything. The rest are flops ;) Nintendo on the other hand have many multimillion selling titles.

To sell anything? Halo = one hell of a system seller.

Can't say the same for Nintendo titles this generation. When games like Mario, Zelda are being outsold by newcomer Halo, there's definately something wrong.

If it proves anything, Mario and Zelda are no longer strong system seller as they once were if the cube are outsell by X-Box every month 2:1.

AirBrian

Dark Dragon said:
Exclusive games ARE the system seller. GameCube lacks many exclusives in many genres. How do you expect your system to sell when these can be found on another console, but not the GC?
I’ll give you that, but I thought we were talking about diversity. Just because people don’t buy third-party games on GCN doesn’t mean they don’t exist. ;)

I think we’re getting into semantics. Someone said GCN didn’t have a diversified library – that statement is wrong. However, the number of exclusives per genre could definitely be improved – that I agree with. But again, like I said in my original post, it’s not about the games. It’s the perception that’s killing GCN sales. Sure some great exclusive titles could help, but not significantly. At this point, I'm not sure much can be done to change GCN's perception. I do see Nintendo taking some steps though to help the Revolution.

Broshnat

Banned
The thing I find difficult if you're going to suggest that Mario, Zelda etc are not big names anymore- why do they still sell so well on the GBA?

You have remakes of old SNES and NES games selling in the millions.

SantaC

explodet said:
I don't think they released ANYTHING worth playing for the GBA in July, yet it did this much. Probably carried over some from June.

No but the GBA has a huge libary of games that are worth playing.

Deg

Banned
Dark Dragon said:
To sell anything? Halo = one hell of a system seller.

Can't say the same for Nintendo titles this generation. When games like Mario, Zelda are being outsold by newcomer Halo, there's definately something wrong.

If it proves anything, Mario and Zelda are no longer strong system seller as they once were if the cube are outsell by X-Box every month 2:1.

No one thing ever sells a system. Halo most certainly didnt sell Xbox on its own ;)
Mario and Zelda have done very well and despite biong out less longer and having far more heavyweight competiton on the system. I wouldnt call SSBM a system seller even if its sold as much as Halo worldwide. Also the Xbox doesnt outsell cube 2:1 every month otherwise sales would reflect that. Problem with Xbox is that it lacks many mutlimillion selling titles its easy for Halo to clean up there.

Top Bottom